Appleton Learning Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work!!!
csr (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 6, 2016
The management is unorganized with everything!! The owner is young and doesn't have any business sense at all!! He makes decisions based on the opinion of other employees. The owner shows favoritism towards staff, and he favors the ones who will work their buts off without any lunch break for low pay. The corporate office is very unprofessional. The employees are intimidated by new employees and had sabotage many because of fear of being replaced. The management will replace you without giving you any notice. The management will train someone for your position, while you're working hard, and once they has trained that person, then they give you the boot. While working for the company, you're under the impression you're doing a good job, until one day they replace you, without any reason. If the manager dont like you they replace you. If the staff dont like you, they replace you. If you demand to take your lunch break, that is required, they replace you. If you from some where else, and your accent isn't like their accent, they replace you. They don't like to pay, when its time to get paid, dont look forward to getting paid on time or on the day, that is expected to be paid. The company could be great, if the owner if the company get to know his employees personally and not judge them by the opinions of others. Many good employees were fired, simply because the management or other staff didn't like them!!
Pros
Cons
They change employees like they change underwear.
Day Working for Appleton
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 21, 2016
My opinion of working for Appleton is that they are very fair to their employees. The pay is pretty good for the jobs done, and I have learned a lot. My coworkers and the students I work with have given me so much to learn from. I think the management cares for their many employees and tries to give equal opportunities to all staff. The hardest part of the job can be anything from not clicking with a student, to simple frustrations everyday, but the key is to be patient and keep working at it. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the students you work with excited to work with you everyday.
Pros
Paid weekly; great staff
Cons
Benefits offered are not the best; no chance for paid time off
Great Starting Point
Collaborative Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 18, 2016
This is a great company to work with when you are fresh out of college and want some experience in the school systems. If you are interested in furthering a career in Education, this is a good company to work for and get placed in your local school systems, to gain experience, and have an idea of the flow of working in public schools in various cities where they operate. A typical day begins with at regular school hours, you work with students and other faculty and staff members of the school. You follow the guidelines of the position that you are given. Most difficult part is the learning to work with special education students and meeting their needs, but it is also the most rewarding when you feel that you have assisted them in reaching goals and accomplishing tasks.
Great job
Para Educator Special Education (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 18, 2016
I have worked with this company for the past 3 years and it has been a great experience. I worked in a pre-kindergarten classroom where each child had different levels of needs. I worked with a great team of women who were very supportive.
Overall Great
Afterschool Care Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 24, 2016
I enjoy working for this company and would recommend it to others. I enjoy being able to work with students and helping them with their homework as well as working with the different after school steam projects.
Pros
steam projects
low wages, terrible treatment of employees
Educator/Special Needs Aide (Former Employee) –  Guntersville, ALJune 11, 2016
JUST SAY NO. low wages and zero support given. zero follow up or feedback at all. treat employees poorly. I would not recommend this for anyone interested in education
A good place to work
Paraprofessional SPED (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 1, 2016
They are on top of your needs or problem that you may have. The most thing I love it seeing the student learn and move on with goals.
N/a
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 5, 2016
Assisted a 1st grade student who possessed Autism with challenging work. I made sure the student stayed on task, exhibit self control and followed directions.
Great employment choice for entry level
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 10, 2016
Excellent work atmosphere.. great open bar company parties however the workload is unrealist and demanding with little pay. Turnover is very high.
Pros
Great company parties
Cons
pay
The children make me smile!
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 14, 2015
I love working with the children! Seeing the progression that some of them make makes the job very rewarding. I think there should be raises and opportunities to grow within the company.
Pros
Building relationships, learning more about children with disabilities
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare, lack of advancement opportunities
Wonderful place to work.
Paraprofessional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 18, 2015
Appleton is a great place to work but it doesn't give opportunities for upward employment. Benefits are not good and the cost of medical isn't great when you consider the money you pay into it.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
No opportunity for upward mobility.
Working with children
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consist of being in a classroom working one on one with a teacher and students. I make sure that the teacher has whatever support she may need as well as the children i also handle any behavior issues that may come up.
Nice paying job for the area!
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 10, 2014
This is a decent company to work for. It is growing rapidly and management seems to have their ducks in a row. As a paraprofessional you will experience many days off without pay, due to the frequent Holidays, 1/2 days, and school breaks (fall break, winter break, spring break, summer vacation, about 4 months total). So plan for that. Good company. I have not had any problems with getting paid. And the medical ins. is cheaper than at my last job. Apply and then go to the office because they may not answer the phone.
Pros
good pay, advancement opportunities.
Cons
too many school breaks (not appletons fault)
A good job.
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 12, 2015
If you wish to work with children and make a difference, this is a good foot in the door. However, lack of benefits make this job incredibly difficult. There is little to no training and management can be difficult to get a hold of.
Fun and Energetic
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 23, 2014
Attended scheduled practice or training sessions. You learn about different football positions and technic. The management is good and the other coaches are very helpful and encouraging.
The hardest part of this job is being out in the sun all night. The most enjoyable part is watching the grow together as a team.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
no benefits
Do not work for Appleton!!!
Former employee (I had enough of their bs) (Former Employee) –  Auburn, AlJanuary 10, 2015
This is a very unfair place to work. You will be the only school system employees not on salary. Poor benefits. Wanted us to do 10 hours of unpaid training. Lol they're a joke. They get around laws by classifying you as temps. No sick leave, no retirement, nothing. It's just another 7 1/2 hour a day job. Look forward to about $300 a week, but for all the responsibility and government regulations you have to follow it isn't worth it at all. Once again DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!!
Cons
everything, no joke. you'll be miserable!
Great place to gain exeperience and grow as a professional.
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 20, 2015
My position as a clerical assistant taught me how to multi-task and still be in the here and now when interacting with teachers, students, and staff. I was able to be that first contact with those who came into the school or via telephone, and that experience showed me the importance of being authentic and genuine with others. It is always challenging when you have deadlines to meet in a short span of time, but having a passion for people will always make it worthwhile.
Awful place to work!
Administrative Assistant, Tutor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 19, 2014
Management does not know how to effectively run a business. They routinely hire people with fancy titles and high pay rates and then promptly fire them when they disagree with management or management realizes that the company doesn't have the growth/cash flow to support so many fancy-titled employees. Owner is only out to make money; he doesn't actually care about helping students. Pay for tutors/teachers/coaches is laughable compared to the rates they charge students. They will work you to death and then discard you.
Pros
exposure to the huntsville education system and awesome students
Cons
everything else!
Awful Place to Work
Branch (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALApril 7, 2015
A company led by a CEO who changes the companies vision and direction as often as he changes socks. Very unprofessional. Other staff members ignorant and rude. Company literally rips kids and parents off. Horrible company, horrible staff.
A very Positive Environment
Para-Pro Teacher (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJuly 12, 2015
I see the attention the students show me and they are grateful for how I show them I care about their education.The students are talk discipline,respect and to be and learn all they can and care to learn.
Pros
Discounts at certain stores and field trips.
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appleton Learning. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6