Appleton Learning Employee Reviews

Great company that has led me to pursue a career in teaching.
Instructional Support Aide/ Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Pelham, ALMay 24, 2017
I love being able to work in schools and help children. I started at Appteton as a substitute but after 3 months was moved to a full time paraprofessional position. I have been with Appleton fro 2 years while working on my Master's Degree. Working through Appleton has helped me make connections that I know one day will help me get a Teaching job, and prepare me for life in a classroom. I recommend all future teachers to try to work with Appleton to get real life teaching experiences while in school.
Started Good. Ended on a bad note
Special Education/Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 16, 2017
Appleton is a good idea. If you're comfortable working with special needs children or need experience working on a social sciences degree I'd certainly recommend working for Appleton. You can work in a sub pool and have a flexible schedule and if the administration likes your work you can get picked up for a full time job. The pay is ok (above 10.00 an hour) but there is no work or pay when school is out, it's a temp service for special education.

I thought I'd built a good rapport with Appleton and was told when I'd resigned (with a letter and everything) that I could return to the sub pool when my circumstances changed. Unfortunately, this was not the case. For some reason I've been made ineligible for rehire and no one at Appleton will give me a straight explanation. I'm a highly qualified individual who feels at home in a special education classroom, working on my M.S in Behavioral Psychology, with experience working direct care in an adolescent mental health facility, yet for some reason they will not allow me to use my talents here in Selma, AL. Even though they need help, I've been given the run around and no reason other than that they changed their policy and you have to work 2 days every so often. It used to be a great form of supplemental income for someone already working full time with kids but now I guess they expect you to dedicate all of your time to the possibility that there will be an opening (because subs aren't always needed) and the fact that you are basically laid off 6 months out of the year with no benefits. I'm still trying to find out what happened
  more... and why I'm "ineligible" for re-hire. Up until all of this nonsense I really enjoyed and respected this company.  less
Pros
getting your foot in the door of a school system/experience
Cons
getting your foot in is as far as you get, there are no promotions or actual city school jobs if they already contract through appleton
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 15, 2017
Assist classroom teacher in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking specialized tasks to achieve and enhance instructional and behavioral objectives.  Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.  Assist with behavior modification as assigned by teacher.  Lift, move, and operate adaptive equipment.  Assist students with personal care tasks, including but not limited to, lavatory, clothing, hygiene, diapering, toileting, and wash-up routines.  Escort students as assigned by teacher or administrator.  Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.  Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment  Provide programmed practice activities and repetitions as developed by teacher, therapist or pathologist.  Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution.  Assist with breakfast, lunch, snack, including clean-up.  Maintain various records and files.  Perform related work as required
Pros
Flexable Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks
Good diverse job environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 15, 2017
Substitute teaching at many different shcools across Alabama. I have learned to work with special needs children and gained appreciation for all walks of life.
Great company to work for so far.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 21, 2017
Great company to work for so far. Never a dull moment. Provides experience needed to become a real educator. Very supportive team. When in trouble supporters aren't far.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
No holiday pay, insurance is not very good
Productive and always up to date.
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 12, 2017
You get to meet different faculty staffs and students from different schools. I always love to wake up in the morning to work with the children, and it is great job opportunity.
Review
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 3, 2017
During my employment with Appleton, I have learned that working for this company is I have learned a lot and have gained years of experience that also helped me in my current position.
Appleton double books substitute jobs costing the sub money and time with no compensation.
Aide substitute (Current Employee) –  AlabamaSeptember 25, 2016
I have been with Appelton as a substitute since March 2016. There have been several times the job I booked was double booked. On other occasions I get to the school and the job is cancelled without notification. This causes loss of money and time without any compensation from Appleton or any apology.
Pros
Hmmmm
Cons
Double booked jobs without any compensation after driving to the school, no paid sick days or holidays.
Great company to work for, especially if you desire the Education field
Instructional Aid (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 11, 2016
It is a great company to work for! There isn't much room to move up if you are working as an instructional aide; however, it is a great place to figure out if teaching/working with kids is what you would like to do as a career! I have amazing coworkers, amazing people in corporate office to report to, and the best job ever! Working for Appleton has helped me develop my passions and understanding of how to further pursue those passions. The pay is pretty good, too, for an hourly job.
Appleton Learning is the place for advancement!
PARA PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 25, 2016
I"ve been working with the company sine 2012 and have made the same pay, no benefits or holiday pay, cut hours and have had no opportunity for advancement. My role as a paraprofessional is very rewarding in regards to assisting special needs children but the compensation for the work done does not compare. The company only allows us to get 34 hours weekly and we're not paid a cent over those hours. I have also experienced having my unemployment revoked during times of unemployment with the company (i.e. Summer break) on several occasions due to the company not wanting to pay unemployment to its employees.

