Apollo Group Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time working there
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2017
I owe so much to Apollo Group. I started out at an entry level position answering phones and worked my way up to a Sr. Infrastructure Engineer. Along the way, I made a tremendous number of good friends who I still keep in touch with 5 years after leaving the company. The best part about working there was the teamwork and comradery. The worst part was the politics and power struggles at executive and senior levels.
Pros
Amazing people, strong teams, work/life balance
Cons
Highly Political
Disorganized
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2017
System challenges are the organizations weakest point. Improvements for the financial department to better service the students and internal customers. At this time there are long waiting periods for financial information to be resolved. This has caused a lot of dissatisfaction to the students.
Pros
Job security
Cons
system challenges
Easy job and good pay but no room for advancement.
Senior Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2016
There was no room for advancement and the day to day tasks got to be really monotonous. A lot of the students were difficult to work with as well.
Pros
Good pay, easy job.
Cons
Upper level management is awful and there is no room for growth.
Started great, ended not so well
Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2016
Apollo used to be a great place to work, unfortunately the leadership focused more on the executive level initiatives as opposed to taking care of the ground level, revenue generating initiatives.
Great Culture and Ethics
Business Analysis Manager (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDDecember 30, 2015
Loved working for this company it was the most awesome and life changing Experience. Truly a company to promote you to the next level, challenge you to change with change.
Pros
Very competitive Salary beautiful work Environment.
Cons
Wish I could have been there for ever.
Some locations are great others are not
Administraton (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 23, 2012
Depending on what location your work for and who you work for the company is great. In Columbus, GA the management is not management there is no leadership only chaose. I worked for two different locations in my 5 year employment and the last few years have been nothing but headaches and drama. If you are not in the click are a person of color you can forget it; no advancement, no praise, no communication. That is just how they do things. It does no good to call and utilize resources when there is a problem you only get retaliation that can take years to stop. I am glad of one thing. They paid for my degrees and I got my education. I met many great people and for that I am greatful. I just wish that in the southeast region they could get it together and get onboard with culture and values that are rated so highly within the company. Instead they make it a black and white thing it doesn't matter if you are trained or not in the end if you are white trying for a promotion they will pick someone of color from outside of the company first.
Great school/product but the ship is listing terribly in the bad weather.
Project Manager I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2013
This is a great company to work for mainly because of the tuition benefits and many learning opportunities from the job itself. I have developed a great camaraderie with my teams, regardless of their location.
The culture has changed dramatically and the amount of projects are declining, however. The company and the school are not going away but both will be much smaller in time. The issues with enrollment practices from years prior are still hitting them in the face today.
Pros
Tuition benefits
Cons
Reductions in projects and workforce; no opportunities for advancement
Apollo Group - IT wise - is shaky
team lead for change mgmt (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AzNovember 8, 2012
I enjoyed my time working at Apollo Group, but the management there is not focused on IT. The general trend appears to be outsourcing as much as possible. When I signed on they had no Change Mgmt function and I helped set it up - then they fired all of the Service Mgmt people, to include Change Mgmt. They had 2 change mgmt processes using 2 different tools. There was no firm direction being set by management for IT. I fully expect them to outsource IT in the near future. The vacation benefits were excellent and I enjoyed the people I work with, but I would not go back there.
Pros
excellent vacation policy
Cons
lack of it direction - outsourcing
Great work environment but poor upper managemenent and overall vision
Finance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 3, 2014
I worked for Apollo Group for almost almost 8 years until they downsized and laid me off. It was a love/hate relationship working for them. I loved the coworkers and the students I serviced. However, upper management could care less about the individual employees. The case loads were overwhelming and the pressure of the "terminology" they wanted us to use was aggravating. There was no room for growth/advancement. The direct management was great. There was quite a bit of turnover in management, but they were great leaders and very supportive in their roles. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance the collections part of the job with the rapport building and retention efforts. I felt the two should be split into two separate positions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the counseling aspect of the position and getting to know the students and actually being a part of their success in their education.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor upper management and no guidance of where the company was going
It's okay
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2016
Although it's nice to teach here, but the lack of curriculum writing can be frustrating. It seems more like a check list instead of facilitation or teaching.
