APMEX, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Busy Place
Receptionist, Post Shipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 6, 2015
Learned about all different products gold, silver, etc. Great group of people to work with.
Pros
great benefits including free lunches. able to crosstrain in other departments.
Not just a Job - A rewarding Career
Administrative Assistance (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2014
This is an awesome company in a fascinating industry! I have learned so much about worldwide economics and the global domino effect of geopolitical events on the market place, plus all the product knowledge. I just love learning something new everyday. The culture is positive and empowering whether it involves taking care of a current customer or my personal career advancement.
Pros
generous salary, benefits, bonus package, free lunch program, multiple fun corporate events throughout the year, concierge service internally and externally
Cons
better coffee
Apmex
Specialty Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2014
I place orders and assist customers. You learn to adapt as expectations constantly change. My direct management is good. I like working with most people in the company. The job is easy if you do not let the busy times stress you. You get to help customers.
Pros
free lunch, some great coworkers
Cons
cooperation
Hard work but friendly environment
Double Checker (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 17, 2014
You have to work hard at this job. With the heavy packages plus the order counts being high you have to give it your all everyday. It is very rewarding and fun to work around a well diverse group of people. Even when the CEO of this company passes by me he always stops and ask how my wife and kids are doing. Who wouldn't want to work for a man like that. I have been very happy working here for the past 3 years.
Pros
free lunches, great benefits
Cons
no set schedule
Productive and efficient place to work
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 17, 2014
APMEX is a great place to work. The company is actively growing at a rapid pace. This is fantastisc, but can create many "growing pains" along the way. A typical day at work is working along side individuals with the same goals in minfd and completing daily task in order for things to run smooth and effcient. Managment is also growing at a rapid pace. APMEX provides outstanding benefit packages. APMEX gives you the ability to take control of your future and eductaion. APMEX provides a friendly work enviroment and stives to maintain a healthy work and personal life balance. The company is also very involved it it's community and giving back.
Pros
excellent benefits, free lunches, and fantastic individuals to work with.
Cons
the largest downfall is the lack of communication between departments
Good pay, high turnover, lack of cohesive vision
Retail Purchasing Manager / Wholesale Trader (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 14, 2014
Working at APMEX was generally fast paced and enjoyable, the pay is very competitive. The leadership is slightly vindictive and very quick to terminate employees or even entire departments. For a company of around 200 people it had the highest turnover rate in mid and upper management and high end sales positions. The company executives have a hard time putting forth a cohesive vision for the company, switching their mission statement and focus several times in the last few years. Once APMEX decides what it's vision truly is and sticks with it I think it will really improve as a place for employment.
Pros
free lunches, lot's of giveaways, generous bonus plan
Cons
high turnover, owners expects too much overtime, vindictive leadership
horrible management
Puller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 4, 2014
the management only care about their bonuses, despite working us all day for a full week straight. you dont have anytime to see your family or do anything outside of work, do to the face that when you get home its bed time and work is in a few hours. (ie. we would go in at 7 a.m. and get out anywhere from 8-10 p.m.) and when you work so hard for a Saturday and they decide that they want everyone to come in, i you dont show you get pointed. overall the compensation isnt of free lunches is not enough for the 65+ hour work weeks.
Pros
free lunches, comes with access to a fully stocked soda machine and salad bar.
Cons
work 12-14 hour days monday-friday and when they say you have to give up your saturdays too.
A Small Country Town
INVENTORY AND END LINE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 27, 2013
The typical day at work could begin by telling you that you'd have to work five additional hours. Ok so they've given you the veggies first. Then they'd feed you the numbers to let you know what kind of day it would be. By the end of the day, someone's math was usually flawed.Values were ok but they never lived by them. Team work went out the window soon as meetings were finished.
If you didn't raise trouble, the job was secure, but you weren't moving up. They typically picked their own for advancement far before the positions became open.
Management was grandfathered in from when the company was small, therefore did not have people skills. Management would hide information from us in order to make us move faster. They eventually went from quality to quantity production style management.
Life balance was a bit rough because a person could be punished for using time allowed by the handbook. It depended on how the company felt about intent. However, you did have the option of having time off from time to time.
The most difficult part was paying full attention for 8-12 hours a day not knowing when you'd leave. Doing this while working in a basement with no music and no room for error.
The most enjoyable part was the people I worked next to at times.
Pros
one hour lunch, downtown okc, usually closed on sundays
Cons
stay late mon thru thurs and get sent home early of friday to avoid overtime, unpredictable work days, worked in basement
Nice people
Puller (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2013
Somewhat understanding but now if you decide to work there you will no longer have a life, because you will be working 7am-8pm and more than likely every saturday.
Pros
free sandwich and salad bar for lunch, good pay
Cons
undesirable work hours
Good Company
AP Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 20, 2013
APMEX is a good company. Lots of diversity and you never are bored.
Overall GREAT company to work for
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 13, 2012
Customer service department is the place to start out. It is a friendly environment and everyone gets along and can joke around while working at the same time. The manager is great and cares about not only the company but also making sure you reach your fullest potential. The customer service department helps build your knowledge of the company and how things work. You get hands on experience in not only customer service, but other departments as well. We take calls from customers in regards to orders for precious metals. The most rewarding part is helping a customer who truly appreciates the information you can provide them and the knowledge you can share. The most stressful part are the days where we are so swamped that there is barely any time to get other tasks done outside of phone calls. Overall, the company starts our paying well and is quickly growing.
Pros
good performance is recognized and rewarded
Cons
can be stressful when short handed
Teamwork focus
AM Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CIty, OKSeptember 13, 2012
I have really enjoyed working for APMEX. The main focus is teamwork. Each department works together to accomplish goals, overcome challenges, etc. I am very happy at APMEX, and look forward to a long career with my company.
Pros
teamwork, family focused, employee centric
The distribution department is not recommended if you value freedom and to be treated like adults. Otherwise, all other departments are still enjoyabl
Inventory and End Line Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 8, 2012
A typical day included filling orders making sure they reached the customers in a timely and accurate manner. Overtime was sometimes expected and other times it was a surprise. But it was mandatory.
I learned about manipulating numbers so that the company looked efficient on paper. I also learned a lot about precious metal and coin products as well as human relations.
Lower end management were grandfathered in and most of them seemed to be "yes men" who only cared for self. Upper management of the more technical departments were like night and day. They were the nicest, most professional people I'd ever dealt with inside the company.
The co-workers are about average. Some more pleasant to be around than others.
The most difficult part of the job was unexpected moment's notice of having to work mandatory overtime AND to maintain interest and accuracy. Other difficulties included having limited access to internet and other personally enjoyable coping mechanisms that other departments enjoyed.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the owner actually worked with us during busy times to get packages out.
Pros
they supplied coffee, cable tv, and uniforms for those who wanted them. most areas were able to work by the honor system (breaks, headphones and flexibility at work) so long as work was the priority.
Cons
the most physical group of employees could not enjoy all the perks, due to managers' discretion.

APMEX, Inc. Reviews by Location