Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Professional Rollercoaster
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2014
A typical day involves checking e-mail and constantly putting out fires. Getting new hires set up or off boarded properly, requesting system accesses, expense reporting, participating in several conference calls and/or meetings. I learned how to become a master at multi-tasking. Co-workers are pleasant and respectful. The hardest part of this job is the lack of consistency and accountability among management and leadership with regards to policies and procedures. Also, technology makes getting work done difficult as there are various networks throughout the company and very few are merged together. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get a task completed and knowing that I did my best work.
Pros
decent benefits, company is interested in and proactive in employee wellness, very diverse work place
Cons
lack of work/life balance, inefficient parking (some have to park in another building's parking deck a block away), technology is fragmented
Middle management dictates job success or failure
.Net programmer (Former Employee) –  Losa AngelesMarch 18, 2013
Wellpoint is the typical public company where stock price is more important than employees. Although they stress company wide values, at the mid manager level things change a bit. Managers tend to do what they want even if it violates corporate policy. The experience there depends on the manager you get (even if you are a manager). Some managers allow you to work from home and others do not. All depends on the department and the manager. No job security, as the company has had a lot of mergers and acquisitions and major layoffs over the years. A lot of office politics. Basically if you have a great manager and your department is not downsized, life can be okay there. Just too hit a miss. Also, most offices are a cube farm with too many people crammed together. They use speaker phones in cubicles all of the time. Not good for concentration work.
Pros
not many
Cons
average pay rates, flexible schedule depends on manager, no job security
Fast Paced environment with oppertunity for the right individual.
Customer Service Rep III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 2, 2014
Working at WellPoint was a great learning opportunity. WellPoint is a great company to work for and offers a fantastic benefits package available to all full time employees almost on the date of hire. The calls a extremely fast paced in most departments which is great as it makes the day go by faster, however, a person can and does get burnt out easy when there is nothing else to do. Most of the managers are fair as long as you do what is expected of you. The hardest part of the job is that if you do not have the right connections within the company or the right words to say, you will not make it out of customer service to a more professional position, regardless of your skills. You can be the best CSR in the company but if you don't say the right things, you will always be just a CSR. It takes a certain finesse to be able to advance.
Pros
great company perks and benefits
Cons
growth oppertunity only to a point
I've enjoyed working at WellPoint for 35 years. All the opportunities I've had throughout the years, learning dental and medical terminology.
Medical Claims Representative III CustomerCare Rep (Former Employee) –  6740 N High St. Worthington, OH 43085October 19, 2013
a typical day at work is completing the scheduled work.

I've learned a good understanding of the application of benefit contracts, pricing, processing, policies, ICD-9, procedures, gov"t regs, coordination of benefits, and healthcare terminology. Ensuring all information is supplied before eligible payments are made. Researches and analyzes claims issues and adjust voids and reopens claims online within guidelines to ensure proper adjudication.

I've worked well with upper managements and co-workers. I've also been a team lead, and a supervisor over 30 co-workers.

the hardest part of the job was reading the many different COB forms.

the most enjoyable part of the job was completing each claim correctly so that the customers/providers would be able to close their books.
Cubicle Employment
Membership Representative I (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2016
Anthem was a stable and consistent workplace that offered a flexible schedule which allowed the ability to balance my Job/Work Life accordingly. I enjoyed working with a great many employees who were in turns team-oriented and great to work with. I learned a great deal about the expectations of Medicaid and Medicare guidelines and the hardest part of my job was to remember a great deal of information which was not always readily accessible. The best part of my job there was that I enjoyed working with my colleagues to help write and implement process manuals to help process applications so new employees would not struggle to learn the guidelines for enrollment applications. I was able to use my experience to help be a valuable asset and increase production levels and employee understanding.
Pros
Flexible Schedules.
Cons
Inability to recieve recognition, raises or advance in rank; poor management.
N/a
Manager Case Managment (Former Employee) –  st. louis, moOctober 30, 2013
Accomplishments:
Hires, trains, coaches, counsels, and evaluates performance of direct reports
Worked Specialty products of Medicaid/Medicare Dual Populations, Commercial, and WorkComp Specialty Managed Care products
Assess departmental issues and identify solutions to meet productivity, quality and departmental goals
Nurture and cultivate relationships with community advocates, organizations, project sponsors as well as business and IT executives
Direct and oversee multiple projects and/or act as SME on complex projects
Synchronize the efforts of major initiatives involving multiple groups and departments
Guarantee the attainment of key milestones by proactively tracking metrics and project outputs
Maximize productivity by setting clear expectations with the team and proactively communicating project status, issues and risks to the team, internal stakeholders and top management
They set up a schedule where hourly consultants would have to work for free to complete the work on time, since they would pay only for 40 hours/week.
Instructional Designer (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 4, 2013
This work group treated contractors extremely poorly. They seemed to be lacking project planning capabilities, so chose a totally ineffective way to plan the project. Contractors with years of experience were treated as if they knew nothing nor were they allowed to have an opinion. They readily fired contractors and didn't even have the courtesy to tell them. A contractor might find out when s/he tried to submit his/her time and were unable to; because the work order had been terminated. I found the situation to be quite ridiculous. Poor management for this group (Missouri) is a poor reflection on the company.
Pros
work at home
Cons
ridiculous work schedule, incapable of effective project planning, rigid, workers who tried to provide valid input were fired for no real reason.
Short term contractor - project was a mess.
Contractor - Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAMay 7, 2014
The project I was on had been in process for 6 - 12 months when I started. I had been hired as a Java programmer but really they were still in design mode. I spent my 3 months there working as a Systems Analyst.

