Arapahoe House Employee Reviews

Sometimes it's necessary to live beyond the politics
Detox Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COAugust 10, 2015
This company was a good company to get one's foot in the door of the addiction counseling field. The classes offered were excellent. The trainers and the clinical supervisors were truly there to make sure that those who wanted to succeed did. I always came out of the training with a feeling that I could implement what I had learned.
The staff of the shift that I supervised were excellent in their ability to show empathy to the clients and in professionalism in their job responsibilities. I was honored and humbled to work with them.
From this job, I learned to get past prejudices that I was unaware that I held. I learned that I did not value people who were homeless as I should have. This changed! I also learned about the incredible amount of paperwork that is required by a supervisor.
A typical day began with counting of medication, and from there on the days were seldom "typical." There were shifts of nothing but discharges, and others of many intakes. There were medical emergencies, and days when nothing unusual happened. I learned about the importance of harm reduction over guidance into recovery. While harm reduction was of utmost importance, there were a few people who came through the doors who were ready to begin on the path to recovery. Both the realization of facilitating harm reduction, and of potential recovery came to hold equal importance.
The hardest day, and the most relieving day of this job was the day I decided that it was time to move on, and to continue my education.
Pros
Training, enightenment
Cons
Company politics
Okay for clients but not employees
Therapist (Former Employee) –  DenverAugust 16, 2012
Arapahoe House is all about their clients and getting paid. The turnover rate in every area...outpatient, inpatient, detox....is VERY high. The management consistently comes down on staff and uses staff against each other to "tattle" if they believe you are not putting in your 50 or more hours a week (salary) or make mistakes. The caseloads are unreasonable and take away from adequate client attention. They discourage over time if you are hourly.
Many non profit agencies are bad about this. Arapahoe House is probably the worst. Every year they lose GOOD counselors and staff because of the micro managing and threatening people's jobs. They do not encourage breaks for lunch or taking any breaks at all. If you work in detox the only way to get a break is if you smoke.
Pros
okay benefits
Cons
micro-managing, believe in punishing employees instead of encouraging positive change
Difficult ours, working more than 40 hours per week on a regular basis without compensation.
Primary Therapist II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2014
On a typical day, the Primary Therapist II is required to work until all work is complete, a requirement that is acceptable; however, the amount of work that is required of a therapist is excessive as the therapists are given between forty and fifty clients, often more, and the requirement to fill out a great deal of paperwork for each client and contact multiple outside sources for each client daily. Not to do these things will get a therapist written up and likely fired for inability to do administrative duties appropriately.

Co-workers were great, interacting in a friendly and professional manner.
benefits
Cons
management requires too much of the employees and is insensitive to the needs of the employees.
Diversified on call positions kept the position challenging
On-call Milieu Counselor for Detox (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 15, 2013
I enjoyed Arapahoe House and the many different aspects of the agency that I was able to learn and experience. I began as an intern, hired as an on-call, then hired into a full time position as a counselor and van driver. The shift would begin with housekeeping, meals, medications, and continue with intakes, vital statistics, discharges, hospital and institution transportation, administration, medical care, and referrals for treatment and self sufficiency programs.
Pros
fast paced, varied job duties, different locations and shifts, compassion for the homeless and addicted.
Cons
detoxification includes mentally and physcially ill people, homeless and destitute with sad and deterimental outcomes.
Headed in the right direction
Employee (Current Employee) –  Denver MetroApril 5, 2013
Dealing with those seeking help for drug/alcohol addiction can always be stressful. Working with those that are in crises can always send a pleasant working day into chaos.

I highly enjoy working with the agency, through many changes and restructuring for the better, because of the ultimate goal, to created social change in the community in which I live.

It may not be the highest paid position, but no one works in a non profit for that reason. I like to think I am creating the change I want to see in the world, one client interaction at a time.
Pros
outstanding benefits
Cons
can be stressful at times
Postive Environment for clients, very client centered. Great place to start career due to trainings provided and great supervisors.
Addiction Tech II (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJune 21, 2015
Arapahoe House is where I started my career. They offer great trainings and benefits, which make up for yearly salary. It also provides a great way to network with people that work at different facilities. Each team member had a variety of skills and working knowledge. Arapahoe House is client centered and trains it's employees to be so.
Pros
Benefits, Trainings (CAC I & some level II) also first aid and QMAP
Cons
pay rate, short staff.
Think twice
Addiction Technician II (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 16, 2015
Overall it depends on the location you are working at. The workers are awesome clients are even better, BUT the management is terrible. They will sweep certain issues under the rug while addressing the minor issues (A dr note) that has no true concern to them. It is alot of micromanagement depending on where you are and who you work with. Self care is minimum you will get drained very fast with this company as an Addiction technician.
Good place to work for some, not so much for others...depends on position.
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 28, 2013
Work days and pace was typical of any place I have ever worked.

