Appalachian Mountain Club Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Has its trade offs
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Bretton Woods, New HampshireMarch 6, 2016
Their vacation and paid holiday package is exceptional for supervisors and managers. However, this is certainly to compensate for the extremely low wages, lack of empowerment, and a culture that is unwilling to adapt to the times and on occasion can actually be quite hostile due to inexperienced and disengaged upper management (property based management team was excellent though!). Health benefits are on par or slightly worse than other companies. If you enjoy the outdoor enthusiast lifestyle, AMC is great. But if you're also looking to be empowered and have opportunities to move up in the organization, go elsewhere. Turnover is very low in key leadership positions with most in position 10-20+ years. Turnover in entry level management and supervisory positions is quite high due to the low pay and frustrating culture of staff being treated like widgets.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Disengaged management, hostile treatment of employees.
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHMay 3, 2014
The financial compensation was extremely low, benefits were very good. but i enjoyed my position.
Amc
Trail Crew Leader for the Pittsfield Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAOctober 14, 2012
I enjoyed working with the Appalachian Mountain Club, They treated me well and gave me free range to take the lead on a brand new program for that summer. I enjoyed the work I did there and felt like the job was very rewarding and had the perfect balance between hobbies and having time for the outdoor world and between my work schedule. It was perfect though because my work involved being in the outdoors and leading people that I love leading and guiding through the wilderness.
kitchen work
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  Pinkham Notch, NHMay 29, 2012
job was okay, quite boring when we had no guests; kind chef just above me; beautiful rural setting; at the base of mt. washington; great hiking and skiing

Appalachian Mountain Club Reviews by Location