It was a large project that required changes to 5 interconnected systems. Every time we met with the customer the number of requirements increased. We were designing to a moving target.

Looking back the Project Manager should have:

Frozen version 1 requirements.

Begun initial trial coding and test of one "User Story" from beginning to end through all 5 systems.

That initial trial would have
1) given upper management evidence that the project was workable, 2) narrowed the focus to a reachable goal,
3) shown that something was being accomplished, and
4) allowed the end user to look at and work on initial screens.

The project was shutdown 3 months after I started.
Medical Insurance company
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OhioNovember 15, 2014
Typical day at work includes taking inbound calls from providers and offshore vendors, to provide information about medical benefits, provider contracts, and claims help. During taking calls I work on multiple screens and in multiple systems to assist with whatever questions are being asked and document the inquiry into a call log. We do have certain goals that we have to meet not only individually but as a company.
Most people you work with are very friendly and helpful. Management is very helpful, they do have lots of meeting and sometimes are hard to get a chance to speak to but they make it a priority to get back to you as soon as they are available.
Hardest part of the job is having to help with difficult customers, but that is very rare it is a very professional atmosphere. They are a business casual facility.
Cons
schedule can range from 7:55 am to 8 pm est
Customer Service
Customer Care Representative II (Former Employee) –  Savannah Ga.March 2, 2013
Assisting members with getting their medication, updating account information, setting doctors appointment, etc. also help providers with claims. Mailing and faxing out information to members and providers as needed. My manager was not very supportive, she did not really know how to handle a call if it was escalated, did not want to take the escalated calls, never gave positive feedback just negative. My co-workers and I basicly helped each other and we had a great work relationship. The hardest part of the job is triying to help a member find a doctor and there is no one in their area that takes their insurance. I enjoyed helping members resolve what ever issue they have especially if they called more than once about the same issue.
Pros
great healthcare benefits
Cons
short breaks, not able to get the time off you need to do personal things such as going to the doctor
Daily Workflow
Customer Service Coach (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 20, 2013
On a typical day, I will come in and run the inventory reports for everything that we have for OHI and TPL departments. Send out emails to those who are required to have them. Then I will go about delegating work and seeing where I need everyone to be. I then go about answering emails and doing other duties assigned. Mid day we run inventory reports again to see if we need them to make a change in their workflow. Answer emails from associates that work for the department. Communication is a bit factor and something that lacks here at this company in our department. The workplace for the majority is women, which often is a bit much and petty. The hardest part of my job, is learning how to deal with grown people who act like children and treating everyone the same with no bias.
Pros
casual clothing work environment, laid back atmosphere
Cons
management are not good communicators
Used to be a Great Place to Work
Manager II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaAugust 15, 2012
I prided myself on being an Anthem/Wellpoint Associate and Manager for nearly 8 years. I had a great team of Nurses and Utilizaiton Management Reps. We were the place to be. Wellpoint over the course of the last year and a half ( or longer) has been sliding. Medical Reviews were being outsourced to Malaysia in an effort to cut costs. This is Private Health Information going overseas. As a healthcare professional and a Wellpoint Customer I really have a problem with this. Not to mention the loss of American jobs.

