Applebee's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,578 reviews matching the search
Aggressive corporate atmosphere
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMarch 26, 2016
I have always believed that the Applebee's concept was a serious force in the corporate restaurant industry. The are high tech and have good training.
This last experience I had with the concept was a disappointment. They misrepresented the earning potential from the beginning. Ultimately left the company because they were not able maintain management staffing and the profit share program they offer only provided the amount of income they represented in the busiest locations. I was the general Manager in a slower location and made very little profit share. I lost several managers in an eighteen month period because they payed low initial salaries with the promise of big monthly bonuses. In February of 2016 my location hit nearly every performance target and I still only received less than $300 in profit share. The higher volume locations in the area were awarded more than three times that amount. I did not feel that I was compensated fairly.
Pros
organized concept
Cons
compensation too low and health insurance had poor coverage
Hard Labor
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 13, 2016
Applebee's was an interesting place to work. The environment and culture of people that I dealt with on a regular basis were surprising at best. Each day was different. My co-workers were very competitive. Most of the management team we helpful. They did their job and went home like everyone else. There were some opportunities for advancement but I did not get to explore that option. I had to go out on medical leave for a shoulder injury.
Pros
I could pick my own schedule
Cons
Too much variation in pay, no benefits
Fun workplace, great for entry level or college students with no other obligations
Host (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNJanuary 25, 2016
Applebee's is a fairly laid-back restaurant with fun, friendly employees. Management is generally easy to get along with, coworkers are pretty nice, but somewhat competitive. Hardest park of the job is a saturday night during busy season when stress is high, there is a line out to the parking lot, and all the customers are needing SOMETHING. Easiest part is on a tuesday morning on the off season when you can relax and banter with coworkers, and your only responsibilities are cleaning the bathroom or folding kids menus. Perfect job for someone who doesn't have to pay their own bills just yet because it's a start into the real world, but the money isn't great, and the hours can be killer (12 hours in one day, two days in a row, or 2 hours a day for 6 days in a row) for either your body or your paycheck.
Pros
50% off meals, flexible schedule, cool coworkers
Cons
Limited hours, low pay, no benefits
Customer Service oriented atmospohere
Server (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 20, 2016
A typical day at work includes maintaining the appearance of the dining room front of house, guiding guests to their preferred area of seating, and making sure a guest's order is placed promptly and accurately. Applebee's greatly improved my multitasking skills and taught me the basics of using a Point-Of-Service system smoothly. It was very convenient to work with an electronic order taking system. Unfortunately, quantity of management staff was lacking, but the managers available were always able to help and were very flexible with scheduling. Job structure was very organized -- it was always clear who's responsible was to what task, and what coworkers were overseeing that the tasks were completed. What I found most enjoyable about the job was working one-on-one with customers. I loved making customer connections, engaging with them with an enthusiastic demeanor, while also giving guests the right amount of space to enjoy their meal and time at the store.
Pros
Free food available to share between coworkers, clearly organized side work distributed between employees, friendly managers
Cons
Pushing surveys, slim employee discounts, long hours, no compensation for covering breaks, unorganized breaking system
Had a regular client base due to good service and good food.
Server, Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAFebruary 2, 2016
An easy work environment with all friendly coworkers. Team orientated, making it easier to get any job done and enhance the customers experience overall. Never believed I would be a bartender but raised through the company very fast because of work ethic and personality.
Pros
50% meals
Cons
on feet for long hours. High turn over rate with employees because of five college area.
A great place to meet new people
Server, Host, Bartender, & Neighborhood Expert (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSDecember 30, 2015
I met a lot of great people working for Applebee's. There, I have developed life-long relationships with people that I will cherish forever. However, being an employee at Applebee's has not always been the most enjoyable experience. A typical day at work usually leaves me tired and unmotivated. The management seemed to not be passionate about their jobs, therefore setting a very bad tone for the work day. I have worked on teams with great, and not-so-great servers. Most people seemed to value the concept of team-work, while others only cared about their own personal welfare. The hardest part of being a server and bartender for Applebee's is relying on tips. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is providing a great dining experience to patrons and receiving compensation for it. Overall, I learned a great deal about customer service, team-work, and business ethics while working for Applebee's and I will take many skills that I have learned there and carry them with me for the rest of my life.
Favoritism
bartender (Former Employee) –  NJJanuary 3, 2016
What shall I say?
Unless you have a position in Management or are kissing someone's *** in management... you will not advance or get any type of benefits with this company. They will work you like a slave before giving you any type of appreciation. The pay is the bare minimum and nothing more. Your co-workers are great until you find out they are stealing your tips from you! Management will turn their back on you in a minute and you can forget about collecting unemployment! If you leave this company they will never give you a good reference.
