ARC of Monroe County Employee Reviews

ok place to work
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 25, 2017
Assist individuals to the bathroom, provide them with coffee, assist with activities according to their abilities. Assist any ADL's. When working at their house, we assist the individuals with showering, medications, shopping, cleaning, etc.
Pros
building bonds
Cons
not enough pay for the amount of work as a supervisor.
Keep a eye out
Direct support specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 12, 2017
Just always be mindful of how you talk and act around anyone because there is always someone looking for you to make a mistake. So keep you nose clean and everything will be ok
Great job if you have kids.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 8, 2017
Flexible job that is salaried and allows for a good work/ home life balance. Mostly Monday- Friday job, with occasional evening or weekend hours required.
fun population to work with
INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 8, 2017
A typical work day consist of checking on the individuals to make sure that their needs are met. I've leaved how to work with people with developmental disabilities. The direct management is great, but the new scheduling coordinators are rude with the exception of a few. The hardest part of my job is dealing with big headed "staff" or "supervisor". The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with the individuals
Pros
free lunch, and overtime
Great staff
Head of Classroom (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 10, 2017
I was not in this position long. I feel the ARC needed more resources to make changes in the program. Great people, good intentions
fun
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 26, 2016
individuals are appreciate what the staff do for them the little things go a long way

staff becomes like their family and they build meaningful relationships with them
Hated it
Individual Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brighton, NYNovember 27, 2016
The staff were there just for a check. Any complaint you would have you mine as well kept it to yourself because nothing would get done.
Arc Of Monroe County
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 13, 2016
The maintenance department for the Arc Of Monroe County is the worst department to work for. If you enjoy being put down and belittled this is the job for you. There is no team work at all and your supervisor with be breathing down your neck 24/7. If you make a simple mistake you will be yelled at by your supervisor. There is no room for advancement or raises. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great place to Work
Resident Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly environment. A job that gives you personal satisfaction on a daily basis. You work with person's with disabilities and to see them become independent and happy, make's it all worth it.
Pros
Earn paid time off with each pay period, free meals, great management
Cons
pay
great place to work
MEDICAID SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 28, 2016
Great co-works and leaders. A great job for those that love working for people. The salary is low, but the great benefits.
Productive, Excellent place to work.
Residential Service Specialist/Nursing (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 16, 2016
I distributed medication, and provided care for people with developmental/intellectual disabilities. I helped the residents establish a healthier independent way of life.
Pros
Great Healthcare Benefits
The Arc
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 15, 2016
work with individuals with developmental disabilities, the staff are helpful and so are the managers, the hours are flexiable
Pros
learnin g
great company to work for
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2016
enjoyable working environment working with individuals with developmental disabilities and helping them with their daily living skills.
Working w/the clients is most rewarding
Individual Support Specialist- Residential (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 20, 2015
I cook dinner for the clients & they enjoy that. I take client shopping. We do arts & crafts. I help them w/math skills & budgeting
Pros
Flexiable schedule
Cons
Working till 12a
Not a positive culture to grow
Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 21, 2015
Total culture change in the last 7 months not conducive to staff needs. Very little validation for staff who support the individuals with I/DD
Individuals are great - zero support from management
ISS (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 14, 2015
I enjoyed working here because of the individuals, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're a hard worker who wants to work with good people. A staff member I worked with stole from the residents and management looked the other way many times. I couldn't take it. The Arc wants you to keep your mouth shut and do your job.
Pros
The individuals
Cons
No support from management, terrible pay, lazy co-workers
Great place to work if you get better recognition and support
Individual Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 27, 2015
My typical day is:
-make coffee for individuals
-plan and prep for 2 activities for the day
-toilet and maintain supervision levels for each individual in the core room
-facilitate or assist with facilitating 1st group run in the core room
-observe behaviors and goal progression with each individual (~15-18 people) alongside my team
-maintain behavior plans as needed and check for safety of the individuals
-prepare food to specific safety guidelines (food cut to size, drinks thickened as needed, check cleanliness of food)
-maintain supervision guidelines and support levels per person
-facilitate or assist with facilitating 2nd group run in the core room
-toilet and prepare individuals for departure
-document on individual's progress in their goals

