Arbor Hospice Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work
On-Call Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 1, 2016
The management has no respect or , in the case of the SW lead and her boss, a complete lack of manners, appropriate behavior, or basic civility. They are also extremely abrasive, have anger management issues, and are impossible to talk to.
Overall, communication is non-existant between them, the employee and others, yet their arrogance is laughable. I was insulted by the "lead" on 2 occasions in front of numerous employees and paid a ridiculously low hourly rate.
HR has been led to believe that "non-profit" includes paying staff very low wages, which is ridiculous and untrue.
I am a highly educated and experienced professional, and always treated them with respect and courtesy, but this was a one way street.
I read management's replies to some of the reviews, often stating would never mistreat employees, however, they don't know or don't care about the employee, and just allow the lower/middle management do whatever they want.

Therefore, I have no respect for Arbor Hospice, and suggest that the Executive Director, who is intelligent and professional, maintain accountability from her subordinates from the top down, and help by investigating the many complaints by staff and doing. some "housekeeping" by cleaning out these hateful, stupidly arrogant, and horrible mid to low managers.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Low to mid management needs to be weeded out, and communication with employees regarding issues that directly affect their work is way past due
Environment where people genuinely care
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 21, 2015
Arbor Hospice can be at times an emotional challenging place to work given the scope of the business. The most difficult part of my job is balancing various work ethics. My co-workers are very supportive. I've learned that Not everyone has the same work ethic but the bottom line is that the patients come first. The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing the gratitude from families when we as a team have worked together to enable a family have their loved one die with peace and dignity and in comfort. Management as a whole supports the mission of Arbor Hospice and I feel they do an amazing job with what they have on their plate.
Pros
An employer with a mission that gives a sense of purpose
Cons
Dealing with families during a time of extreme emotion
Terrible management, knee jerk reactions
I would rather not (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 12, 2015
Management makes decisions without considering the long term consequences of their actions. Benefits are terrible.
Pros
helping families
Cons
see above
N/a
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management and employees. Great place to work, especially if you have the heart to work hospice care. The patients are amazing to work with.
I worked at Arbor Hospice for over 5 1/2 years where a lot changed.
Nurses Aide (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 16, 2015
When I started the job in 2009,I enjoyed being there -business was good with the company rating high in SE Michigan, staff was happily
working with a healthy staffing ratio. But about 1 1/2 - 2 years later things began to change and did so steadily until present. Management made decisions to change staffing models and still expect the same level of care.. A wing was closed and in the process many staff were let go, some working there 15 years or more.

I will say, for the most part, that Nurses and Aides are drawn to this type of work. Dedication comes from a sense or "calIing". I experienced my co-workers in this way. The problem with management was a "disconnect" between them and us. We were not considered or consulted on many issues ie switching from 8 hr
to 12 hr shifts, having a dress code with everyone wearing scrubs with company logo on them.
Pros
the physical setting of the residence, the grounds and landscaping.
Cons
having badge to get in and out of the building--provided safety.
Cooking
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Nice friendly environment, with good benefits. Self motivation a necessity. Cooked for 26 patients, and staff, Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Employees literally get along like family
Facility Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MiNovember 11, 2014
Complete work orders in the mornings. Projects, such as office moving, office building, standard up keep in the afternoon.
Pros
great people, great place to work.
Cons
unfortunately. losing business rapidly
Great Place to Work
Clinical Manager Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MINovember 9, 2014
Arbor is a great place to work, everyone cares about each other along with the mission, vision and values of the agency
Lots of opportunity to make an impact
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 10, 2014
Healthcare is always changing and so is this organization.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management turnover
enviroment which respect each other , strong mission to serve community
Hospice Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 6, 2014
.visiting patient at home, nursung home 1-2 times everyweek.

good experience about America medical system

volunteer coordinates assigned right patient

seeing when patients are hopeless state

when patients changed comfortably by my supports.
great place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 11, 2013
Awesome co-workers and management very caring and flexible. I enjoy working with all of them.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
communcation poor at times
Arbor Hospice
SCHEDULING COORDINATOR/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 22, 2013
I enjoyed my work at Arbor Hospice! I was a scheduling coordinator for the nurses and my office was right next to patient rooms, so I was able to really get to know the patients and families. I feel I grew as a person and employee during my time at Arbor Hospice. I learned to value life and realize how blessed I truly am!
Pros
wonderful staff, patients and families
Cons
emotionally draining at times, low salary
Rewarding work but not valued by management
RN (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 7, 2012
There is such a thing as a "hospice heart" and the majority of nurses and aides working there have one. They are great people and the work they do is awesome! However, the management does not value their employees. Over the years I was there I saw a frequent pattern of over-hiring and over-staffing then cancelling one or two nurses each shift. It was not uncommon for me to be cancelled two shifts a week! That's half a paycheck! Doesn't look like things have changed much. That kind of environment leads to competition for shifts and back-stabbing. The attitude of management is very aloof and there seems to be a lot of dissention withinin administration as there is a high turn-over rate. I recall the VP stating at a mtg,"There's not one of us here who can't easily be replaced." That pretty well sums it up.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
no job security, culture of mistrust and back-stabbing
Fantastic Place to Work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 22, 2012
Worked here for a little over 2 years. Had a fantastic supervisor, employees were friendly and caring in all departments. Loved working here - the only reason I am not there is because we had an extremely low census at the time and my hours were cut from FT to PT. Would most likely still be working there if my hours hadn't been cut. I highly recommend working for Arbor Hospice.
Amazing Employer
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ann ArborSeptember 28, 2012
I have worked for Arbor Hospice for almost 10 years and could not imagine working for another organization. People here care about each other and the mission more than any other healthcare organization I have worked for. The work is rewarding and the company is growing. I highly recommend this organization.
Management Reorganization Demoralized Staff/Compromised Patient Care
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborMay 30, 2012
This hospice provided wonderful compassionate care to patients and felt like a warm, family environment for hard working staff. New management and its reorganization destroyed the environment of trust and care. Staff were laid off, fired, hours reduced periodically, across the board. This policy change created an environment of job insecurity, distrust and general confusion, ongoing. Staff could not devote full attention and care to patients so patient care suffered. This is the point when many of us who cared about quality patient care left this hospice to find other jobs. Long time staff also were laid off without understandable reasons.
Pros
caring for patients was rewarding.
Cons
new management policies are heartless and destructive.
An exciting place to company to work for.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 20, 2012
This job has excellant teamwork. The whole hospice team is wonderful.

2.8