Appen Butler Hill

Appen Butler Hill Employer Reviews

Warning! Avoid this company, they may short change your agreed wages
Other (Former Employee), OtherAugust 11, 2014
Pros: work at home
Cons: paying you less the agreed amount
I worked on one project with them and they paid me half of what was agreed. I emailed them twice including the guy I was in correspondence with and no response at all. I am very disappointed and considering further action.
Very Bad experience
Translator (Former Employee), HomeAugust 8, 2014
Cons: all
I'm an Italian speaker and I have completed all the major "Exams" on the Appen site in order to make me eligible for most of the jobs. Truth is I couldn't make decent earnings out of this: too few jobs to do and the pay is also very bad. And you have to go through the learning process. Not worth it.
Oniline Work
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee), OnlineApril 22, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: long training period, contract work
Very great work from home company. Paid well for the easy work that you do. Some times all your hours don't get recorded because their system messes up and you have to do more hours just to meet the 4 hour a day requirement. Still a great job though.
A Crowdsourcing Consultant
crowdsourcing (Current Employee), work from homeMarch 21, 2014
Pros: fun job, work from home
I love Appen's crowdsourcing job. Some of the tests and tasks are sometimes are hard to understand, but everything in life isn't supposed to be easy.
Life and work was easy we all would be bored to death.
Big Waste of Time
web search evaluator (Former Employee), EdmontonFebruary 15, 2014
First you have a 50 pages guidelines to learn plus around 10 modules and 4 lessons to learn.

You have to install everything by yoursef they told me the qualifications would take me 30 hours and I would be pay 300. In fact it takes 2 weeks full times and more so around 70 h-80 h.

The toolbar never wok and their help desk is not good at all.

The auditor – more... don't follow their guidelines in my last test I had to appeal 3 times because this was in total contracdiction with what they thaught us......And I was 110 % sure I even had a similar example that I copy and paste...I failed

I am wondering if they just use us, in the qualification. Moreover they told you this is not subjetive but it is totally subjective.

There is 2 ways of rating.:rating the LP or rating the intent.... how do you know how to rate ? you don't

The management doesn't answer your questions.....

Waist of my precious time – less
Good for students/people staying at home...
Consultant (Former Employee), Bothell, WAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: constant technical problems.
Great flexibility on working hours on a daily basis as you choose your own hours and don't have to work for 4 hours straight. Bad thing is constant problems with the online tool you have to use to work which prevents you from making your 20 hours per week. Sometimes you can even spend weeks without being able to work due to technical related problems.
Great flexibility, specialized work
Contractor (Current Employee), CaliforniaDecember 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work environment, paid on time, nice staff
Cons: strict rules (more to do with client's requirements)
I've worked with this company for almost a year and so far I've had a really good time. The people are very nice and helpful when I ask questions, although I know communication can be delayed sometimes. I chalk it up to the many different time zones. If you speak up with questions you'll definitely get good results.

The flexibility was very new to – more... me and has turned out to be a really great perk. At my old job it was nearly impossible to schedule appointments or handle whatever family problem came up that day. It's great not to have to worry about that so much anymore. – less
Nearly Impossible to pass Qualification Tests!
Crowdsourcing (Former Employee), HomeNovember 2, 2013
Cons: extremely subjective qualification tests & guidelines, don't do it!
I never got very far with ABH due to their impossible qualification tests and guidelines. After I read some of the other reviews of this consulting firm, I felt MUCH better knowing that it was not only me feeling that this company was extremely subjective in its evaluation of website queries and the "intent" of the user query vs. the LP that appeared.

I – more... also learn quickly and am normally quite tech savvy. I am not a "web surfer," but I felt I could intelligently figure out, from a query, what the user's intent for the query would be. I have NEVER in my life been so frustrated by the subjective results thrown back by the ABH test / guidelines from one day to the next! One day the test results followed the guidelines perfectly, but the next day, the test threw them out of the window and I couldn't pass any of the test pages!

Long story short, I decided not to pursue the crowd-sourcing opportunity because I would just be giving ABH an opportunity to axe me when they feel like it, based on their subjective guidelines, and not on anything REAL. – less
No support, unrealistic
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee), Canada, ENOctober 29, 2013
Cons: loss of time, unrealistic, no support
Well I went through all of the training, one full week of training, doing test pages etc., scored stellar on the practice pages and took the final test twice.

The first time around, I did sub-par and can admit to this. I also kept track of all of my answers and how far off on each I was. After the first test I got in contact with the qualification – more... team who did not respond (although they pride themselves on the support that they offer) I participated in the group chat to ask questions about the items that I didn't agree on and was give a sales answer (i.e. dance around the question and no direct answer). I sent 3 different emails, all 3 have not been responded to. In addition to this, the email addresses from the "qualification" team changed....this I found very odd and that it demonstrated inconsistencies. I feel on my part that I tried to reach out and get the guidance to succeed without any assistance.

