ARC of Rockland Employee Reviews

horrible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYMay 14, 2017
the staff that are here at this company sucks. certain homes are very racist. they only want haitian people working there. and all they do is sit around all day and eat and watch tv. they don't take care of the individuals. and they stay talking their language and management doesn't nothing about it.
overall great work experience and personal reflections
Assist individuals (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYApril 11, 2017
● Helping individuals live more independently is critical to our vision of community inclusion
● Support therapeutic and behavioral plans in partnership with clinical staff to enhance the quality of life for those we support
● Provide assistance with daily activities such as meal preparation, personal hygiene, and medication administration
● Facilitate community involvement by accompanying individuals on outings in the community or providing transportation to work or other activities
● Support therapeutic and behavioral plans in partnership with clinical staff to enhance the quality of life for all individuals.

hardest part of the job is termination.
most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the positive impact I have received and given back.
flexible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYMarch 29, 2017
flexible work schedule you get the chance to meet and work with all types of people from different walks of life. managers try their best to work with you as an employee.
Mismanaged and poor commuincation
Community Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYFebruary 24, 2017
The individuals you work with is the only solace you have at this agency. Good co-workers are a dime a dozen. Most hires are unqualified and lack the compassion and skill set necessary to effectively perform their duties. Mismanaged and poor communication between management and staff.
Pros
Working with a diverse individuals
Cons
management, and under paid.
Good place to work for, excellent care
Residential Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Great Benefits, Good co-workers,company very up to date with procedures and overall good place to work, good management team in place.
Weak management leading to weak staff
Hard worker (Former Employee) –  Rockland County, NYJune 23, 2016
Some of the professional staff members (Speech Therapist) and so-called management (Practice Manager) are abusive to staff. They condone each others' horrible behavior. This company professes to be kind, loving, and patient to the developmentally-disabled population they serve while at the same time being secretive, jealous, and abusive, with little regard to the employees doing the hands-on work. Sadly, even when those at the top know of this behavior, they turn the other cheek, which is the same as condoning it. So glad I moved on. Do yourself a monumental favor and stay far away from this place. Whatever job you do, you are too good to work at Rockland ARC.
Pros
A few professional and pleasant people work there. Those attending the programs are wonderful
Cons
Rockland ARC has a foreboding atmosphere and a few people who work there fit right in
Good atmosphere but poor management
Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYSeptember 20, 2015
It's a rewarding career but difficult to survive financially due to low salaries, Management practices favoritism and there is a lack of advancement opportunities for those who choose not to conform.
Pros
Great schedule, wonderful clients
Cons
Poor management, low salary, lack of resources
Rewarding to work with individuals with Developmental Disabilities
Community Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pearl River, NYAugust 27, 2015
ARC is a rewarding place to work, and provides its employees with a sense of purpose. Employees are passionate and eager to help others and bring meaning to others lives.
Volunteer Services
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Pearl River, NYDecember 16, 2014
24/7 on call
great way to volunteer and provide services to the community
bad pay
Day Hab Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYDecember 7, 2014
bad work small pay, managers were good only 2 of them but good place to start off
benefits
Cons
small pay
Spiritually awakening
Residential Manager (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYOctober 3, 2014
Fullfilling, loving workplace, spiritually awakeing, to assit and help people have a better quality of life.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
days never goes as planned
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYAugust 18, 2014
Arc was a great company to work for. Though we worked under lots of pressure at times but the job itself was a learning experience. It was very rewarding to me working with disabled people and knowing that I have made a difference in their lives. I have worked with a fine management team and great co workers in this company.
Cons
Understaffed
Fun place to work management is unorganized
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYMarch 17, 2014
I loved my job and because of personal decisions I lost it rather not talk bad or good about the company.
Pros
free lunches and activities
Cons
Not a good human resources department
Bittersweet
Direct Care (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYMarch 16, 2014
Pros – The clients are the best thing about this agency. They really are wonderful to work with, and have taught me so much in the several years that I have been with the agency. There are some really great staff as well. People who are in it for the right reasons. People that care about the clients AS WELL AS their coworkers. There is a new executive director, which gives those of us who have a real issue with the way we are currently treated by management a glimmer of hope that the culture will improve before we just can't take it anymore and leave the work and the individuals that we love.

Cons – There probably isn't enough room in this box to impart the true evil of some of the upper management. They are both corrupt and verbally abusive to their staff. And SPITEFUL! The number of GREAT staff that I have seen leave because they were belittled or treated with malice is a shame. What I find most disheartening is that the ones that really suffer for their disgusting behavior are the clients. The culture is horrible because the lower level managers fear for their jobs and act as puppets to senior management, being forced to sacrifice their own ideas and values (required in order to get a promotion of any kind), so ultimately those few senior managers who lead by power hungry intimidation control all.

Advice to Senior Management – ARC of Rockland's reputation in the community is lackluster at best, and there is a reason for that. When people leave, they talk about their experience to others in the community. Let's make this a great place to work again. Forge a better relationship
  more... with your employees and therefore the community. Exit interviews would be a great way for the new exec to learn why people feel they have to leave. Also, there are so many intelligent and creative people who work for you. They all have ideas about how to raise funds, and make this a better place for the people we serve. USE THEM! To make everyone feel as though we were a team working for a common goal would make a world of difference. Maybe then people would want IN rather than be desperate to find a way out. And last but not least, be NICE to your staff. We deserve it, and so do the people you serve.  less
Pros
The Individuals we serve, decent benefits
Cons
Excessive Micromanagement, complete lack of appreciation for staff, more concerned with looking good than actually providing good services and supports to individuals.
Fun place With a large pool in the backyard .
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Airmont, NYJuly 1, 2013
The consumers always make u feel like you are at home , The manager is always there to help when you're in need, the most enjoyable part of the job is when you go out with the consumers you get to have fun together with them.
lack of values and vision
Hard working former employee (Former Employee) –  congers, nyApril 10, 2013
ARC of working is not an organization that I would recommend anyone to work for. They care nothing about their employees and do not even have a clear mission statement that they stand for. If you do decide to work for this ignorant company make sure you use it as a stepping stone to get to better places in your career. Other than that they have no value or vision when it comes to making a positive impression on the community.
Pros
the clients they serve
Cons
everything else
My coworkers were the most, caring people I have ever worked with.
Head of Group: Daycare (Former Employee) –  Congers, NYFebruary 25, 2013
I learned so much at this company. Monthly trainings were taught by true professionals and always related to your work.
ARC of Rockland
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Congers, NYJuly 7, 2012
ARC of Rockland is a very nice company to work for. A day at work consists of taking care of clients and their needs. I learned alot of patience and understanding for others through working through this company. My co-workers are a team and work very hard.
Pros
nice staff, benefits
Cons
no day shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARC of Rockland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6