Arbor Hospice Employee Reviews

Terrible management, knee jerk reactions
I would rather not (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 12, 2015
Management makes decisions without considering the long term consequences of their actions. Benefits are terrible.
Pros
helping families
Cons
see above
N/A
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management and employees. Great place to work, especially if you have the heart to work hospice care. The patients are amazing to work with.
I worked at Arbor Hospice for over 5 1/2 years where a lot changed.
Nurses Aide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 16, 2015
When I started the job in 2009,I enjoyed being there -business was good with the company rating high in SE Michigan, staff was happily
working with a healthy staffing ratio. But about 1 1/2 - 2 years later things began to change and did so steadily until present. Management made decisions to change staffing models and still expect the same level of care.. A wing was closed and in the process many staff were let go, some working there 15 years or more.

I will say, for the most part, that Nurses and Aides are drawn to this type of work. Dedication comes from a sense or "calIing". I experienced my co-workers in this way. The problem with management was a "disconnect" between them and us. We were not considered or consulted on many issues ie switching from 8 hr
to 12 hr shifts, having a dress code with everyone wearing scrubs with company logo on them.
Pros
the physical setting of the residence, the grounds and landscaping.
Cons
having badge to get in and out of the building--provided safety.
I love hospice but did not enjoy the corporate culture.
Social Work (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Loved my patients, my helpful co workers, and the day to day work environment. However, upper management was usually looking at the wrong issues and blaming the wrong people.
Pros
wonderful patients, co-workers and families ( generally)
Cons
tremendous amount of on call work required
Cooking
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Nice friendly environment, with good benefits. Self motivation a necessity. Cooked for 26 patients, and staff, Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Employees literally get along like family
Facility Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MiNovember 11, 2014
Complete work orders in the mornings. Projects, such as office moving, office building, standard up keep in the afternoon.
Pros
great people, great place to work.
Cons
unfortunately. losing business rapidly
Great Place to Work
Clinical Manager Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MINovember 9, 2014
Arbor is a great place to work, everyone cares about each other along with the mission, vision and values of the agency
Lots of opportunity to make an impact
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 10, 2014
Healthcare is always changing and so is this organization.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management turnover
enviroment which respect each other , strong mission to serve community
Hospice Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 6, 2014
.visiting patient at home, nursung home 1-2 times everyweek.

good experience about America medical system

volunteer coordinates assigned right patient

seeing when patients are hopeless state

when patients changed comfortably by my supports.
great place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 11, 2013
Awesome co-workers and management very caring and flexible. I enjoy working with all of them.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
communcation poor at times
Arbor Hospice
SCHEDULING COORDINATOR/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 22, 2013
I enjoyed my work at Arbor Hospice! I was a scheduling coordinator for the nurses and my office was right next to patient rooms, so I was able to really get to know the patients and families. I feel I grew as a person and employee during my time at Arbor Hospice. I learned to value life and realize how blessed I truly am!
Pros
wonderful staff, patients and families
Cons
emotionally draining at times, low salary
Rewarding work but not valued by management
RN (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 7, 2012
There is such a thing as a "hospice heart" and the majority of nurses and aides working there have one. They are great people and the work they do is awesome! However, the management does not value their employees. Over the years I was there I saw a frequent pattern of over-hiring and over-staffing then cancelling one or two nurses each shift. It was not uncommon for me to be cancelled two shifts a week! That's half a paycheck! Doesn't look like things have changed much. That kind of environment leads to competition for shifts and back-stabbing. The attitude of management is very aloof and there seems to be a lot of dissention withinin administration as there is a high turn-over rate. I recall the VP stating at a mtg,"There's not one of us here who can't easily be replaced." That pretty well sums it up.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
no job security, culture of mistrust and back-stabbing

Comment – June 10, 2013

We are sorry that was your experience at Arbor Hospice. The highest quality of care and support for our patients and families is always our highest priority, and we value all of our employees for providing that highest quality of care. Our management team works hard to balance staffing with the number of patients that need care, and we recognize that finding a balance is at times challenging. Thank you for recognizing the “hospice heart” of our staff.

Fantastic Place to Work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 22, 2012
Worked here for a little over 2 years. Had a fantastic supervisor, employees were friendly and caring in all departments. Loved working here - the only reason I am not there is because we had an extremely low census at the time and my hours were cut from FT to PT. Would most likely still be working there if my hours hadn't been cut. I highly recommend working for Arbor Hospice.

Comment – June 10, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We value all of our employees and appreciate their dedication to our patients and families. Please keep us in mind for future employment opportunities. As our census grows, we’re looking for mission-driven and compassionate individuals.

Amazing Employer
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ann ArborSeptember 28, 2012
I have worked for Arbor Hospice for almost 10 years and could not imagine working for another organization. People here care about each other and the mission more than any other healthcare organization I have worked for. The work is rewarding and the company is growing. I highly recommend this organization.

Comment – June 10, 2013

Thank you for recognizing all of the wonderful employees at Arbor Hospice! We work hard to recruit people who are passionate about our mission and dedicated to our patients and families.

Management Reorganization Demoralized Staff/Compromised Patient Care
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborMay 30, 2012
This hospice provided wonderful compassionate care to patients and felt like a warm, family environment for hard working staff. New management and its reorganization destroyed the environment of trust and care. Staff were laid off, fired, hours reduced periodically, across the board. This policy change created an environment of job insecurity, distrust and general confusion, ongoing. Staff could not devote full attention and care to patients so patient care suffered. This is the point when many of us who cared about quality patient care left this hospice to find other jobs. Long time staff also were laid off without understandable reasons.
Pros
caring for patients was rewarding.
Cons
new management policies are heartless and destructive.

Comment – July 18, 2012

Thank you so much for posting this. I was wondering why so many jobs were open. You saved me some heartache probably.

Comment – June 10, 2013

We are sorry this was your experience at Arbor Hospice. Please know that it was not our intention to create any confusion or distrust. Our employees are critical to serving our mission and we welcome your questions, concerns and suggestions, at any time.

An exciting place to company to work for.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 20, 2012
This job has excellant teamwork. The whole hospice team is wonderful.

Comment – June 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments!