ARC of Rockland

ARC of Rockland Employer Reviews

A fun place to work
Resident Counselor (Former Employee), Rockland, NYSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: lots of laughter
Cons: no breaks, aften get stuck
I Provided complete care to residents in a group home with dual diagnosis in psychiatric and developmental delay. At times the work load was hard. The seizures were the hardest part of the job because it was so sad to watch.
PRODUCTIVE
Teacher (Former Employee), Congers, NYAugust 18, 2014
Cons: understaffed
ARC WAS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR. THOUGH WE WORKED UNDER LOTS OF PRESSURE AT TIMES BUT THE JOB ITSELF WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE. IT WAS VERY REWARDING TO ME WORKING WITH DISABLED PEOPLE AND KNOWING THAT I HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIVES. I HAVE WORKED WITH A FINE MANAGEMENT TEAM AND GREAT CO WORKERS IN THIS COMPANY.
Fun place to work management is unorganized
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee), Congers, NYMarch 17, 2014
Pros: free lunches and activities
Cons: not a good human resources department
I loved my job and because of personal decisions I lost it rather not talk bad or good about the company.
Bittersweet
Direct Care (Current Employee), Congers, NYMarch 16, 2014
Pros: the individuals we serve, decent benefits
Cons: excessive micromanagement, complete lack of appreciation for staff, more concerned with looking good than actually providing good services and supports to individuals.
Pros – The clients are the best thing about this agency. They really are wonderful to work with, and have taught me so much in the several years that I have been with the agency. There are some really great staff as well. People who are in it for the right reasons. People that care about the clients AS WELL AS their coworkers. There is a new executive – more... director, which gives those of us who have a real issue with the way we are currently treated by management a glimmer of hope that the culture will improve before we just can't take it anymore and leave the work and the individuals that we love.

Cons – There probably isn't enough room in this box to impart the true evil of some of the upper management. They are both corrupt and verbally abusive to their staff. And SPITEFUL! The number of GREAT staff that I have seen leave because they were belittled or treated with malice is a shame. What I find most disheartening is that the ones that really suffer for their disgusting behavior are the clients. The culture is horrible because the lower level managers fear for their jobs and act as puppets to senior management, being forced to sacrifice their own ideas and values (required in order to get a promotion of any kind), so ultimately those few senior managers who lead by power hungry intimidation control all.

Advice to Senior Management – ARC of Rockland's reputation in the community is lackluster at best, and there is a reason for that. When people leave, they talk about their experience to others in the community. Let's make this a great place to work again. Forge a better relationship with your employees and therefore the community. Exit interviews would be a great way for the new exec to learn why people feel they have to leave. Also, there are so many intelligent and creative people who work for you. They all have ideas about how to raise funds, and make this a better place for the people we serve. USE THEM! To make everyone feel as though we were a team working for a common goal would make a world of difference. Maybe then people would want IN rather than be desperate to find a way out. And last but not least, be NICE to your staff. We deserve it, and so do the people you serve. – less
Fun place With a large pool in the backyard .
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Airmont, NYJuly 1, 2013
The consumers always make u feel like you are at home , The manager is always there to help when you're in need, the most enjoyable part of the job is when you go out with the consumers you get to have fun together with them.
lack of values and vision
Hard working former employee (Former Employee), congers, nyApril 10, 2013
Pros: the clients they serve
Cons: everything else
ARC of working is not an organization that I would recommend anyone to work for. They care nothing about their employees and do not even have a clear mission statement that they stand for. If you do decide to work for this ignorant company make sure you use it as a stepping stone to get to better places in your career. Other than that they have no value – more... or vision when it comes to making a positive impression on the community. – less
My coworkers were the most, caring people I have ever worked with.
Head of Group: Daycare (Former Employee), Congers, NYFebruary 25, 2013
I learned so much at this company. Monthly trainings were taught by true professionals and always related to your work.
Verbally abusive boss
Job coach (Former Employee), Pearl River NYFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: the clients are wonderful
Cons: secrecy, and bosses who did npt care about arc rules.
On my third day at ARC careers as a job coach in Pearl River my boss started screaming at client for no reason. Well he thought he had a reason but he didn't. I witnessed him yelling at clients many times in the 4 months I was there. Staff for the most part didn't care or looked away or emulated him.Every single person there saw it and did nothing.I – more... was shocked and outraged. I cried every night as I did not want to have to report my boss on my third day.I loved the job so much and the clients with all my heart. Of course once I told the truth I was let go. I also met a girl in the adjacent building who told me when she went over her bosses head about abuse, she was transferred against her will .I'm still shocked that this goes on.I guess I was very naive.I also witnessed blatant Medicaid fraud.Investigations have been done, but if anyone admits it, they will be in trouble for NOT reporting it.I've written everyone I can think of.I hope they have changed – less
Ity was a decent place to work
Job Coach (Former Employee), Pearl River, NYJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: the pros of the job were that i made alot of new friends
Cons: cons were most of the time, lunch breaks were not possible.
ARC was a decent place to work for, although at times the balance between work and personal time was out of balance. Work day could vary with hours, I taught clients how to find jobs and maintain their job.
ARC of Rockland
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Congers, NYJuly 7, 2012
Pros: nice staff, benefits
Cons: no day shifts
ARC of Rockland is a very nice company to work for. A day at work consists of taking care of clients and their needs. I learned alot of patience and understanding for others through working through this company. My co-workers are a team and work very hard.