Apex Tool Group Employee Reviews

Mismanaged
Injection Molding Operator (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCDecember 26, 2016
This company is very mismanaged and has very little room for growth. Though they have the right mindset their execution is very poor. They break their promises on hiring people and often management changes on the regular.
Pros
easy work
Cons
pay, benefits, growth
Decent pay but don't look to advance unless you are willing to kiss butt!!
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCOctober 6, 2016
Great knowledgeable coworkers loved the work atmosphere but work in fear everyday not knowing if you will be sent home very biased company and can only advance if you are in the click meaning that if you are not one of the good ol boys you are shop trash.Very prejudice management and some of the things that happen under the table around there would really surprise people so watch your back!!!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Place not progressing I feel on the brink of closing!!!
Fun and interesting place to work with rec room.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 27, 2016
Good place to work. I learned how paint and varnish was made. I worked well with management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was clean up upon completion of work. The most enjoyable part was learning the trade and interacting with co-workers.
Pros
Something new every day.
Cons
Somewhat dirty job.
Lots of work not enough hours in the day to go it all.
Manual Tooling Operator, Grind shop (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at APEX / Danaher meant working your butt off to meet production goals for the cells, lots of nice people pretty much every body got along. Mostly old machinery, lot of work to keep them running. Most of the bosses did not have a clue as to what was going on were just there to intimidate the workers. I wish the place was still running, kind of miss working there. There were a lot of funny people kept you laughing. Every time you turned around we had a new CEO. They all pretty much said I am here to make this shop run good or close the place down, and they finally did ,lost my job in the big layoff of early 2013 .....
Pros
Good pay, lots of work up until about the last year the place was open
Cons
Did not know if you were going to be let go every day when you went to work
if you really need a job............
Assembler I (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCDecember 8, 2015
This is a place for people that just want a great paying job without all the hard work. Management is very demeaning and disrespectful, and will do anything to get the job done. ANYTHING. They don't operate by handbook, just rules and polices that are made up as you go along. And depending on the day or mood they may or may not follow their own rules. Hopefully you'll be a favorite or else you'll be cast out with the rest of them. There are no opportunities for growth with this company, they strictly work off the Buddy system, so make lots of friends with the right ones or else you'll be stuck in the same position forever. Everyone's in your business and makes it a point to make it topic of discussion. Management and salary are not excluded from this behavior, even HR can not be trusted, and their idea of an open door policy is a bunch of offices that stay vacant (from avoidance) with the doors open.
Pros
great pay
Cons
very unprofessional, extremely high turnover rate, unfair and discriminatory
APEX Tool Group
Expeditor/Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 10, 2017
Best job I ever had! Consolidation of 3 Plants into this location destroyed a lot of hopes and drams for people that relocated to SC from TX and AR. its a shame
Crazy
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 9, 2016
One of the worst manufacturing facilities I've even been in!!! Moral is very low. Safety is a non consideration. Quality is extremely poor
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Management just plain doesn't care
Tool Manufacturer
Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Sparks, MDJuly 22, 2016
Only worked here for a few months in between two positions so can not offer much in terms of a review. Initial thoughts were that the company led a sophisticated FP&A department with in depth financial performance metrics.
Apex is losing money left and right. And it is just one bad decisions after another
Waste Water Treatment Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCOctober 7, 2015
I was blessed to work there. I learned a new level of skills. Apex is consolidating all of there plants in the united states in to one plant in Sumter South Carolina. This is where the problems started. They are understaffed, did not know how to use the new machinery, and the management refuses to take direction from anyone that has used this equipment. A normal day is coming in with no idea what time your going home or what hours your working tomorrow. For months I was working 90 hours+ 7 days a week. The employees there are great. Polite and out going
Pros
Double time on Sundays, Great co-workers
Cons
scheduling changes day by day, no days off, poor training, forced to
Horrible place to work
Precision machinist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCSeptember 16, 2012
Had to wear many hats, simultaneously, for upwards of 60 hours/week. Stuffy management style, very much a top-down, bad case example of corporate America. Profitable because they squeeze the productive employees, and those employees often times have to carry others on their backs.

