Quantitative Researcher | San Francisco, CA, United States
The Climate Corporation is a pioneering startup using large-scale weather data and cloud services to help people and businesses adapt to the problem of climate change. It is the only online service that allows consumers and businesses to protect revenue and control costs from the impact of bad weather, with no unnecessary paperwork, no claims process, no proof-of-loss and no waiting for payment. The Climate Corporation is backed by Nephila Capital, one of the largest weather funds; the company recently also had a $42 million Series B lead by Index, Khosla and Google Ventures.
We are growing rapidly and have multiple opportunities available for highly skilled Software Engineers. Candidates will use their strong engineering/analytical skills and personal drive to help us forge the way in this new, fun and fast-growing industry -- a potential multi-billion dollar market.
The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on the enormous challenge and opportunity of protecting the $3 trillion global agriculture industry from the financial impact of adverse weather – the cause of over 90 percent of crop loss – with fully automated weather insurance products. We are also building web and mobile applications that unleash the power of our unique data and analyses to help farmers manage their daily work with field-level weather and crop insights.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible.
If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we a eager to talk with you.
The Climate Corporation is looking for experienced hackers, quants, and data scientists to join our Quantitative Operations Team. We leverage big data and cloud computing to tackle real-world problems in machine learning, climatology, and risk management. We work with weather data, forecasts, agricultural statistics, geological surveys, satellite images, and more. Our extraordinary mission is to build a detailed statistical model of all possible weather events everywhere on Earth, so that every weather risk can be comprehensively managed with our insurance products.
What you will do:
- play well with others
- enjoy thinking outside of the bell curve
- say names like Dirichlet, Poisson, Cholesky, Markov, Kolmogorov in everyday conversation
- have thought seriously about how to win the Netflix Prize
- can create compelling data visualizations and mashups to reveal hidden structure in the real world
- write beautiful, robust, well-documented code
- are comfortable building their own custom software tools from scratch
- want to build massively scalable systems for statistical signal processing, dimensionality reduction, Monte Carlo simulation, and more
What you bring to the table:
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline or M.S. plus equivalent work experience; training in meteorology or climatology is not required
- Applied knowledge of stochastic processes and machine learning
- 4+ years of software development experience in a Linux environment; fluency in Python, Java, or Clojure, including at least 1 year of industry experience
- Experience implementing algorithms on big data; experience with Hadoop/Cascading/Cascalog
- Fearless DIY atttitude to learning and using new open-source technologies
- Unstoppable drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way
- Communication and collaboration skills under pressure
What we offer:
- A motivated, talented and fun team
- Energetic, idea-driven and transparent work environment
- Opportunity and resources to work on challenging research problems
- Catered lunches, well-stocked selection of beverages, perks
- Competitive pay and incentive stock options
We are very serious about our work, and we are serious about having a great time doing it. If you are the best at what you do, and are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.