Applied Research Associates, Inc Employee Reviews

Decent Starting Company, but few opportunities for growth
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLApril 3, 2017
Initially, there was lots of potential to learn new things, but eventually discovered there is little room for growth. Pay scale very low when compared to averages in the area. Management is basically revolving door, which is frustrating.
Great internship for college students
Lead Project Coordinator/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2017
- Manage day-to-day project necessities, involving scheduling
- Collect all coding spreadsheets from research assistants
- Observe residents at homes
A decent place to work, most of the time
Senior Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 15, 2017
ARA is, first and foremost, a marketing organization. Every manager is where he/she is because or their marketing. This makes for a good marketing organization but misses in other areas of performance from a technical, leadership, and administrative perspective. The culture is management-by-numbers and sometimes this causes a lack of teamwork and camaraderie.

ARA does some interesting work and if you can be part of that, it can be worth putting up with the negatives.

If you have established an expertise and relationships with your sponsors, and you want marketing to be a large percentage of your working hours, then ARA is worth a look. Otherwise you will find it difficult to establish relationships with sponsors with the thin resources you will get.
Pros
An employee-owned company with a great ESOP.
Cons
Layers of managers, with few leaders. A company that literally has almost nothing but its people, professional development should be a priority. But it isn't.
UXO disposal is great work. No Complaints. This portion is unnecessary. This field does not need to be completed, and should be removed from the resu
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Parsons, KSJanuary 1, 2017
UXO disposal is great work. No Complaints.
This portion is unnecessary.
This field does not need to be completed, and should be removed from the resume creation process.
Lots of travel
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2016
Great team, lots of customer interaction, team effort for final GIS product for multiple installations. Loads of ARCGis work under tight deadlines to meet excellent rating from AFCEC COR.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Contract work, employee owned company need everybody seeking more contracts to bid on.
ARA is a great company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHOctober 3, 2016
I have been employed here for 10+ years. I love the company. They care about their employees and try to help them further their careers. They have absolutely EXCELLENT benefits -- health, dental, 401K, and vision. Their Paid Leave policies are beyond wonderful and are flexible.
Great for Engineers, need to build base in other sciences
Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 16, 2015
A bunch of guys that blew stuff up in the desert - Now they are trying to expand their business foot print and have the know how to get it done, but have trouble executing this.
Employee Owned Company
ACCOUNTING ADMINISTRATOR 4 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 21, 2015
All employees own stock in the company. They have a good benefits and retirement package and are flexible with work schedules.
A consulting firm with a wide variety of projects
Staff Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 4, 2015
Each day at Applied Research Associates was different. Being a consulting/contracting firm (dealing mostly with government and military) presented various challenges and projects. A typical day would usually consist of reviewing lab write ups/white papers, preforming a variety of tests, generating lab reports, and finally submitting lab reports.

I learned a variety of tasks including (but not limited to) preforming various tests, generating test protocols, generating lab write ups, designing and manufacturing test jigs/fixtures.

The management at Applied Research Associates was relatively strict, but still very knowledgeable. They were very strict on meeting deadlines and being under budget, which is completely understandable when dealing with contracts. But it can however make for a very stressful work environment.

My co-workers were very knowledgeable and came from a variety of backgrounds and schools/degrees. It was not unheard of for an engineer to work with a physics major. It made for very interesting group dynamics, but also made it easier to generating new concepts by having people from different backgrounds.

The hardest part of the job was generating the white papers and lab reports while still meeting the, usually, tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge. Every day you worked on something different, it was great for keeping you stimulated and interested in the work you were doing. Each day was a great learning opportunity.
Small company with huge impacts
Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NEApril 9, 2014
ARA is a Department of Defense contract firm so I had direct client interfacing while planning military exercises for United States Strategic Command. A typical day included collaboration with other working groups, developing training and exercise objectives and identifying requirements to meet those objectives. Coordination with trusted agents and other planners to build story lines and integrate those vignettes with the master scenario.
Co-workers were other DoD contractors, government civilians and military members with varying skill sets.
The hardest part of the job was working with the exercise scripters to integrate smaller story lines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was during exercise execution when we got to see the flow of the exercise and how the training audience reacted and worked together to develop solutions to the problem set created.
Pros
Autonomy in working with the client
Cons
Small ARA team with limited contact to corporate.
Employee-owned company, good stock options.
Staff Engineer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLMarch 5, 2014
Good stock options and retirement plans. Interesting subject matter with the military.
Test Engineer at the Transportation Security Laboratory
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234February 10, 2014
Testing new machines to upgrade security in the fight against terrorism.
poor for QA
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2014
wrong application of QA, hard employer for women in general, difficult to succeed as QA.
Lack of Leadership
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXNovember 18, 2013
Typical day of work at ARA includes little to no communication with/through staff. Great experiences and work with customers. Coworkers, with the exception of a few, have little to no communication and/or personal skills. There is little to no appreciation for employees and even customers. Nepotism and management "favorites" ruin the work environment.
Pros
Medical Benefits
Cons
Lack of Leadership
Science and Engineering Technology
CORPORATE PROPOSAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2013
Diverse technology, has a strong team with excellent skills and technology for innovative products and projects
Management of Sales, Accounts, or Training
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 14, 2013
Worked with 12 personnel daily ensuring they got assistance from me in equipment checks & accountability, training, and deployment of personnel and equipment. My co-workers were all active duty Air Force members that were subject to deploy to any location in the world with only short notice. The hardest part of the job was making sure members were ready to meet military requirements to support our country. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing job satisfaction that they were ready and that I made that happen.
Pros
Medical benefits for my family
Cons
Long hours sometimes
good people
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Randolph, VTAugust 19, 2013
good benefits but an "eat what you kill" company; hard to get good balance of work and outside life. divisions have had lot of turnover of late with sequestration. juggle many projects.
Pros
great retirement program
Cons
work/life balance
Productive and knowledgable place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 5, 2013
Our work is mostly research oriented. We conduct experiments sing our equipments depending on the project we are handling and the runs usually go on for 7 hours. Most of our work involves research to find out how to get better results by going through a lot of papers and articles. We are guided by my adviser and Post-Doc who mention our goals and assist us in understanding our experiments better. The hardest part is getting the machine to work properly as it gives trouble from time to time while the fun part is the freedom we are offered. We can conduct experiments with our own ideas provided they are feasible. This has helped us gain a lot by means f trial and error.
Pros
35 hours per week.
Cons
health care
Great company to work for
Junior Program Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
Great environment and benefits. Typical 9-5 job. Pay is good. The managment is understanding of the balace of work and family life.
Great company to work for
Facilities Security Officer, FSO (Former Employee) –  Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
9-5 job. Great work environment and great people to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Research Associates, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3