Applebee's
2,116 reviews

Applebee's Employee Reviews

Good co-workers, productive workplace.
Host/Busser, Food Preperation, Dishwasher (Former Employee), Erie, PAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Cross-training, co-workers, basic skills
Cons: Never a set schedule
There was no typical work day here. The closest that it came to being typical was our everyday duties depending on if you worked more than one different job there as I did. Working as a dishwasher was typical, clean dishes during the day and make sure that every station in the kitchen has the dishes that they need. As a host, it was only slightly typical, only because the duties were always the same, but the branch I worked for was either very busy or very empty. Duties as a host consisted of seating customers, and just general customer service, making sure that servers get an even amount of customers a piece, and cleaning tables once customers had left. As a food prep, all you did was make sure that the cooks are working in synchronization and getting food cooked on time with the orders as they came in. Also, food preps made sure that before food left the kitchen that it was correct and was made properly, and garnished appropriately.

I learned all about customer service by helping customers on a regular basis. Time management was a big skill that I acquired from working for this company, because if food is taking too long to cook and prepare, the whole restaurant will be slowed down, and this results in poor customer service. I learned a good deal on how to lead co-workers. My managers always had the last say, but as a food prep, you are forced to lead the kitchen, because you see how the whole restaurant is working at that point in time. You see the full order for every table and how long it had been since the order had been put in, and from that information you – more... could remind the cooks what you needed to complete orders, and ask for things that had not even been started yet.

The management for this company was great. Just like any company, you have ups and downs, but overall I had more ups with the management staff than anything. The staff were professional, but were caring at the same time. They would bend over backwards to help their employees, as well as, making sure that all employees were properly trained to the standards of their job descriptions. Also, they were always more than happy to cross-train employees to do a multitude of different jobs.

My co-workers at this company were, also, very great. Everyone was happy and willing to help each other out no matter what that meant. Everyone was always worried about each other and checked in quite often to make sure that everyone was taken care of and that no one was falling behind in their work duties.

The hardest part of this job was just the random hours, they weren't very long hours but they were very random, and given the time that I held this job, it was just a difficult schedule to work around.

