Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good experience to learn about Health Insurance Industry
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 6, 2016
Worked there for almost 6 years. Management and co-workers were wonderful and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with adherence, quality and production numbers. Couldn't take breaks on time because had to take sometimes long calls and got penalized for that. Quality rate expected to be at 95% and up.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping members and making them feel that the Company cares.
I enjoyed my job and the Company a lot but they are always doing lots of laid offs with out considering loosing good employees.
Pros
Free coffee, some employees can work from home
Cons
Lots of stress, very hard to get time off approved.
Best Job I've EVER had!!! ♡♡♡♡♡
Claims Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 6, 2016
This is the ideal position for an introvert such as myself. I dont have to talk to anyone, the job is very independent (no micromanaging), work from home opportunities and Ive been blessed with a manager who recognizes potential in people and supports us in growth goals. There is an onsite cafeteria, full benefits, company matching 401K, amazing shift flexibility. The pay is ok.....average. It could be better but with all of the opportunities available there is no reason you can't make your salary what you want it to be.
Pros
Independence, Flexibility, Work from home, cafeteria, education reimbursement, gym reimbursement, great management
Cons
Pay
Busy and exciting workplace
WFM Analyst Sr (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2016
Forecasting call volumes Scheduling the teams hours to ensure proper phone coverage to meet SLA's for the Telesales team. Real time monitoring agents with CCPulse. CCPulse development of workspaces and views. Reporting for Agent adherence and for VQ KPI's, on Daily, Weekly, Monthly basis. Genesys Configuration Manager organizing agent groups for proper reporting, skilling of agents, DN management so agents can get calls and building of call routing within CME. Building of VQs,DNGs,VAGs,icri VAGs...etc Call Flow creation and maintain documentation. Call routing and reporting matrix. Technical documentation
Pros
Flexible Shifts work from home
Cons
No control over your future.
Excellent Benefits
Benefits and Pension (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2016
This is a rewarding position for someone who can multitask and work efficiently under little supervision. Loved working here, and probably would have still been employed here if my position was not outsourced.
Benefits
Cons
Possability of layoffs (at the time)
Typical call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2016
As a call center employee you're powerless to help 90% of the customer base in which you're servicing. Everything is at the hands of internalized structures, you're simply a representative of the company. The work was interesting at first but progressively became more convoluted as time went on. We were often told to transfer members to separate departments and hope they wouldn't get upset. Each call center utilizes its own customer service platform so god help you if you call the wrong customer service number. They'll not be able to locate you and you could be stuck on the hook for hours. Management was also apathetic to this. Our IVR was awful, constantly being maintenanced when it was likely the least of things needed worked on. Many of my coworkers had been there 2+ years and seemed to be dead inside. They don't pay well and raises are scarce. Ironically, their insurance isn't top-notch for its own employees. Personally, I would avoid them unless you're into getting berated for people not paying their premiums or refusing to understand common verbiage like "deductible" or "coinsurance."
Pros
Free parking and workout room
Cons
Low pay, stressful
Cubicle Employment
Membership Representative I (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2016
Anthem was a stable and consistent workplace that offered a flexible schedule which allowed the ability to balance my Job/Work Life accordingly. I enjoyed working with a great many employees who were in turns team-oriented and great to work with. I learned a great deal about the expectations of Medicaid and Medicare guidelines and the hardest part of my job was to remember a great deal of information which was not always readily accessible. The best part of my job there was that I enjoyed working with my colleagues to help write and implement process manuals to help process applications so new employees would not struggle to learn the guidelines for enrollment applications. I was able to use my experience to help be a valuable asset and increase production levels and employee understanding.
Pros
Flexible Schedules.
Cons
Inability to recieve recognition, raises or advance in rank; poor management.
not very fond of managment
customer service (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJanuary 21, 2016
I found that this company is all talk and no production. the managment has attitude and not warm towards employees the bottom line is the concept....
Pros
Cons
everything
Company in a whole
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mason, ohJanuary 18, 2016
I have been working in this department for several months and has been challenging to say the least. The trainer was good but using an outdated training manual verses what you learn from veterans whom have been in this department for 1year or more. The company standards are very harsh to employees whom work here especially when you are getting audited on quality of handling a call, not able to get out of your seat for a period of a time, and not able to have a fun place to work or diversity among fellow employees. I hope in the near future changes come.