Pros
Cons
the list is too long
Good company to get your foot in the door
Server, Hostess, Expo, Carside (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 7, 2016
Applebee's is a great company for those looking to get their foot in the door on the restaurant industry. The training could be better in the matter that management doesn't monitor what you learn, they just have a set amount of shifts you need to be trained and then place you on the floor. If you are experienced in this business, it is a great company to work for. However, as a server, there isn't much of an opportunity to qualify for any benefits.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
No benefits
fast paced and fun energey
Server/expo/host/bartender (Former Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAJanuary 28, 2016
Taking orders, making sure all guest needs were met. I learned how to be a bartender at this restaurant. Management was amazing and always made the work fun with selling things to win a prize at the end of each shift. Co-workers made it more exciting and funny. The hardest part in this job is controlling all tables even when the restaurant is busy. Most enjoyable part was having regulars sit with me.
Pros
short shift
benefits
One of the worse places I worked for
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INMarch 24, 2016
The managers really didn't care for their employees. The pay rate and the way the raises were given really didn't suit a livable working wage. After being there for 2 years, when I found out what my raise was going to be. I felt like I work way too hard for such little pay.
Excellent opportunities
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Andover, KSFebruary 2, 2016
Had a blast working here. The management team was strict but was a lot of fun to work with. The hours were there if you proved yourself to be a hard worker. They would work with you on scheduling. Pay was fair for hourly management. Great benefits as a salaried individual.
Pros
Benefits for salary employees. Everyone gets paid vacation, even hourly staff
Cons
No benefits for non salary staff.
High stress environment where area director criticizes problems with out advising on how to fix
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKOctober 8, 2015
I personally would not recommend this job to anyone. I have a area director that comes to visit once every two months, criticizes us and restaurant issues, tells us that we need to fix them but when asked how he doesn't give any suggestions. we then get in more trouble when we solve the issue just not the way that he wanted it fixed after him not letting us know how he wanted it fixed. he makes up excuses on why he will not issue raises to the management staff and will not allow us to issue raises to regular staff. there is no reward except guest satisfaction at this job and the guest satisfaction is the only reason I am still there presently.
Pros
guest satisfaction, respect and loyalty of subordinates
Cons
no constructive criticism, no ways to advance, no pay raises, no area to improve
Positive, Respectful environment
Host (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHMarch 20, 2016
A positive place to work that allows for flexibility when needed. The company and managers have treated me well and have provided positive feedback to aid in professional development.
Pros
Good place to gain work/life experience
Cons
Few Benefits
Great entry level management!
Bar and Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 2, 2016
Great people to work with. Huge disconnect between corporate and real life job duties. Everyone is stretched thin. Managers work late and close alone. Bonuses are a carrot on a stick. Salary paid at 55 hours a week, you will work 60.
Cons
11 hour shifts, late nights, hard to get time off.
Pays the bills
Experienced Cook (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMarch 31, 2016
It was a place that I started years ago but now it wasn't fun anymore and kinda took a toll on me. Management could do better
Pros
it's a job
Cons
benefits, appreciation
fun place to work
Neighborhood Expert (Former Employee) –  Covington, TNMarch 2, 2016
I love this job and the people here. The management team is awesome, they care about their employees and guest. I love they have benefits they offer. The schedules are very flexible.
Pros
flexible schedule, benefits
Cons
uniforms
Great Co Workers
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Swansea, ILFebruary 12, 2016
I thought the management was unprofessional. They would gossip and complain to employees about other employees or management. The hours were not guaranteed and the raises were almost non existent.
Casual work area. Good location and managers, fair atmosphere
Hostess (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 7, 2015
Everyday is usually the same as a hostess. Fairly routine. Management is fair and understandable but co-worker relations seem fair at first and friendly but after a while they might start to get critical. Just like in life form a clique with them and you'll fit in. Customers and everything else makes the job fun though.
Pros
Free food ever so often and free meal for trainers
Cons
no helthcare benefits unless management or full time cook
A good place to work for
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 4, 2016
The menu is always changing which draws in a new crowd every 2-3 months. Pay is good, benefits weren't bad. Hours got a little long sometimes by staying open until 1am every day even when not needed. Uppermanagement, depending who you worked under, was ok.
Fast past, professional team building focus
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCMarch 12, 2016
Long term employee. Fast pace, high energy environment. As Kitchen Manager , responsible for all aspects of kitchen operations and financial obligations. Rewarding accomplishments with growth potential. Benefits are good.

2.9