Anthony Wayne Services Employee Reviews

Horrible pay
Direct Support Professional (DSP) Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 19, 2016
I loved working with my clients but the people in the office and the pay is what made me resign. I was making less than ten dollars a hour being a team leader. I was on call 24/7 365.
productivity.accuracy..and fastpaced
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 9, 2014
typical day at work was to make sure everyone had their supplies and working in other areas when needed..supervised ..sorted ..inserted..swept mopped.took crates outside..trash..learned the incentive of what a postal service worker did and how hard it was to have things done ontime.managenent was great there ..they helped out as well..the hardest part of my job was making sure that my duties were done each day and having to do overtime..teamwork was a quality in my work.parties.raises..breaks..lunch breaks..this company was the most enjoyable company ever..
Pros
lunch breaks..parties..raises..401k..
Cons
no cons..
Better than most
Supported Living Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 19, 2012
This company is better than most, they do recognize and promote their employees, hours are not bad, and the pay is above average.
This company does offer benefits as well as perks.
You will be shuffled from home to home caring for people with disablisites, but all in all not a bad job. It is gratifying to see the smiles on the faces of the people whose lives you touch day to day!
Pros
meeting new people, pay is above average, benefits are good, and informative monthly team meetings
Cons
supervisors are on call 365 days a year!
Relaxed Home Environment.
Group Home Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IndianaJune 25, 2012
A typical day of work was helping clients with their lives. I was helping/teaching clients to be independent. I was also teaching clients to do household chores, such as, laundry, cleaning, and cooking. Some things I learned was medication regulations and coding. Management was really relaxed and helpful. They taught us a lot and was really understanding. My co-workers were very helpful as well. They were also very welcoming. The hardest part of the job was getting clients to be independent instead of doing things for them which was faster. The most enjoyable part of the day was knowing that I helped clients improve their lives.
Pros
helping clients improve their lives, relaxing environment.
Cons
very little to no management advancement.
ok to start
direct support progressional (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 13, 2015
When I first started they were amazing, we had a lot of activities to do. As the change in management went along, they stopped caring and the staff had to purchase things for the clients to do. The management only had anything to say when we did something wrong. Our first Director was amazing but due to politics she was let go.
Pros
clients and some co-workers
Cons
everything else
Always on your toes
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, IndianaDecember 14, 2013
When being responsible for someone else care that is not a family member can be challenging. Care for a clients personal needs and well as keeping family and state notes are all daily activities. Learn how to recognize different kinds of seizures and their treatments. As well as how to positively deal with behavioral persons. Management left you feeling like it was all man for himself. If you reported something that needed to be dealt with you could find yourself on the outside. Hardest part of the job is losing a client. The most enjoyable part of the job is making your house happy and harmonious.
Pros
constant learning something new.
Cons
not sure who you can trust.
Group home caregiving
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 2, 2013
Worked with the mentally challenged. Woke them up; brushed their teeth; dressed them up and helped to feed them. The mentally challenged are not handicapped, but only challenged mentally. Management is very particular about no-abuse policy and keeps their eyes open on it. Co-workers are helpful and team work is of the essence. The hardest part is understanding the mentally challenged folk. The most enjoyable part is when they hug you or recline their head to yours in appreciation, for something as simple as helping them spell a word correctly.
Pros
Sharing the little things of life.
Cons
The possibility of being accused of abusing a client.
non productive managers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 4, 2013
The typical day was normal drive to work assist developmentally disabled adults to function in life..I learned patience...Management was not so good didn't help when need didn't have your back..lost paperwork constantly causing you to lose out on bonus potential...The hardest part was dealing with the managers..The enjoyable part was seeing the smiles on the faces of the clients I was taking care of when they succeeded in something...