I learned to delegate a little bit more and realized that I could trust someone else to do a good job.

Management is not great.

co-workers are the reason I liked my job.

Dealing with management staff was the hardest part of the job, they were very unprofessional.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great co-workers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
unprofessional management.
Toxic, Unsupportive Environment
Outpatient (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 18, 2015
I worked for Arapahoe House for a number of years. The agency does not care about its staff: no raises, no recognition for a job well done, just more work to perform. The work load for an outpatient therapist is extremely high and continues to increase. Management is extremely disorganized and very demanding of its employees. In addition, there is a great deal of negativity and the environment can be hostile. It is a shame because the agency provides a needed service.
Helping people is my passion
Milieu Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 20, 2013
Intake,Discharge demograpics. Group's on addictions.
working with all different people Male ,Female,pregnant,with children,children,teenager's, Detox service's,

CAC certification ,and training,Clinical notes,assessments,

I loved this job out of all the jobs I have ever had , the most , but my contract was completed with them and I did not have the credentials to keep the job , but I have the experience.
Pros
everything about the job
Cons
unable to still be working there
The company was a bit inconsistent at times with policy and procedures but overall executed helpful programs.
Addictions Technician (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 27, 2014
A typical day included having group sessions; constant conflict resolution/ intervention; administering of meds; monitoring clients.
Pros
the company helped in paying for classes toward a drug addiction's counseling certificate.
Cons
it did not appear that the best interest of the employee's was often considered.
Friendly Enviroment
Program Assistant/Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 18, 2013
A typical day at work was assisting clients on enrolling them into a residential treatment facility. Assessments, checking in, a lot of documentation and signing paperwork. Co-workers great to work with, we had a really good team and helped eachother out. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients maintain their sobriety.
A very exciting job, worked with great coworkers
reliable and a very hard worker and fast learner (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 9, 2012
Over all a great job. Loved the hours and what I did. Learned a lot working in the detox centers. Hardest part of the job was stripping and waxing floors. I enjoyed every part of the job. Only down part was sometime the supperviosor was in her moods and she took it out on everyone.
Great learning for medical records
addiction technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 11, 2015
I learned that addiction is a devious disease and to treat people is difficult but worth it. It is difficult being able to manage all of the requirements and have another job and school, so you really need to be focused on only A house
Difficult and wonderful job
Family Therapist at New Directions for Families (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 6, 2015
Working with mothers and children is both wonderful and difficult. I enjoy doing play therapy, filial therapy, individual therapy, and family counseling. Addiction work brings it's own set of challenges, which I have enjoyed as well as been frustrated with.
• Supervised 90-120 clients in a residential setting
Clinical Case Manager I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 4, 2014
• Supervised 90-120 clients in a residential setting
• Completed the necessary reports for tracking/monitoring client movement/behaviors and client interactions
Performed daily functions to assist in maintaining the safety of staff/residents/the community/the facility
no money to spend
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 24, 2014
Non-profit, the people before me spent money on other things than the buildings, now the buildings are in really rough shape, it would be more cost effective to rebuild than to Band-Aid the issuses
Dedicated to helping the public
Health Information Tech (Former Employee) –  Thornton COFebruary 27, 2012
The agency is dedicated to helping the public, they are able to make treatment affordable for everyone, and offer a multitude of programs to fit most needs.
Pros
generous benefits
Cons
high employee turn over
inpatient and outpatient treatment services for adults and adolescents
Addiction Technician, On Call (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2015
- on-call and cross-trained in each agency program as Addiction Technician and Primary Therapist
- individual and group counseling sessions
Company developing better systems
Chief Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 4, 2013
Company was in transition to implement EHR system. In the process of developing electronic health records and doing so effectively.