FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
REPORTS TO: Clinical Manager
POSITION NARRATIVE: The Patient Service Representative is responsible for greeting & signing in patients, answering phones, and inputting patient information. The PSR will schedule & confirm appointments, ensure accurate patient insurance information, explain billing procedures, collect co-payments, prepare/file patient charts, and process medical records.
- Greets and signs in patients when they arrive to the office.
- Has patient complete required forms, obtains necessary signatures, and accurately enters the patient information for registration.
- Ensures all insurance information is obtained and verified. Scans insurance card.
- Maintains daily scheduling and confirmation of patient appointments.
- Responds to heavy volume of incoming calls for appointments and other requests.
- Collects patient insurance co-payments, and explains credit policy/billing procedures, and patient financial responsibility.
- Prepares and files patient charts in appointment time order prior to patients arrival, and before the next days appointments.
- Balances daily monies and receipts, and ensures accuracy of fee tickets & batch summaries.
The above is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of essential functions for the job described, but rather a general description of some of the responsibilities necessary to carry out the duties of this position.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Skills: Strong customer service, written & verbal communication, and computer skills. Type 35 wpm.
- Knowledge: Working knowledge of the health care environment and insurance billing process.
- Abilities: Ability to interact with all levels of medical staff, and be a team player. Must be able to multi-task, handle stressful situations, and work in a fast-pace, high volume work environment.
REQUIREMENTS: High School diploma or GED, and minimum 6 months front office/customer service experience required, preferably in Healthcare. Working knowledge of contracted insurances, patient benefits, and third party requirements preferred. Experience answering phones, typing 35wpm, and computer proficiency required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A more detailed analysis of the physical requirements is available upon request.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit using wrist deviation, and hand/wrist repetition completing data entry. The employee must occasionally stand, walk, twist, bend, squat, kneel, reach, grasp, pull (charts), push (carts), lift up to 25lbs and use manual dexterity. Specific vision required by the job includes close eye work, normal color discrimination, and normal hearing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Arch Health Partners maintains a drug free workplace, and smoke free working environment. Employees are required to successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen. Smoking is not permitted in or around AHP offices.
This position works in a well-lit, air-conditioned, busy clinical setting with moderate noise level. This position is occasionally exposed to hazardous materials, non-ionizing radiation, and loud/repetitive noise. Personal protective equipment is not required.