Archdiocese of Chicago Employee Reviews

Good foot in the door.
Tier 2 Computer Technician/ Help desk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2016
The Company isn't bad to work for. They are willing to work around your scheduled. Don't expect good compensation for your effort at work. Nor should you expect to get anything done quickly. Management is very lacking in ability to keep up with work load.
Pros
lax policy and willing to work around your schedule.
Cons
very low pay, Lack of opportunity.
Good people with great work ethics.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2016
It's a quiet and calm place to work. When management or co-workers get together to talk, ideas are generated. Some discussions can get loud, but the laughter is usually louder.
Pros
Good people, work load is not heavy
Cons
Location and only part-time
Development Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2016
Overall, perfect place to work. Great benefits, time off, heath ins. Biggest downside is low wages and low raises. Excellent mgmt and some departments have professional development budgets. Great people to work with however be aware that advancement is quite limited.
It was all fun and hard work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2016
Preparing the food and having it ready by 8:30 am for the children and staffing I got along with the workers just find the hardest part is closing I enjoyed my by getting it done
Pros
Loving my work
Family oriented environment
Educator (Former Employee) –  Southside of ChicagoAugust 9, 2016
It was an environment that was warm and friendly. Parents really partner with the educators. Teachers collabote and strong relationships are evident. Everyone worked together for the success of the attending students.
Pros
Smaller class size
Cons
Tuition is costly for many
Difficult environment with little room for growth
K-8 Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was of course working with the kids. I enjoy working with learners of all ages, but a job so demanding requires support that was not present in this situation.
Good family life balance
Advancement and Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2015
Lower on the pay scale than most educational careers, but more stable and understanding of family life. Great benefits package.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Lower pay scale than most education careers
Work Study
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2013
My typical day at work was assisting other administrative assistants with assignments, answering multiple phone lines, ordering office supplies, setting up training class attendees, collecting payments and updating spreadsheets for catholic schools in all districts. I learned how to transfer Excel files to CD disks. Management was ok, but had no regard to time. Most of my co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I am a workaholic and therefore dedicated to completing projects. I was constantly given complex projects at the last minute whch management knew could not be completed within the allotted daily working hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was the completion of complex projects and the satisfaction of a job well done.
Pros
Christmas parties and having a 2 weeks off for the Christmas holiday
Cons
Nice place to begin my career
First Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2012
It was a great place to begin my career as a teacher, as a lifelong learner and someone who would reach many children on multiple levels. It was am amazing experience. I made new friends, learned from my mistakes, grew in professional life, as well in my personal life. The staff at Queen of the Universe were the best. They were always there for me, especially when my father passed away. I will never forget those wonderful teachers. The hardest part of my job was saying good-bye after 5 years teaching in a Catholic school. I needed to move on financially- couldn't make it on that salary as a single woman. The most enjoyable part of my job were the children that I still remember today after all those years. They helped my become the teacher I am today. They gave me the respect I needed to be able to reach kids not only educational but as the future generation of our world.
Pros
wonderful teachers to work with
Cons
horrible salary
Fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2015
This job was great. co-workers were great to work with. great benefits. got laid off for lack of work. great location to get to work. and the job was easy.
Itinerent teacher
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
I have 10 students at two different schools. The students varied in age and ability. This required substantial lesson planning. The students were wonderful. My teaching partner was amazing. I learned more from her than from some of the conferences I have been attended.

