Apollo Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great Culture and Ethics
Business Analysis Manager (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDDecember 30, 2015
Loved working for this company it was the most awesome and life changing Experience. Truly a company to promote you to the next level, challenge you to change with change.
Pros
Very competitive Salary beautiful work Environment.
Cons
Wish I could have been there for ever.
Depends on Division and manager
Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2015
Excellent Benefits Package. Hardest part of job-Insecure work environment with quarterly lay-offs. Management in each team determines the work environment. Enjoyable part of job-In my particular division, jeans were allowed everyday. Team builders
Great Place - Great Benefits
Senior Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2015
Worked there for almost 10 years and really liked it. Great benefits and the management staff I reported to was great! I will miss working there.
Educational Environment
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2014
Building relationships with senior leadership to make decisions about which enterprise projects would be viable to manage. Education is heavily regulated by the state and federal government. My co-workers were mainly offsite working with their internal clients on business initiatives. The hardest part of this position was not knowing what changes senior leadership would make concerning my recommendation to proceed or not with a project. Fact-based decisions was not a strong point of this senior management team. Mostly resulting in failed projects and/or sunk costs because of prematurely halting a project. The most enjoyable part was learning how to maneuver in an organization with these kinds of constraints.
Pros
good medical benefits and healthy cafe
Cons
lack of stability and vision for the organization
Great work environment but poor upper managemenent and overall vision
Finance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 3, 2014
I worked for Apollo Group for almost almost 8 years until they downsized and laid me off. It was a love/hate relationship working for them. I loved the coworkers and the students I serviced. However, upper management could care less about the individual employees. The case loads were overwhelming and the pressure of the "terminology" they wanted us to use was aggravating. There was no room for growth/advancement. The direct management was great. There was quite a bit of turnover in management, but they were great leaders and very supportive in their roles. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the collections part of the job with the rapport building and retention efforts. I felt the two should be split into two separate positions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the counseling aspect of the position and getting to know the students and actually being a part of their success in their education.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
poor upper management and no guidance of where the company was going
Apollo Group - IT wise - is shaky
team lead for change mgmt (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AzNovember 8, 2012
I enjoyed my time working at Apollo Group, but the management there is not focused on IT. The general trend appears to be outsourcing as much as possible. When I signed on they had no Change Mgmt function and I helped set it up - then they fired all of the Service Mgmt people, to include Change Mgmt. They had 2 change mgmt processes using 2 different tools. There was no firm direction being set by management for IT. I fully expect them to outsource IT in the near future. The vacation benefits were excellent and I enjoyed the people I work with, but I would not go back there.
Pros
excellent vacation policy
Cons
lack of it direction - outsourcing
Some locations are great others are not
Administraton (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 23, 2012
Depending on what location your work for and who you work for the company is great. In Columbus, GA the management is not management there is no leadership only chaose. I worked for two different locations in my 5 year employment and the last few years have been nothing but headaches and drama. If you are not in the click are a person of color you can forget it; no advancement, no praise, no communication. That is just how they do things. It does no good to call and utilize resources when there is a problem you only get retaliation that can take years to stop. I am glad of one thing. They paid for my degrees and I got my education. I met many great people and for that I am greatful. I just wish that in the southeast region they could get it together and get onboard with culture and values that are rated so highly within the company. Instead they make it a black and white thing it doesn't matter if you are trained or not in the end if you are white trying for a promotion they will pick someone of color from outside of the company first.
Company going through huge change
director marketing (Former Employee) –  san franciscoNovember 17, 2013
great example of company in turmoil-- downsizing and projects cancelled two months after they have started. Senior executives uneven in skills and expertise running a company this size. Still a long way to go to turn the corner against competition from state schoools with better brands and lower cost community colleges. Other for profits are some competition, but the real threat is traditional schools and MOOCs.
Hardest part of job: riding waves of change in business strategy, poor execution and poor communication from executives
best part of job: passion and commitment of most all staff for students
Pros
passionate dedicated workforce, emerging industry, opportunity for change
Cons
constant redirection, change, poor hr, poor benefits package, cost cutting damaging innovation
Apollo has tried, but upper managment does not seem to get it
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 12, 2013
I really loved my job at UOPx. The people were great and the corporate office tried very hard to make it a good place to work. However, there was always an unstable vibe in the place. It sucked because every few months when you pulled into work the lift gates to the parking garages would be open, but meant there was a layoff that day. I worked almost four years and made it through several layoffs. I earned a Bachelors and almost an entire master's from two other schools because the group work is a joke and unreliable. It is a good place to get started working, but a long career is almost out of the question unless you learn how to say 'ok' all of the time and keep up with almost weekly changes to how to perform your job.
Great benefits.
Pros
wonderful cafe at corporate, people to work with who really want to do thier best
Cons
never knew when the hatchet would fall
I would never encourage anyone to work at this place.
Student Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2013
I was a Student Support Specialist in San Diego, CA, and it was the worst working environment I have ever worked in. I firmly believe it starts with leadership and since leadership is very weak and inexperienced, the organization will continue to suffer. They have lost great employees due to their sabotaging work tactics and lack of transparency. If you are considering working for this organization, I firmly recommend that you connect with someone that is currently there so you can learn about the organization before you dive in.
Pros
decent salary, great coworkers and students
Cons
management lacks eq, inexperienced managers and leadership, organization lacks direction, unstable, ever-changing and clique like environment
Provides great resources to develop their employees
Enrollment and Corporate Outreach Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 10, 2012
Apollo Group provided me with a great opportunity to move up very quickly due to strong performance outcomes. My day to day activities involved managing a team of representatives where I coached and trained on customer service skills, negotiations and conflict resolution, overcoming obstacles, creating urgency and needs development. I am also responsible for performance management, constructive feedback to develop employees, facilitating small and large group meetings and training, Community Relations and Corporate Outreach, Marketing for four locations, and managing conversions. The best part of the job was seeing the relationships that developed from exceptional customer service and students starting classes.
Pros
flexibility, great benefits
Cons
very highly regulated
Great school/product but the ship is listing terribly in the bad weather.
Project Manager I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2013
This is a great company to work for mainly because of the tuition benefits and many learning opportunities from the job itself. I have developed a great camaraderie with my teams, regardless of their location.
The culture has changed dramatically and the amount of projects are declining, however. The company and the school are not going away but both will be much smaller in time. The issues with enrollment practices from years prior are still hitting them in the face today.
Pros
tuition benefits
Cons
reductions in projects and workforce; no opportunities for advancement
Wonderful Experience
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2013
The training from this employment gave me lifelong tools into which I can tap into peoples motivation and develop lasting personal relationships. Team environment with encouragement from management to be successful in daily task. Hardest part of job was the cold calling can be a little frustrating when not reaching potential student's. But management had many resourceful tools to break up the melancholy. co-workers very driven and supportive to one another.
Pros
benefits and pay scale where impressive, watching students you enrolled graduate.
Cons
students dropping out
Work Environment
Outbound Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 4, 2013
The work environment is a call center. When I am at work I make outbound calls to potential students(people who have inquired with the school). Once I have someone on the phone, I qualify them by verifying information then connect them to an adviser.