Pros
Benefits are ok
Cons
diversity
Dedicated and Caring People
Health Plan Advisor Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 17, 2016
I had the honor of working with some of the most talented and intelligent people ever collected in one office. Management truly cared about their team. Hard work with rewards.
Pros
Great benefits and excellent management team
Cons
Re-organizations & layoffs
VERY high turnover for customer service in Wallingford
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day was getting yelled at by people whose insurance claims were denied. Throw in disrespect from management when you have a question, backstabbing/disrespectful people under the guise of helping you, and inconsistent flexibility with hours "at discretion of management", a coworker who was actually a tad physically aggressive, and invasion of personal medical medical privacy to get the best insurance coverage, and you know what you are up against working for Anthem. In less than a year, half of our beginning training class had left the company.That is something to think about in this economy.
Pros
Beautiful office
Cons
Disrespect, backstabbing. micromanaging

Want to know more about Anthem, Inc.?

Ask a question
Cut-Throat Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteJanuary 11, 2016
I was employed by Anthem for a little over a year. I was given a large amount of responsibility; much more than the other managers in the same position. Immediate supervisor feedback was positive every week and annual evaluation was good. I normally worked 50-60 hrs per week to keep up with the demands. As time went on, it was getting to the point where the job took over more of my personal life until I was doing nothing but working and my health was sliding. One month after my "good" evaluation, I am let go during the national "reorganization" and was told that they could find someone "better to do the job". Upper leadership superseded my immediate supervisor's recommendations and laid me off. No explanation, no closure, no consideration. I have come to learn that they took my responsibilities and divided them up because it was too much work for one person. The leadership in my division has no clue what is going on at the patient/physician/facility interaction level and they really don't care who they roll over or eliminate to try to keep their jobs. Shame on them.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
not a happy place to work
CSR (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2016
I was employed at anthem only a short time but i felt like overall it was not a place for me to really and truly grow when i wasn't properly trained then thrown to the wolves and forced to meet unreal expectations
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
stress beyond belief
good working environment
Bilingual Customer Care Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2016
typical day is to log into informational systems. taking calls from clients to explain their health insurance benefits. took Spanish calls from clients as well. assisted with claims and verified procedure codes. verified benefits and gave benefit options. best part of job was when something was NOT covered and after research and investigation we find code error that allowed a correction to get procedure covered. worse part of job was having to tell parent of autistic child certain therapies were no longer covered.
Pros
free coffee and parking
Cons
downtown traffic
Temporary job
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2016
This job was a temporary job. Insurance open enrollment. So a typical day after training was taking incoming calls from customers seeking to get medical insurance. The hardest part of the day was when systems where down which happened often. The fun part was getting little prizes during the day.
Exceptional company to work for. Great salary/benefits
Provider Connectivity Mgr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 5, 2016
As a full time well compensated associate, I often worked 6-7 days a week and 9-12 hours per day.
Working for this company, I learned the intricate nature of Health Insurance administration.
The hardest parts of the job were the work-life balance and working with a nationwide employer (we were often required to work around the schedules of other states).
The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers and the salary.
Pros
Well compensated.
Cons
Work-life balance.
You get what you put in
Technical Trainer II (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 5, 2016
I started as a temp here in the call center and within 4 years I have had almost the same number of positions resulting from internal application and promotion. You get from this company what you put into it.
Learning and being able to practice what you learned
Asset Management Analyst II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 17, 2015
You learned something new just about every day, Had the best co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of being able to help others get the equipment in that they need in order to get their job completed.
Pros
being able to work from home
Cons
no job security
compensation and benefits
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 12, 2015
Job security and advancement excellent until last 2 years.
Company well founded and recognized for many years.
Working from home was excellent.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
jobs outsourced
Enjoyable Place to Work
Clinical Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2015
I worked for Anthem first as a contractor then I was hired on permanently. This was an enjoyable place to work. I was able to learn a lot with my team.
Overall culture
Provider Services Representative I (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 7, 2015
Overall, Anthem is a good company with great benefits and work/life balance. The pay itself I feel is low considering the difficulty and expectations of the job. I think if I were able to stay there is good advancement opportunity here. My team is great!! They are all helpful and more than willing to share their knowledge and resources. I'm disappointed that I am being laid off. I would have loved to build a career here.
Pros
Insurance and time off
Cons
Pay rate