Appalachian State University Employee Reviews in United States

Beneficial educational experience
Desk Assistant - BB&T Student Leadership Center (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 29, 2016
As a student, I found ASU to offer a very engaging environment with plenty of opportunities to grow and develop mentally and professionally.
Good place to work with decent pay for young job searchers
FOOD SERVICES TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 15, 2016
Working for Food Services is about as nice of a Temp job as you can get. The pay isn't bad, the area is fairly cheap to live in, and the people you work with are nice.
Pros
Free Food
I was a student employee
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 19, 2016
I was a student employee here for 3 years. I enjoyed the jobs that I had and never had a problem with a supervisor. I work three different jobs at this university.
Great Company
Graduate Research Assistant - Marketing Department (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 26, 2016
As a GA, I enjoyed the flexibility to work around my class schedule but to get the help from the supporting cast around me when I needed it to succeed
Great benefits little opportunity
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 11, 2015
I work a typical work week, M-F, 8-5. I do not take work home, which is a plus. Great benefits are offered by the University. Advancements and opportunities are only available if you move to different departments within the University. There is very little opportunity to more within departments. It also seems that every department is very shorthanded.
Grad Assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCSeptember 12, 2015
Typical GA, it isn't necessarily hard work, but it's good pay and benefits through school. Assuming you are in a program you like, it should be fun.
Workstudy through college
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCNovember 10, 2015
This was a workstudy position on campus. Allowed me to work when I could while also being a full time student. Great environment and place to work.
Great Place to work
Professor, Walker College of Business (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCNovember 3, 2015
Great environment. Great coworkers. Students are amazing. I would highly suggest Appalachian State as an employer. I truly hate to be leaving.
Productive and fun workplace
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCOctober 24, 2015
Learn a lot of skill using Microsoft Office, the Graduate Office is nice, professional and productive. Everyone is friendly and willing to help if you need.
Close community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 11, 2015
Appstate is a wonderful place to work. The community vibe and the small town feel gives a sense of purpose. The academic environment is positive and uplifting...the school spirit is through the roof. The departments are close and everyone works together.
Pros
Small Town, Tuition waivers, flexibility
Cons
Small town, a lot of snow, No room for advancement.
Asu
Senior Board Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 2, 2015
This is a board membership position. I am responsibly for attending two meetings a year and responding to needs of the ASU CIS department chair and faculty.
App State is a great location
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Banner Elk, NCOctober 7, 2015
There are many pros and cons to working in the Boone area of North Carolina, the best is the atmosphere you will find at app state.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCSeptember 29, 2015
I learned alot working for App State. The people were kind and always willing to teach you. My co-workers were great. I enjoyed the people and opportunities the most.
Graduate Life
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 9, 2014
I am a research manager for a professor and a graduate assistant. The hours are flexible and work great around my class schedule, but there are no benefits. The professors are willing to teach you new programs and how to use them but the department is small and there are not a lot of resources available to help advance your career.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Excellent place to start a career in psychology.
Associate Professor of Psychology (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 27, 2013
Stimulating academic and social environment. Very cohesive relationship with colleagues and other professors. Exciting outdoor opportunities, very good place to raise young children. Very hard to leave, but decided to move back to Kansas to be near family.
Pros
life long relationships
Cons
very low salary.
Good place to work, however, it has it's quirks.
Business Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCOctober 8, 2013
Good place to work as long as your not being micro-managed. Provides health insurance plan as well as tuition assistance.
Pros
health insurance, tuition assistance, job security
Cons
too much red tape just to get a small form processed; policies change without notice
Excellent learning environment
Graduate Assistant in the Math Department (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 11, 2013
I would typically show up for 1 to 2 hours of required office hours around lunch time. If the day’s lecture or class work was not prepared before hand I would complete either in the office before going to class. In class I would lecture for 1 hour, give class work, and home work to approximately 25 students in the subject of mathematics. I learned how to be totally comfortable with my mathematical knowledge, and how to present important information to an audience. Management was present in the form of auditors and graduate advisors. My learning came directly from the management that was enjoyable to work with. Co-workers were fellow mathematics professors and graduate students, most of whom I were friends with. The hardest part of the job was relaying important useful information to students that felt no desire to learn the material. The most enjoyable part of the position was teaching students that truly appreciated learning mathematics.
Beautiful campus with great people
Assistant Softball Coach (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 7, 2015
Working from the day to day operations of the varsity softball team. Learning from athletic professionals who are willing to teach a young professional. Enjoying teaching and working with young student athletes to become adults and succeed during and after their career.
Good graduate school.
Business Management Instructor / Grad. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 23, 2012
APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY – Boone, NC 2001 - 2003
Business Management Instructor / Graduate Assistant
Developed and taught four laboratory classes in Organizational Behavior in the Department of Management to 100 junior and senior level students in the College of Business.
• Researched, organized, and built database of over 5,000 photos for selection in new child labor law textbook and cited in acknowledgments for “invaluable research assistance”.
Perfect
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day at work as a Resident Assistant involved counseling resident, writing incident reports, working with police, attending meetings, and being a 24/7 resource for residents.

I learned I LOVE BEING AN RA. Other than that I learned how to be flexible, no matter my plans life will find a way to change them, I learned how to lead, I had over 70 residents directly under my supervision and there were many more that looked up to me. Being a role model and teaching became a second part of my nature.

Oh, and don't forget all the EVENTS! I planned probably a hundred events and participated in hundreds, if not thousands, more between my two years as an RA, each of which had some sort of educational element.

Management can be can be stiff around the edges sometimes, but hey, it is public administration work when it comes down to it, in all practicality, the management I worked with were superstars!

The hardest part of my job was graduating and having to leave it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being a resource to residents, helping them however and whenever possible.
Pros
being a resource for residents and seeing their lives change
Cons
graduating and having to leave the position

4.4