Arapahoe House Employee Reviews

Ok first stepping stone
On-Call Primary Therapist II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2017
This job is ok if you are just starting to work on CAC or licensure, but that is it. Pay is low, Hours are long. Salary expect to work 60+ hours. No days off for stress.
Pros
clients are great.
Cons
everything else
Don't do it.
Addiction Technician (Current Employee) –  Thornton, CODecember 14, 2016
Upper management is not to be trusted. They spew lies about what to expect from the company by sugar coating everything. They expect you to work yourself to death, and don't care about your well being. Just like any for-profit that sucks the life out of you, only they're non-profit, so they don't pay decently while doing so.
Cons
No breaks, "working lunch", forced overtime.
Overworked, limited advancement opportunities, don't appreciate or try to keep good employees
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 2, 2016
This organization has a great mission and does good work in the community, however there are a lot of issues that must be worked out if it is going to attract and retain good clinical staff to carry out its mission. I enjoyed my position as a Primary Therapist initially. The company offered a decent starting salary and benefits without requiring licensure, so that was a plus. But the job quickly became unenjoyable after several major changes, significantly increased workloads with little to no notice, and borderline psychological abuse from leadership if you were not able to 'perform' and keep up with the ever increasing demands of the job. Also PTO became a fantasy as they complicated the process to get time off so people were getting burned out and frustrated very quickly. Very difficult to maintain work/life balance as most clinicians were pulling 45-60 hour work weeks regularly just to keep up with their workload. Overall this is a good potential start in the field to work toward licensure and you will learn a lot. But definitely not the type of place I would want to work at long term. Also little to no room for advancement or raises until you become licensed. Leadership doesn't seem to care about retaining good employees, which is a shame because they did have some good clinicians and they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Pros
Starting salary, benefits, coworkers, rewarding work
Cons
Unrealistic work loads, poor work/life balance, instability within leadership, frequent negative feedback from supervisors
Difficult Company to work for
Addiction Technician (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 19, 2016
This organization has sky high expectations for you with little compensation. Poor management in most areas. The facilities get bed bugs and you are expected to not tell clients and just send them on there way. Also to bad if you get them too expect no help from Arapahoe House. They take advantage of their employees and treat them terribly. I would only recommend them place if you want to suffer through and just get your CAC hours and move on like most people do
Horrible management. Terrible work environment.
Addiction tech (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 19, 2016
This is an environment that is punitive, retaliation and defeating. Management looks fur mistakes and ways to be critical while not supporting our encouraging employees who work hard.
Loved it there!
DETOX TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COOctober 13, 2016
Absolutely loved working with the clients through Arapahoe House. Coworkers were also amazing. The job itself is one of the best I have had. However, as a non-profit organization, the pay is very low.
Good people and fun
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 29, 2016
Do drug testing record the results fax or e-mail off results. Sign in patient for apt groups. Help the counselors with paper work. Order office supplies etc.The people that we worked with were fun got along the patient could be funny or a hand full. but all in all not a really bad place to work.
Drug and alcohol rehab facility
CHEF/COOK (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2016
The best part of this job was the benefits period. The worst part was dealing with sick,recovering,dirty clients. I learned to be patient or at leased tried to. I also served food to a rotating group of men who were in a drug and alcohol program who could be problematic or quite interesting. I had to deliver food to several properties in the metro area several times a week.
I made meals for clients and staff employing my considerable culinary skills and was the only cook with restaurant experience and a culinary certificate.
Pros
Good benefits. 401k, sick leave, regular hours, holiday pay.
Cons
Lots of infighting, non-professionalism, bad managment.
Withdrawal Managment
Addiction Technician II (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COAugust 22, 2016
Was the best atmosphere I worked in for this company. Residential is a hard place to work. When you ask for help from supervisors, it is not given. The co-workers are awesome.
Poor upper management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COAugust 11, 2016
This company is a black hole. Management cares only about money and profit. Counselors and addiction techs are way overlooked and treated like slaves. They are obligated to pay back any "Free CAC classes" that are offered unless they stay one year after the start of the class. In this way, many employees are locked into a commitment to stay for at least a year and a few months. Most employees take the job because of the "free CAC classes" which in can take up to three years to complete because they limit you to 6 classes per year.
Administration uses fear, control, and intimidation to micromanage employees. Midlevel supervisors who advocate for their staff suddenly disappear without explanation, sometimes there will be a cryptic email which states, "as of today....(so and so) is no longer employed at Arapahoe House. This contributes to the culture of silence and climate of fear.
Avoid this place at all costs. Nothing is worth the stress, and abuse you will experience in this organization.
Pros
Clients are great
Cons
Controling retaliatory management
Horrible management.
