Appalachian Mountain Club Employee Reviews

Awesome summer experience.
Roving Conservation Crew member (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHFebruary 8, 2017
Typical day at work consists of planning and implementing actions to improve the integrity of hiking trails. Work is physical and tough, but great if that's what you're in to. You cook your own food, but the ingredients are fantastic. Great work environment if you can work on a small team for extended periods of time. Cool weekend lodgings with lots of great outdoorsy folks.
Pros
Get to hike in the White Mountains every weekend.
Cons
Not the best resume booster, if you're an upper level classman in college. Unless you're going into conservation.
Great people and great views
Roving Conservation Crew (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHOctober 22, 2016
This place is something special. A tradition older then most, the people. the work, the views. It all is a community together trying to live happy away from all the distractions of today's society. Work hard and play hard is the best way to live life, and my experience showed me i can build some amazing structures. I learned more about myself and how much i can get done in a day of hard manual labor.
Pros
views from housing
Cons
expensive housing for what you get
Great Workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHSeptember 13, 2016
The AMC allows employees to migrate between departments making it easy to move into different work environments and develop a variety of different skill sets.
Pros
Discounts, Networking, Work environment, cheap living costs
Cons
Low Wages
Has its trade offs
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Bretton Woods, New HampshireMarch 6, 2016
Their vacation and paid holiday package is exceptional for supervisors and managers. However, this is certainly to compensate for the extremely low wages, lack of empowerment, and a culture that is unwilling to adapt to the times and on occasion can actually be quite hostile due to inexperienced and disengaged upper management (property based management team was excellent though!). Health benefits are on par or slightly worse than other companies. If you enjoy the outdoor enthusiast lifestyle, AMC is great. But if you're also looking to be empowered and have opportunities to move up in the organization, go elsewhere. Turnover is very low in key leadership positions with most in position 10-20+ years. Turnover in entry level management and supervisory positions is quite high due to the low pay and frustrating culture of staff being treated like widgets.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Disengaged management, hostile treatment of employees.
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHMay 3, 2014
The financial compensation was extremely low, benefits were very good. but i enjoyed my position.
productive and fun place to work for
mountain classroom instructor (Current Employee) –  Gorham, NHSeptember 29, 2013
Teach outdoor and environmental curriculum to middle school students.
I learned to prepare lesson plans.
Mountain Classroom management is very helpful and co-workers too.
The hardest part of the job is find ways to make the activities fun and instructional.
The most enjoyable part of the is to know that some the students like the outdoors and hopefully want to protect their natural environment after they become adults.
Amc
Trail Crew Leader for the Pittsfield Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAOctober 14, 2012
I enjoyed working with the Appalachian Mountain Club, They treated me well and gave me free range to take the lead on a brand new program for that summer. I enjoyed the work I did there and felt like the job was very rewarding and had the perfect balance between hobbies and having time for the outdoor world and between my work schedule. It was perfect though because my work involved being in the outdoors and leading people that I love leading and guiding through the wilderness.
kitchen work
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  Pinkham Notch, NHMay 29, 2012
job was okay, quite boring when we had no guests; kind chef just above me; beautiful rural setting; at the base of mt. washington; great hiking and skiing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Mountain Club. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3