Applus RTD Employee Reviews

Poor workplace; Big company little employees
NDT Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 2, 2016
The office will watch their finances first. Some of the Employees have anger issues. Good ole boy network in full effect. Many techs quit because one senior individual tech; There is rampant favoritism, cliques, lack of support, and tolerance for inappropriate behavior in the workplace. No professionalism and bad communication, as departments do not play well with each other. Some manager lacks professional delegation.

No one can work together and you get "thrown under a bus" no matter how much you support your team or the organization.
It's very much an environment where you have to defend yourself and your processes regularly.

Management had no idea how to sell services or manage overhead. Management will belittle any staff to make themselves look good. They forget the NDT Tech are the reason they have a job.

One or two Co-workers were the only saving grace of the office.
Pros
It's a good starting place to get experience, but beyond that I personally wouldn't recommend it.
Cons
It's the Wal-Mart of NDT
Great staff, and good benefits
UT Technician Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Working with Applus RTD has been an amazing adventure, however unfortunately the room for advancement and compensation wasn't on par with competitors.
very productive with many departments a duties to take care of
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Typical day answer phones, send emails, assign equipment, do inventory control, stock shelves, send fedex, do billing, communicate with customers and vendors via email or by phones. Great co-workers, most enjoyable part of any day was working along side my husband,
Pros
we were all like Family
Cons
being let go after 6 years for new nepotism policy
Horrible Management
NDT Tech (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXNovember 24, 2015
Good ole boy network was in full effect. Management had no idea how to sell services. Pay was good everything else was subpar. Good training if you were able to get it. Managers never would help out. Having to deal with a company that has been bought out by another only to find out the merger didn't take place made all employees question their future. Co-workers were the only saving grace of the office.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Never knew where you were going from week to week or be home that month.
Very simple and relaxed place to work
drafter (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2015
The work is simple, no challenge; all you need to have is basic AutoCAD skills. No room for growth. Work atmosphere is relaxed and that's a plus.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
No challenge, no room for growth.
OK Company to Work For
Business Line Manager - Pipeline Integrity (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2015
This company is an ok company to work for. They have recently had a management change that don't necessarily understand the inspection business, but I think they will get there. There is LOTS of travel and a few policies that actually make no sense along with lack of direction in the company.
Pros
No Micromanagement
Cons
Policies, healthcare isn't that great, lots of travel
Good Industry, Good Training
Data Entry/ Project Managers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 6, 2015
Have learned a lot from my supervisor and have had additional training not given many other places. Co-workers are friendly. Recently changed to corprate so many changes are taking place.
Pros
Getting to work 40 hours a week
Cons
Pay scale basis
No Home Life
Radiographers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYJune 10, 2015
In my time with the company, I learned a lot of things that i had no knowledge of prior so it was a great learning curve, however, the management after some company changes was horrible. out manager came in once a week and didnt talk to us unless we went into his office. we could be in the same building and he would send us an email about job information and that would be it. I was the only Radiographers assistant which meant i worked A LOT of overtime that i couldn't avoid and i also traveled frequently. It is a great job if you want money but not a good job if you want a life other than work.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Short/no breaks, late nights, hotel stays, weeks away from home
Stressful, disorganized, bad vision
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 15, 2015
I wish I would have better things to say about working at Applus RTD, but it's dysfunctional on so many levels. There is rampant favoritism, cliques, lack of support, and tolerance for inappropriate behavior in the workplace. No professionalism and bad communication, as departments do not play well with each other. It's very much an environment where you have to defend yourself and your processes regularly, as no one can work together and you get "thrown under a bus" no matter how much you support your team or the organization. Employees that are not senior management or the protected few get little to no respect, hard workers are not recognized or appreciated, and most employees do just enough work to not get fired. There is a serious lack of good work ethic here. I believe these short comings are due to a small US company trying to keep up with the demands of multiple acquisitions over a short time span. The global company has grown and acquired more US entities, but that core group of employees is still intact in the US. Their vision is limited, and their action is reactionary.