Depends on Division and manager
Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2015
Excellent Benefits Package. Hardest part of job-Insecure work environment with quarterly lay-offs. Management in each team determines the work environment. Enjoyable part of job-In my particular division, jeans were allowed everyday. Team builders
Educational Environment
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2014
Building relationships with senior leadership to make decisions about which enterprise projects would be viable to manage. Education is heavily regulated by the state and federal government. My co-workers were mainly offsite working with their internal clients on business initiatives. The hardest part of this position was not knowing what changes senior leadership would make concerning my recommendation to proceed or not with a project. Fact-based decisions was not a strong point of this senior management team. Mostly resulting in failed projects and/or sunk costs because of prematurely halting a project. The most enjoyable part was learning how to maneuver in an organization with these kinds of constraints.
Pros
Good medical benefits and healthy cafe
Cons
lack of stability and vision for the organization
Company going through huge change
director marketing (Former Employee) –  san franciscoNovember 17, 2013
great example of company in turmoil-- downsizing and projects cancelled two months after they have started. Senior executives uneven in skills and expertise running a company this size. Still a long way to go to turn the corner against competition from state schoools with better brands and lower cost community colleges. Other for profits are some competition, but the real threat is traditional schools and MOOCs.
Hardest part of job: riding waves of change in business strategy, poor execution and poor communication from executives
best part of job: passion and commitment of most all staff for students
Pros
passionate dedicated workforce, emerging industry, opportunity for change
Cons
constant redirection, change, poor HR, poor benefits package, cost cutting damaging innovation
Provides great resources to develop their employees
Enrollment and Corporate Outreach Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 10, 2012
Apollo Group provided me with a great opportunity to move up very quickly due to strong performance outcomes. My day to day activities involved managing a team of representatives where I coached and trained on customer service skills, negotiations and conflict resolution, overcoming obstacles, creating urgency and needs development. I am also responsible for performance management, constructive feedback to develop employees, facilitating small and large group meetings and training, Community Relations and Corporate Outreach, Marketing for four locations, and managing conversions. The best part of the job was seeing the relationships that developed from exceptional customer service and students starting classes.
Pros
flexibility, great benefits
Cons
very highly regulated
I would never encourage anyone to work at this place.
Student Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2013
I was a Student Support Specialist in San Diego, CA, and it was the worst working environment I have ever worked in. I firmly believe it starts with leadership and since leadership is very weak and inexperienced, the organization will continue to suffer. They have lost great employees due to their sabotaging work tactics and lack of transparency. If you are considering working for this organization, I firmly recommend that you connect with someone that is currently there so you can learn about the organization before you dive in.
Pros
Decent salary, great coworkers and students
Cons
Management lacks EQ, Inexperienced managers and leadership, organization lacks direction, unstable, ever-changing and clique like environment
Apollo has tried, but upper managment does not seem to get it
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 12, 2013
I really loved my job at UOPx. The people were great and the corporate office tried very hard to make it a good place to work. However, there was always an unstable vibe in the place. It sucked because every few months when you pulled into work the lift gates to the parking garages would be open, but meant there was a layoff that day. I worked almost four years and made it through several layoffs. I earned a Bachelors and almost an entire master's from two other schools because the group work is a joke and unreliable. It is a good place to get started working, but a long career is almost out of the question unless you learn how to say 'ok' all of the time and keep up with almost weekly changes to how to perform your job.
Great benefits.
Pros
wonderful cafe at corporate, people to work with who really want to do thier best
Cons
never knew when the hatchet would fall
Used to be great, but things changed
SR IT CAMPUS/DIVISION TECH (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 6, 2014
I enjoy what I do and I like the people I work with, but Apollo no longer has any job security. The last few years have seen massive layoffs each year, and outsourcing is becoming more popular among multiple departments. Management doesn't seem to care about the lower level employees.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
Very little job security, management that doesn't care about people.
Worse place to work EVER!!!!
Enrollment Couselor / Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 24, 2013
Trust me, the favorable reviews on this complany are from lies. This place is for the dogs. Your co-workers are great people, but management and just the way they run things (corporate) are immediate headaches. Nothing makes sense and they make up the rules as they go. They work you to death and squeeze all the lifr out of you. Steer clear or suffer the consequences. There is also no job security. When I saw a lot of my co-workers being randomly fired for no reason I decided to just leave. You do bond with your co-workers because no one else would believe the bufoonery that you experience at work so you end up bonding with co-workers who could relate.
Pros
your co-workers
Cons
everything!!!!!
Innovating every day
Creatives Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2012
The Apollo Group is founded on a culture of innovation and providing higher education to working adults. Over the years I've worked there I've grown as a leader, a creative individual, and have become adept at change management. Management is supportive of creating a rewarding work environment, supporting work-life balance and professional development.
Great Place - Great Benefits
Senior Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2015
Worked there for almost 10 years and really liked it. Great benefits and the management staff I reported to was great! I will miss working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Apollo Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6