Applied Materials Employee Reviews

Good company, great compensation.
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 24, 2016
Great company to work for. The culture was highly bright and it was a joy to speak with all levels of management. The work/life balance could use some improvements
Pros
Great compensation and they treat their employees well
Cons
Culture could use some improvements
Varian semiconductor
Electrical Mechanical Assembler III (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, MAOctober 27, 2016
I've held a job at varian/AMAT for 5 years. I worked hard and have been compensated consistently. I became full time after a year and have been given and taken all opportunities presented. This company values their employees who are dedicated and hard workers.
Benefits
Cons
Down turns in production
A good environment
Process Support & Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 25, 2016
I had 2 different positions there and the people I interacted with were great. The work was fulfilling, the salary and benefits were good too.
Pros
I enjoyed the people, money and atmosphere
Cons
The semiconductor industry has left the area
Constantly evolving working environment
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MANovember 29, 2016
It was a very laid back environment until it was time to get things accomplished. There was some very hard-work to do for weeks at a time, but on other days there was too much free time.
Benefits
Cons
free time
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 10, 2016
Nice place to work for people friendly self paced work you're able to learn new things instead of being stuck in one area not so much overtime which I didn't like
Pros
They did things to let you know that they appreciate the employees
Cons
No raise
A place to work with talented and passionate people
Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 21, 2016
You solve high value problems on daily basis. You work with a group of professionals who take their jobs severely and always try their best to perform. You won't get bored working in this company and there is endless opportunity to learn. Employees are encourage to switch divisions in the company as they wish. Promotion system seems fair and based on performance and peer reviews.
Pros
Ethical work culture. Good place to learn and advance in your careers
Cons
Some departments lack work/life balance
#1 Manufacturer of Semiconductor Capital Equipment
Mech. Engr. IV (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 12, 2016
The corporate culture is 'Silicon Valley' - a flat management style where results matter. There are no 'silos': the workers are expected to go anywhere and interact with anyone, without restriction, to accomplish their objectives. Managers are there to clear roadblocks.

In return for an unfettered work environment, the workers are evaluated on their performance - and if the performance is excellent, they are richly rewarded. If their performance is not excellent, they should be looking around for another job. The industry is cyclical, and layoffs occur roughly every 18 months or so. Regardless if you are a worker or a manager, if you do not demonstrate consistent, superior performance, you should be looking around for work elsewhere.

Because Applied is the #1 global manufacturer of capital equipment, the expectations are sky-high. Competition is fierce, and Applied competes on a global basis.

Applied sells their products worldwide because they are the best in the world, with the fastest time to market. The typical product horizon is released in 90 days or less - the longest is 6 months, and that is rare. This is generally not the environment for a work/life balance - the emphasis is on being #1 with rapid deliveries.

On the plus side, working at Applied is the opportunity to demonstrate superior performance in a world-class organization.
Pros
No expense is spared to see that you accomplish your objectives
Cons
Silicon Valley is goal-oriented, and is not friendly to a work/life balance
Flexible and knowledgable workforce albeit little room for progress or promotion
HR Staffing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 18, 2016
Many positions within Applied Materials' workforce are contract - and few conversions or promotions occur within a timeframe you might expect them to.

Because the company is established, it has an "old" feel with stale policy and procedures in place that don't seem to be revisited any time soon.

The brightside is a knowledgable workforce from which you can learn a lot, and flexibility in regards to work life balance!
Cons
Mandatory holidays
Challenging place to work, but pays well.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
Demanding but rewarding place to work. Very corporate environment focused on bottom line.

Organization is reorganized every 6 months. I worked there for many years, and it was not uncommon for me to have 1-8 new bosses in a given year.

Co-workers are well qualified and hardworking.

Lots of good benefits... bonuses, 401k matching, health care, etc.
Not my first choice
Final Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 25, 2016
This company is very hard to work for, management is self absorbed and workers are treated like a number to fill a slot. There is almost no chance for advancement and very frequent layoffs with no warning at all.
Pros
pay is above normal
Cons
now work/ life balance at all.

Want to know more about Applied Materials?

Ask a question
Challenging role made harder by poor management and lack of institutional learning
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 12, 2016
The work always offers a challenge and more to do and learn, but learning is hindered by a lack of institutional learning. Each department reinvents the wheel for so much of what they do. This is exacerbated by management requiring such a high volume of work (typical day is 12 hours or more).
ok to work
Engineering Technician III (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 19, 2016
• Responsible for data recovery, debug, diagnostics and repair without erasing information for most of hard drive brand names. Task involves: Test, debug and trouble-shooting disk drives mechanical problem and electronic circuit down to component level including digital and analog (surface mount assemblies) circuit board.
• Worked in clean room environment to copy and recover data.
• Extract raw data, inspect integrity of data and recover critical file system structures from media
Friendly Environment with great extras!
Materials Coordinator / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2016
Every day is something new. You come in and see what is in store. I have learned a lot over my 18 months with the company, including Oracle and SAP. My boss and his boss were amazing! Easy to talk to guys with a laid back and appreciative attitude. Co-workers are average. You will have the ones you like and do not like, but at the end of the day, you are a family. Hardest part is letting go when your contract expires, but the going away lunch is amazing! Most enjoyable is the catered lunch and fun at the end of each quarter and the 2 gyms on site with fitness classes.
Pros
Gym, fitness class, End-of-quarter celebrations
Cons
18 month contracts
I got happy time there. Thank you all you guys, my friends.
Electro/Mechanical Tech (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2016
People very friendly! Great environment for working and enjoin your work time. I have a lot of friends there and I really miss them.

I would say thank you to my leaders, my supervisors. Thank you for trusted me and supported me in all the projects I had done. Thanks for the handshake everyday, boss. It's encourage me every day working.
Pros
Free lunch at company, Outside activity(movies, golf)
Great Place to Work
Manager (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 29, 2016
Great company culture which allows for personal creativity and problem solving. Generally a laid back atmosphere.Opportunities to work in many different locations.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Can be hard to get ahead
Great place
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 30, 2016
Great people, good mentors. I was brought up to speed and given many opportunities and ownership. There are many learning, training, and career development opportunities available.
Pros
Subsidized food
Cons
Not any
Small technical support team with bad scope creep.
Technical Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2015
This job was fine, mostly, but our job responsibilities grew at an out of control rate, our support scope got huge but our pay and workforce remained the same. It's also difficult to get fired in this environment so bad elements unfortunately were able to stay when it was well acknowledged that they should have been let go.

Management has lost control of staff and are largely ineffectual, breaks were short, company does a lot of outsourcing and has moved it's headquarters overseas to dodge taxes.
Pros
Salary, ample parking
Cons
Short Breaks, Management, Scope Creep, No Raises
AMAT is a good place to work
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Kalispell, MTAugust 23, 2015
AMAT is a good company to work for, I have enjoyed my time with the company and the people are great.. Travel and additional training is encouraged by the company.

Business Acumen training along with many other training courses: Product Life Cycle, purchasing negotiations, selling strategies and many other courses.

Cultural differences between California and Montana can be interesting. All in all a good company to work for, lots of talent within the company and lots of resources to do your job.
Pros
Compensation is good
Cons
Cultural differences between MT and CA
Very great place to work.
Assembler 4 (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 29, 2016
Working here for going on 4 years and it has always been great to me. Management is always here to better you and get you to the places you want to be.
Innovative technology
Indirect Supply-chain (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2016
Innovative technology, with a high % of innovative type A personalities leading at all levels of the business. Also, many, many, great people in numerous areas of the company. Basically, a innovative global leader that is always on, which has it's upside and downside.