The second time around, I had 8 out of 50 questions incorrect. They were offby 1 grade on each and I was told I still did not qualify. Again I sent this to the team with the details and I received a generic email that they would respond in 24 hours. I am really disappointed in this process, the first test I know what answers I gave and how offby they were and I scored better the first time around in the same sections than the second with less wrong and closer in spectrum of offby....so they have received over 100 "free" ratings under the guise of training.

I am in the process of reporting the CA-EN section to the fraud department to see if there is something that they can do to at least ban it from Canada....I see job postings for it and I really hope that people will read these reviews and understand that like previous reviews only 2-5% of people are allowed to participate and this is so they can have the very few positive reviews and keep themselves looking legitimate. If I had scored poorly I would admit to this aspect and have no issues, I can accept that, but this practice was all a bit to shady and my family said the same thing while I was doing the process. – less
No problem after 3 years of collaboration
Independent Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Granada, ANAugust 14, 2013
Pros: a professional team. you're work is appreciated.
This present november, I will have been collaborating with ABH for three years. I started as a consultant for the ES-ES market and I received promotions. I am currently a Senior Auditor for 7 markets and I feel that my work is appreciated every day. These guys are great professionals so they require a profesional service with a good quality.

I don't – more... understand where the bad comments come from but I think they could maybe come from pulled apart collaborators and/or competence companies.

They are serious and only reasonable petitions are received.

Payments are always on time and if you have any problem there are many PMs, auditors, technical supporters, etc. who are always glad and help you in a possitive and kind manner.

I have been a freelance since 1998 and I have never been so happy collaborating with a company. – less
Amazing Company, changed my life
Team Manager (Current Employee), Seattle WAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: work from home
Cons: work/life balance takes more effort to maintain
I have worked here for about 6 months and it's been the best job I've ever had. They do an amazing job of utilizing the strengths of each person. I do end up working more hours than I have at all my previous jobs, mostly due to the nature of a work from home situation, but I love the work I do, the people I work with and the company so it actually feels – more... like less work.
I was afraid this was not going to be a real job, but it is absolutely the real deal. I think there is a misconception about work from home situations and it may take time to change that culture, but this company has my full respect. The work demands a dedicated, self motivated person who is ready to rise to the challenges of the job. It does take some skill and knowledge like any other quality job in the market. Don't mistake 'work from home' as 'easy' or 'not to be taken as serious as any on location job'. – less
Great Work-Life Balance
Program Manager (Current Employee), SeattleJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great work life balance
Cons: not a lot of face-face social inteaction
I have worked for this company for about 6 months and it has been one of the best jobs I have ever had. Working from home is not for everyone but it defiantly has its advantages. My co-workers are knowledgeable, fun and easy to get along with. My managers have always been helpful and approachable. I like that you need to use your brain for this job – more... and it isn't mind numbing clicking all day long. The hardest part is prioritizing and organizing my time to get everything done efficiently. – less
I love everything.
Team Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great people, great pay, great hours.
Cons: i couldn't find any. if you want to work from home, this is the place to do it.
You will not find a better place to work, from compensation to core values, work/life balance, and room for advancement. This company has changed my life and enabled me to grow professionally and personally through an authentic work-from-home experience where I work entirely in a digital world. It is the next wave of employment and this company is doing – more... it before anyone else! – less
What else to add?
Software Developer (Former Employee), RemoteJuly 15, 2013
Pros: working from home
Cons: qualification tests are next to impossible
Like many have stated here, Do not waste your time with these people! I have an engineering degree and have pass many Microsoft Certified Professional exams, yet Appen Butler hills qualification tests are way harder than those.
If they are really looking for people to evaluate a search engine, they are merely looking for the most conformists, as if – more... you just miss a couple of questions (say, you rate a landing page as Excellent and they have already evaluated it as Good, or the reverse) you won't pass! All your study hours (at least 30) amount to nothing!
What is the point of doing surveys with conformists whom all agree with each other?
They're must be an ulterior motive. Like another reviewer say, they must benefits from your answer somehow, and find any reasons to say you failed not to pay you anything. – less
Standard for performance evaluations very subjective
Web search evaluator (Former Employee), WorldwideJune 26, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours and no need to commute
Cons: very subjective standard
Their standard for web site evaluations is very subjective, and it frequently changes.

Even if you evaluate according to the guidelines, you often disagree with the auditors. If disagreements occur more often, they suspend your production status. Eventually they ax you.

Find a job in a stable company or get more businesses from excellent clients as – more... a freelance linguist. – less
Don't waste your time!
prospective web search evaluator (Former Employee), work at homeApril 26, 2013
Pros: work at home.
Cons: inconsistent, subjective, unrealistic, confusing training material.
I have always been a quick learner. I'm college educated, a great critical and analytical thinker, I'm up-to-date on pop culture and everything else that might make me an ideal candidate for this position. I read all the poor reviews and just thought everyone was being overly negative and critical. I've always been the exception to the rule when it – more... comes to my ability to learn, study and test well. Right?! Nope. (I only say this because you know you're thinking the same thing.) After studying their qualification material extensively, I could NOT pass their test! I found it incredibly inconsistent and subjective. They would give examples in the training material that were nearly identical to ones in the test but the two would not have the same results! It was extremely frustrating. Their "offby" scores are difficult to meet. I scored near perfect on my overall score but poorly in one category, causing me to fail. Also, their training materials are outdated and confusing. They send you to about five different sites and forums for material. I can't fathom how the average person manages this. Lastly, I'm convinced they utilize the results during the qualification process to actually benefit their company. Why wouldn't a real web user, like myself (someone not trained according to their standards), provide just as valuable feedback on search results? What better way to accomplish this than to have knowledgeable "prospective employees" conduct the testing without ever having to be paid? In the email stating I failed, were the names of nearly 50 other people! I would be interested to see how many people actually passed. My advice is to put your efforts elsewhere. – less

