Appalachian Regional Healthcare

Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews

Long hours with no appreciation from management.
Finance (Current Employee) –  Hazard system centerSeptember 25, 2016
ARH has very poor management. The upper management treats their employees with little or no respect at all especially in the finance departments. They expect them to work extremely long ridiculous hours with no overtime because they are salary workers. They have no sympathy for family emergencies or other family obligations. All they care about is their employees getting the work completed while being understaffed by at least five employees. Also, they want their employees to stay healthy but they don't want the employees to take time off for dr appointments.
Pros
Insurance when you can go to dr
Cons
Poor management; long hours; no respect
Family Oriented
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hyden, KYAugust 21, 2016
Family oriented staff. My manager is willing to help in any way and works with all personal schedules when making out work schedule. The hardest part of my job is the physical work it takes to care for some of our patients.
Very Educational place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 15, 2016
I gained very valuable nursing knowledge and experience during my seven years in the ICU at ARH. I also worked with some excellent RNs who truly cared about and advocated for their patients.
Pros
Great coworkers
Small town feel
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 10, 2016
I worked in the HR dept. and it was in a little house converted into an office space where I worked with about 6 other women which made up the entire HR staff for the hospital. Well run and quiet.
Productive and fun
Intern Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Harlan,KYAugust 6, 2015
Very nice working environment with good inter personal relationships between co-workers.Management is great with staff,they listen and take prompt action whenever a problem arises.
Work Day
Emergency Department Hospital Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJanuary 21, 2015
My work day was always busy and chaotic.I had some amazing co-workers.
Arh
Revenue Cycle Manager (Former Employee) –  South Williamson KYAugust 24, 2014
I worked daily with all Revenue departments to ensure charges got coded and posted.
Good place tp work
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitesburg KYAugust 9, 2014
Great place to work. Good management. Good Pay. Good benefits.
Hospital business as usual
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 7, 2014
Coworkers are the best, long hours and short staffed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upper management . The most enjoyable was seeing patients receive the care they deserved.
Pros
Close to home, insurance
Cons
Expected to work long hours
Productive and fast pace work style.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYFebruary 2, 2014
Go in a 7am and start taking vital signs then pass breakfast trays, help patients take a bath and do their ADLs, vital signs again at 11am then pass lunch trays, finish baths, vital signs at 3pm then pass dinner trays at 5pm, make sure rooms are clean and stocked up before leaving at 730pm.
Cons
Short breaks.
Typical day at ARH
Environmental Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Harlan, KYSeptember 19, 2013
A typical day at work is completing a list of tasks assigned by management over an 8 hour time period. I am CPI & CPR registered. I have a friendly personality which in return makes it easy to get along with my co workers and management during almost any situation. The hardest part of my job is when we are short staffed and having so much to accomplish in a short period of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to come in contact with so many different people and bringing a positive impact into my work place.
Pros
Insurance for family
Cons
This is the best the small town has to offer for someone like myself.
A great place to work and serve.
Executive Director, HR and Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 31, 2013
ARH is a great place to work and serve. It was my privilege to serve in five of ARH's communities for more than 30 years. I have seen the organization grow and prosper and was blessed to help transform its Human Resources and Labor Relations and culture. ARH serves in some of the poorest counties in Central Appalachia and does so with distinction. I am proud to have been blessed with an opportunity to make a difference in this distinguished organization.
Pros
Opportunity to learn and grow
Cons
Third party attempts to interfere with healthcare operatons.
Loved this job wish had never been let go
Outpatient Surgery Secretary/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 29, 2013
Each day consisted of scheduling pre-admit appointments, scheduling procedures, answering phones, and making surgery charts. I experienced what is required for patients in a healthcare environment I learned all the requirements for surgery including getting patient records needed for determining patient's condition is acceptable for surgery. My co-workers became like my family we worked together like a family. It was always great to get to sit down for lunch and laugh and tell stories while we enjoyed our lunch with the staff.
Pros
Met lots of people got to know the Doctors and was on very good terms with them.
Cons
Honestly there were more cheifs than indians.
Wonderful place to work but as the economy fell they expected more of each employee with less staff which made it hard on everyone.
Outpatient Surgery Secretary/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 27, 2013
Each day was very fast paced which I loved because it made the day go by fast.
In my 11 years working there I learned a lot about all the different surgery procedures and what is required for each person to have surgery. I learned what all the requirements are for surgery and enjoyed getting to know all the doctors and surgeons. I was in very good relations with all the local surgeon offices and all the doctors loved me.
I loved all my co-workers they were all like family to me they took care of me and watched out for me were there when I needed them whether it be personal or needing a break they were always eager to help me.
The position became stressful for me when our admissions was removed from outpatient surgery and I took on that replacement plus the position of Unit Secretary I was just overwhelmed with all the change.
I do miss talking with my co-workers, doctors, surgeons, and other hospital staff they were all a joy to be around. We were like a family we learned from each other.
Pros
co-workers who believed in god and could talk to them freely about it, had weekends and holidays off.
Cons
short staffed, expected you to jump through hoops outside your main expected job, very low yearly raises.
nursing home setting-so it could have been worse
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blowing Rock, NCDecember 5, 2012
I think rules should be followed and it shodlnt matter who you are or who you know if you are wrong, you should be dealt with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Regional Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9