AOL Employee Reviews in United States

Very enjoyable, more than I thought it would be
Customer Retention and Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 13, 2013
I enjoyed working there and made great money in sales retention.
Spent all day on the phones, helping people learn how to use the internet.
Learned a lot about Microsoft windows and computers, enough to help do technical support.
Management overall did a good job, until AOL went to a canned script instead of letting sales people use their own skills.
Hardest part was adapting to the script, when what I used in my experience worked better and was more successful.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction received in helping new users to computers learn how to use them, maintain them, and find fun on the internet.
Pros
pizza parties, donuts, and atmosphere
Cons
it was loud on the floor and a few people shouldn't have been there.
Fun company to grow with
Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 5, 2013
In the final days working Workforce Management (WFM), during my temporary assignment, I was tasked with rebuilding their shift bid web app which was static in that collected input from employees for WFM to sort through later. During that time I built the dynamic Online Shift Bid Tool along with Permanent Shift Trade Tool and Slot Bid Tool. I grew in my knowledge of php and html beyond hobby requirements. Then later I was reassigned permanently to WFM as a WFM Agent being responsible for employee's time management and exceptions away from phones. Hardest part was taking what I had on XLS file regarding scheduling and putting it to php with desired effect needed. Most enjoyable part was building in and learning of php beyond that of just a weekend coder.
People-Friendly, Flexibility Were Beyond Compare
Resource Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 13, 2014
AOL had an employee culture that was top-notch. Management was cooperative and extremely flexible. Employees were engaged across functional units, which fostered a sense of togetherness. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Great place to work but very time consuming.
Sales Representative/Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte NC and Charleston SCJuly 13, 2012
I was responsible for in home cable/internet sales, customer service and retention. Aslo responsible for audits and area management.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
time consuming which took away from time with family.
Though no longer working there, it was great while I was working then.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2015
AOL was a good employer. Unfortunately, they no longer operate in the area where I lived. I was a Billing consultant. Because of my extensive customer service, accounting, and administrative experience prior to joining AOL, I was a very effective team member consulting with clients over the phone because they provided an excellent on the job training. I loved earning points as a side bonus for doing our job anyway. They provided a lot of incentives that made work fun. I enjoyed helping customers, even though I was limited to the area where I can move around (being on the headset to take incoming calls.) My co workers were a bunch of young energetic people, they made work fun. But, at the end of the day, I felt good thinking of how many people I was able to change their impression (bad) of AOL and made them happy about their service. :-))
Pros
Free gymn in the work place. Sometimes free massages
Cons
Confined work area.
Fast pace and fast learning environment
Regional Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2012
Teamwork is a vital part of this company. It is an "all hands on deck" environment which gives employees a broader knowledge of the company as a whole. It's great to know how all departments contribute to the success of our company and my position gives me the opportunity to use this information on a day to day basis. The atmosphere of our office is a fun yet professional setting.

Time management and multi-tasking is a MUST in Regional Account Management. The most enjoyable part of being a part of the Regional Account Management team is playing a large factor in the success of new business and receiving positive feedback from our clients.
Very customer oriented company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waycross, GAJuly 1, 2015
With AOL you have to learn the packages the company sells in order to provide the customer with the best fit to their needs. AOL only allows the best in customer service to work for them. The standards set are very high by the company as a whole. The overall staff you work with is well trained to do their job to the fullest.
Freelancer
FREELANCE PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2015
I freelanced at AOL, so didn't have a day-to-day life there. Seemed like a positive and creative environment. The company is on the cutting edge of online video.
Sales Intense
Retention Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 19, 2012
AOL has a competitive compensation and benefit structure. The culture is fun as they encourage their employees to have a great time at work.
stable, reliable, compensating, rewarding
Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, New MexicoAugust 29, 2013
I loved my job at AOL. I would answer incoming calls and sell internet service to customers. I would also assist customers with installation directions.

I learned much of my computer skills while I was working at AOL. Co-workers were amazing and productive.

Management at AOL was always on top of their game and created incentive and made the work environment exciting.

The best part of working at AOL was the schedule and people I worked with as well as the population served.