Overall, my experience with the company has not been the best! I love working with the children and staff at most of the schools I've been assigned to but the company itself is not the best fit for me financially and nor is it a place for advancement.
Pros
No work on holidays or weekends
Cons
No holiday, sick or vacation pay, lack of adequate hours, no advancement, and no pay raises!
Great job
Para Educator Special Education (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 18, 2016
I have worked with this company for the past 3 years and it has been a great experience. I worked in a pre-kindergarten classroom where each child had different levels of needs. I worked with a great team of women who were very supportive.
low wages, terrible treatment of employees
Educator/Special Needs Aide (Former Employee) –  Guntersville, ALJune 11, 2016
JUST SAY NO. low wages and zero support given. zero follow up or feedback at all. treat employees poorly. I would not recommend this for anyone interested in education
A good place to work
Paraprofessional SPED (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 1, 2016
They are on top of your needs or problem that you may have. The most thing I love it seeing the student learn and move on with goals.
Overall Great
Afterschool Care Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 24, 2016
I enjoy working for this company and would recommend it to others. I enjoy being able to work with students and helping them with their homework as well as working with the different after school steam projects.
Pros
steam projects
Day Working for Appleton
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 21, 2016
My opinion of working for Appleton is that they are very fair to their employees. The pay is pretty good for the jobs done, and I have learned a lot. My coworkers and the students I work with have given me so much to learn from. I think the management cares for their many employees and tries to give equal opportunities to all staff. The hardest part of the job can be anything from not clicking with a student, to simple frustrations everyday, but the key is to be patient and keep working at it. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the students you work with excited to work with you everyday.
Pros
Paid weekly; great staff
Cons
Benefits offered are not the best; no chance for paid time off
Great Starting Point
Collaborative Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 18, 2016
This is a great company to work with when you are fresh out of college and want some experience in the school systems. If you are interested in furthering a career in Education, this is a good company to work for and get placed in your local school systems, to gain experience, and have an idea of the flow of working in public schools in various cities where they operate. A typical day begins with at regular school hours, you work with students and other faculty and staff members of the school. You follow the guidelines of the position that you are given. Most difficult part is the learning to work with special education students and meeting their needs, but it is also the most rewarding when you feel that you have assisted them in reaching goals and accomplishing tasks.
N/a
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 5, 2016
Assisted a 1st grade student who possessed Autism with challenging work. I made sure the student stayed on task, exhibit self control and followed directions.
Great employment choice for entry level
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 10, 2016
Excellent work atmosphere.. great open bar company parties however the workload is unrealist and demanding with little pay. Turnover is very high.
Pros
Great company parties
Cons
pay
Working with children
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consist of being in a classroom working one on one with a teacher and students. I make sure that the teacher has whatever support she may need as well as the children i also handle any behavior issues that may come up.
Horrible place to work!!!
csr (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 6, 2016
The management is unorganized with everything!! The owner is young and doesn't have any business sense at all!! He makes decisions based on the opinion of other employees. The owner shows favoritism towards staff, and he favors the ones who will work their buts off without any lunch break for low pay. The corporate office is very unprofessional. The employees are intimidated by new employees and had sabotage many because of fear of being replaced. The management will replace you without giving you any notice. The management will train someone for your position, while you're working hard, and once they has trained that person, then they give you the boot. While working for the company, you're under the impression you're doing a good job, until one day they replace you, without any reason. If the manager dont like you they replace you. If the staff dont like you, they replace you. If you demand to take your lunch break, that is required, they replace you. If you from some where else, and your accent isn't like their accent, they replace you. They don't like to pay, when its time to get paid, dont look forward to getting paid on time or on the day, that is expected to be paid. The company could be great, if the owner if the company get to know his employees personally and not judge them by the opinions of others. Many good employees were fired, simply because the management or other staff didn't like them!!
Pros
Cons
They change employees like they change underwear.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appleton Learning. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7