Apl Employee Reviews

Bad People... Idiots managing Idiots
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAJuly 23, 2017
Worse company ever worked. Bunch of Idiots managing others idiots.

Unfair environment, union longshoremen making ridiculous salaries with all insane privileges against normal employees earning bad salaries.
Pros
Cons
Idiots management, bad culture
Lots of experience gained here but partner got into bad things and abandoned business that I did the hard work to build.
Account Executive / Part Owner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service and the "art of the deal" at this company. I went into this startup business without researching or knowing my partner really well. That backfired on me. I built the infrastructure of the whole business; from locating and securing an office location to furnishing and setting up phone systems and business plan. We got off to a good start by partnering with some large businesses as partners and had revenue coming in and was working hard to build the company up. However, my partner got into some trouble and out of the blue, abandoned me and the business. It was a sad situation since I had such high hopes for my dreams of owning my own business.
Pros
Worked my own hours since I had another career, freedom to build a business from the start and feeling a sense of accomplishment for that.
Cons
Sketchy co-owner, did all the actual work myself with no help, and partner disappeared.
Consulting firm
Consulting Controller (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXMay 17, 2016
Consultant to clients and consulting firms for SEC reporting - (10Q & 10K) and sox compliance; interim management; oil and gas accounting; audit support and coordination; software testing; accounting reconciliation and financial statement preparation; business process improvement.
great place to work
Manger (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 14, 2016
they take good care of their employees. it has great opportunity for advancement. They have a lot of location throughout the world so how you advance is up to you.
Pros
insurance
Cons
shift time
n/a
Equipment Maintenance Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 13, 2016
Typical work day in a call center type of setting. I have learned a lot about the Liner business in my short time here. APL is a good company to work for.
Nice place to work
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2016
Good place to work and good work life balance. I would recommend this company to anyone who is interested. Management is sharp and understanding to the needs of the employee.
Apl
Not Applicable (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 21, 2015
Work environment is good and there are opportunities for advancement. The company has been around for over 150 years and is currenlty one of the major shipping lines in the world.
Over all a wonderful place to work
sales support representative (Current Employee) –  unionJune 9, 2015
The compensation is fair for what is expected. The team is extremely helpful, and very nice. I learn more and more about the industry daily because I am surrounded by a solid and knowledgeable staff. Management is concerned with success and has an open door policy
Pros
lots of company lunches, extremely balanced work/life
very friendly
data entry (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJFebruary 27, 2015
I learn alot about trucks and tractors. The hardest part was trying to get license plates on trailers due to the time they come in and go out. The staff was very friendly
Pros
able to work at your pace
somewhat productive, and fun
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 8, 2015
just pulling orders and unloading cargo trucks, always learned how to work smarter, hardest part? didn't have any my co-workers were somewhat helpful through out the day, the only time I will enjoy work is when I feel I was productive.
If you're a brown noser with no back bone they will love you
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 16, 2014
The job itself is simple, answer calls about imports or exports. The environment however is very stressful because nothing means anything, every policy will be reversed if a customer complains enough.
There is a potluck every three days and it's really just the brown nosers jockeying for position. I had the worst rotel dip and the most tasteless cupcakes ever in life there.
Management are pretty useless, mine was an divorced alcoholic who smelled of vodka at least twice a week.
There will be two more, one is jittery and disconnected while the other is the guy who actually does the work in support of the other two. There will be a "senior" manager who is also a divorced venom filled Gestapo officer. Then you will have a director who has no connection to the employees and every answer is a canned corporate response. He will claim that there is an open door policy but it's not, if you talk to him you go on the radar and they retaliate. There is a union but you pay for nothing, none of the reps on site know the policy they just wanted the title.
The pay is good, 23 bucks an hour and ask any customer service representative and that is the only reason they are there. If you were to over hear a union meeting you'd know every employee in there hates that place.
Software is out of date, you will have a program called "booktrac" that through mitem allows you to access mainframe screens. What is mainframe? A prehistoric piece of software where books on how to master it are available at Gas Lamp antiques...seriously. It's slow and that makes simple things difficult because simple
  more... processing of request is really done manually.
The biggest problem is for every issue you have to email a different department and wait on a response. This creates a huge back up of return calls that never get made, don't believe me ask a freight forwarder who ships with them if they get called back, the answer is no.
It's not streamlined, and it should be and could be but no one there has the courage to say as it sits it sucks. If things operated in a linear fashion as opposed to branching out the service would be faster with less runaround.
I was actually good at the job, it's not hard to be, but I got fired for being late a lot. I don't really miss it but I thought I would give other people a heads up. I have a strong personality and it didn't fit well there so if you're a creative person who can think don't work there. They want submissive personalities who will laugh, agree and fetch on command. As far as employees a few are ok...maybe 3%, majority are so fake it hurts to listen to them speak.
Also every call is recorded and if you're on Geo you do all of the work. There are what's called dedicated reps and they are completely useless. Their job is simple.. handle information and shipments for maybe up to 4 accounts. They use the same system as a Geo representative only they have to do reports which are just scraped from mainframe and pasted into a excel spreadsheet. But... They will make it out as if they are responsible for reinventing sliced bread. A lot of the titles are bloated as well as the tasks involved in day to day work.
Pros
pay
Un Professional Management
Operations Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 30, 2014
Great place to work until Aji Network theory was forced into culture.

Owners forced bizarre Aji "Scope of Obviousness" practices that damaged overall credibility towards customers.
Cons
pay, advancement
lots of overtime
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 16, 2014
stress
nothing
not great
cool coworkers
numbers
none just overtime
A fun environment, if you love dogs!
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 7, 2014
*A typical day at the APL was always the same; walk the dogs, make sure they have food & water and a clean kennel.

*I learned to watch carefully of the behavior of the dogs to make sure they were ok to walk, even if they had a card saying it was ok to walk them. Certain dogs like/disliked certain people. I never had any problems with the dogs unless someone forgot to latch the cage door, letting the dog run around the room.

*I never really got to be around many people, just a friend I was volunteering with, and sometimes I didn't even see her for the most part. My co-workers were mainly the dogs.

*The hardest part of the job was always the feces cleaning, but it was mandatory so it wouldn't build up in the walk areas.

*The most enjoyable part of the job was to be with the dogs and keeping them company. The dogs always loved the attention, especially the puppies!
Pros
It was always fun to be around the dogs
Cons
Non-pay
Run run as fast as you can
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago AreaMarch 5, 2014
Management in the Chicago area is all about themselves and not the company or the employees. They steal, abuse employees and have successfully run off most of their customers. Lost major business in Romeoville after only a year and a half. STAY AWAY............
Pros
Cons
Upper Management
Great people and work
Art Director / Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 20, 2014
I was able to be completely creative and I learned about copy writing and editing. Management were my friends as well as my bosses. Most co-workers were very supportive had your back. Hardest part was working with the limited work topics. Most enjoyable was the people and creativity.
Pros
convenient to BART so no driving woohoo!!
Cons
didn't get promotion because of lay offs
Its a high pace work zone.
Groundsman (Current Employee) –  College Park, GAJune 12, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is being outside and keeping the pedestrians safe and aware of our actions to keep them out of harms way. The hardest part of my job would be the mental stress of finding locates, making sure there is nothing else that needs to be located before bringing in the machinery, and "potholing" the locate marks to see how close the locates are to the underground utility.