ARCADIS Employee Reviews in United States

Poor Management and Morale
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 8, 2016
Poor company to work with. I was with the firm for many, many years and it has gone down hill since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The merger was poorly managed, the leadership team let the smaller purchased company come in and change how a well managed company was run and it FAILED. Morale in most offices is very bad, there is no loyalty, management talks of a "transformation plan" that has falsified KPI's. Bonuses have gone down, down, down every year since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The hires they make into leadership and business development roles are very poorly vetted, business revenue is not improving year after year. I think this company needs to start from scratch and get back to basics and should start by getting rid of all of the Malcolm Pirnie employees still left in the firm.
Pros
Work life balance, ability to work flex hours. That is about it.
Cons
Too many to name.
Don't expect loyalty
Senior Enviromental Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2016
After 23 years of my service, Arcadis fired me while I was out on disability recovering from my liver transplant. They then started to force out any senior members who had 20+ years of experience. This was a cost saving measure to purge all the high end salaries. Many of the furloughed employees were from the original G & M firm who helped Arcadis grow from 10,000 to over 55,000 people. We in the Southeast provided most of the revenues to finance their expansion. We were rewarded with pink slips. My advice is to join the company for experience and leave for a better job as soon as you can. Loyalty is not a word in the Arcadis vocabulary.
Cons
No loyalty
Get a chance to see the Country
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL (Home Office) 100% travelJune 8, 2016
My overall experience has been good. I like what I do, and where I do it, I love the fact that I serve a purpose to the American public. Management has been very helpful in helping to adjust to the different areas and scope of work. The hardest part about this job is the travel. I loved it at first. Now I just need to be at home more with my family. My co-workers have all on the most part been one of the best parts to my job. Most of them are in the same boat as I. This make relationships easy to relate to.
Pros
Money. Learn new things
Cons
Away from my family
Escape the sinking ship
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2016
Huge turnover. Management is horrible with money, so they are constantly looking for younger people who will do the same work for a fraction of a good wage. Laid off after thirty years of loyalty and hard work because their poor work can't maintain clients. It used to be a good company but they fired all of the people who made the company work. Good luck in this shrinking industry.
Feels Like A Sinking Ship
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMarch 8, 2016
(This is my experience from someone who has had multiple years of field work with ARCADIS)

Typical engineering company. Nothing very special about the way it treats its employees. Promotes a culture of self promotion and not actual hard work to move up the chain.

Good way to start a career but I would not recommend staying with this company once you have experience. Some people get lucky and find a nice niche but they can get eliminated after a few years depending on how bad the company is doing.

Horrible communication between office staff and field staff. Never got to a job site where the ARCADIS office staff came up with an efficient and common sense plan. There is no emphasis on field-office staff communication. Probably would save millions of dollars for ARCADIS-US if they did. That is no exaggeration I personally have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars of waste because of this lack of communication.

The communication problem is also exacerbated by the current policy of ARCADIS to hire the youngest and cheapest employees to do the field work.

There is some positives though. Can work with some experienced people that have stayed with the company and actually learn a few things. Currently ARCADIS is on a rampage to get rid of experienced people though.

There is no guarantee of having a job from year to year and it will try and use you for every dollar that it gives you. I would view ARCADIS as a good place to get training and that's it.

Like I said earlier get experience and then get out.
Pros
Good place to start a career
Cons
Does not put money into their employees
Life as a Project Engineer/Health and Safety Environmental Manager/ Project Controls
Health and Safety Environmental Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
- Work for this company for 8 yrs since I was 19.
- Company is willing to teach and groom new trainees
- Friendly co-workers
- Not doing redundant work every week
- Hardest part about the job was learning new, tedious, and critical work that needed to be completed as soon as possible.
- The most enjoyable part about the job was learning new and intense work on a daily basis.
Pros
Co-workers, new work every day, and nice work staff
Cons
ending of contracts
Overall, a good place to work
Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Project Managers from all over the US and Canada as well as Brazil, Chile, & Peru.

I enjoyed the challenges of the larger projects.

