Applied Research Associates, Inc

Applied Research Associates, Inc Employer Reviews

Small company with huge impacts
Staff Scientist (Former Employee), USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NEApril 9, 2014
Pros: autonomy in working with the client
Cons: small ara team with limited contact to corporate.
ARA is a Department of Defense contract firm so I had direct client interfacing while planning military exercises for United States Strategic Command. A typical day included collaboration with other working groups, developing training and exercise objectives and identifying requirements to meet those objectives. Coordination with trusted agents and – more... other planners to build story lines and integrate those vignettes with the master scenario.
Co-workers were other DoD contractors, government civilians and military members with varying skill sets.
The hardest part of the job was working with the exercise scripters to integrate smaller story lines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was during exercise execution when we got to see the flow of the exercise and how the training audience reacted and worked together to develop solutions to the problem set created. – less
Employee-owned company, good stock options.
Staff Engineer / Analyst (Former Employee), Niceville, FLMarch 5, 2014
Good stock options and retirement plans. Interesting subject matter with the military.
Test Engineer at the Transportation Security Laboratory
Test Engineer (Former Employee), Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234February 10, 2014
Testing new machines to upgrade security in the fight against terrorism.
poor for QA
QA Lead (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2014
wrong application of QA, hard employer for women in general, difficult to succeed as QA.
Lack of Leadership
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee), Pecos, TXNovember 18, 2013
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: lack of leadership
Typical day of work at ARA includes little to no communication with/through staff. Great experiences and work with customers. Coworkers, with the exception of a few, have little to no communication and/or personal skills. There is little to no appreciation for employees and even customers. Nepotism and management "favorites" ruin the work environment.
Science and Engineering Technology
CORPORATE PROPOSAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2013
Diverse technology, has a strong team with excellent skills and technology for innovative products and projects
Management of Sales, Accounts, or Training
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: medical benefits for my family
Cons: long hours sometimes
Worked with 12 personnel daily ensuring they got assistance from me in equipment checks & accountability, training, and deployment of personnel and equipment. My co-workers were all active duty Air Force members that were subject to deploy to any location in the world with only short notice. The hardest part of the job was making sure members were ready – more... to meet military requirements to support our country. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing job satisfaction that they were ready and that I made that happen. – less
good people
Senior Scientist (Current Employee), Randolph, VTAugust 19, 2013
Pros: great retirement program
Cons: work/life balance
good benefits but an "eat what you kill" company; hard to get good balance of work and outside life. divisions have had lot of turnover of late with sequestration. juggle many projects.
Great company to work for
Junior Program Control Analyst (Former Employee), Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
Great environment and benefits. Typical 9-5 job. Pay is good. The managment is understanding of the balace of work and family life.
Great company to work for
Facilities Security Officer, FSO (Former Employee), Pinehurst, NCJuly 11, 2013
9-5 job. Great work environment and great people to work with.
Great company for the defense contracting sector
easily identified as I am a 1 deep position (Current Employee), easily identified as I am a 1 deep positionMay 14, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: subject to dod sequesters
Outstanding to work for. Great support form all levels of management and branches of the company. As a contractor, I am at a remote site, and have never actually met my supervisors face-to-face, but have any support if needed. They leave you alone to perform your job, and the review/ratings for promotion/pay increase is very fair! As a recently seperated – more... veteran, this company was an easy transition to make. But- with all DoD contracting firms, job security is only as good as the politicians and the needs of the military. No fault of the company- but I got my sequester notice. They are assisting us every step of the way to the last day- and helping to us to find other jobs. – less
Fast and hard working
Computer Science Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2013
Pros: nice facilities, good coworkers
ARA provides a good solid work environment that promotes learning and growth. All members of the staff that I interacted with were always friendly and professional.
Government Contracted Company
Administrative Assistant - ARA Southeast Division (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: culture
Working at ARA allows lots of people interaction with interesting projects being developed by Scientist, Engineers, and Software Developers. The culture is very strict, and based in military/government schools of thought.

About Applied Research Associates, Inc

Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is an international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically – Read more