What I learned is that this job requires so much physical, emotional, and mental work and commitment. Physically assisting the individuals is the least of the worries at this job. Physically moving chairs, assisting each person with standing up, moving furniture, lifting and moving persons who have lost or are losing the abilities to move. It physically strains the body, even after you get the trainings to learn how to move people properly. Emotionally, this jobs can drain you because you become very invested in the individuals. You either learn to love them or learn to hate them, but either way, your emotions are invested and make the job very rewarding. Mentally, this jobs is exhausting because you have to be both clever and creative when planning and implementing. You must find ways to adapt "simple" activities to
  more... the skills and abilities of the individuals. You must also think fast when incidences happen or when individuals begin to need your support during the day.

Management in my specific room is incredible. I have heard various stories from other core rooms, but I love my room. My team leader is invested in the original goal of the organization and is also invested to helping her staff as much as she can. If you ask, she will do all in her power to assist you. She puts the task and job first before friendships so that everyone remembers that we are here as employees first and friendship is bonus. Management in the building as a whole is not as great. The HCs of the building are stretched thin so it is difficult for them to visit and participate with the individuals as much as we would like. The director is upsetting to many staff including myself because she does not show that she is invested in doing the job to support the adults with disabilities that we service. She has been with the building for many years but does not seem to know the individuals in the building as well as she could. Overall, I feel as if she values the individuals for their billing purposes rather than for their actual presence (as I have heard, that value was instilled by the CEO). She does well in settling disputes between employees passively and privately. However, she does not show staff whether or not she values staff for their work. On the other hand, she demands proof of worthiness. Staff rarely see her around the building and staff do not feel comfortable talking and bringing up problems to her for fear of it being recorded and used against them in any meetings. She also has been known to shoot down friendly suggestions from staff by becoming overly defensive of her own abilities and taking suggestions from staff as personal attacks on her own ability.

My coworkers are incredible. Despite the variety of personalities, the building overall has a nice atmosphere. My core room is friendly and we have a wonderful time working together. We keep the room moving and bounce off of each other's strengths and weaknesses. We are also not afraid to ask for help from each other because we work better as a team than as single entities. Even though rumors are spread as any workplace has it, you find a good number of people who do not play into it, and if you give it the cold shoulder, the rumors become obsolete and the day just flows that much better.

The hardest part of my job is knowing I might or might not have the full support of my director. The days are always going to be different and the hardness of the job is always going to change. However, knowing that I am just support and do not have as many tools at my disposal to help cope with individual behaviors or staff issues in and outside the room is tough. Knowing that my team leader has her hands tied in assisting me with my concerns due to the fears of addressing it with an HC or the director is very disconcerting and has become the hardest part of the job. The work place makes me feel as if I am only worth my paycheck some days. It's tough.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have become a vital part in the lives of the individuals I service. They remember my name, they talk to me when they can, and I have built a level of love and trust with my individuals because of the 3 commitments listed above (physical, emotional, mental). It would be the most difficult part of leaving my current job for.
Pros
benefits are okay, the individuals make it rewarding, the hours are awesome
Cons
restrictions as staff to individuals, pay is lowest of all agencies, fear of approaching building management, rumors
Nice place to work for
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 31, 2015
I enjoyed worked in the homes of disabled patients. I worked in the evenings and helped with making dinner and other events. Sometimes recreational activities allowed for dinner outings. I worked where there were no lifts so my job was fairly pleasant.
Pros
Went on alot of outings
Cons
working weekends and holidays pay wasn't great
I Enjoy Working Here
Individual Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 28, 2015
If you love helping people and making a difference in someones life this job can be truly rewarding. It is a lot of hard work, sometimes physically, mentally and even emotionally but worth it most of the time. My only critic is that the low pay is not fair compared to the amount of work required.
this place is the worst
Human resources (Former Employee) –  NYFebruary 26, 2015
This company SUCKS!!!!! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO A DOG ESPECIALLY COMM HAB EVERYBODY SUCKS. No hours the pay sucks and you have to use your car all the time.