I learned the practices and procedures of accounting
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Advancement, Reviews, Supervisors
I was a contract only, so my short term is not valid
INVOICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2016
The position was not advertised as the actual position required. My expertise was in Project Accounting, not Governmental Contract Accounting.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Limited Training
Get ready to work long hours with little recognition
Construction Mgmt. (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2012
Company has grown tremendously through acquisitions, with little due diligence,resulting in varied mgmt styles being interwined. The PM/CM division is run by executives who have little mgmt or leadership skills. The division Pres has made some of the most ridiculous hiring/promoting decisions ever. He needs to read a book on mgmt 101. Lost alot of good people, who refused to work for incompetent people in leadership roles above them. Arcadis lays off alot of people...all about the bottom dollar, while keeping and promoting people who should have been fired long ago for incompetence. Get ready to work on mandatory training at home b/c they won't pay you for it...it's not billable time, but you have to do it.
Pros
benefits, flexwork week
Cons
executive leadership (pm/cm division), acquisitions
my day changes each day
SR MANAGER, PROGRAM CONTROLS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2016
great opportunity to learn and for professional development, My co-workers are team spirited and work well together.
Work varies based on client projects
Geologist I (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 22, 2015
Communication is very poor. As a new employee the burden is shifted to me to figure out what projects I'm on or I am notified less than a day before that I'm on a job. We're supposed to have project meetings which I'm never involved in, but am expected to know what was discussed. Finally, the way expense reporting and billable hours work is horrible. Lets just say that if I work over 40 hours, but 8 of those hours were to overhead and not a project well I just wont get paid for those 8 hours. At least they are flexible with career paths and letting you decide what type of work you'd like to learn.
Not a bad entry level job but professional development is stagnant.
GIS Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 26, 2014
Provide support for infrastructure, environmental, and water divisions. I've learned many different extensions and applications of GIS software, as well as completed many tasks in the field using my GIS knowledge. I work in a small group of 3-5 people. Hardest part of the job is not being challenged to my ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I have more work than I can possibly do and that gives me an opportunity to be as efficient and accurate as possible to get the work delivered in a timely fashion.
Pros
flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
no leadership, no advancement, and little work to complete.
So So Company to work for
Project engineer (Current Employee) –  New YorkMarch 12, 2012
I would not recommend working for Arcadis-US. While they talk the talk about creating a friendly work environment, their bottom line means more than happy employees. You are expected to perform unbillable work on own time, i.e. training, proposals. Create unrealistic expectations for productivity for employees with little input from those employees. I personally believe they do this in order to minimize yearly raises. Keeping good employees happy matters less than the bottom line. If they spent less money on overhead people for meaningless programs/initiatives/etc. and gave some of that out in raises, they would have happier employees.
International consultant company with average ratings
Health and Safety Supervisor/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2015
The most difficult part of the job is the heavy focus on billabilty and finding work for one's self. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with new clients and other contractors on a daily basis.
Pros
knowledgeable employees, big business clients
Cons
below average compensation, little focus on professional development, difficult to advance, poor mid-level managment
ARCADIS is a horrible company
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COSeptember 24, 2013
A typical day at work is watching the managers rake in the big dollars, while basically whipping the small people into shape. Deplorable working conditions. I learned that no matter how hard they try and knock you down, you always get back up and plow forward. Co-workers, for the most part, were great. A few back stabbers, but they're paying for their ways now. The hardest part of the job was getting recognized because of a boss that had to be the center of attention and hoard all the glory. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I left the company.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management is top heavy and very big on themselves and nobody else
Arcadis is not a good bet
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Not givenDecember 29, 2013
I'd recommend staying away from Arcadis (or ARCADIS as they insist it is spelled). My office, the largest in one of the top 10 metro areas, has lost at least 25% of its personnel in the last six months. Some have left on their own, others let go or 'furloughed'. Specifically, the Environmental remediation and industrial hygiene divisions seem to be bleeding personnel. Yet, they look for replacements for people who were let go because of slowing work.

Arcadis is the result of many mergers and the company is still not integrated. In particular, there are overlapping, redundant databases. Being a larger company, there is an extra 2 to 4 layers of management which add to client costs and makes it harder to put together a competitive bid.

Arcadis does manage to hire a good percentage of women engineers and scientists, perhaps being the company that is closest to gender parity in this type of business. That is not easy.

In general, a job seeker should be very wary of Arcadis.
Pros
appears to be a diverse workplace, some big company benefits
Cons
scattered it platforms, top-heavy management, losing many qualified personnel
Stay away from ARCADIS
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2015
Where to begin? From the beginning a lot of promises were said but never followed up on. Me and fellow colleagues helped build up a new process for a project we were collaborating on globally and were literally used and abused. Once the project was completed management dropped our hours from 50% for example and expect people to stay busy of be threatened with layoff. A lot of blackmailing goes on if you are not of the big boys club or one of their favorites. A lot of favoritism occurs and management likes to speak to people like dirt. Also they expect you to work 10 hours without an outside social life. They also treat women like its 1950. If you are married and have children they make you feel guilty about having to leave work after 8 hours. It is like working on a slave ship for very low pay, I would avoid this company by all means.
Pros
you can sometimes work from home
Cons
This place sucks
Good Company
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 6, 2015
Overall, ARCADIS is a good company to work for. The company provides good pay and benefits and career progression. Being such a large company, movement throughout the U.S. is easily achievable.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
hard to balance time with personal life.
No consistency, no growth or advancement
Office Admin (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2015
You'll feel like a little fish in a big boy club world. Employees work extra hard, just to obtain a 1.5-2.5% raise..........
Pros
cleaning the world
Cons
years to get promoted, raises are a joke
Top Heavy in upper management
Design Engineer, Level I (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaMay 6, 2014
Great company/place to work...if you can keep your job... This company gobbles up local companies... demands professionalism... has a good work atmosphere.. keeps things positive. Then the budget restraints caused the BIG DOGS to eat their young... they fight over who to lay off, while saving their big salary jobs...

I loved the job, 95% of the people... the upper level management only cared about the numbers. - Very Corporate.

2.6