The best part of this job was being able to improve myself as much as I was able to with cross-training for other jobs, and my managers always had something new to show me, because every day was different than the last day. – less
An exciting way to earn fast cash
Server (Current Employee), Clarion, PAJune 30, 2015
Pros: discounted food
Cons: unpredictable pay and work schedule
Throughout a day I work with management and other staff members to ensure that every guest has a positive dining experience. I handle cash and card payments, work one on one with guest handling their food, beverage, and any feedback they have for not only myself but the restaurant in general. Management is okay, they could improve in efficiency, their general level of approachability, some could work on their knowledge of the position. Working in such a fast paced environment definitely has its challenges, the hardest part is having unpredictable pay as a server and not having a set weekend. For the most part everyone does descent however not every day is a good one for money. I do however enjoy the upbeat, fun, and exciting people that I have the privilege of working with. Most places are not as free flowing or laid back as most restaurants are when it comes to the work place. We have a blast working with one another and we create a sense of family because we see each other so often.
A Friendly and Inviting Work Ennvironment
Hostess/Trainer (Current Employee), Bedford, OHJune 29, 2015
Pros: Awarded more hours based on performance
Cons: Short Hours
I have been with this company for six and half years. I have build a strong relationship with all of my managers. I enjoy working here.
Great experience but not a career
Cook (Current Employee), Hinesville, GAJune 29, 2015
Pros: free meals, great work environment
Cons: short breaks, no smoking
I enjoy my co-workers and being a cook for this company. I am just looking for something more permanent, stable and a career in which I can advance in to continue taking care of my family. Some weeks I work 40+ hours when they need but then the next I may only work 20 and it's difficult trying to make a living not knowing what tomorrow brings. The schedule tends to change a lot and lack of communication sometimes makes it frustrating when going in I find out they took me off the schedule or they put me on and never told me to come in on my off day. But other than the schedule not being guaranteed hours each week, this is a great company to work for.
A remotely desirable atmosphere to be in. With music for entertainment.
Bartender/Waiter/Host/Carside (Current Employee), Swedesboro, NJJune 29, 2015
There was never a typical day at work. There was always something going on. I do appreciate that they allowed me and gave me the training to bartend. The management was a little rough around the edges at times, but overall, fair. My fellow co-workers were what made it there enjoyable the most. One thing about my family there, we were a team. When we needed someone there to pick one up, we took action. As for the hardest part of the job, I have been in the restaurant business my whole work life, so, it comes pretty simple.
nice work environment, friendly
HOSTESS (Former Employee), North Huntingdon, PennsylvaniaJune 29, 2015
Pros: half off meals
Cons: sometimes did not get breaks
As a host, I stood at the front counter and greeted guests. Being the first person each person sees, appearance is important. I would welcome guests with a warm smile and an enthusiastic personality. I would take each guest to their seats and inform them of whom their server was going to be and the manager on duty. I acquired better soft skills. I also learned to deal with the public under all circumstances. The managers treated everyone equally and did their jobs as they should. They would also help out and act as a regular employee instead of pointing a finger and bossing people around. My co-workers were great! They made the job fun and made you want to be there more. We always worked well together. The most enjoyable part of the job was to make people happy and enjoy their time there. As they leave, I held the door open, smiled and told them to have a wonderful day and to stop back soon.
Fast,friendly service
server (Former Employee), Stockbridge,GAJune 29, 2015
Fun and fast paced with access to make great money, but it is not conducive environment when one has children. In order to be successful, you need to be able to multi-task, think quicell, and provide excellent customer service in order to build regular clientele.
An old soul
Sales (Current Employee), Port Charlotte, FLJune 29, 2015
Opening restaurant and carrying on daily duties, customer services were obtained here. My co-workers are like family. hardest part is having the opportunity for promotion and enjoyable is guests.
Applebee's
Server (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GAJune 29, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: no breaks
Everyday at work was different, but I didn't get to leave until around 2 a.m. in the morning. I learned how to sell products, communication, learning how to use the computer and learning how to carry the drinks/food. Management was good but the communication among that management was not on the same page. They need to start telling each other the same thing. Co-workers were great people to talk to. They were friendly and nice. The hardest part is having multiple tables when you are new.The most enjoyable is meeting new people and making so many new friends.
Fun to work place..
Hostess (Former Employee), East BrunswickJune 28, 2015
Pros: fun and active job, discounts
Cons: lazy co- workers (my experience)
Just like any other restaurant, it was a fast paced job with great people doing everything they can to make customers leave happy, even on the heaviest nights. However, things start to get rough when the laziest co-workers get the benefits of doing nothing, getting breaks, and taking it easy while you don't get a break and have to sacrifice yourself in order to have things in order. Managers are blind to the hard work some people put into the job and it is truly unfair. No wonder you can't keep your staff from leaving.
Fun but tiring
Server (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: half priced food before or after your shift, fast money
Cons: no breaks, no lunch, small pay, a lot of job tasks beyond serving
Working at Applebee's is fast money because serving allows you the benefit of going home with money everyday. You have fun meeting people and being able to provide a fun experience. The hours, however, are long, and if you work full time they are often brutal. You don't get a lunch break and you aren't really allowed to eat while on the clock. I often had to work double shifts with no breaks and no food. The worst part about this company is that they require serves to pay for walked tabs. This is a huge down side.
High stress environment with positive employee relationships
Host/Carside Server (Current Employee), NebraskaJune 24, 2015
Applebee's is not for people that take things personally, dealing with customer service is always difficult, there are good and bad days. Developing good relationships with your co workers and managers isn't difficult if you're a hard worker, and it has advantages in and out of work. The stress can be hard to deal with if you do take things personally, it will make the day miserable and you'll go home upset most days. It's an aggressive environment where you've definitely got to speak up, and be able to hold your temper. Again the relationships and friends you'll develop are definitely the highlight of my day everyday, makes me happy to go to work, and the friends I've made there are the ones I hang out with in my non-work life.
boring and no money making happens
Server/Cashier (Current Employee), californiaJune 24, 2015
slow and checks are very little for the amount of time and effort of work you put in. overall its just really not worth theres no money income whats so every and the management just sucks
Good place to work, but the hours are a little to much.
Kitchen manager/cook (Former Employee), Marshall, MNJune 23, 2015
I was working 60-70 hours a week and it was exhausting. I worked with great people but the hours are just to much. Especially when my wife and I have a 2 month old son. There where days where I wake up, go to work, and come back home and he is in bed and I didnt get to hold him one time in a day.
Productive environment
Host (Former Employee), Cleburne, TXJune 23, 2015
-interaction with guests on a daily basis, greeted and sat guest, helped servers clean tables, answered any questions guests had to the best of my ability

-very poor management and poor environment
I did not enjoy working at Applebee's.
Line supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INJune 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Management
I did not enjoy working at Applebee's. Although they have benefits, you have to work there a minimum of a year to even qualify. They do not give raises nor are you able for advancement. The kitchen is dirty and most of the cooks don't speak English.
Fun, easy going environment.
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 22, 2015
I was here for just under 3 years. It was a great experience, I was trained in 3 different positions, with an option to do a fourth. They give you plenty of opportunity for advancement, and make sure you are comfortable with the position you are in. The employees and management were all wonderful fun, loving people.
Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJune 22, 2015
served guest fast friendly and accurate and to know that I took very good care of them. to make them remember my name before they leave.
fast paced and fun environment that was a great stepping stone for future jobs.
Host (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJJune 22, 2015
A great part time job that included greeting patrons with a smile and enthusiasm and finding the best spot for them to sit and enjoy their experience.
N?A
Bartender / Server / Trainer (Current Employee), Manchester, NHJune 20, 2015
It is an ok place to work. I have been here for about a year and there really isn't any room to grow within the company. I am looking for more of a stable environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Applebee's

Come grow with us! Apply today to work with the largest casual-dining chain in the world!

Applebee's Salaries