Appalachian State University Employee Reviews

BA in Theatre
Peer Educator in Freshman Orientation (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 14, 2017
Throughout my four years at Appalachian State University, I dove deep into my major, Theatre Performance, and explored my minor, English Studies. It was a very challenging, learning process for me as an independent student who has had to support herself financially. The hardest part was managing time. Taking at least 15 credit hours every semester, working at least 25 hours to pay bills and finding time in between to audition for shows to further my craft, was at times, easier said than done. However, I graduated in May 2017 and I am proud of my accomplishments but look forward to surpassing them with more extensive endeavors.
Nice
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 14, 2017
It was okay. It was very fast paced and sometimes you got good managers, other times you didn't. Closing shifts were always the worse because it was a lot of cleaning
Great Benefits
Environmental Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 12, 2017
Great place with great benefits. As a local that came to work here, Appalachian really gives you a since of small town right on its own campus. Everyone treats each other like you are one of their own.
Major
Student (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 11, 2017
This was my major at Appalachian. The incredible biodiversity in the area makes it difficult to not enjoy this major. Labs are often outside, and the biology community at app is very helpful.
Wonderful place to work
Technology Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 7, 2017
In the 26 years I have worked here, I have been able to advance by the grace of God, according to the effort I have put in and with the assistance of some wonderful people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Cold winters
Beneficial and Productive
Audio Visual Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 23, 2017
Plemmons Student Union did a wonderful job of working around each and every student's schedule in order to help students reach their goals in the future. The management provided constructive criticism and training, and the Union strove towards a multicultural environment.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Uneven expectation of labor amongst departments
Great Student Work Opportunity
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Student Engagement and LeadershipMay 23, 2017
Days at work are easy and fun. I learned a lot about student development and it pushed me into that career path. Management was easy to get along with and talk to. The hardest part of the job is explaining policies and procedures to people who want their functions to be held a certain way.
Pros
Occasional free food
It's a fun workplace
Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 14, 2017
Not very challenging. You get to choose your hours which is a plus.I will not write more I'm sorry that this program makes me put more than a few characters.
Fun place to be with good people
Lead Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NC 28608May 9, 2017
I was a lead tutor at Appalachian State University and enjoyed every minute of it. Teaching students about biology and chemistry was a lot of fun for me. It was an experience that had instant reward after helping students understand the subject.
Belk Library = Best student jobs
Adobe CreativeSuite Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 8, 2017
Working in Belk Library as a student is one of the best jobs you can have while attending AppState. Supervisors are nice, friendly, and willing to work with your class schedule to find hours to work.

Hours can become a bit tedious if you have a desk job but great coworkers and staff make it easier.
Pros
On-campus job, great coworkers, supervisors
Cons
short breaks, minimum wage for most employees
Gta
GTA (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 24, 2017
Loved teaching Research Methods to undergraduate students as a part of my GTA job while in graduate school. Learned a lot and very supportive environment in which to work.
Great People and a Great Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 20, 2017
The people are great and fantastic. People work hard but there isn't a lot of stress. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Appalachian State University.
A fun place to work and learn more about sales
ASU Student Ticket Sales Team - Internship (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 17, 2017
I learned about what it is like to be an inside sales rep. I was not the biggest fan of just sitting there on the phone talking to people all day long, because I am one who likes social interaction. I also learned not to take someone telling you no personally, and to just move onto the next potential customer. I greatly improved my communication skills, and rapport building skills through the several conversations I had with people on the phone. The office environment is friendly and pretty laid back. Finally I learned some more technical skills with certain types of computer software.
Pros
Weekly incentives
Great School
Student (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 17, 2017
It was a great school to attend. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and how interactive the professors were with the students. If you needed help, the professors would always help you, which you don't get at a large school.
Relaxing and Productive At The Same Time
IT Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 12, 2017
The best thing about working for Appalachian State in the Electronic Student Services (ESS) Department was the management. They understood I was a student with different responsibilities. At times they would schedule the stuff we did for work around our exam schedules. They cared about you there and that in itself was more than I could ask for.

Processing tickets that came in through the online system, researching new products that can be used to help campus, and having the most casual of conversations that would get you through the periods where no work was requested. That was a typical day working at ESS. There were no hard challenges, you couldn't complain about much because there wasn't anything to really complain about (except walking in the rain a few times).
ASU's Biology Department, a great place to work
Safety and Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 5, 2017
I have enjoyed my time here at ASU. I work in the biology department, and my colleagues treat me (and each other) like family. Would recommend to anyone who is considering working at ASU.
Working for a university means that you work in an inclusive community. Everyone is understanding and open-minded and truly cares about you!
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 2, 2017
In my time at Appalachian State University, I have had the opportunity to work with amazing people who honestly care about everyone. When they ask how you are, they don't mean "What's up?", they genuinely want to know you and how you are.
A great place with opportunities
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 31, 2017
Food Services is a wide variety of personalities from the full time staff to the students who are employed along side us. The mangers and directors are always trying to push for the success of each individual unit as well as Food Services as a whole. Teamwork is critical to the functionality of the department and it's success. Food Services is also a self-sufficient department within the Appalachian campus. Meeting new students and engaging with them on a daily basis every semester is one of the best benefits of the job.
Pros
Breaks, Free meals, Health Insurance, Team Oriented, Opportunity to take free classes
Cons
Cannot work when campus is shut down for breaks/holidays
Decent part time job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 20, 2017
Kind of a boring job, lots of down time in which you can do other work on a computer if you want, awesome management, easy to take time off and very flexible scheduling.
Flexible and Intentional Workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 18, 2017
Meet with clients on a weekly basis to tutor
There is a lot of autonomy and an enjoyable and flexible workplace
Clients are responsible for showing ups and the culture created by the University Tutoring Center promotes workplace relationships with clients and other tutors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5