AOL Employee Reviews in United States

Fun, growing and social
Billing Lead/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 17, 2015
AOL was the company that set the bar for my future in Customer Service. As the internet was just starting to flourish, AOL was right in the center of it. They took pride in Excellent Customer Service and provided phenomenal training to uphold that value. I learned many essential skills through working for AOL that I will carry with me in any job I have. The work environment was fun and laid back, although they provided great benefits, training and discipline. The leaders and trainers were the best in the business. I will forever appreciate all of the great leaders that set me up for success at AOL.
Great PLACE TO WORK
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2015
Everyone was great to work with and around! they cared about their employees. all the trainers wer excellent. managtement was the best . I wish they came back to the USA
Pros
nice pay structure
Cons
they left the USA
My Favorite Place to Have Worked
Lead Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2015
AOL's call center was an amazing array of very talented and eclectic individuals working together to provide technical support for the AOL customers. Most days were spent on the phone, in a headset, talking with customers and leading them through the process resolve a problem. While that happened, support technicians were free to do whatever they pleased, within some reason, while participating in calls. Yoyo's, Koosh balls, and even frisbees were not strangers to the call center floor. People also performed myriad types of crafts, from coloring to wood carving! And everyone, at one time or another, paced relentlessly as far as their headset chord would allow.

I loved AOL. For the majority of the time I worked there, the atmosphere was relaxed and positive. Techs were able to provide ideas about customer issues and support each other. The support process itself was challenging and learning new information was encouraged. Rewards and bonuses for outstanding achievement were incomparable.

Prior to my leaving, AOL merged with Warner Bros. The merger changed the atmosphere at AOL to one of pure, cold, business. Everyone I knew, including management, found it increasingly stressful. Bonus and incentive programs became almost nil.
Pros
Company events, performance incentives, work atmosphere
Cons
New performance requirements without incentive, new business attitude with merger
An Incredible Ride, incredible company, incredible people, incredible management team.
Hardware Analyst Network Operations Center (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VirginiaMay 1, 2015
This is the best job anyone would ever want. I was truly blessed to work for this company.

For me, was a ride in a time machine with every developing technology, every goal met, opening a new horizon, and great opportunity to learn.

I consistently dream of walking the computer rooms looking for a server to troubleshoot. It was my second home!

