Apothecary Products, Inc. is currently seeking an experienced local Import Compliance Specialist to join our Purchasing Team in Burnsville, MN. This position is responsible for managing/maintaining compliance to Statutory, Regulatory, and Importation/Customs requirements, training internal staff involved with importing foreign goods and maintaining a relationship with experts that specialize in importing. This role also provides backup support to our team of Buyers who source and purchase consumer product goods, found at major retail chains and pharmacies around the world.
Our innovative product lines are aimed at making life easier for both the pharmacist and the consumer. Most individuals have our products in their home medicine cabinet, and may not even realize it came from our company because we do a great deal of private-label packaging. Because we are constantly developing a multitude of new and successful products, we continue to achieve growth and stability as a company. Our employees find their work to be varied, and the environment to be fast paced, and entrepreneurial. Being that we are a mid-sized organization, employees wear many different hats and have the opportunity to get exposure to a variety of projects which keeps things fresh and interesting. No one is a number here….each role within our company is a very important piece to the overall success of the company.
The right individual will be local to the twin cities area and have 3-5 years of experience working in an import compliance role, preferably within a consumer good manufacturing and distribution environment. Experience with purchasing fundamentals, international sourcing is helpful, and the ability to multitask to satisfy our growing business activity is essential, as this individual will be a back-up to our buyers, and also could take on some buying roles in the future.
Specific duties include:
1. Ensure company is compliant with U.S. Customs & Border Patrol’s rules and regulations for importing foreign-made goods. Ensure all U.S. and foreign country requirements are met on all import shipments and coordinate all import entries with U.S. Customs, customs brokers and/or carriers. File all required paperwork for all import shipments.
2. Maintain a current knowledge of U.S. and foreign country import/export regulations to ensure that all applicable requirements are met. Regularly visit and review publications from www.cbp.gov and maintain relationships with experts that specialize in importing, i.e. licensed customs brokers, attorneys and consultants. Changes in rules and regulations should be reported to the Purchasing Manager and other employees impacted by such regulation.
3. Monitor performance of company-appointed freight forwarders on freight contract agreements. Report deviations from negotiated rate structure, report service related problems and assess freight and other charges.
4. Review import classifications of all imports and recommend most appropriate HTS codes.
5. Ensure Buyers purchasing goods from overseas are following and adhering to policies and procedures outlined in company’s import compliance manual. Conduct yearly audits to ensure compliance.
6. If required, ensure goods meet both Medical Device and FDA listing requirements. Work with Quality/Regulatory and other departments, as necessary, to ensure compliance.
7. Train company personnel on company import compliance policy and procedures.
8. Ensure that company’s Import Compliance Manual is up to date with U.S. Customs & Border Patrol rules and regulations.
9. Proved backup support to Buyers. Review action messages generated by the MRP system and respond accordingly. This could include actions such as placing a PO, expediting, canceling or rescheduling a PO for an item in the Buyer’s assigned category.
10. Respond to internal and external customers, vendors requests daily. Other projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a business or related field is highly desired. A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in import compliance, and related experience in Purchasing is required, preferably within a consumer goods manufacturing and distribution environment. Excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills are required.
- Currently living in the Twin Cities area*