Executive Leadership does not give the resources to frontline associates to do their jobs effectively. It is all about the bottomline and not about caring about the needs of their customers and their associates.
Pros
ability to work remotely. great frontline associates
Cons
executive leadership not listening; poor work/life balance for frontline managers
Always leaning a very skillfull enviroment
Customer Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 31, 2013
A typical day at work is being on the phone and assisting providers with claims and giving them the requested information on different insurance policies. I have learned so much at Wellpoint I have sharpened my computer and customer service skills I type 35plus wpm. I have also learned hw to toggle between many different systems and hoe to multi task. I have to type letters and memos for provider on a dailt basis with any requested information. My co workers love me I keep them smiling and I am a very positive individual. The hardest part of my job is to see a customer upset I strive very hard to assist them my their experince much better. Most enjoyable is to be able to provide the best customer service and provider accurate information effeicently to providers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
working 10hrs a day and being a full time student
Horrible need i say more (GBA/BROKER CONTACT CENTER MELVILLE)
Agency Service Rep III (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 18, 2013
Salve to your desk, 15 min bathroom break for the whole day, no career advancement unless you become your bosses best friend, gossip in office, drama, disrespectful managers DM and PL gossip about the employees, bias call coach, performance is not weighted properly, no company sponsored parties, holiday time always closed, office is always dirty, carpets never cleaned, vents are filthy, manager DM micro manages the call center employees and seniors. Verbal abuse from callers is not handled by mangers just overlooked, on the phones all day, no prospect for career advancement. Recently company wide lay offs, underpaid, under appreciated recently demoted because management decided to lay off half of our department. If they begin to hire again don't work here !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
benefits/bonus
Cons
everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I enjoyed working here becouse of the people. They are all very kind.
Cash control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 4, 2014
Most days are on the computer all day. Learning how to research on all the different systems.
I learned what it is to find peoples HCID# and process the payments thru Access and ISG.
I think management is good they pretty much teach you what you need to know and let you work.
My co-workers are Wonderful. They always are willing to help you when you are confused on what you are working on. Nobody ever refused to help any one.
The hardest part of the job is that I was coming in on a new job and had to keep redoing what I had already done. This was a company wide learning process. Also the fact that it was a job I was going to be able to stay at.
The most enjoyable part was that I was able to help get the people that had enrolled to be covered by Anthem to get payments made when not all information was there.
Insurance Benefits
Customer Care Rep. (CCR) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 2, 2012
I received inbound telephone calls to assist customers with concerns regarding insurance premium payments, benefits, network providers, eligibility, claims, and any additional documentation. Operate a PC/image station to obtain and extract notes; information, activities and changes made to member accounts. Research and analyze data to address operational challenges and customer service issues. Thoroughly document inquiry intakes for accurate tracking and analysis. Develops and maintains positive customer relations and coordinates with various functions within the company to ensure customer requests and questions are handled appropriately and in a timely manner.
Pros
it was a good company to be affliliated with, and the co-workers
Cons
having to be honest with the customers in regards to their coverage.
Great Company that is struggling with developing its culture
Director (Former Employee) –  CAJune 16, 2015
Anthem is continually going through changes and re-organizations that lead to worry and confusion among the associates.

When the company is focused on a goal, it does an admirable job of developing processes and procedures required to improve the existing work flows.

There is a lack of work-life balance at Anthem due to the large workloads and high expectations of the management team, but that is fairly standard in the insurance industry today.

There is a strong sense of team at Anthem. Most everyone works well together and do their best to achieve success. Those that don't try are generally weeded out over time. I have developed great relationships with team members and business partners over my time spent at Anthem.
Pros
employees, attitude of management
Cons
lack of work-life balance
Wellpoint Blows Lots of Hot Air
Claim Examiner (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIDecember 26, 2011
During my interview they made the company sound like it was a great place for advancement and opportunities to grow in my position and pay. Upon hire I soon realized that although alot of nice "perks" were being promised, that rarely anyone received these perks as they would have alot of exclusions and ways of you not being eligible for such benefits. The upper management treats employees as numbers and it is not uncommon to receive very short notice of mandatory overtime and last minute changes. The pay was awful and promises of future opportunities for pay increases was nothing but hot air. All and all, I would NEVER recommend anyone work here. It is a place for someone that just needs a job, not a place that they enjoy going to or that they want to start a career at. Two thumbs down for Wellpoint.
Cons
everything!
Great talent to work with and hone your skills
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 7, 2013
I was privileged to work many talented individuals. Some moved on to other opportunities but many are still there. Mentoring by most was minimal but encouraged by the company. My role was diverse from year to year once I went into advertising. From budget management to new messaging for a specific campaign. On my team we shared similar responsibilites but could take on new skills as they came available. I was very interested in learning more about social media and other online marketing not just as part of a media plan for my clients' multi-media recommendations and campaigns but from a brand stand point.
Pros
great work family, ability to build priceless partnerships internally/externally.
Cons
advancement is limited for the most part due to politics and who you know can be challenging
There is so much uncertainty with WellPoint I could not recommend them as a place of employment that would offer present and future stability.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 21, 2012
WellPoint was once a strong firm and a leader in its field, provided a good culture and great place for advancement but things have dramatically changed over the past 10 years where leadership has faltered, the company has lost it's position of being the big and mighty in the industry it once held and its employees have paid the price with unclear paths which the company has pursued leaving many without a job or with a day by day uncertainty of ones future. Layoffs continue on a regular basis as WellPoint continues to struggle as it tries to redefine its identity.
Pros
benefits, marketing
Cons
uncertain future, weak leadership, continuous restructuring resulting in layoffs