JOB TITLE: Surgery Scheduler
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Candidate must be extremely organized to work in a very busy cardiology clinic. Responsible for obtaining authorization for surgeries and tests. Schedule surgeries at multiple locations. Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
1. Obtain authorization for surgeries and diagnostic tests by contacting appropriate insurance carriers.
2. Schedule surgeries at various locations according to provider protocols.
3. Book, coordinate and reschedule patient appointments in regards to surgeries or tests.
4. Contact referring physician offices regarding referrals.
5. Verifies necessary demographic and clinical information in computer system.
6. Maintains and updates current information on physicians’ schedules, ensuring that patients are scheduled properly.
7. Creates a positive customer service atmosphere and interacts professionally with patients and staff.
8. Maintains high morale and good relations. Shows initiative and willingness to learn and adapt to change.
9. Checks voice mail messages and responds to them daily (morning and afternoon).
10. Uses E-mail often to complete work and communicate with organization.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: One year work experience preferably in an orthopedic setting. Knowledge of medical terminology and coding. Word processing and computer experience is preferred.
1. Knowledge of business office procedures.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology and coding.
3. Knowledge of insurances and requirements.
4. Knowledge of how to use office equipment including phone, computer, printer, fax machine and scanner.
5. Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques.
1. Skill in using office equipment satisfactorily and handling paperwork/ filing adequately.
2. Skill in answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
1. Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the phone and establish/ maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, physicians, staff and other customers.
2. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
3. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
4. Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
5. Ability to schedule time and organize work sequentially and logically.
ENVIRONMENTAL/ WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation. Sitting for 7-8 hours/day. Must be able to view computer screens for long periods. Occasional stress related to workload and customers with problems.