Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews

worst place to work in kentucky
Associate Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 10, 2017
one of the worst places to work in Kentucky.. just ask any regular employee, (not a manager or higher up)
the atmosphere is horrible. the company doesn't care any at all about its employees. and they run a tight ship not hiring the people or staff they need, instead dumping the work on others. there are people there with three job titles making base salary of just one of them.
Pros
Cons
working there
Overall a good place to work
RN- started in ICU as a staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYSeptember 28, 2017
ARH is overall a good place to work. As with any company, it could use improvement. ARH is working hard to compare to competition regionally and are working hard to increase satisfaction and morale among its workers.
Awesome place to work!
Community Chief Nursing Officer (Current Employee) –  Middlesboro, KYMay 8, 2017
Awesome work culture. Strong management and great relations between front line and administration. They grow their own and there is plenty of room for advancement within this company. This is a company that truly cares about their employees, patients, and community.
This facility in it's entirety...
RN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Williamson, KYApril 25, 2017
There was no typical day at work. It was the worst ran place I have EVER had the displeasure of working, but I stayed there 10 years almost. You would report for your shift on your assigned unit and be told you weren't needed and either go home or to go to another unit to work, even if that unit was a specialty unit you had NEVER stepped foot on in your life and everything was totally different. I learned my basic nursing skills at this facility. I learned more by having to piece together basic equipment and scrape for supplies because NOTHING was EVER kept the way it should be stocked to save money. Management was lip service only and never once did anything that I can remember in my entire time there to resolve a single conflict that they didn't end up resolving it by punishing the person who originally had a problem and needed their assistance. I would know more than most because they were so horrible I somehow in my 20's ended up getting the title of KNA union president because no one else would go to bat for these nurses or patients. The hardest part of the job was of course again firstly ever losing a patient to an untimely death you couldn't prevent, but the lack of empathy or care of management at both the local and corporate level about these "numbers" being actual human beings also wore on me. The most enjoyable part of the job was easily making the ill better and trying to make the facility a little better in whatever way I could as a union leader for the future.
Pros
Learned quite a bit here
Cons
NO lunch, help, breaks or support from management
Good work environment
Staff Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 15, 2017
Excellent place to work, good employees, good managers and overall pleasant and accommodating. I wish I were back with the environment and staff, miss them like family.
Pros
Many
Cons
Few
Overworked, Unappreciated.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYApril 4, 2017
Not enough staff. People leaving and not getting replaced. Extra work being put on those remaining. Many doing multiple jobs while being promised it's only temporary until they hire someone else, but supervisor not actively trying to get the extra positions filled. Bottom line: She doesn't care. She thrives on chaos and stress and makes lots of empty promises. The hospital would do better by dropping her and using her bloated salary to hire the extra staff needed for the department. The employees are very frustrated and talk of strike.
Also, if you want to be paid well while at this hospital, be a travel nurse. Regular staff isn't appreciated monetarily.
Pros
Co-workers were amazing. And I do think Upper Management cared, but unaware of what was happening in departments.
Cons
Overworked, underpaid.No respect for employees.
Worked here 14 years
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVMarch 22, 2017
I love my job and ARH is a good company. I haven been here 14 years and the only reason I would leave is to advance my other degrees. I have nothing negative to say about my time at ARH.
Educational & good compensation, but poor life work balance
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYNovember 16, 2016
I worked there 25 years, mostly ICU/ CVU. I learned a lot, and gained a lot of experience. Most people I worked with were great. Pay and benefits good. Scheduling not so good. If you need / want certain day of week off... you couldn't get it, unless you found your own coverage most of the time. Mandated overtime.
Pros
Pay & benifits
Cons
Scheduling & mandation
Long hours with no appreciation from management.
Finance (Current Employee) –  Hazard system centerSeptember 25, 2016
ARH has very poor management. The upper management treats their employees with little or no respect at all especially in the finance departments. They expect them to work extremely long ridiculous hours with no overtime because they are salary workers. They have no sympathy for family emergencies or other family obligations. All they care about is their employees getting the work completed while being understaffed by at least five employees. Also, they want their employees to stay healthy but they don't want the employees to take time off for dr appointments.
Pros
Insurance when you can go to dr
Cons
Poor management; long hours; no respect
Family Oriented
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hyden, KYAugust 21, 2016
Family oriented staff. My manager is willing to help in any way and works with all personal schedules when making out work schedule. The hardest part of my job is the physical work it takes to care for some of our patients.
Very Educational place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 15, 2016
I gained very valuable nursing knowledge and experience during my seven years in the ICU at ARH. I also worked with some excellent RNs who truly cared about and advocated for their patients.
Pros
Great coworkers
Small town feel
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 10, 2016
I worked in the HR dept. and it was in a little house converted into an office space where I worked with about 6 other women which made up the entire HR staff for the hospital. Well run and quiet.
Productive and fun
Intern Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Harlan,KYAugust 6, 2015
Very nice working environment with good inter personal relationships between co-workers.Management is great with staff,they listen and take prompt action whenever a problem arises.
Work Day
Emergency Department Hospital Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJanuary 21, 2015
My work day was always busy and chaotic.I had some amazing co-workers.
Arh
Revenue Cycle Manager (Former Employee) –  South Williamson KYAugust 24, 2014
I worked daily with all Revenue departments to ensure charges got coded and posted.
Good place tp work
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitesburg KYAugust 9, 2014
Great place to work. Good management. Good Pay. Good benefits.
Hospital business as usual
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 7, 2014
Coworkers are the best, long hours and short staffed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upper management . The most enjoyable was seeing patients receive the care they deserved.
Pros
Close to home, insurance
Cons
Expected to work long hours
Productive and fast pace work style.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYFebruary 2, 2014
Go in a 7am and start taking vital signs then pass breakfast trays, help patients take a bath and do their ADLs, vital signs again at 11am then pass lunch trays, finish baths, vital signs at 3pm then pass dinner trays at 5pm, make sure rooms are clean and stocked up before leaving at 730pm.
Cons
Short breaks.
Typical day at ARH
Environmental Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Harlan, KYSeptember 19, 2013
A typical day at work is completing a list of tasks assigned by management over an 8 hour time period. I am CPI & CPR registered. I have a friendly personality which in return makes it easy to get along with my co workers and management during almost any situation. The hardest part of my job is when we are short staffed and having so much to accomplish in a short period of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to come in contact with so many different people and bringing a positive impact into my work place.
Pros
Insurance for family
Cons
This is the best the small town has to offer for someone like myself.
A great place to work and serve.
Executive Director, HR and Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 31, 2013
ARH is a great place to work and serve. It was my privilege to serve in five of ARH's communities for more than 30 years. I have seen the organization grow and prosper and was blessed to help transform its Human Resources and Labor Relations and culture. ARH serves in some of the poorest counties in Central Appalachia and does so with distinction. I am proud to have been blessed with an opportunity to make a difference in this distinguished organization.
Pros
Opportunity to learn and grow
Cons
Third party attempts to interfere with healthcare operatons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Regional Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7