APS Medical Billing Employee Reviews

The worst employment decision I ever made
Medical Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioSeptember 28, 2016
If you are a medical biller or coder or looking for a remote job - DO NOT ACCEPT A JOB HERE! The company has built their business around an antiquated AS400 system and you will spend your time using internal codes and not real world ICD and CPT codes. Training is poor and you are expected to just dive in while trying to keep up. Quotas, no breaks, terrible benefits and cold, cold management. The company takes security very seriously to the point of ridiculous. On the other hand, if you enjoy robotically completing tasks day after day, you might enjoy working here. I did not.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
everything else
Mentally, emotionally, and physically draining
former employee (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 17, 2016
There is nothing positive to be said about this company other than it is extremely difficult to be terminated. If you aren't part of the family who owns the business, don't expect them to go out of their way to support your great work ethic or performance. From day one you are told quantity of accounts over quality. Basically, it is poor service to both client's and their patient's. You will go home every day feeling defeated. They take over every aspect of your life.
Pros
Cons
everything
never work here
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toledo, ohAugust 29, 2015
This company takes on way to many clients and cannot handle the overwhelming AR that is received because they keep buying contracts but don't have enough workers to keep up. Working in customer service your minimum goal is 107+ calls enough. And the new director wants to change it to 125+ calls. Lets be realistic. On the busiest monday only 5 customer service agents made the 107 goal. That's only 34% of the department are able to make goal but they want to raise the goal? They are only setting you up for failure. What you do is not enough. They you to rush patients off the phone and just get to the next call without really worrying about what is actually occuring in an account. Half the times we cant even tell you why you owe a balance or what you had done because they wont buy more logins. Also a lot of times we will bill you the contracted insurance discount amount. Your director will sit in his little office and watch you and every time you go to the bathroom he's watching and counting the seconds. You feel like its a complete violation of privacy. Quantity over quality here. They will refuse to call insurance and tell patients that we are not able to and Instead of just calling to resolve your account. We will send your account to a whole different department. We can put it on a 45 day hold but usually that's still not enough because they are so far behind so you end up getting another bill sent to the patient after holding for 45 days... the patient will eventually call angry because they thought you were working on it. So you put it on another 45 day hold. Usually  more... by that time the insurance department will do their part and send out an appeal or corrected claim. By this time it's about just the end of the second hold date exceeding the 45 day mark.. well when we are refilling a corrected claim or appeal they fail at restarting the bill cycle or a new hold of 45 days therefore the patient gets a final statement threatening collections. The sad thing is we send patients daily to collections In our error. Then refuse to bring it out of collections and tell it's illegal when they still have the capability they just were making to many mistakes facing to remove accounts. Also when their is a system issue and you present it to your management instead of fixing they become defensive if how it's not the system it's you. there's only one good manager there and she's unfortunately not even paid enough for how much she does for them. Once again her hard work and dedication will go unnoticed.  less
Pros
not worth it
Cons
everything
Horrible place to work!
Medical Billing (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioNovember 12, 2013
Horrible place to work! Management and Ownership is demeaning and rude. Not enough employees to perform work needed. Constant chaios. Very outdated IT capabilities that results in a lot of tedious manual labor. Very high turn over in staff. Whenever they get good managers or staff they leave because of the toxic environment. Loved my co-workers; they were hard working caring individuals. Horrible training program. Very unprofessional organization.
Pros
got a paid check
Cons
poor management
monotonous work, terrible management
data entry (Former Employee) –  toledo, ohApril 5, 2013
They have you do the same thing over and over again until you feel like a zombie from staring at the computer screen non-stop. They keep track of how quickly you work, and if it's not quick enough, they fire you. I wasn't quick enough, even though the people around me sat around chit chatting a good deal of the time while I was working. I would get up every hour to use the restroom or get water, just to give my eyes a rest, plus my back would ache because the chair was broken. I think my supervisor saw me getting up all the time and thought I wasn't working. Person was a jerk anyway. They also make the low level employees park about 3 buildings down. You're a disposable employee here. The first day, they didn't even show me around or introduce me to anyone.
Fast paced, fun great place to learn and advance
Client Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 15, 2013
APS allows the opportunity for employees to advance and take on new positions within the company. They helped provide me with the skills and knowledge to do my current position. They are family oriented so this is great for working moms.

With the ability to move up and between departments you were always learning something new, and I enjoyed meeting and working with people there. I started out in the customer service department taking calls from patients and verifying all demographics were correct, insurance denials/requests and filing of secondary claims. I then moved into the Insurance Claims department where I followed up with carriers on unpaid claims, claims that were processed incorretly and filed appeals. After a short time I also worked all collection accounts, this is where accounts were reviewed 1 final time before moving to an outside agency for collections. Here I would review the claim to see if all demographics were correct, if the carrier was needing additional information etc before placing the account to collections. I then moved into the position of Client Account Representative where I worked one on one with the clients, and multiple departments daily to ensure the claims that were coming in were going out timely and without errors as well as monitored the client cash flow.
Pros
paid lunches, free parking, health benefits
Cons
it was a good place to work and learn. i left because of the opportunity to advance
Poorly Managed
Senior Payment Poster (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 6, 2014
Unstable work environment
Management changes every month
Employees train other employees
Controlling upper management
So generous........
CLAIMS PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 27, 2015
Has to be one of the most generous employers I have ever worked for. Also, the staff is very kind and understanding. Great mentors and very skilled medical coders. I highly recommend applying at this company!
Nice hours
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 4, 2014
Hardest part of my day would be the angry customers.
Answering customer calls.
Loved working here
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 30, 2012
I loved the people I worked with also what I did. I liked knowing what I could and could not do. I had no suprises with this job.

2.5