AOL Employee Reviews

great leadership, a little fast paced but if you can keep up it's great!
User Interface Designer, Researcher, Moderator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2013
... - or at least it was during my experience! I had a great mentor/leader as a manager when I first started as an intern who I personally credit for the majority of the way I think about and carry out my UX work / style today.
Pros
nice ambience, lots of swag, good company culture
Cons
cubicles are somewhat hard to navigate - open communication not always actively encouraged.
Fast pace and fast learning environment
Regional Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2012
Teamwork is a vital part of this company. It is an "all hands on deck" environment which gives employees a broader knowledge of the company as a whole. It's great to know how all departments contribute to the success of our company and my position gives me the opportunity to use this information on a day to day basis. The atmosphere of our office is a fun yet professional setting.

Time management and multi-tasking is a MUST in Regional Account Management. The most enjoyable part of being a part of the Regional Account Management team is playing a large factor in the success of new business and receiving positive feedback from our clients.
Fun, growing and social
Billing Lead/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 17, 2015
AOL was the company that set the bar for my future in Customer Service. As the internet was just starting to flourish, AOL was right in the center of it. They took pride in Excellent Customer Service and provided phenomenal training to uphold that value. I learned many essential skills through working for AOL that I will carry with me in any job I have. The work environment was fun and laid back, although they provided great benefits, training and discipline. The leaders and trainers were the best in the business. I will forever appreciate all of the great leaders that set me up for success at AOL.
fun place to work for with alot of spiffs and bonuses
CUSTOMER SERVICE RETENTION REP (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaAugust 29, 2014
I would answer calls from customers who wanted to cancel their acct I would tell them about the great benefits that the had on their plan and would offer tem 2 free months of free service to review their plan to see if they wanted to stay with AOL or not I would then ask them if I resolved all of their issues and end the call.
Pros
bonus and insentives per day was nice to have
Cons
we were offered the 401k plan health benefits and vacation pay also holiday pay
Great companies to work for
Account Director, Strategic Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Great energy, productive, and successful company with reasonable sales goals. Management were/are leaders with a willingness to attend meetings and formal presentations to brand managers and agency clients. Co-workers are professional. I learned to there is always more to be learned. Hardest part of the job was the commute and seeming endless meetings. The most rewarding part of my job(s) is that I can work my network, close meaningful business and create new business.
Pros
Salary, T&E, Office, Corp. Events
Cons
Training, Longer Hours, Commute
Great field experience
Director AOL Long Distance Savings Plan (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJune 10, 2015
I was personally the leader of a traveling team which oversaw production, training & compliance. For the AOL Long Distance Savings Plan. The team worked in 2 of the largest inbound contract Call Centers on the campaign. The facilities combined took an average of 60,000 calls per week 24/7 365 days per year. The environment was upbeat and challenging, and I looked forward to working and interacting with agents and mamagement in these Call Centers.
Pros
Non-Stop Action
Cons
High stress level on Agents due to call volume
fun place to work....concentrated areas for relaxation during breaks
Renewal Payment and Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 25, 2014
This was one of the best places I have ever worked. It had the relaxing atmosphere of a lot of tech companies. The flexibility of the schedule and the opportunity for overtime and advancement was great. I was returning back to school during that time and went part-time for half the year and because of the overtime opportunity and bonus structure, I did not suffer financially.The facility was built to accomodate a balance to the work life.
Pros
daily celebration of work excellence
Cons
shutting the location down
Best job I ever had
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 10, 2014
As executive assistant for an international internet company was an exellent experience. Learned about international travel and meetings. Was allowed to expand my skills by attending my executives meetings with him/her. Co-workers were very professional. Hardest part was long work days. This position would sometimes need me to work until 10 pm. Most enjoyable part of the job was that it was unlike any type of executive support I had ever done.
Pros
new and exciting work
Cons
some long work days
Summary for AOL
Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 8, 2014
I would like to state that the position at AOL was so different from most jobs, the position at AOL was different each day with lots of variety of job functions with a fun environment that produced high performance.
The team of co-workers were a good group to work with as well as the Managment.
The most enjoyable part of the job however were the Customers and the pleasure you received from being able to help them.
Pros
free internet service
Cons
the entire office of aol was closed in jacksonville florida
AOL/CompuServe was a good place to work.
Senior system administrator (Former Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHMarch 1, 2012
Unfortunately both were sinking (our customer base was shrinking) the last decade I was there (98 to 10). Before that, and during that time, we were professional and tried to produce and deliver a product that was worth what the customer paid for it. Each employee was held accountable for their area and was compensated for making their area work well. Management was cognizant of the problems involved and did their best to help each employee.
Pros
we had a good cafeteria in the building
Cons
we were in a 24/7 business

Want to know more about AOL?