One thing this job has done for me is it has developed my costumer service skills. I am able to recognize peoples concerns and assist them by telling them the benefits of the University of Phoenix. I also feel comfortable with making phone calls and knowing what I am going to talk about with a potential student.

My manager and co-workers at University of Phoenix are extremely helpful. Anytime I have a questions or need help with a problem or situation, they are always there to help me.
Used to be great, but things changed
SR IT CAMPUS/DIVISION TECH (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2014
I enjoy what I do and I like the people I work with, but Apollo no longer has any job security. The last few years have seen massive layoffs each year, and outsourcing is becoming more popular among multiple departments. Management doesn't seem to care about the lower level employees.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
very little job security, management that doesn't care about people.
Fun and family like work place with supportive management
Disbursement/Refund Officer/ Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AzOctober 3, 2015
Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Not bad, not great
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 5, 2012
It's a job. For me, it's not where I want to spend the rest of my professional life, but it isn't bad at all. I work with some great people and my immediate manager(s) are awesome. If you like the job you have with the company, then I'm sure it will be great for you. The pay is pretty good for the work that we do, but the benefits, specifically the medical benefits, have been downgraded recently. The education benefits are hard to beat though.
Pros
education benefits, work environment
Cons
medical benefits, boring cube environment
Expect Chaos and Change, no security
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 3, 2013
If you thrive working in a constantly changing environment with ambiguous expectations, then this is the place for you. Leadership has no long term focus in IT. Job security is low due to constant change and a poor business outlook in for-profit education.

Getting things accomplished is next to impossible with ever changing priorities.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
not rewarding work environment
Apollo group
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2015
Fun work place with supportive middle management. Care about personal growth and development. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Pros
great cafe
Great work enviornment
Help Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2013
I am not looking to leave my company because I do not like it, but looking for additional income with a part time telecommute position. If a position does provide the compensation I receive now I will be willing to make a change.
Pros
great values, benefits, go to school for free
Cons
driving to work, want more time with family and want to travel more