Arc Of Onondaga Employee Reviews

Noble Mission, Extremely poor execution.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 22, 2017
Workload: Overwhelming from the second you're done with a useless orientation. (This is exacerbated by constant amazing staff turnover/ loss which impacts your already heavy case load.

Hours: Beware the phrase "and you'll be salaried and exempt". Long hours, early mornings, late evenings and call...

Compensation: Embarrassingly low.
Pros
Decent benefits when you are allowed to use them.
Cons
HR policies vary from person to person and situation to situation
Arc of Onondaga is by the book, across the board.
Assistant Manager of Plan Coordination (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 7, 2017
Arc of Onondaga is known for being the best at what they do. They do a lot of paperwork, but they do well with audits. A typical day for a Plan Coordinator is completing a lot of paper work. Plan Coordinators are responsible for maintaining the ISP book(s) and writing the goals, supports and safeguards for the individuals on their caseload. Attend ISP meetings, and writes up summaries of the meetings and summaries of the monthly activity of the individuals on their caseload. They are the people who know the individual the best.
The management is not too bad. The hardest part of the job is finding the place you fit in the best. The most enjoyable part of the job is the unconditional joy that they all share with you.
Good job
Vocational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 21, 2017
the company and it's mission are great! I worked in workshop setting and loved the population I worked with. Pay wasn't the greatest but great benefits.
don't work there
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 12, 2017
You have no rights as an employee. You can be beat up, bitten, slapped and your supervisors will not support you. All documented paper work is to be rose colored as to show client is well behaved and easy to be with.
If you would like to get hurt work here
Direct Support Personnel (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 5, 2017
they don't care for the safety of the workers, the person running the program i was in never followed the rules, there where never two people in my room it was only me and in my room there where sapost to be 2 at all times do to one person that would attack you that is how i got hurt and i was told it was my fault and the would not work with my limitation so i could stay working.
Rn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 14, 2017
Nursing Department is short staffed, making it stressful on Nurses to cover. I do enjoy working with individuals with developmental disabilities which provided balance for me while at work.

House managers were a wonderful support to the nurses.

Difficulty with the job, not having an office space or enough of office time to do medical paperwork.
Pros
Working with individuals with disabilities.
Cons
Long hours, no office space to store paperwork work.
Very productive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 9, 2017
Have to be a people person, it has pros and cons but I'm just ready to find another job they don't pay enough for the work you have to do . I been there for 2 years
Amazing Place Amazing People Simply Wonderful
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 14, 2017
If you want a place where you can grow from within Arc of Onondaga is the place you want to be, With job security intact you can't go wrong. Downside no raises but some incentives and not on their behalf you don't receive a raise because Arc would give it to you in heartbeat but the way the state is set up raises are far in between. All together you could still live comfortable with what they are paying you LONGEVITY IS THE KEY AND YOU GET THAT WITH THE ARC.
Pros
See Full Summary
Cons
See Full Summary
A great place
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 21, 2017
I like working at Arc it has great team work. But I would like a change to challenge myself to grow and learn different things. I'm a fast learner and a good team player.
enjoyed people i worked withE
Habilitation Program Manager/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 11, 2017
I had many different positions over the 19 years worked there.Difficult to say except to have a detailed schedule and list of things to follow through with each day.

What I learned: Many things that involved each job... too many to mention.

Management: I was in charge in some positions at Arc. Supervisors over me were approachable and fair.

Workplace Culture: Very busy and needed staff really needed to have patience and be very responsible for the individuals served.
Pros
People we served and over job
Cons
alot of staff turn over
Great Mission
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Agency has a great mission and vision to serve individuals with disabilities. Those served are a vulnerable population, so the employees have to be special to succeed in this field. Overall great place to work.
Difficult to work for.
Vocational Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 1, 2017
This was an extremely difficult company to work for. The computer work was the most difficult process I have ever been exposed to. This job is not for the novice/beginer.
Pros
Hard Work
Cons
Poor Pay. Minimum wage/a little better.
Non-profit agency serving individuals with developmental disabilities.
Vocational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 30, 2016
ARC provides vocational, community day habilitation and residential services. Very challenging, but rewarding and work environment. Treatment team includes, psychologist, rehabilitation counselors, social workers and other professionals in the field of rehabilitation.
Was very stressful
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 11, 2016
Alot of behavior to deal with a lot of stress helping mentally disabled adults with psychotic behaviors really stresses you out! 12 yrs of abuse from clients took it's toll!
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Stress
Fun place to work
Occupational Safety & Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 6, 2016
The most enjoyable part about the job was flexibility to make my own schedule and train employees at my own pace. Co- workers were very attentive to learning more about safety.
Pros
Safety Perks
Cons
Healthcare
Employee friendly work environment
Day Habilitation Plan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 28, 2016
Arc extends caring for people to its employees not just the individuals they serve. They work hard to educate and promote from within.
Pros
Arc gives lots of time off, because helps prevent caregiver burnout
Cons
Obviously, Not for profit has less pay
Good company for advancement
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 24, 2016
Some of the management is great to train under. The company is always looking to give opportunity to staff within the agency
Pros
Like to promote from within
Cons
Some of the recent changes have changed the atmosphere
No room for advancement with out proper connections
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 16, 2015
Rewarding position working with adults with Downs Syndrome. Allowing them to choose their schedules and achieve their daily and future goals.
Pros
Working with consumers
Cons
Working with unhappy employees
great work place
Assist individuals (Former Employee) –  SYRACUSE NYOctober 13, 2015
this is a job i will love forever. the people were great, staff got along, trips were amazing. assisting individuals become more independent.
Pros
getting to expirence great things
Cons
documentation was sometimes difficult
Productive work place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Provide hands on assistance instruction and guidance to all individuals at program. working with co-worker has its pros and cons but Im a team player. The hardest part of the job is trying to please your co-workers. I enjoy my job I love when I put a smile on the individuals face I feel my job is complete.
Pros
Enjoying the individuals
Cons
co-workers