Appen Employee Reviews in United States

Social Media Evaluator
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fl.July 18, 2016
Great 2nd income; easy work that can be done on your own time. Management responds quickly to questions you may have and they also provide advice if you need help.You have a required time to finish all work each day which can be challenging at times, but other than that this job is really easy. The best part is you can work at home at your convenience.
Pros
Flexibility in work schedule
Cons
Can be let go at anytime with no warning.
Flexible decent pay work at home job but no guarantee
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAJuly 4, 2016
I worked for Appen evaluating social media ads for 6 months out of no where I was terminated for "service quality". Never received any negative feedback all my feed back was positive and I always received "complete" comments. Therefore it was quite disturbing to receive an email of termination, because I followed all policy and work all required days (and more), submitted work on time and corrected all errors that I was made aware of. I think the way I was terminated was very unprofessional of the company, because some form of warning or opportunity to correct errors should have been given.

The work was repetitive and boring, but for 13.75 an hour a day it was worth trying to hold on to until I finished graduate school and found employment.
Pros
Pay and Flexiabilty
Cons
Work is boring and redundant, no guarantee of employment and getting paid once a month is the worse
Getting paid is like getting your teeth pulled
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  HomeJuly 2, 2016
I enjoyed the flexibility of the job. But it was a bit tedious. And the rules were a bit much seeing I was supposed to be an independent contractor. Anyways, receiving my first paycheck was a disaster. It was 2 weeks late b/c it was mailed...to the wrong address. Even though I had updated my address in the system. It turns out there are several Appen companies floating out here. And once I was on the mainland one, all the foreign entities started asking me to do freelance work, which was cool. But their jobs are low-paying...and I don't do PayPal, so I didnt get paid for my freelance work. So now its my second paycheck and its SUPPOSED to be direct deposit. But 4 days later...no check in account. Bank see no pending deposits. You can't get ANYONE on the phone at Appen. The checks are cut in CT, but the 203 number is disconnected. To say they make you jump through so many hoops to become certified as a Social Media Specialist (no pay during certification btw), they sure run from you when there are issues with pay. I've left phone messages. There are good to respond to email messages....but with the time difference, I don't get a response til the next business day. I like the money, but I don't think I want to do anymore jobs for Appen again. It takes too much to get paid!
I got canned for no reason
consultant (Former Employee) –  Work from homeJune 14, 2016
I worked for this company for two months, and I was getting my work done everyday and on time. I never missed a day, and I only had to be re-qualified once. I stayed within the timeframes and with no warning they said they got enough data from me and cancelled my contract. I'd say don't count on this place, they fire you with no warning and for no reason.
Pros
Somewhat flexible
Cons
Don't count on this job, absolutely no security.
Worth it
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeMay 9, 2016
I'm a single mom who lost my job and was frantically searching for another one. This wasn't exactly ideal seeing as how temporary it is and I never expected it to last more than 12 weeks. I'm in my fifth month of working on this project and it has been a godsend. The work is undoubtedly boring and repetitive. There was a point within the first month where I really wanted to quit. But once I got the hang of things and pushed through, I was really glad I did. Because I have to finish the majority of my work by 9 p.m. (CDT), it is a bit of a challenge to work while my child is awake. But it has been manageable. If you are desperately in need of income and follow all the guidelines, this can work very well. Also, you need to be able to set aside about 4-6 hours five days a week. You are paid for approximately 3.5 hours a day but that factors in breaks and distractions. The nice thing is that you can stop and restart throughout the day. I took off for a week-long vacation and had no problems. As I mentioned, it's incredibly boring especially at first but well worth the pay rate. The technical glitches have greatly improved since they made adjustments within the past couple of months.
Pros
Great pay rate, flexibility, consistent amount of work
Cons
Can be fired at any point, repetition
social media evaluator
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAMay 5, 2016
This is a nice job but you have to know how to follow along because you are an independent contractor. This is a job for you to make that extra cash until you get on your feet.
Pros
decent pay, easy work
Cons
3 hour wait period, all communication done through email
Online Consulting
Social Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  onlineApril 21, 2016
This jobs is an online job, where Appen is partnered with Facebook, and my job is to evaluate social media post, gather data, implement that data, and provide feedback.
Pros
Very Flexible hours
Cons
Short work weeks
Easy at home Job
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 18, 2016
Working as a contractor for Appen is relatively stress free as you work from home for a couple hours a day. The tasks are tedious and monotonous, but for 13.75 and hour, there are worse jobs out there. I reviewed Facebook news feed posts for a couple hrs a day at most but you get paid for 4 hours. Projects don't last long though and you can get randomly terminated.
Great home job
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2016
I found Appen a little while ago.

It offer to work on some project as a freelancer.

People are managing their time and get paid according to their work.

Great additional money for home staying parents or students
Its an OK gig if you like repetitious work Online work from home.
Online evaluation (Former Employee) –  onlineMarch 10, 2016
The on board process wasn't so bad, a few test, reading, signing docs, confirming and so on. The the training, you don't get paid for but still that wasn't toooo bad.
Nice hourly income 13.75 but...you get paid once a month, I don't care what anybody says, that feels like your working for free.

I learned, I hate repetitious work so much that I jumped ship.
I want to put a noose around my neck and hang it, just a figure or speech but you get the picture.

I can't say exactly what I did because you will sign NDA(s) Non disclosure agreements, basically, if you run your mouth (about the assignment) you run the risk of legal action.

I felt like they will throw you in the water, either your going to swim or sink...I floated and left.

Overall, they aren't horrible to work for you just have to know what you want. If you like doing the same thing over and over again, then you have hit the jackpot. With my ADD, I thought I was losing my mind. I think I fell asleep on my keyboard twice!
Pros
Nice pay, Managers aren't horrible bosses, nice work from home gig, if that's what you like to do.
Cons
Being paid once a month, sink or swim policy, boring work
Loved the staff and employees, very friendly place to work.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 9, 2016
Like that I can make my own schedule as long as its in the daytime, like that I have the option to work weekends, and on all my audits I have received 100% and states that I excel at the tasks.
Pros
Vacation as needed, very fast response to technical issues.
Excellent Part-Time Job
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA (telecommute from home in NH)February 21, 2016
Appen is a great company to work for - they're in the Forbes "Top 100 Companies Offering Flexible Jobs." The hours and pay are very competitive, and the work itself is interesting. By far, the best remote job I've ever had.
general consulting
Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Is a interesting company to work for. Pay is fair. I worked from home with them and never had a problem getting paid. Over-all a good place.
Do Not Work For This Company
social media (Former Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 2, 2015
There are way too many technical difficulties for this to be a profitable job. You spend more time going back and forth via email and you don't get paid for that. They also won't pay you for the time you worked unless you "complete a full day". This is an hourly position, and I've never worked with a company who doesn't pay what you worked hourly. You don't even get paid that much compared to how much you are expected to work. They are completely unprofessional. Find another company to work for.
Legit work from home job, with really nice pay, and extreme flexibility.
Social media evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2015
Don't be misled by the negative nancies. The tests are not that hard. Passed the social media evaluator qualifiction test on the first try with over a 90. The problem is you have to actually study the material for a few hours, during the "training" period. If you actually study the material, and take the practice tests with real intent to learn from them, then the actual qualificiation test is easy. I am an independent game designer in my spare time, and this job is absolutely perfect for me. You can work in any amounts of time you like, just make sure to get in your 20-25 hours a week. I often work for 30 minutes to an hour, then take a break and do something else for a few minutes. Name any other job where you can take breaks whenever you want, or stop what your doing and come back eight hours later to finish. Make your own schedule. The pay is legit. Every hour you work you get paid good money for, and the people claiming they were only making $2 an hour are doing something terribly wrong. Entry level can expect around $14 an hour doing the social media work. It is also easy to get a question answered when needed. There are several different means to ask a question, including a forum that all the employees on your project use and quickly answer any question you may have.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great pay, work from home.
Cons
Must be self motivated.
Fun, engaging virtual data collection and evaluation position with its pros and cons
Crowd Sourcing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Casselberry, FLOctober 2, 2015
Fun and engaging virtual contract position where you can work as many or as few hours as you choose and base your hours around your schedule. You make your schedule and determine how much work you get done in a day and in a week.
Somewhat about the numbers, but also about learning crowd sourcing and judging guidelines for web searches.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the online portal and tool and rating, classifying, evaluating and judging search engine results for their relevance to actual users' search queries - these can be from any location that has internet access.
Least enjoyable part of the job is that there was virtually no communication between contractors (myself) and the system's support specialists and upper management - it sometimes took over a month for me to get one or two questions answered. This is something that the company must work on, in my opinion, if it wants to keep its contractors.
Virtual, online, home-based contract job that can be extended or terminated at the contractor's will and based on metrics. Community Crowd where judges can interact, ask questions and share judging information.
Pros
Work from home, no minimum or maximum number of hours, pay CAN be decent if you put in the work
Cons
Pay is low, next to no communication between upper levels and contractors, monthly pay
Work at home
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJuly 14, 2015
This position was a contract position which means, no benefits. However the pay is pretty good, but the job can get repetitive and boring.
Pros
work at home
Cons
Only email contact
Work from home, flexible hours.
Crowd Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FlJuly 13, 2015
I learned how to rate and manage websites for up and coming companies, then to solicit feedback from random site users, and rate their experience.
Don't Waste Your Time
Crowd Source Task Worker (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteMay 4, 2015
Trying to work for this company was a waste of my time. They start you out on minor projects that pay less than $2 an hour. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to read and comprehend the instructions for tasks that pay 2 to 5 cents each. The instructions for these tasks are very detailed, but the responses they look for are highly arbitrary.

They want you to rate search engine listings, but they penalize you if you opinion doesn't agree with theirs. If they have already decided what a ranking is classified as, what work was I completing? I tried to find tasks that I could complete fast enough to make a decent wage.

If the system sees that you're completing tasks too fast, it will lock you out. They force you to work at the $2 per hour rate. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'd like to see them survive on such a low amount of compensation.

My goal was to work my way up to their higher paying jobs. The drawback to this is that they lock you into committing to work a certain amount of hours for these positions. You are not an employee, but you have to work specific shifts...

When I finally jumped through all the hoops it takes to set up a way for me to retrieve the paltry $4 I earned, they locked me out of the system. They didn't bother to communicate with me in any way.

This company is an online sweat shop. I'm so glad I didn't take their social media evaluator job! I'm sure they would've found a way to reduce my pay to slave wages. I wouldn't even let my teenage son work here.
Pros
Cons
No money, no communication.
Good job once you learn it
Web Search Evaluator (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  from homeApril 23, 2015
Doing Web Search Evaluation with Appen is a real job (that doesn't preclude the possible of someone posing as them, but I applied through their website and got legitimate work).

I worked as a Web Search Evaluator for ten months. The pay is good but that's the only compensation- it's an independent contractor position which is 1099-Misc, thus you're paying your own taxes, no health or other benefits, etc.

The way I did it was applying for it while already working at my main job- then I waited until I got the job and did it for a week or two before making the decision if it was something I thought I could continue and then I put in my notice at my main job. It's a risky move- in that you're required to maintain a quality standard and if you drop below that you can be removed and required to retest and potentially/eventually lose your contract for consistently poor performance. Also being independent contractor position they can terminate your contract for reasons pertaining to their end, so it's the sort of job where you'd want some money saved up prior or to know that you might end up looking for a job again if terminated. HOWEVER, one consolation is that there are other companies out there with similar positions- such as Lionbridge and Leapforce, so you could always try with them if things didn't work out.

Working from home is nice. You work four hours a day whenever you want, doesn't have to be all at once- it's up to you to get four hours of work in total throughout the day. The most annoying part about this job would be getting everything set up on your computer-
  more... you use Internet Explorer and if you have add-ons that disrupt the loading of pages you have to figure out how to configure all that stuff so it runs smoothly. They provide instruction on that but it's still a learning curve and so know that patience is beneficial. Also, the learning curve of the job requires patience. You're rating web search results based on guidelines, thus what you're doing is applying an external standard and you might find it frustrating if you think a rating should've gone one way but didn't- if you're attentive and adaptable you should be able to pick up on rating things the way they're looking for and thus maintain a quality standard.

I never spoke with anyone- which I actually liked. Just follow their instructions, be able to teach yourself using their guidelines and practicing, and then do your job. The upfront paperwork and learning curve is the most difficult part just because you're investing in something without a guarantee- but if you can learn the job then once you know it it's smooth and easy and you just work your hours at your discretion.

Management for the project I was on were nice- communicating via e-mail.

The job can be a little monotonous but it's also interesting to get exposure to various web-content which is good if you have some interest in anything web-related. You do have to be aware that adult content could occur in results- this is pretty rare and in my project I was able to skip those if I chose, and it's usually obvious when the results will be adult theme.

Pay is once a month.
Pros
Flexible schedule, independence, work from home, decent pay, don't have to communicate verbally with anyone, learn something new
Cons
Not as secure as an employment job, somewhat steep learning/starting curve, somewhat monotonous

2.7