Applied Research Associates, Inc

Applied Research Associates, Inc Employee Reviews

Great for Engineers, need to build base in other sciences
Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 16, 2015
A bunch of guys that blew stuff up in the desert - Now they are trying to expand their business foot print and have the know how to get it done, but have trouble executing this.
Employee Owned Company
ACCOUNTING ADMINISTRATOR 4 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 21, 2015
All employees own stock in the company. They have a good benefits and retirement package and are flexible with work schedules.
A consulting firm with a wide variety of projects
Staff Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 4, 2015
Each day at Applied Research Associates was different. Being a consulting/contracting firm (dealing mostly with government and military) presented various challenges and projects. A typical day would usually consist of reviewing lab write ups/white papers, preforming a variety of tests, generating lab reports, and finally submitting lab reports.

I learned a variety of tasks including (but not limited to) preforming various tests, generating test protocols, generating lab write ups, designing and manufacturing test jigs/fixtures.

The management at Applied Research Associates was relatively strict, but still very knowledgeable. They were very strict on meeting deadlines and being under budget, which is completely understandable when dealing with contracts. But it can however make for a very stressful work environment.

My co-workers were very knowledgeable and came from a variety of backgrounds and schools/degrees. It was not unheard of for an engineer to work with a physics major. It made for very interesting group dynamics, but also made it easier to generating new concepts by having people from different backgrounds.

The hardest part of the job was generating the white papers and lab reports while still meeting the, usually, tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge. Every day you worked on something different, it was great for keeping you stimulated and interested in the work you were doing. Each day was a great learning opportunity.
Great folks to work with.
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 5, 2015
Great work environment.

Learned excellent team collaboration techniques.

Management genuinely concerned for the work force.

Hardest part of the job was the commute.

Most enjoyable part of the job was traveling.
Pros
company was like a family.
Cons
small company; not a lot of room to expand.
Small company with huge impacts
Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NEApril 9, 2014
ARA is a Department of Defense contract firm so I had direct client interfacing while planning military exercises for United States Strategic Command. A typical day included collaboration with other working groups, developing training and exercise objectives and identifying requirements to meet those objectives. Coordination with trusted agents and other planners to build story lines and integrate those vignettes with the master scenario.
Co-workers were other DoD contractors, government civilians and military members with varying skill sets.
The hardest part of the job was working with the exercise scripters to integrate smaller story lines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was during exercise execution when we got to see the flow of the exercise and how the training audience reacted and worked together to develop solutions to the problem set created.
Pros
autonomy in working with the client
Cons
small ara team with limited contact to corporate.
Employee-owned company, good stock options.
Staff Engineer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLMarch 5, 2014
Good stock options and retirement plans. Interesting subject matter with the military.
Test Engineer at the Transportation Security Laboratory
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234February 10, 2014
Testing new machines to upgrade security in the fight against terrorism.
poor for QA
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2014
wrong application of QA, hard employer for women in general, difficult to succeed as QA.
Lack of Leadership
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXNovember 18, 2013
Typical day of work at ARA includes little to no communication with/through staff. Great experiences and work with customers. Coworkers, with the exception of a few, have little to no communication and/or personal skills. There is little to no appreciation for employees and even customers. Nepotism and management "favorites" ruin the work environment.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
lack of leadership
Science and Engineering Technology
CORPORATE PROPOSAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2013
Diverse technology, has a strong team with excellent skills and technology for innovative products and projects

Want to know more about Applied Research Associates, Inc?

Ask a question
Management of Sales, Accounts, or Training
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 14, 2013
Worked with 12 personnel daily ensuring they got assistance from me in equipment checks & accountability, training, and deployment of personnel and equipment. My co-workers were all active duty Air Force members that were subject to deploy to any location in the world with only short notice. The hardest part of the job was making sure members were ready to meet military requirements to support our country. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing job satisfaction that they were ready and that I made that happen.
Pros
medical benefits for my family
Cons
long hours sometimes
Productive and knowledgable place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 5, 2013
Our work is mostly research oriented. We conduct experiments sing our equipments depending on the project we are handling and the runs usually go on for 7 hours. Most of our work involves research to find out how to get better results by going through a lot of papers and articles. We are guided by my adviser and Post-Doc who mention our goals and assist us in understanding our experiments better. The hardest part is getting the machine to work properly as it gives trouble from time to time while the fun part is the freedom we are offered. We can conduct experiments with our own ideas provided they are feasible. This has helped us gain a lot by means f trial and error.
Pros
35 hours per week.
Cons
health care
Great company to work for
Junior Program Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
Great environment and benefits. Typical 9-5 job. Pay is good. The managment is understanding of the balace of work and family life.
Great company to work for
Facilities Security Officer, FSO (Former Employee) –  Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
9-5 job. Great work environment and great people to work with.
Great company for the defense contracting sector
easily identified as I am a 1 deep position (Current Employee) –  easily identified as I am a 1 deep positionMay 14, 2013
Outstanding to work for. Great support form all levels of management and branches of the company. As a contractor, I am at a remote site, and have never actually met my supervisors face-to-face, but have any support if needed. They leave you alone to perform your job, and the review/ratings for promotion/pay increase is very fair! As a recently seperated veteran, this company was an easy transition to make. But- with all DoD contracting firms, job security is only as good as the politicians and the needs of the military. No fault of the company- but I got my sequester notice. They are assisting us every step of the way to the last day- and helping to us to find other jobs.
Pros
everything
Cons
subject to dod sequesters
Fast and hard working
Computer Science Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2013
ARA provides a good solid work environment that promotes learning and growth. All members of the staff that I interacted with were always friendly and professional.
Pros
nice facilities, good coworkers
Government Contracted Company
Administrative Assistant - ARA Southeast Division (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 19, 2012
Working at ARA allows lots of people interaction with interesting projects being developed by Scientist, Engineers, and Software Developers. The culture is very strict, and based in military/government schools of thought.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Research Associates, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4