Appalachian State University

Appalachian State University Employee Reviews

Good place to work at
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Boone, NCMay 14, 2015
A typical day at work was delivering and getting the mail for the faculty and staff, print tests and other paper work for the staff, answer phones, filed papers, and keep my work area tidy.
Good place to start career
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Boone, NCMay 13, 2015
I was mainly there receiving my education but working in the Admissions Office was a great bouncing place to gain customer service experience.
Close community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Small Town, Tuition waivers, flexibility
Cons: Small town, a lot of snow, No room for advancement.
Appstate is a wonderful place to work. The community vibe and the small town feel gives a sense of purpose. The academic environment is positive and uplifting...the school spirit is through the roof. The departments are close and everyone works together.
Great environment
Student Work Study (Current Employee), Boone, NCApril 4, 2015
Cons: few hours per week
While working at Appalachian State University's Financial Aid Office, I learned the importance of community among the office workers. In this environment, everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there and – more... all really enjoyed working together. Organizational skills are of utmost importance in this office, especially during peak application times. I am a very organized person, so I enjoyed this part of the job as well. – less
Great benefits little opportunity
Accounting Technician (Current Employee), Boone, NCMarch 11, 2015
I work a typical work week, M-F, 8-5. I do not take work home, which is a plus. Great benefits are offered by the University. Advancements and opportunities are only available if you move to different departments within the University. There is very little opportunity to more within departments. It also seems that every department is very shorthanded.
Beautiful campus with great people
Assistant Softball Coach (Current Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 7, 2015
Working from the day to day operations of the varsity softball team. Learning from athletic professionals who are willing to teach a young professional. Enjoying teaching and working with young student athletes to become adults and succeed during and after their career.
Productive Work Place
Work-Study Student (Former Employee), Boone, NCDecember 21, 2014
Pros: always busy
I would come in and do anything my supervisor asked of me to whether that would be putting student names in our database system for visiting coursework information and keeping student records confidential.
A Bookworm's Dream ^.^ . . .
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCNovember 30, 2014
Pros: books!
I worked as a library assistant at Appalachian State's Belk Library and Information Commons for approximately five months in the duration of my time as a student there. I enjoyed the position greatly because – more... I am an avid reader, and I discovered many great works. My duties included shelving books and helping students find the books they were looking for.

My supervisor was very kind. The hours were flexible and the work was enjoyable. The library has four stories including the basement (where DVDs are also kept.) I enjoyed using the elevator to travel to different floors to shelve. – less
Fun
Softball Field Crew (Former Employee), Boone, NCNovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: work schedule
Lots of interaction with great people. Would recommend to anyone.
Getting me through grad school
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Boone, NCNovember 5, 2014
Flexible hours, reasonable requirements, open and enthusiastic professors.
Work-Study Student (Current Employee), Boone, NCSeptember 26, 2014
This is a friendly work environment because everyone treats you like your family.
Exciting Work Environment
UREC Facility Supervisor (Current Employee), Boone, NCJune 18, 2014
UREC is a fantastic branch of Appalachian State University. It is fast paced and I truly enjoy working there.
Great opportunity to work closely with Professors
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCJune 6, 2014
I enjoyed this position because I was able to work closely with my professors and help them with their various projects. Each day was a little different. Sometimes I'd be attending an undergraduate class – more... with them. Other days I'd be in the office grading and filing undergraduate assignments. My favorite days were the days I helped them locate and read scholarly reviewed reasearch articles for their research projects. – less
A benefit to the community.
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Boone, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: meaningful employment that benefited members of the community.
Cons: a lot of down-time.
The free service that the Appalachian State University Writing Center provides to any who walk through their doors is a true boon. They help individuals develop as writers and dramatically increase the quality of their writing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking with clients as they came to the writing center over the course of a semester and seeing their progress.
a typical day at work
Academic Advisor for Student Athletes (Former Employee), Boone, NCApril 8, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: limited jobs for family
Working with Student Athletes, Coaches, Professors and Administrators
Great Place To Work
FINANCIAL AID CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee), Boone, NCApril 6, 2014
People are great, but I currently do not receive benefits since I am temporary.
Wonderful atmosphere, surrounded by people willing to help you in any way, at any time
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: willingness to help in any way possible by my coworkers and faculty
Cons: space limitations for training
A typical day starts at 6 am in Owens Field house. The women's rugby team begins their in-season weight training under direct guidance from me. I conduct 2, 1 hour olympic training sessions, before my – more... jogging and conditioning classes begin at 8. At 8 am, I head to Quinn recreation center and prepare for my jogging and conditioning classes where, depending on what day their on in their progression I have written for them, they will go through with either a long run class, a short run class, or an agility class. I will teach 3, 1 hour classes at 8am, 9am, and 10 am, this will occur on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays. At 1pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm I will conduct 3 more in-season olympic training sessions for the women rugby team at either Owens Field House or at the Quinn. This schedule is followed Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesdays, form 8 am to 10 am, I teach my first anatomy lab in which all course material is covered, explained, and demonstrated. My second lab comes in from 10am to 12. What I have learned from all this training and teaching is the ability for efficient time management, and honed in on my abilities to reach a student population in the best manner possible. I have learned that a true fulfillment and joy comes from helping and reaching others as a mentor and teacher. Since I am creating and implementing my own progressions for rugby, and jogging and conditioning and creating my own lesson plans for my anatomy classes, I am under only my own pressures to accomplish the goals I have set forth for myself. I still have to report to people above me, but my management skills of reaching the course outlines or goals for teams is governed by y determination to be the best at provide the best results in whatever position I'm in. My co-workers are fantastic and have and will go out of their way to help me with any questions or issues I have in any situation that presents itself. The hardest part of the job is being forced to fail students. This may arise from a number of factors, whether it be not abiding by attendance policies or because they just gave up without actively seeking my help, or the help of their peers. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is seeing my students or athletes succeed in their sport by getting bigger, better, faster, and stronger under my care, and seeing my students succeed in the classroom, and achieving grades they didn't think they could, with the help of my teaching. – less
Graduate Life
Research Manager (Current Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits
I am a research manager for a professor and a graduate assistant. The hours are flexible and work great around my class schedule, but there are no benefits. The professors are willing to teach you new programs and how to use them but the department is small and there are not a lot of resources available to help advance your career.
Perfect
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: being a resource for residents and seeing their lives change
Cons: graduating and having to leave the position
A typical day at work as a Resident Assistant involved counseling resident, writing incident reports, working with police, attending meetings, and being a 24/7 resource for residents.

I learned I LOVE – more... BEING AN RA. Other than that I learned how to be flexible, no matter my plans life will find a way to change them, I learned how to lead, I had over 70 residents directly under my supervision and there were many more that looked up to me. Being a role model and teaching became a second part of my nature.

Oh, and don't forget all the EVENTS! I planned probably a hundred events and participated in hundreds, if not thousands, more between my two years as an RA, each of which had some sort of educational element.

Management can be can be stiff around the edges sometimes, but hey, it is public administration work when it comes down to it, in all practicality, the management I worked with were superstars!

The hardest part of my job was graduating and having to leave it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being a resource to residents, helping them however and whenever possible. – less
Good Place to Work
Assistant Director of HR (Current Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 30, 2014
Appalachian has a very "family" like atmosphere that makes you feel like you are a part of something important. The student population keeps evolving and growing more diverse. It's a good place to work.

Appalachian State University Salaries