It was the experience of a lifetime and one that will stay in my heart until the end of my life.
Pros
Incredible work environment, Incredible People, Incredible Management Team, Incredible Experience.
Cons
Nothing negative about a life transforming experience.
Best job I ever had
Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 25, 2015
This was my favorite job. I learned more about the technologies I supported initially than at any other employer. I worked with a great group of individuals, several who I consider my friends, even though we have all gone our separate ways. One thing I didn't realize during my time, is that the technology I supported was limited to a small subset of the vast pool of technologies in the industry. While I learned and grew every year, I could have been more proactive in learning about the various network and telecommunications technologies used in contact center environments. This would have benefited me in my current role. Still, I wouldn't trade my experience at AOL for anything else. The travel, the genuinely great people at the company and the product were all experiences I cherish, even as I am nearly a decade removed from my time with the company.
Pros
Great work facilities and environment, plenty of travel including global, helpful co-workers including those who were really excited to be with the company, prestige of being identified with a big brand
Cons
Job security sometimes iffy as AOL demonstrated a constant propensity to reorganize
Great
Designer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 7, 2015
- Work environment was great and fun
- Great managers with awesome projects
- Very talented ppl
- We had lots of events that connects team together
Down hill
Cisco ICM Developer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 31, 2015
AOL was losing 10,000 customers a month. We were contracted to help retain customers and build relationships. I would not recommend working for this company if it is still around.
Though no longer working there, it was great while I was working then.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2015
AOL was a good employer. Unfortunately, they no longer operate in the area where I lived. I was a Billing consultant. Because of my extensive customer service, accounting, and administrative experience prior to joining AOL, I was a very effective team member consulting with clients over the phone because they provided an excellent on the job training. I loved earning points as a side bonus for doing our job anyway. They provided a lot of incentives that made work fun. I enjoyed helping customers, even though I was limited to the area where I can move around (being on the headset to take incoming calls.) My co workers were a bunch of young energetic people, they made work fun. But, at the end of the day, I felt good thinking of how many people I was able to change their impression (bad) of AOL and made them happy about their service. :-))
Pros
Free gymn in the work place. Sometimes free massages
Cons
Confined work area.
Digital City was the quintessential internet company during the 90s
Associate Interactive Media Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 24, 2015
It was the highlight of my career. The company moved fast, changed fast and employees were taught to new technologies. Digital City was located to a hip area in Santa Monica.
Pros
freedom to be creative, by the beach, hip and young staff, picnic, beach volleyball
Marketing (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 19, 2015
The average age at AOL is about 25 years old. They have a long and involved hiring process as well. But, it's very laid back and no one is really watching the clock or your comings and goings.
It was a good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.-SOFTWARE SPECTRUM (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 10, 2015
I love working for them a nice place to work and grow with the company my work days was very good meet different people on the phone I wish they could have stayed in tampa . And I meet a lot or people who I work with got to be like family
Pros
had great benefits if you was in school
Cons
not able to keep stocks up
Overall Experience
Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Herndon Va.March 9, 2015
Very good management of day to day activities. Poor compensation for workload. Very good with updating technical needs for the department.
Leader in the Intranet Services Business
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Excellent company mission statement and business model - now owned an operated by Time-Warner company based out of NY, NY. AOL was a great place to work with their people friendly environment, which encouraged innovative suggestions and ideas from all staff members.
Pros
great campuses with cafeterias for employees
Cons
people prefferd inter office messaging, rather than speaking to them in person.
We went in a trip together as family.
Team Leader student (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 7, 2015
I've learned how to interact with other students and to be proactive. I like all my students and my teammates. I didn't have any hardest part in this organization at all. The most enjoyable all of us were brothers and sisters.
fun
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  tucson azJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with AOL it was a great experience and was sad to see the location here in Tucson close.
AOL Job Review
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VADecember 26, 2014
The job at work involved setting up weekly meetings for members of each individual project, discussing the status of each as it would relate to the Project Plan, address any issues and establish a work-around.
Pros
good culture
Cons
job growth opportunities
Ok
Alorica (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 24, 2014
The employees werent the easiest to get along with and the managers werent very understanding but when it came down to actual customer satisfaction it was a main priority, there demands for overtime where very extensive but the pay was decent
Fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 23, 2014
They had a ping pong table outside for employees to use during breaks.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Data center Hardware/Network Tech (Former Employee) –  Santa ClaraDecember 17, 2014
Loved working as a team with different people. The fun about the work was time went pretty fast. Working as a team is very important and thts what i have learned working there.
Pros
fun and enjoyable
Cons
no raise
productive, agile environment
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VADecember 9, 2014
• Effectively implemented different QA methodologies/policies, strategies and plans in all stages of SDLC.
• Participated in business requirement walk through, design walk through and analyzed Business requirements.
• Involved in Preparing the SDD (System Design Document) based on PRD (Project Requirement Document), TRD (Technical Requirement Document) and Marketing Analysis team Inputs.
• Created Test plan, Test Design, Test scripts and responsible for implementation of Test.
• Involved in analyzing and writing test plan in accordance with business requirements.
• Formulated methods to perform Positive and Negative testing against requirements.
• Performed Manual Testing of the application Front-End and Functionality. Identified the critical test scripts to be automated.
• Performed Functional, Data Validation, Integration, System, and regression testing.
• Analyzed and verified Functional Specification documents.
• Reviewed and updated Test Plans, Test Scenarios.
• Created and manually executed the Test Cases.
• Involved in Test cases review meetings and recommended enhancements in UI functions.
• Involved in different types of Black Box testing (Positive, Negative, Compatibility, Usability, Performance) GUI, Regression testing and UAT.
• Produced and submitted problem reports.
• Reported bugs using Quality Center ALM bug tracking tool.
• Examined system behavior and performance using Load Runner 11.5.
• Prepared Test Plan, Test Cases, developed multiple user Scenarios for Load and Performance Testing 508 Testing .
• Created VuGen scripts, used manual and automatic correlation,
  more... parameterization techniques in generating the test scripts for LoadRunner 11.5.
• Executed LoadRunner Scenarios using LoadRunner 11.5 to perform performance, Stress and scalability tests.
• Worked with LoadRunner12 Controller for configuring and execution of performance test scenarios with multiple virtual users and virtual user scripts, managed and collected metrics for the various system monitors.
• Used LoadRunner 11.5 to analyze the response times of business transactions under load, developed reports and graphs to present the stress test results to the management.
• Defined Rendezvous point to create peak load on the server and thereby measure the server performance under load.
• Analyzed Throughput graph, Hits per second graph, Transactions per second graph and Rendezvous graph using LoadRunner 11.5 Analysis tool.

4.2