Appalachian Regional Healthcare System Employee Reviews

Inadequate supervisor and no director. Supervisor plays favorites with employees she hired and that she has as close friends
Quality Analyst Lead (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 15, 2017
Denied Family Medical Leave by HR. Supervisor played favorites ignored slack work practices from younger team members. Unable to discuss situation with anyone, none would listen. When supervisor was yelling at me on my personal phone I walked away.
Pros
Some benefits
Cons
Nepotism is alive and well incompetent supervisors.
Do not work here!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  APPRHSJuly 31, 2017
This company has great benefits and that's all. Other departments seem to be happier but dietary is just a nightmare. The management is terrible, verbally abusive to the employees and completely disorganized. I have never been in a more miserable work environment. There are obvious favorites that get to do whatever they please but what else would you expect when your sleeping with the director against company policy. The company needs to observe this department much closer and clean house.
Benefits
Cons
Pay full price for food, no schedule ahead of time, favouritism, abusive environment
Close group of employees
Charles A. Cannon Jr. Memorial Hospital (Former Employee) –  Linville, NCMay 5, 2017
For a small hospital, Cannon hospital operates professionally and compassionately to ensure both employees and patients receive a quality experience. Beautiful campus and friendly employees.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Lack of opportunity
Certified Health Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 13, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with ARHS. They care about their patients and their employees. I would recommend anyone to seek employment with Appalachian Regional Healthcare System.
Productive and Wonderful place to work
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 13, 2017
Apprhs is a wonderful corporation to work with. They go above and beyond for their employees. Pay and benefits are competitive. They are overall the best company to work for in Boone.
Family Atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Linville, NCDecember 20, 2016
This is a small hospital that has a wonderful workplace atmosphere. There are very few opportunities for advancement. (They often struggle with providing full-time hours due to low patient census.)

Would recommend this as a great starting place for someone new to nursing or as an end of career, as needed, work environment.
Pros
Great people and atmosphere
Cons
Limited job opportunities
Good preparation for job assignment outside Kentucky,
Med. Tech. (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 6, 2016
This work here is the best experience aside from my previous jobs.
A typical day for me is the start of motion from the time i clocked in to the time i clocked out.

I have learned to do multi tasking , collating and troubleshooting. AII my co- workers are so nice to me; It is fun and enjoyable working with them with their cooperation and kindness that i was thankful of.
And I call it comradeship.

The hardest part of the job is when somebody will call-in sick and nobody else can fill in and do the task..But no matter how hard for me to do it I tried my best to finish it on time. Because of my dedication to my job/career, I am willing to do overtime and on week-end duty.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that at the of the day you are happy with a peace of mind , doing your best,giving the best, especially to your patients who need it most..I did my part and my
share to the healthcare team. My dedication to my job has reached
me this far of my profession with nearly forty years of experience.
Pros
vacation leave availability of more than a month after accrued PTO
Cons
Regular duty on week ends
Efficient and busy
RN (Current Employee) –  McDowell, KYOctober 8, 2015
Critical Access facility with administration body who had been there for years. Small but also efficient. Has some wonderful attributes but unorganized and lots of inconsistencies. My management skills have much improved but my clinical skills have declined some what due to lack of procedures. We have some great employees and a handfull of bad and I thank Appalachian Regional Healthcare for allowing me to work in this small community facility/close to home as long as they have.
One of the best jobs I have ever had.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 2, 2015
I worked for ARHS for 3 years and I never had a complaint.
I received support and information from my supervisor and they always worked with me if I had a scheduling issue.
I worked for the Home Health Department and I felt that my employers made a superb effort to prepare us for each new case.
I received a raise each year and the benefits were wonderful.
ARHS is a small company and I felt that as an employee I mattered and was important. They took good care of us.
Fabulous Health Care and Gym Facility
Cardiac Rehab/Thrive Intern (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 7, 2015
The wellness center is an amazing place to be a part of. The trainers are fantastic, and they are equipped with more knowledge than you could ever think of questions for.
Good Place To Work
Billing and follow-up specialist (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 20, 2015
Organization provides competitive wages and benefits. Organization employs hundreds so its hard for the management to know every employee.
Pros
Hsa, tuition reimbursement, Pdo
Cons
Short lunch, long days
Horrible place to work!
Billing and Follow Up Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 16, 2014
Incompetent mgmt. that doesn't even know what all their employees actually do.
Would Be A Great Place To Work
Externship (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 6, 2014
I would have been able to work there after my externship. It would have been a great place to work the people are great and they really care about the patients that they take care of.
All about the numbers keep looking
you never know (Former Employee) –  Adult and Family Medicine June 19, 2013
Keep looking. Only care about numbers. No advancement. Low pay. No pay increases. Left not knowing day to day. No compliance to procedures. No standardization. Very few lunch breaks. Horrible turnover. No coverage must do 2 to 3 jobs at a time. Supervisors do not care about employee concerns. Never know what your job will be day to day. If you do not conform to inappropriate procedures or file a complaint you will loose your job.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Mamagement
Just Keep Looking!!!
Cook, Baker, Dishwaher, Tray Starter, Hostess (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 4, 2013
The supervisors have no idea how to run a kitchen, you will only get one weeks schedule at a time, no guarantee of weekends off (even though you are supposed to get one every now and then), rules only apply to certain people and when you "break" them, your schedule reflects the punishment. There is no advancement and the moral is appalling!!! Do yourself a favor and keep looking!!!!!
Cons
thirty minute lunches, too much work, not enough people to cover the schedule, no support from management, no role modeling from management.
Not a good place to work.
.. (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCDecember 14, 2012
Management does not know what they are doing. Leaves you with questions and it never feels like anything is taken care of appropriately.
Good place to work in the high country
Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 25, 2012
The pay and benefits are great for the region. Upper management really cares about providing quality care to the high country.
This organization has made a difference in the community.
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 25, 2012
This is a small outpatient behavioral health setting that has gone through a lot of change. There have been lots of good co-workers that have come and gone in the four years I have been there.
Pros
great location.
Cons
constant change and turnover