AOL Employee Reviews

Help customers with their computer needs
Customer Care Consultant-Tech Support Division (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 20, 2014
I worked as Tech Support on the phones. I assisted customers in repairing their software to be able to utilize the internet. I enjoyed helping the customers very much and gave excellent customer service each and every call.
Pros
lots of overtime, yearly parties for familes
Cons
closed call center
Up and down
TPM (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 29, 2014
AOL has some of the best minds in the business focused on delivering relevant content to it's mass audience. Finding the right part of the business for you can be a challenge.
Pros
contributing to the news and various special interests, contributions published to many is very rewarding.
Cons
very cut-throat and competitive, regular layoffs, modest sense of uncertainty.
Fun and upbeat call center environment, excellent training, compensation and benefits..
Sales and Registration Rep (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 7, 2012
Great company and management. They were very concerned about employees health. We had an onsite gym, weight loss contest and rewards program.
Pros
lots of prizes and gift cards for working overtime, max que recognition for top 10% achievment.
Cons
outsourced all us jobs.
productive work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  jacksonville floridaJuly 18, 2012
My typical day at work was inputting AOL orders and canceling accounts. I also help customers with their billing problems and questions. I enjoyed working at AOL because we always had incentives and different ways of celebrating your accomplishments. The harderst part of working with irate customers that was extremely upset.
Creative environment with excellent benefits.
Account Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville,FlFebruary 19, 2012
Excellent atmosphere, with a diverse group of employees with plenty of opportunities for growth. The Company sponsored several fun events on a nearly weekly basis and also provided great incentives to make an enjoyable workplace.
Pros
good work/life balance
Cons
shifts changed every six months
Great Place to Work
Network & Systems Integrator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 12, 2013
The environment is great but in the end there isn't much room for advancement.

I've learned a lot while I was there, essentially refining my skill sets while being in this environment.

Co-workers are GREAT except management has a bit of an issue properly communicating.
Pros
free lunches!
Cons
management communication problems
Digital City was the quintessential internet company during the 90s
Associate Interactive Media Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 24, 2015
It was the highlight of my career. The company moved fast, changed fast and employees were taught to new technologies. Digital City was located to a hip area in Santa Monica.
Pros
freedom to be creative, by the beach, hip and young staff, picnic, beach volleyball
It was a good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.-SOFTWARE SPECTRUM (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 10, 2015
I love working for them a nice place to work and grow with the company my work days was very good meet different people on the phone I wish they could have stayed in tampa . And I meet a lot or people who I work with got to be like family
Pros
had great benefits if you was in school
Cons
not able to keep stocks up
High pressure to high pressure clients
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 22, 2013
Received calls from members desiring to cancel their membership. My task was to convince member to keep their membership active. Learned to manipulate and strong-arm clients to retain account. Compensated well for this dubious skill. This ultimately proved too difficult for my conscience.
Outsourced
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 3, 2014
Awesome management, fun friendly coworkers, rewarded short term, mid term, and long term, consistent awards. Adhere to strict time management but fun dealing with people. Communication skills were fabulously grown and trained upon.
Pros
in house training, rewarded daily, motivation masters
Cons
time strict, hard to move up
Company is very good at offering reward for a job well done
Technical Support, Sales and Password (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 8, 2012
Most employees use this job as a stepping stone to another job. Or else they use this as a way to earn decent money while going to school.
Pros
excellent reward system
Cons
company became somewhat anti-employee, more pro-profit after merging with time warner
The AOL culture was in transition because of rapid expansion
Transition Project Manager and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMay 16, 2014
Excellent company with excellent benefits.
I had freedom to explore different venues in my work experience.
This enabled me to grow because I was exposed to many different types of experiences
Pros
free culture
Cons
none that i can think of
America Online
Tech Support Rep and Call Center Coach (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2012
Worked on the Lead Team and assisting in training new members with Technical Call Center procedures, did floor coaching on Aspect, Call Times, Troubleshooting, company procedures, and managed Case Mail. There were 250 people on my floor team.
Pros
creativity and team support
Cons
high stress
Fun yet challenging
Sr Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 12, 2014
High-energy workplace full of younger, ambitious, "type A" employees. Entrepreneurial spirit. Efforts are recognized and generally rewarded. Hardest part of the job was the long hours that seemed to be expected. Beautiful HQ campus with full amenities.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
longer hours
Management always helped with stress
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 26, 2014
I sold America Online yellow pages for business'. It was a little stressful cold calling but the owners always did what they could to calm us down. They allowed as many breaks as possible. The company soon went out of business.
Pros
less stressful
Cons
people yelling at you on the phone
Fun work place
Customer Care Consultant -Senior Fraud Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FlOctober 5, 2013
AOL was a Great place to work until they went out of business in 2006. The management was always so eager to help associate achieve their goals for the month by getting on the phones helping when the call volume was high.
Pros
always gave out awards for best stats
Cons
na
Worked here in the mid-90s
Windows Beta Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 28, 2013
This was such a fun, educational place to work. Though, towards the end, the lay-offs and other silly moves by upper-management made it stressful. That being said, there was nothing more amazing than being a part of that company during its multi-million user growth spurts.
easy place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 6, 2012
answer and sell internet over the phone, learned patience with customers not speaking fluently in the English language. management was very helpful. co-workers were like family. hardest part was getting yelled at over the phone. best part was the compensation.
Innovative and supportive of professional development
Consumer Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Spent two months in a Consumer Marketing Internship role with 2 Aol brands, Moviefone and Engadget. Developed skills in campaign management, delivering creating assets, offering performance analysis from extracted data.
Great place to work but very time consuming.
Sales Representative/Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte NC and Charleston SCJuly 13, 2012
I was responsible for in home cable/internet sales, customer service and retention. Aslo responsible for audits and area management.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
time consuming which took away from time with family.