Ask a question
Productive work place and fun as well
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 6, 2016
It was a of learning and meetings that the interns had. In my department I would sit in on some meetings and then do my part for the project that we had. It was a fun place to work in. I would do all over again. They had ping pong tables, Foosball tables, massage chairs, gym, soccer field, basketball court, etc that you could enjoy when on break. Also the Soda, you were allowed to have unlimited free soda.
Pros
Free Soda
Nice building, no community
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  DullesApril 16, 2013
worked in a department where we were put in the bottom corner of the building, and basically left to rot. No management, or anyone ever came down to talk to us. We did our job and then were let go without any opportunity to even meet anyone for advancement. Worst job experience I've had in 15 years of work, and 15 other people would agree exactly on this. Highly do not recommend this place for anyone.
Great place, Great time.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  DullesDecember 6, 2011
I've always felt that AOL treated me right. I appreciated the hard work and dedication that so many of my fellow employees embraced. The only challenging aspect of the job, was that I was employed during a change in the way people used the internet and AOL suffered from a lack of vision at the top levels to properly embrace these changes. This resulted in a continuous downsizing.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, great compensation
Cons
lay-offs
very active with customers
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2013
a typical day at work would be dealing with customers handling billing . I learn that having a good attitude and being patient is the key. management was ok they were there if you needed them. my co workers were happy had great energy. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy every customer. the most enjoying part was helping the customer and making them happy
Pros
hours
Cons
short breaks
Top notch sales and customer service training
CSR/Sales (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 2, 2014
Top notch sales and customer service training. Although I didn't love my job at the time I look back on this place and appreciate how much the company invested in the employees. Aol tried to help balance work and family life with very flexible schedule and vacation times. They also provided some of the best customer service and sales training in the Industry. I still you use these techniques almost 10 years later great fundamentals.
AOL
High Speed Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 23, 2014
I loved working at AOL. I had excellent management, and although the calls were difficult at times, the managers provided support and suggestions for issues. There was a real sense of family, even with a large company. Unfortunately the call center closed, but I took what I learned from my position there, and applied those things to my other jobs, as well as every day life.
Pros
management, education, positive environment
Cons
closed center
AOL - Love/Hate Relationship
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 31, 2012
Loved working at AOL - was a great first job out of college. I learned a ton about marketing there from great people. The issue with working at AOL during the time I did was the company was rapidly losing steam. Layoffs happened every six months and you were always afraid the next time would be your time.

Great atmosphere and very talented people worked there and I do feel fortunate that had this experience.
Able to surf the net check new products we had a quiet room for meditation
Customer Service Rep/ Technical (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 2, 2013
Fun I leared about new products how to do Translations. we worked hard but he also had alot of fun while we where on the job. co-workers where helpfull the there was nothing hard about this job, the most enjoyable part of the job was when we usto have employee day we always had something fun to do like a carnival outside.
Pros
the job
Cons
taking the center to the phillippines
Leader in the Intranet Services Business
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Excellent company mission statement and business model - now owned an operated by Time-Warner company based out of NY, NY. AOL was a great place to work with their people friendly environment, which encouraged innovative suggestions and ideas from all staff members.
Pros
great campuses with cafeterias for employees
Cons
people prefferd inter office messaging, rather than speaking to them in person.
AOL Closed all US Based Call centers in 2003
Sales and Management (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 3, 2012
AOL closed its US based call centers to only keep its foreign based call centers to save overall money. Many customers constantly complained about the call center employees that did not speak English clearly. AOL bases its decisions on not how well a person does, but how well they meet their statistical results of the calls taken in a given day.
Pros
occasional free food, great benefits
Cons
closed all us call centers