July 6, 2013

CAN YOU ELABORATE HOW THE COMPANY BENEFITTED FROM THE RESULTS OF THE QUALIFICATION PROCESS? DID THE RESULTS PROVIDED MATERIALS FOR THE COMPANY TO SELL OR USE OR TRANSFER THESE MATERIALS TO OTHER PURPOSES OTHER THAN THE STATED PURPOSE FOR TESTING RESULTS ONLY? I AM ALSO ONCE A COMPLAINANT OF A WRITING SCAM BUT I WAS ABLE TO WIN MY CASE BECAUSE I GOT THEM PAID FOR EVERY WORK I SUBMITTED, IN YOUR CASE, IT SEEMED THAT IN THE TEST PROCESS, THERE WAS ALREADY INTENTION TO "BENEFIT THE COMPANY FROM THE RESULTS OF THE QUALIFICATION PROCESS" AND TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE APPLICANT'S SKILLS. IN FACT, I DID NOT APPLY FROM THIS COMPANY BUT STILL I GOT EMAIL FOR ME TO APPLY.

Not flexible at all
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee), Work from homeJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: flexible, because you work from home
Cons: lack of flexibility - rules are a bit weird
Hi, I have a university degree, a master in marketing and an MBA and to be honest, I find that the level of accuracy to pass the qualification test is next to impossible. Or maybe it is just that I'm not qualified to read their mind... The fee per hour is also not "that" good and the audit conditions are simply stressful: they monitor your performance – more... all the time, this is not an issue, but since the evaluation rules and ratings are not a "rule of thumb", there are many times you disagree with the official answer, and even worst, if the official answer is wrong (there is an explanation and you can clearly see if the page being rated has changed or not), you can still appeal but I have never received any feedback and those wrong answers that were not really wrong, were counted as wrong. .
Besides, the time it takes to complete the self study program is FAR more than what they mention. On a second thought, maybe I just felt so frustrated after spending so many hours going through the self study and practice material that I was just upset when I got to the test.
Sooo, expect to spend 1 full time week to study (and by full I mean 9 hours a day, not 8). And also expect a very stressful working environment, even working from home! And last but not least, they say they pay you per hour, but is per hour being 100% concentrated, So practically, expect to be paid for 4 hours but expect to work 5 (people need to go have a break, drink water, go to the bathroom... etc.) If you don't mind these issues, then this job is for you. – less

April 5, 2013

The test is difficult and i guess only 2% pass it. There is no rule, the correct answer is what they think is correct. Before jumping into this bandwagon - THINK AGAIN. It might just be a total waste of time of going through their vast study material and failing tests is not good for your self confidence and frustating. Even if you are hired and given a project, doesnt mean you will be the only one judging the websites, there will be other judges (mostly senior)judging it as well . And if your answer does not match theirs, you are in trouble and be kicked out after a couple of warnings. Be happy of the present job you are doing. This job is for weirdos and the pay is not good to add the the insult. Amen.

online reviewer
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 20, 2012
Pros: stay at home
Cons: good luck getting assistance
I liked it from a stay at home standpoint. You have to move really fast and my contract was terminated because my quality dropped after 4 months but I felt like the standards were just raised to an impossible level.
Great people to work with!
Program Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 18, 2012
Pros: work from home
Cons: limited room for growth
Great company and culture. They listen to your ideas and are very flexible. Often times, it was hard to balance work/life.
A joke
WAH person (Former Employee), WAH personSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: amusing environment
Cons: not a way to accumulate funds
Their tests are easy, you will pass. But you will not make any money, if you have anything else going on stick with it, do not think that spending 3-4 hours on Appen will help your financial situation. If you are looking for a laugh and do not need money give it a go, it would be better of you to donate your time to a charity, imo. Their software is – more... probably the most amusing aspect of interacting with Appen. Their recruitment process is also incredibly amusing. I was laughing so hard when I saw the LinkedIn profile in my recruiters email I almost fell out of my chair. It is unlikely that LinkedIn is going to help them advance, or that LinkedIn is a valuable aspect for a mass email person. So bottom line if you are bored and looking for amusement and do not care to help out humanity through a charitable cause, give it a go! It was not a bad time, thanks for the humor. I expected it to be somewhat humorous but not a laughing hilariously till my face turns red experience. I gave it a go for under an hour, and just could not handle the laughing anymore. My ribs were actually hurting! I feel really bad that Americans that really need the money are stuck doing slave jobs like Appen and other companies not paying minimum wage, Good luck! – less