AOL Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Senior Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAOctober 1, 2016
I worked at AOL for 4 years. Great culture, great people and Tim has completely changed the direction of the company in the last five years. Generous salaries, benefits and deals on Verizon phone / internet. People on the Verizon side are nice and the culture at AOL has remained intact despite being acquired.
Quantity not quality
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 14, 2016
The amount of overtime and perks you get for working for this company was the best. The hardest part of the job was they did care about fixing the customer issue but the numbers of calls I take in a hour. Maybe that is why they are no longer relevant.
Pros
Playing pool
Cons
Didn't care about fixing customer issue; The amount of overtime and perks
Productive fun workplace with great benefits and company culture
Editorial fellow (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CASeptember 13, 2016
AOL has a very fun and positive work culture that's centered around innovation and working hard to play hard. My co-workers were some of the most amazing people in the tech and digital space. Management is hands on and very helpful.
Pros
Free snacks and drinks, full benefits, discounts at retailers and gyms
Cons
Unexpected cuts, lack of communication from HR
Awesome culture and great company
New Hire Retention Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2016
Loved this job and would have never left, but all good things must come to a end, they closed the call center in my area but offered a phenominal severance package where you were not left out in the cold.
Pros
Pay, Culture, Supervisors
Cons
Closed call center
Productive place to work...but could use more space!
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 23, 2016
The AOL office in San Francisco was a productive place to work at. But the office was at the brink of full capacity. Definitely needed a bigger space.
Cons
No Engineering division in the San Francisco office.
back in my day...
Senior Unix Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 22, 2016
I've been gone from AOL for far to long to know how things are there now, it used to be a very driven company, oncall time was always difficult and everyone was always under the gun for a project, an outage or both.
Pros
location was handy.
Cons
oncall, no telecommute then.
Productive, relaxed environment with a lot of room to grow
Admin Assistant/Account Management Support (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 16, 2016
I loved my internship.at AOL. I learned a lot of new skills that can be used to work any where. I can not say enough nice things about the people.
Building Brands People Love
Product Support Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2016
I loved my experience interning with AOL. It was an amazing year that taught me a lot. I enjoyed the work I got to engage in as well as all of the fun corporate events that took place. AOL is surprisingly a wonderful media company, and it is filled with talented people. I plan on applying once I have my degree.
Pros
Cool Office Space, Celebrities Visit Evey week, Fun Corporate Events
Cons
N/A
Fun while it lasted
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2016
Sudden loss of employment due to company downsizing. Other then that, this place was a real fun place to work at while it lasted. Great co-workers, exciting environment. I miss the old AOL days. I had a great time here. Good company to work for while it lasted.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Sudden loss of employment
Fun atmosphere even with difficult customers
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Jct, COAugust 4, 2016
Taking inbound technical support calls from customers with setup or connectivity issues. Some customers were beyond upset and frustrated, being able to calm them down and walk them through the steps to connect was the best part of the phone call
not much direction
Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 13, 2016
I worked at AOL when the company seemed to have no idea what direction it wanted to go in. The transition was painful for everyone.
Pros
Good office setup, good pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of direction
Fun and great company
NOC Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMay 10, 2016
Fun great company to work for that compensates accordingly. Working overnights the managers provide a fun environment and compensate for overnight workers properly by providing great feedback, and being able to move up to better shifts.
Formerly successful but struggling company
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 9, 2016
During company's spectacular rise, which brought the internet into homes for the first time, the work was exciting and historic. Intense competition and a poor fit of corporate cultures in a merger with Time Warner led to the company's loss of its premier position on the internet and consequent shedding of payroll and shrinkage of corporate campus. Huffington Post, however, is a successful acquisition. Company struggles to find its way with a mix of web properties and online advertising businesses.
Fun Place to Work
Social Media (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2016
Great work culture. Good work/life balance. Days can be long but never overwhelming. Very fast paced. Everyday is happy hour.
Pros
free food and beer, flexible schedules, great perks
Cons
not enough interpersonal relationships with management
Productive and fun place to work at!
Associate Product Manager Intern (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 4, 2016
AOL Inc. inspires creativity, innovation, productivity and many more great things that make up a successful company. At AOL Inc. your boss isn't just your manager, but your mentor, and a leader too. The people you work around are all friendly, and willing to help whenever you may possibly need it, and they're all hardworking and inspirational!
Bad
Android Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 13, 2016
Politics, bad management, not so good pay.
Layoffs all the time. Work environment is not really great.
No chance to advance your career.
Not enough challenging projects.
Great past tense customer service environment
Senior Customer Service Consultant and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 22, 2016
This customer service facility and organization were fantastic. It is too bad not too long after moving to a brand new building location that these jobs were moved overseas.
Pros
So many employees with great experience to offer advice.
Cons
Time limits on tech calls prohibited fixing some problems on the first contact.
Fun and laid back work environment where you won't be challenged
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2016
AOL is a great place to work if you love cliques and gossiping amongst teams. If you don't fit in with your coworkers be prepared to be casted as an outsider.

There is not a ton of work to be done and AOL employs many "interesting" tactics to collect revenue that aren't going to last too long.

The culture is fun and the median age is very young so people are always willing to go to happy hours or have parties.

If you are looking to work in a cool office and meet fun/young people then this is the place for you. If you are looking to make a difference to society and advance your skills, rather than seeing how many ads can be placed on a webpage, then avoid working at AOL.
Pros
Office location, flexible hours, free drinks, office events
Cons
Job security, senior management, lack of productivity
Very organized infrastructure, and fast-paced.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 20, 2016
Very fun company to work for. They really recognized the sales professionals that were meeting or exceeding company expectations. They had contests as a way to motivate their workforce. My colleagues were amazing, and fun to work with.
I work with amazing people!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 16, 2016
I couldn't ask for a better work experience. The people, company culture and perks are great. Right now there's lots of change with the Verizon acquisition...for the most part good things are happening.
Pros
Free soda, gym/exercise classes, career development, great people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AOL. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime