AOL Employee Reviews

Roller Coaster
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 21, 2015
When AOL is in a recession - you feel it - but overall a nice place to work.

Job Work/Life Balance: No real core hours - Flexible with working from home

Compensation/Benefits: Decent - but if you stay too long you WILL fall behind

Job Security/Advancement: Layoffs all the time

Management: Nice people - relaxed people

Job Culture: Casual - and *Tries* to be fun
High Energy Workplace with constant changes
Chief Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAOctober 26, 2015
Working daily with my team to help them better serve their clients and help them grow and develop their professional skills. Continually working with the client management team to always improve and refine the services we provide and uncover opportunities for us to provide additional services.
Pros
easy commute and great employees
Cons
future advancement opportunties
Productive and fun place to work at!
Associate Product Manager Intern (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 4, 2016
AOL Inc. inspires creativity, innovation, productivity and many more great things that make up a successful company. At AOL Inc. your boss isn't just your manager, but your mentor, and a leader too. The people you work around are all friendly, and willing to help whenever you may possibly need it, and they're all hardworking and inspirational!
Great people, too many layoffs
Sales Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2014
I left a stable job to work with AOL because they were hot, had great people and a great culture. Two months later I was told my position was eliminated. Thanks for hiring me to begin with...

Great co-workers. Great office and culture. Everyone has a young mentality regardless of age. Very generous benefits package and they were very competitive when negotiating my salary.

Wish I still worked there, but given the unpredictability of the advertising business and their inability to forecast headcount it's probably for the best.
Pros
beer, travel, people
Cons
inability to plan their headcount needs
Productive and fun company to work for
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 27, 2015
I loved working for AOL. The company had great benefits and excellent pay. Great bonus incentive and pay rate increases. Excellent management team to work with. Great opportunity for advancement and growth with in the company.
Pros
Excellent
Overall Great
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro-WestSeptember 10, 2013
My experience working for Patch, AOL was great! Management and staff were extremely helpful and I felt everyone hired deserved to be there.

The culture was a work hard play hard mentality. Very fun, energetic, and at the end of the day if team mates were around after work, activities were well deserved.
Pros
Gas money, corporate card for business, self management
Cons
a lot of admin work
fun place to work....concentrated areas for relaxation during breaks
Renewal Payment and Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 25, 2014
This was one of the best places I have ever worked. It had the relaxing atmosphere of a lot of tech companies. The flexibility of the schedule and the opportunity for overtime and advancement was great. I was returning back to school during that time and went part-time for half the year and because of the overtime opportunity and bonus structure, I did not suffer financially.The facility was built to accomodate a balance to the work life.
Pros
daily celebration of work excellence
Cons
shutting the location down
Smart People, long hours
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 25, 2014
Focus of company at this time is to cut cost by whatever means necessary. There is little to no room for advancement even when someone at a higher level leaves. Normally if someone leaves at a higher level their role will either get absorbed by another team or they will be replaced by a lower level employee. Expectations are very high and the hours are very long. Management - it depends on who your work and would recommend you interview both your supervisor and peers.
Pros
Variety of work and smart group of people
Cons
Current atmosphere is negative and not motivating
Positive and Easy Going Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VASeptember 19, 2012
A typical day at work consist of receiving incoming calls from existing customers that have questions about billing, reactivating, activating and cancelling accounts. This is my first experience working in a call center and I am learning many things about being in that type of environment. One of the things that I have learned is sometimes there is nothing that can be done for the customer and a difficult message has to be given to them. This is something that I honestly struggle with. My customer service background believes that something can be done and an unhappy customer is not a returning customer. Delivering the difficult message is the hardest part for me. Management is very well trained and great at coaching the team at how to save customers on their accounts. I enjoy coming to work everyday because of my co workers. We all work well together and have similar things common. The most enjoyable part of my day is spending time with my team and discussing the different technics we used with customers.
Pros
lunch, aol campus
Productive and fun place
Computer Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAJune 12, 2015
Best place I've ever worked. Great work life balance. Just an amazing culture and place to work. Great co-workers and management.
Fun and great company
NOC Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMay 10, 2016
Fun great company to work for that compensates accordingly. Working overnights the managers provide a fun environment and compensate for overnight workers properly by providing great feedback, and being able to move up to better shifts.
Great place to grow
Finance, Social Media & Trending Content Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
Great place to start off your career, lots of room for creative thinking.
The eveviroment is pretty open, so there's no telling who you'll be sitting next too.

Come with an open, creative mind. Management love innovators.
Convertro
Sales (Current Employee) –  Santa MonicaJune 26, 2014
Be prepared to fight for your job. Unhappy co-workers. New hires on-boarding daily. Valuable employees leave for better opportunities. Company is relocating in the near future.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, bad management, zero culture.
The AOL culture was in transition because of rapid expansion
Transition Project Manager and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMay 16, 2014
Excellent company with excellent benefits.
I had freedom to explore different venues in my work experience.
This enabled me to grow because I was exposed to many different types of experiences
Pros
Free Culture
Cons
none that I can think of
Great past tense customer service environment
Senior Customer Service Consultant and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 22, 2016
This customer service facility and organization were fantastic. It is too bad not too long after moving to a brand new building location that these jobs were moved overseas.
Pros
So many employees with great experience to offer advice.
Cons
Time limits on tech calls prohibited fixing some problems on the first contact.
Engaging, Continuous Learning and Support
AOLU Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 1, 2013
Great benefits and support to employees. Great culture and diverse management styles. They believe in the continuous learning of their employees.
Definitely a fun place to work, Plenty of benefits
"Technical Support, Tier II Representative" (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 8, 2014
8 hours on the phone troubleshooting customer software issues.
Received experience utilizing computers computers
Management was there for the staff
Met a lot of new friends
Hardest part of job some language barriers with customers
Most enjoyable was the commission compensation for hard work
Pros
Cash incentives
Cons
they were going out of the country
An Incredible Ride, incredible company, incredible people, incredible management team.
Hardware Analyst Network Operations Center (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VirginiaMay 1, 2015
This is the best job anyone would ever want. I was truly blessed to work for this company.

For me, was a ride in a time machine with every developing technology, every goal met, opening a new horizon, and great opportunity to learn.

I consistently dream of walking the computer rooms looking for a server to troubleshoot. It was my second home!

It was the experience of a lifetime and one that will stay in my heart until the end of my life.
Pros
Incredible work environment, Incredible People, Incredible Management Team, Incredible Experience.
Cons
Nothing negative about a life transforming experience.
Nice building, no community
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  DullesApril 16, 2013
worked in a department where we were put in the bottom corner of the building, and basically left to rot. No management, or anyone ever came down to talk to us. We did our job and then were let go without any opportunity to even meet anyone for advancement. Worst job experience I've had in 15 years of work, and 15 other people would agree exactly on this. Highly do not recommend this place for anyone.
Easy Work
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 3, 2015
I helped AOL open their call center. Was in the first class. The technical aspect of the job was really easy, because having a lot of technical background was more than I needed to perform my duties. They had great medical benefits, and management was very nice to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AOL. Our community is ready to answer.

80%