I truly hope that this company can learn and grow, but it is definitely not the environment for me.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Bad management, no support, expensive benefits
Too much favoritism
Radiographer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 27, 2015
its about who you know. after 3 years of working for this company i have recieved one rais. instead my pay was cut by 8 %. i do not recommend this company.
A day at Applus
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTMarch 21, 2015
The company is poorly managed and run. The good old boy network is evident, and if you are not "in" , you are "out".
The culture is 50 years behind in keeping pace with safety, EH&S and personnel issues. When there is a problem, the common response is to hide it, and/or ignore it. I have seen many serious safety issues ignored and hidden. I have seen serious personality problems with managers that are ignored, yet reported time and again. The promises for the hourly folks are false and its the old carrot trick that management laughs at behind doors. I have seen promises of fair raises only to be "in processing" for months and months and never come to fruition.
I had the operations manager say to me about an employee that got in a fight "we all get in fights, and that's ok..." I was floored by this comment, and it concerned me.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Serious safety risks, and bad management personalities.
Management and co-workers very detached. No team environment work as silos.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 15, 2015
Very high turnover rate, European owned, corporate is in Spain and Holland so tech, BI, accounting/finance support takes for ever.
Pros
free coffee, drinks stocked in fridge.
Cons
very arrogant workplace, no onboarding, management doesn't give clear direction for success.
Horrible management low wages micromanagement
API 570 inspector/NDE Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 20, 2014
this company is one of the lowest paying company's in the industry. Management has violated several labor laws it's so micro managed they have cameras in side there vehicles to watch you drive. There about making profits even if that means laying off their employees. Poor equipment. I worked at the company they bought out for nine years (valley industrial x-ray) and they turned it into a horrible place to work!
Pros
they will work you illegally
Cons
every thing
Enjoyable work
AUT Operator / Advanced NDT Technician (Former Employee) –  RotterdamSeptember 15, 2014
Applus RTD are an excellent company to work for.

Had good treatment and worked on various projects worldwide which was pleasant.

HR really take care of their own and the salary is good.
Pros
good salary, good care on international projects
Cons
over ruled home life. work took over.
Great Company
Assistant NDE Technician (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 2, 2014
Great company to work for. However, the department I worked in has since been shut down and moved to National Toxicology.
What a joke
Ultrasonic/Radiographer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 6, 2014
I started as an assistant here. This place violates a ton of labor laws. I was once forced to work a 40 hour shift. 24 hour shifts are not out of the question. I worked here 3 months and then got laid off. I ended up attempting to sue this place after I left for all the labor violations and they settled out of court. This place hires a temp firm who then lays employees off after 3 months so they do not have to pay them benefits. If you are related to someone in management you can go far, but other than that don't work hard, your hard work will not be noticed and management looks out for family, then friends, and then maybe you.
Pros
good overtime checks
Cons
low wages, labor violations, layoffs, no advancement, lack of training
Great coworkers, Terrible upper Management
Civil Engineer Technician (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYJuly 25, 2014
The company has a bunch of great people to work with, but not necessarily for. I sometimes love going to work, sometimes hate it. I was/am a basic civil engineering technician/ materials inspector If you're not actively on a job that you can bill for, the company will send you away. They are only concerned with the money, not the workers.
Pros
hours, coworkers
Cons
pay, benefits, management
Productive and Fun Place
Collections Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2014
This is a great company to work for! The casual work environment allows for a comfortable and productive place. Management is understanding and assists with working around your personal schedule. Co-workers are dependable and hard-working.
Pros
management is flexible and understanding about employees' work/life balance
Cons
compensation
No comment
NDE Technician Level II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 3, 2013
Company consolidating operations, moving all work to Buffalo area.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
A relaxed stress free environment
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 7, 2013
I enjoy working for APPLUS RTD and would recommend to work for

2.7