Swinging door, extremely high turnover and they lay people off with a fair amount of frequency. They also fire people for some really dumb reasons. They manage through fear and intimidation, and mete out very harsh punishments (usually just fire people). Lots of bizarre workplace rules not common to real-deal manufacturing sites, more like a control-freak environment with a severe corporate bent.
Cons
short breaks, mandatory 12 hour days, mediocre benefits, horrid group-think mentality, pressure to conform to ambiguous "standards", etc.
Good Place to Work
Senior Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCAugust 15, 2015
I truly enjoyed working at Apex Tools, however when they merged with another company and brought in their management they didnt seem to care about their employees as the previous management staff did. That brought down morale and lots of rumors started flying, at which time I found another job closer to home.
Pros
Very Good Pay and benefits
Cons
High Turnover
Company has no room for advancement , Some of the Supervisors don't have the correct knowledge to be in a the position of a supervisor.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJune 3, 2012
A typical work shift starts by trying to find out which tableto work on, co-workers walking around worring about what everyone else is doing ,management and supervisors or so unorginized ,the hardest part of the job was working with someone who don't want to work as a team ,and complains a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the end of the shift.
Pros
the company is good at rewarding their employers.
Cons
shortbreaks, no advancement opportunity for the correct person with the skills for the job.
Good people to work for
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 14, 2013
customer service responsibilities, data entry, forklift driving, opening and shipping doing UPS. HAZMAT certified, problem solving. Worked great as a team, self motivated. Hardest part of the job was long hours and irregular scheduling of work time. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people and learning new skills.
Pros
stable work environment, friendly management, co-workers
Cons
working holidays with no notice and hours changing with no notice
Fun, challenging,
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCDecember 11, 2013
It was a great place to work, the people were my family, after 32 years and a lot of changes, I hated that they closed the doors. The managers changed after awhile so the family feeling with them was lost, but the people were still and always will be family. I was taught so many things there, the most was you have to have team work, that's what makes a business. The most fun part was seeing my friends everyday.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, good people
Cons
Management change
Reduced workload due to economy downturn
Planner/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCApril 27, 2015
Std office hours observed. Work/life balance very good. Steady work with excellent manager. Good team atmosphere. Good benefits.
Massive Warehouse distribution center with a fast paced work environment
Quality Control Manager and Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDDecember 19, 2013
Learned quite a bit about managing employees here. I was promoted to Quality Control Manager within the first year and a half of working at this particular warehouse. I was responsible for writing the schedules and supervising approximately 4-6 inspectors on a daily basis. I was also a part of the Industrial Engineering department working directly under the head Engineer there. My daily duties included inspecting and locating new items from receiving, auditing shipments put together by the selectors on the warehouse floor, and reconfiguring storage setups to correspond with demand and product flow.
Pros
Positive Work Environment, Good Management
Cons
The Company has relocated to North Carolina
Management is very unstable! They fired the planet manager!!!
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Lexington scMarch 11, 2015
Apex I would say go thru to many changes. If your area his work, management expect you to stay until the job is complete. Apex does pay well, but there's a lot of BS that comes along with it that good pay. The starting pay at Lexington SC is 17.75hour. That's the lowest. The temps make 14$ a hour. Management is very unstable! They always calling meeting informing employees of up coming changes. If you don't like changes this definitely is not the place you want to be. You will always have a job if you come to work and don't be late. Management just go thru to many changes. I mean a lot of changes constantly!! Whether they changes the work shift, change your hours, make employees work mandatory 12 hours shifts. Nothing is stable in this company. Again you will always have a job long as you come to work and be there on time. The pay is very good. You can make 20$ a hour fairly easy. The employees are very noisy! Keep your business to yourself if you don't want the hole place knowing about it. A lot of employees like to watch others and run and tattletale.
Pros
Very good pay starting pay 17.75$
Cons
Unstable workplace
this and that
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCJanuary 26, 2016
I like that the days don't feel the same. Just kidding, this is kind of a boring place to work at VC summer and I'd rather work for some other company doing something that I Enjoy.
Pros
free nothing
Cons
yes i'll do it
diverse employees
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCNovember 23, 2013
Turnover rate is high
job security is very low

• a typical day at work is stressful
•inter peronal skills
•management constantly changing
•your co-workers easy to get along with
•the hardest part of the job understanding the chains of command
Pros
Open Door Policy
Cons
negativaty
ATG was a innovative company
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 11, 2013
ATG, management and supervisors, encouraged the learning of new and innovative ideas and technology that would make all departments more efficient and productive, both in product production as well as office/administrative tasks. The most enjoyable part was that, while always being available if the situation needed it, my supervisors and co-workers trusted me in my ability, knowledge and skills to get tasks completed in a timely and accurate manner without feeling the necessity to micro-manage. The most difficult part was that my contact with all of the associates of the facility was limited due to time and opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Apex Tool Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9