Appalachian State University

Appalachian State University Employer Reviews

Exciting Work Environment
UREC Facility Supervisor (Current Employee), Boone, NCJune 18, 2014
UREC is a fantastic branch of Appalachian State University. It is fast paced and I truly enjoy working there.
Great opportunity to work closely with Professors
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCJune 6, 2014
I enjoyed this position because I was able to work closely with my professors and help them with their various projects. Each day was a little different. Sometimes I'd be attending an undergraduate class with them. Other days I'd be in the office grading and filing undergraduate assignments. My favorite days were the days I helped them locate and read – more... scholarly reviewed reasearch articles for their research projects. – less
A benefit to the community.
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Boone, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: meaningful employment that benefited members of the community.
Cons: a lot of down-time.
The free service that the Appalachian State University Writing Center provides to any who walk through their doors is a true boon. They help individuals develop as writers and dramatically increase the quality of their writing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking with clients as they came to the writing center over the course of a semester – more... and seeing their progress. – less
a typical day at work
Academic Advisor for Student Athletes (Former Employee), Boone, NCApril 8, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: limited jobs for family
Working with Student Athletes, Coaches, Professors and Administrators
Great Place To Work
FINANCIAL AID CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee), Boone, NCApril 6, 2014
People are great, but I currently do not receive benefits since I am temporary.
Wonderful atmosphere, surrounded by people willing to help you in any way, at any time
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: willingness to help in any way possible by my coworkers and faculty
Cons: space limitations for training
A typical day starts at 6 am in Owens Field house. The women's rugby team begins their in-season weight training under direct guidance from me. I conduct 2, 1 hour olympic training sessions, before my jogging and conditioning classes begin at 8. At 8 am, I head to Quinn recreation center and prepare for my jogging and conditioning classes where, depending – more... on what day their on in their progression I have written for them, they will go through with either a long run class, a short run class, or an agility class. I will teach 3, 1 hour classes at 8am, 9am, and 10 am, this will occur on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays. At 1pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm I will conduct 3 more in-season olympic training sessions for the women rugby team at either Owens Field House or at the Quinn. This schedule is followed Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesdays, form 8 am to 10 am, I teach my first anatomy lab in which all course material is covered, explained, and demonstrated. My second lab comes in from 10am to 12. What I have learned from all this training and teaching is the ability for efficient time management, and honed in on my abilities to reach a student population in the best manner possible. I have learned that a true fulfillment and joy comes from helping and reaching others as a mentor and teacher. Since I am creating and implementing my own progressions for rugby, and jogging and conditioning and creating my own lesson plans for my anatomy classes, I am under only my own pressures to accomplish the goals I have set forth for myself. I still have to report to people above me, but my management skills of reaching the course outlines or goals for teams is governed by y determination to be the best at provide the best results in whatever position I'm in. My co-workers are fantastic and have and will go out of their way to help me with any questions or issues I have in any situation that presents itself. The hardest part of the job is being forced to fail students. This may arise from a number of factors, whether it be not abiding by attendance policies or because they just gave up without actively seeking my help, or the help of their peers. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is seeing my students or athletes succeed in their sport by getting bigger, better, faster, and stronger under my care, and seeing my students succeed in the classroom, and achieving grades they didn't think they could, with the help of my teaching. – less
Graduate Life
Research Manager (Current Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits
I am a research manager for a professor and a graduate assistant. The hours are flexible and work great around my class schedule, but there are no benefits. The professors are willing to teach you new programs and how to use them but the department is small and there are not a lot of resources available to help advance your career.
Perfect
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: being a resource for residents and seeing their lives change
Cons: graduating and having to leave the position
A typical day at work as a Resident Assistant involved counseling resident, writing incident reports, working with police, attending meetings, and being a 24/7 resource for residents.

I learned I LOVE BEING AN RA. Other than that I learned how to be flexible, no matter my plans life will find a way to change them, I learned how to lead, I had over – more... 70 residents directly under my supervision and there were many more that looked up to me. Being a role model and teaching became a second part of my nature.

Oh, and don't forget all the EVENTS! I planned probably a hundred events and participated in hundreds, if not thousands, more between my two years as an RA, each of which had some sort of educational element.

Management can be can be stiff around the edges sometimes, but hey, it is public administration work when it comes down to it, in all practicality, the management I worked with were superstars!

The hardest part of my job was graduating and having to leave it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being a resource to residents, helping them however and whenever possible. – less
Good Place to Work
Assistant Director of HR (Current Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 30, 2014
Appalachian has a very "family" like atmosphere that makes you feel like you are a part of something important. The student population keeps evolving and growing more diverse. It's a good place to work.
Tutoring
Tutor (Former Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 29, 2014
Tutoring at Appalachian allowed me to expand my own knowledge in economics while helping other.
Good place to work, however, it has it's quirks.
Business Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Boone, NCOctober 8, 2013
Pros: health insurance, tuition assistance, job security
Cons: too much red tape just to get a small form processed; policies change without notice
Good place to work as long as your not being micro-managed. Provides health insurance plan as well as tuition assistance.
Excellent place to start a career in psychology.
Associate Professor of Psychology (Former Employee), Boone, NCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: life long relationships
Cons: very low salary.
Stimulating academic and social environment. Very cohesive relationship with colleagues and other professors. Exciting outdoor opportunities, very good place to raise young children. Very hard to leave, but decided to move back to Kansas to be near family.
Enjoyed every minute
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Boone, NCAugust 21, 2013
Great college atmosphere. Great professors and students. Lots of innovation.
Wonderful 13 years working at ASU
Educator (Current Employee), Boone, NCJuly 23, 2013
Wonderful 13 years working at ASU. Leaving to come back home to Davidson County to be with family.
Excellent learning environment
Graduate Assistant in the Math Department (Former Employee), Boone, NCJuly 11, 2013
I would typically show up for 1 to 2 hours of required office hours around lunch time. If the day’s lecture or class work was not prepared before hand I would complete either in the office before going to class. In class I would lecture for 1 hour, give class work, and home work to approximately 25 students in the subject of mathematics. I learned how – more... to be totally comfortable with my mathematical knowledge, and how to present important information to an audience. Management was present in the form of auditors and graduate advisors. My learning came directly from the management that was enjoyable to work with. Co-workers were fellow mathematics professors and graduate students, most of whom I were friends with. The hardest part of the job was relaying important useful information to students that felt no desire to learn the material. The most enjoyable part of the position was teaching students that truly appreciated learning mathematics. – less
Autonomous work environment
HVAC technician (Current Employee), Boone, NCMay 8, 2013
Great place to work some of the management in certain areas leaves a bit to be desired
Student Union Activity Coordinator
Student Union Activity Coordinator (Former Employee), Boone, NCApril 18, 2013
* Responsible for all information pertaining to activities and events going on in a 300 room Student Union

* I learned how to be flexible, work quickly, build inter-personal skills, and became an effective communicator

* The most enjoyable part of the job was working where several activities were being conducted at the same time. I learned how to – more... manage and delegate tasks efficiently, and learned to deliver multiple responsibilities and activities at once. – less
SLP clinic within a university
Clinical Educator Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Boone, NCFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: state benefit package
Cons: n/a
Speechand language services provided to clients from preschool to adults in a variety of settings
Appalachian State University
Cook II (Current Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 24, 2013
Appalachian State University is a good place to work with good benefits.
awesome
Assistant Wrestling Coach (Former Employee), Boone, NCJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: amazing place to live and work..
Loved working there, wish could get back there....management had great values, and i learned a lot