Midlevel supervisor (Former Employee) –  DenverAugust 4, 2016
Just plain poor leadership. Incompetent, disorganized, unsupportive upper management. Soul crushing hopeless place to work. Do not waste any energy here. They use good people up and throw them away when they're done. I have more than 16 years of experience, and anywhere else in the state pays better and treats employees better.
Pros
many locations
Cons
Defeating, oppressive environment
popularity contest
Bilingual counselor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 31, 2016
They are known for eliminating the Spanish population program abruptly without asking for the input of the clients. It is my understanding that clients must be listened to and taken into consideration their satisfaction with the services rendered. They eliminated the program within 2 weeks. They do not invest their time on finding qualified bilingual staff. The only other bilingual counselor was upset by one of the primary Spanish speaking therapist getting unjustifiably forced to resign that this person has decided to resign by middle of August. This company irresponsibly let one staff go without a credible reason to do so. Poor leadership at one of their outpatient clinics. The worst supervisor over there. Several spanish clients filed a complaint about his person in Aurora. I valued the peer counselors but not the leadership - one of the worst leaders ever, they are not invested on finding and retaining Spanish clinicians.
Pros
commuting distance, caring peer
Cons
offensive and hostile supervisor
A great place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 11, 2016
The work here is difficult but very rewarding. The hardest aspect about the job is trying to please all of the clients. They are all coming off substances and its difficult to attend to all of their needs. Employees are also easy to work with and are behind the company mission.
Stressful job with minimal pay
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 18, 2015
Great place to learn de-escalation skills, patience and about your own personal triggers. Learn about addictions and the impact on the brain and impulse control. Understaffing is an ongoing issue and leads to quick burn out.
Pros
They offer CAC classes
Cons
Benefits are expensive and the pay does not equal the job duties.
Think twice
Addiction Technician II (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 16, 2015
Overall it depends on the location you are working at. The workers are awesome clients are even better, BUT the management is terrible. They will sweep certain issues under the rug while addressing the minor issues (A dr note) that has no true concern to them. It is alot of micromanagement depending on where you are and who you work with. Self care is minimum you will get drained very fast with this company as an Addiction technician.
Great learning for medical records
addiction technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 11, 2015
I learned that addiction is a devious disease and to treat people is difficult but worth it. It is difficult being able to manage all of the requirements and have another job and school, so you really need to be focused on only A house
Sometimes it's necessary to live beyond the politics
Detox Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COAugust 10, 2015
This company was a good company to get one's foot in the door of the addiction counseling field. The classes offered were excellent. The trainers and the clinical supervisors were truly there to make sure that those who wanted to succeed did. I always came out of the training with a feeling that I could implement what I had learned.
The staff of the shift that I supervised were excellent in their ability to show empathy to the clients and in professionalism in their job responsibilities. I was honored and humbled to work with them.
From this job, I learned to get past prejudices that I was unaware that I held. I learned that I did not value people who were homeless as I should have. This changed! I also learned about the incredible amount of paperwork that is required by a supervisor.
A typical day began with counting of medication, and from there on the days were seldom "typical." There were shifts of nothing but discharges, and others of many intakes. There were medical emergencies, and days when nothing unusual happened. I learned about the importance of harm reduction over guidance into recovery. While harm reduction was of utmost importance, there were a few people who came through the doors who were ready to begin on the path to recovery. Both the realization of facilitating harm reduction, and of potential recovery came to hold equal importance.
The hardest day, and the most relieving day of this job was the day I decided that it was time to move on, and to continue my education.
Pros
Training, enightenment
Cons
Company politics
inpatient and outpatient treatment services for adults and adolescents
Addiction Technician, On Call (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2015
- on-call and cross-trained in each agency program as Addiction Technician and Primary Therapist
- individual and group counseling sessions
Postive Environment for clients, very client centered. Great place to start career due to trainings provided and great supervisors.
Addiction Tech II (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJune 21, 2015
Arapahoe House is where I started my career. They offer great trainings and benefits, which make up for yearly salary. It also provides a great way to network with people that work at different facilities. Each team member had a variety of skills and working knowledge. Arapahoe House is client centered and trains it's employees to be so.
Pros
Benefits, Trainings (CAC I & some level II) also first aid and QMAP
Cons
pay rate, short staff.
Toxic, Unsupportive Environment
Outpatient (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 18, 2015
I worked for Arapahoe House for a number of years. The agency does not care about its staff: no raises, no recognition for a job well done, just more work to perform. The work load for an outpatient therapist is extremely high and continues to increase. Management is extremely disorganized and very demanding of its employees. In addition, there is a great deal of negativity and the environment can be hostile. It is a shame because the agency provides a needed service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arapahoe House. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8