Pros
the clients
Cons
the poor management
DSP at AWS
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INJuly 1, 2014
Working at AWS was very challenging when I first began. It became easier once I understood the clients needs. I have grown very close to my residents, but the hardest part is trying to explain why they cannot do some of the things they want to do. I've learned that disabled people dislike change, and do not cope with it well at all. A typical day I come in count medicine, and cash, clean the house and make sure residents sleep as much as possible through the night then bathe in the morning. I make them breakfast, and give them medicine then transport them to work.
Pros
supervisor worked with me during school
Cons
getting attatched to clients
Personally rewarding place to work
Group Home Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 26, 2012
Clients were fun to work with, although sometimes making sure their special needs and individual demands were met made it a challenge. Management was decent, coworkers sometimes made the day unbearable. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were making a difference in someone's life.
Pros
personal enjoyment in helping others
Cons
not always enjoying working with coworkers
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INOctober 2, 2014
A typical day would be e arriving at work, and start preparing dinner and getting meds . together . I learned to be patient because everything takes time and when you have a disability it's hard to tell someone what you want and need. The manager was ok, some of the things she did wasn't appeasing to me and the other workers. The co-workers were good with me. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the clients when they were having a bad moment. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see this one particular client watch her favorite movie which was Sister Act 2.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Proximity of thae job
Unpredictable and exciting working environment
Attendant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, IndianaSeptember 4, 2014
The day starts out with helping clients with their morning tasks, hygiene, dressing, cooking and medications. Clients may have doctor appointments and or other programs that you need to transport them to. Some clients may have combative behaviors that would make for a not so good day. I've learned that it takes a lot patience under these circumstances. The most enjoyable part of the day would be breakfast or dinner when i would cook something the clients really enjoyed.
Pros
Take clients anywhere in the community
Cons
not enough pay
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, INAugust 18, 2015
I learned a lot of skills working here. This was the first job as a personal assistant. It was a lot of challenges because there were many different behavior issues. I learned about different health issues with the clients.
Productive, interesting, challenging
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 26, 2012
I loved my job here and besides I had a supervisor who harassed me all the time and wanted to fire me and she did for really no reason. She made up horrible lies about me that wasnt true and it really upset me.
Pros
Cons
healthcare
Not are work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INJanuary 7, 2015
I worked third shift so was some what boring. How to deal with issues of mentally an physically handicapped. Mangament was not always avaliable. As far as co-workers you had the good an the bad.
Very few are not lazy an there really was not a lot of work to do other than paper work. Thhe hardest part of the job is mental stress because of beavior of some clients but they also were why it was enjoyable, It is hard not to become attached.
Pros
Knowing you help some one that did it.
Cons
Getting to attached
helpful place for people
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 9, 2015
I learned a lot about the proper way to care for individuals ho could not care for themselves. It was an humbling experience for me and I would defiantly do it again.
Provides a needed service to people in need.
Home Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Mary's, OhioOctober 7, 2014
My team worked well together to provided for the daily needs of our clients. We transported them to work or school, scheduled all medical appointments and provided recreational activities. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with our clients to teach them independence and increasing their since of self worth.
Pros
I met and worked with a lot of great people.
Cons
Low pay
Lack of Professional Management
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Marion, INJanuary 20, 2015
While working at AWS, I had a great experience working with clients and other co-workers. Dealing with upper management was a different story. Very unprofessional.
Direct Support Person
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 26, 2014
I cook, clean, bath, and daily things a person would do and assist in doing so. I do progress notes each day. I take them out in the community as needed. When a behavior is issued by a client, claiming them down and paper work is done.
You learn how to calm other down.
The hardest part is keeping everything calm.
I usually have one other co-worker with me.
I enjoy being around the clients and helping them.
Good Pay for managers
Program coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 18, 2013
This place was hell. Nothing was ever consistent, you are told to do one thing by one director and another by another director and when they were both together neither would admit to telling you to do whatever you had done. The pay is good for a person with no experience but it is a very hectic place to work.
Pros
pay and not being stuck in an office all day
Cons
being on call 24-7

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anthony Wayne Services. Our community is ready to answer.