Arapahoe House Employee Reviews

Postive Environment for clients, very client centered. Great place to start career due to trainings provided and great supervisors.
Addiction Tech II (Current Employee), Thornton, COJune 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Trainings (CAC I & some level II) also first aid and QMAP
Cons: pay rate, short staff.
Arapahoe House is where I started my career. They offer great trainings and benefits, which make up for yearly salary. It also provides a great way to network with people that work at different facilities. Each team member had a variety of skills and working knowledge. Arapahoe House is client centered and trains it's employees to be so.
Toxic, Unsupportive Environment
Outpatient (Former Employee), Thornton, COApril 18, 2015
I worked for Arapahoe House for a number of years. The agency does not care about its staff: no raises, no recognition for a job well done, just more work to perform. The work load for an outpatient therapist is extremely high and continues to increase. Management is extremely disorganized and very demanding of its employees. In addition, there is a great deal of negativity and the environment can be hostile. It is a shame because the agency provides a needed service.
Difficult and wonderful job
Family Therapist at New Directions for Families (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 6, 2015
Working with mothers and children is both wonderful and difficult. I enjoy doing play therapy, filial therapy, individual therapy, and family counseling. Addiction work brings it's own set of challenges, which I have enjoyed as well as been frustrated with.
The company was a bit inconsistent at times with policy and procedures but overall executed helpful programs.
Addictions Technician (Former Employee), Thornton, COSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: the company helped in paying for classes toward a drug addiction's counseling certificate.
Cons: it did not appear that the best interest of the employee's was often considered.
A typical day included having group sessions; constant conflict resolution/ intervention; administering of meds; monitoring clients.
no money to spend
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Thornton, COJuly 24, 2014
Non-profit, the people before me spent money on other things than the buildings, now the buildings are in really rough shape, it would be more cost effective to rebuild than to Band-Aid the issuses
Difficult ours, working more than 40 hours per week on a regular basis without compensation.
Primary Therapist II (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 15, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management requires too much of the employees and is insensitive to the needs of the employees.
On a typical day, the Primary Therapist II is required to work until all work is complete, a requirement that is acceptable; however, the amount of work that is required of a therapist is excessive as the therapists are given between forty and fifty clients, often more, and the requirement to fill out a great deal of paperwork for each client and contact multiple outside sources for each client daily. Not to do these things will get a therapist written up and likely fired for inability to do administrative duties appropriately.

Co-workers were great, interacting in a friendly and professional manner.
• Supervised 90-120 clients in a residential setting
Clinical Case Manager I (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 4, 2014
• Supervised 90-120 clients in a residential setting
• Completed the necessary reports for tracking/monitoring client movement/behaviors and client interactions
Performed daily functions to assist in maintaining the safety of staff/residents/the community/the facility
Company developing better systems
Chief Information Officer (Former Employee), Thornton, CONovember 4, 2013
Company was in transition to implement EHR system. In the process of developing electronic health records and doing so effectively.
Helping people is my passion
Milieu Counselor I (Former Employee), Thornton, COJuly 20, 2013
Pros: everything about the job
Cons: unable to still be working there
Intake,Discharge demograpics. Group's on addictions.
working with all different people Male ,Female,pregnant,with children,children,teenager's, Detox service's,

CAC certification ,and training,Clinical notes,assessments,

I loved this job out of all the jobs I have ever had , the most , but my contract was completed with them and I did not have the credentials to keep the job , but I have the experience.
Diversified on call positions kept the position challenging
On-call Milieu Counselor for Detox (Former Employee), Thornton, COMay 15, 2013
Pros: fast paced, varied job duties, different locations and shifts, compassion for the homeless and addicted.
Cons: detoxification includes mentally and physcially ill people, homeless and destitute with sad and deterimental outcomes.
I enjoyed Arapahoe House and the many different aspects of the agency that I was able to learn and experience. I began as an intern, hired as an on-call, then hired into a full time position as a counselor and van driver. The shift would begin with housekeeping, meals, medications, and continue with intakes, vital statistics, discharges, hospital and institution transportation, administration, medical care, and referrals for treatment and self sufficiency programs.
Headed in the right direction
Employee (Current Employee), Denver MetroApril 5, 2013
Pros: outstanding benefits
Cons: can be stressful at times
Dealing with those seeking help for drug/alcohol addiction can always be stressful. Working with those that are in crises can always send a pleasant working day into chaos.

I highly enjoy working with the agency, through many changes and restructuring for the better, because of the ultimate goal, to created social change in the community in which I live.

It may not be the highest paid position, but no one works in a non profit for that reason. I like to think I am creating the change I want to see in the world, one client interaction at a time.
Good place to work for some, not so much for others...depends on position.
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee), Thornton, COJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: unprofessional management.
Work days and pace was typical of any place I have ever worked.

I learned to delegate a little bit more and realized that I could trust someone else to do a good job.

Management is not great.

co-workers are the reason I liked my job.

Dealing with management staff was the hardest part of the job, they were very unprofessional.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great co-workers.
Friendly Enviroment
Program Assistant/Referral Coordinator (Former Employee), Littleton, COJanuary 18, 2013
A typical day at work was assisting clients on enrolling them into a residential treatment facility. Assessments, checking in, a lot of documentation and signing paperwork. Co-workers great to work with, we had a really good team and helped eachother out. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients maintain their sobriety.
Okay for clients but not employees
Therapist (Former Employee), DenverAugust 16, 2012
Pros: okay benefits
Cons: micro-managing, believe in punishing employees instead of encouraging positive change
Arapahoe House is all about their clients and getting paid. The turnover rate in every area...outpatient, inpatient, detox....is VERY high. The management consistently comes down on staff and uses staff against each other to "tattle" if they believe you are not putting in your 50 or more hours a week (salary) or make mistakes. The caseloads are unreasonable and take away from adequate client attention. They discourage over time if you are hourly.
Many non profit agencies are bad about this. Arapahoe House is probably the worst. Every year they lose GOOD counselors and staff because of the micro managing and threatening people's jobs. They do not encourage breaks for lunch or taking any breaks at all. If you work in detox the only way to get a break is if you smoke.
A very exciting job, worked with great coworkers
reliable and a very hard worker and fast learner (Former Employee), Thornton, COMay 9, 2012
Over all a great job. Loved the hours and what I did. Learned a lot working in the detox centers. Hardest part of the job was stripping and waxing floors. I enjoyed every part of the job. Only down part was sometime the supperviosor was in her moods and she took it out on everyone.
Dedicated to helping the public
Health Information Tech (Former Employee), Thornton COFebruary 27, 2012
Pros: generous benefits
Cons: high employee turn over
The agency is dedicated to helping the public, they are able to make treatment affordable for everyone, and offer a multitude of programs to fit most needs.