I wish AOL jobs were not out sourced as I would probably have still been employed there.
Pros
freedom, incentives, galas, appreciation
Great culture, opportunity to work with others collaborating on the firms key strategic initiatives
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2012
I acquired a strong background in quantitative analysis from my time in investment banking at a top tier investment bank, will be completing a certificate in Project Management, and currently demonstrating strong operations results at AOL. For example, I worked with cross functional groups to redesign the customer payment workflow leading to a 60% reduction in billing errors. Additionally, I presented a strategy that incorporated strategic partnerships to make our sales organization 30% more productive when launching campaigns. These were major wins in the operations team and our organization.

I am at my best when I can use data, demonstrate my passion for technology, work collaboratively with team members, and present solutions to major objectives. I believe that the skills I have gained through my education and work experiences will enable me to make a strong contribution in an operations role.
productive fun working place great co-workers to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 10, 2014
A typical day at work was to do a good job and have fun.
learned how to get along with other people of different races and how to work together as a team and how good it felt after the job was done.
Management was good great owner and supervisors
hardest part of the job was try no to curse customers out that curse you out.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that good pay check that I had to use to pay my bills and knowing they gave me the opportunity to work for a good company.
Pros
working in a good environment
Cons
short breaks
Rebirth of a Startup
Software Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2014
AOL is leaving competition in the dust by adopting brand new technologies, setting reasonable and ambitious goals and putting the employees first. Every AOL office has its own personality, but one thing is for certain, they're in the business of hiring the best to be the best. With its start-up-like environment and generous benefits, it truly is a great place to work.
Pros
catered lunch once a week, massage chairs, xbox/wii, pool table, ping pong, fully stocked pantries (drinks and snacks)
fun place to work for with alot of spiffs and bonuses
CUSTOMER SERVICE RETENTION REP (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaAugust 29, 2014
I would answer calls from customers who wanted to cancel their acct I would tell them about the great benefits that the had on their plan and would offer tem 2 free months of free service to review their plan to see if they wanted to stay with AOL or not I would then ask them if I resolved all of their issues and end the call.
Pros
bonus and insentives per day was nice to have
Cons
we were offered the 401k plan health benefits and vacation pay also holiday pay
Great environment and benefits
Manager, Digital Media & Talent Relations (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAAugust 6, 2013
Fun place to work.
Great incentives.
Fantastic raises and great benefits
Cons
no time for lunch
Aol
High Speed Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 23, 2014
I loved working at AOL. I had excellent management, and although the calls were difficult at times, the managers provided support and suggestions for issues. There was a real sense of family, even with a large company. Unfortunately the call center closed, but I took what I learned from my position there, and applied those things to my other jobs, as well as every day life.
Pros
management, education, positive environment
Cons
closed center
AOL/CompuServe was a good place to work.
Senior system administrator (Former Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHMarch 1, 2012
Unfortunately both were sinking (our customer base was shrinking) the last decade I was there (98 to 10). Before that, and during that time, we were professional and tried to produce and deliver a product that was worth what the customer paid for it. Each employee was held accountable for their area and was compensated for making their area work well. Management was cognizant of the problems involved and did their best to help each employee.
Pros
we had a good cafeteria in the building
Cons
we were in a 24/7 business
Fun young place to work
Operations Analyst, Entertainment Portfolio (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2013
Great work life balance but no clear direction from management
Best job I ever had
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 10, 2014
As executive assistant for an international internet company was an exellent experience. Learned about international travel and meetings. Was allowed to expand my skills by attending my executives meetings with him/her. Co-workers were very professional. Hardest part was long work days. This position would sometimes need me to work until 10 pm. Most enjoyable part of the job was that it was unlike any type of executive support I had ever done.
Pros
new and exciting work
Cons
some long work days
great leadership, a little fast paced but if you can keep up it's great!
User Interface Designer, Researcher, Moderator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2013
... - or at least it was during my experience! I had a great mentor/leader as a manager when I first started as an intern who I personally credit for the majority of the way I think about and carry out my UX work / style today.
Pros
nice ambience, lots of swag, good company culture
Cons
cubicles are somewhat hard to navigate - open communication not always actively encouraged.

4.2