The hard part about this job is the traveling and paying for the gas myself. I also had to worry about funding. If the funding ran out then we were done working. There was no benefits.
Pros
Co-worker, students
Cons
traveling to different schools, worry of the funding running out
Archdiocese of Chicago
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2014
I was very excited about working for the Archdiocese of Chicago for so many years.
A typical day at work consisted of me arriving at least thirty minutes before my start time. That way, i would have time to view my lesson plans, gather supplemental materials, and think about alternative ways of conveying concepts to my learners.
I learned so much from management from the standpoint of completing tasks on time , having a passion for facilitating learning, and properly assessing my learners.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with non-supportive and uncooperative parents and at some times , difficult administrators..
The most enjoyable part of teaching is seeing growth in my learners daily, weekly, and at the end of the academic year.
Pros
Being allowed to teach for thirty years.
Cons
Being let go in June 2014 for not meeting certification requirements
Caring atmosphere for all people
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2015
I was an administrative assistant for the Research & Planning Department. I took care of the day-to day issues. I also drew boundary maps of parishes and created spreadsheets of data about parishes. I was in a small, 4 person, department and we all worked well together to get the data collected and out to the parishes. The hardest part of the job was collecting the data from all 365 of the parishes. The most enjoyable was when I collected 100% of the date from the parishes and then putting that data in a readable form.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Salary
It was great to teach, and share my beliefs and values with our next generation of leaders.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Vincent Ferrer School, River Forest, IllinoisAugust 22, 2012
I have taught self-contained classrooms.
I have also taught core subjects(mathematics, science, social studies,...) to 5th-8th grade classes.
You learn to be over-prepared, and to be prepared for last minute schedule changes.
Administrators and fellow teachers usually work well with each other
and share common goals.
With the exception of the administrator in my final year, they have actively promoted professional development.
The hardest part is adapting your lessons and teaching strategies to different learning abilities and different learning modalities (eg. kinestetic, auditory, visual,...)
The most enjoyable part is working with the kids, and sparking their creativity by using things that interest them.
Pros
working with kids, having the summer off.
Cons
low pay, extensive preparation time, no job security.
Great central location
Foreign Language Instructor, (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
Because of the many schools that make up the Archdiocese of Chicago, the work environments vary with the locations. However, Before St. Columbanus School vanished into oblivion, it was one of the BEST places to work in the Archdiocese. Loved it for 30 years.
Pros
family-like atmosphere, supportive, calm.
Cons
Under new management. Not the same anymore.
Productive and rewarding
COOK (Current Employee) –  Chicago,ilJune 20, 2014
Working for this company is great. We provide nutritional meals for children and even incorporate innovative ways to use fresh foods from state farms. There are alot of opportunities to advance within and the supervisors are great.
Pros
Teamwork, Work Schedule
Cons
No benefits, rate of pay
Working for schools with a long standing history of excellence
Principal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2013
It is a joy to work in this system. The school administrator needs to be a vibrant, intelligent, self-motivated individual who works for the benefit of all the parish entities.

A strong commitment to the Catholic school is needed.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Salary could be better
Grateful for the employment opportunity.
Clerk Typist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2012
Thankful for the time allowed to remain in position. Work performance limited.
Pros
no room for growth or promotions.
Cons
no incentives
Loved it!
2nd Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2015
I worked as a teacher for the Archdiocese of Chicago for about 15 years. I truly loved my job as a teacher, and loved working in the Catholic schools. I loved being able to teach students not just about math, Language Arts, science, social studies, and spelling, I was able to teach them about our shared faith and Jesus....which is something not allowed in the public schools.

I LOVED greeting my students daily and teaching them throughout the day! They inspired me to be the best I could be, so I could teach them all that I know. I, in turn, made them strive to be the best they could be!

The principals in the Catholic schools I have taught in ranged from "great" to "terrible" The "great" ones cared not just about the students in their schools, but also the teachers that worked for them. They were supportive and truly cared about their teachers, students, and parents in many difficult situations.

The "terrible" ones did nothing to support their teachers if there were problems with a student and/or parents. One even screamed at concerned parents regarding a particular situation! Teachers were literally left to "fend for themselves" with problem students and/or parents....with no help or support.

I worked very well with my fellow teachers in all of the schools I have taught in.

The hardest part of my job was the pay. After working in the Archdiocese for 15 years, I left making $30,000. First year teachers in in the public schools make MUCH more. We were expected to come in on certain weekends and evenings(with no additional compensation). I always had to work 2-3
  more... jobs, as well as the summer to earn extra money so I could pay my bills.

Being able to teach about my faith was a wonderful thing for me! It is something not allowed to be talked about in the public schools. I loved working with the children, parents, and staff. We all had/have common values and goals.
Pros
Teaching, children, parents, fellow teachers
Cons
pay/compensation
Queen of Heaven
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Hillside, ILMarch 19, 2014
Great relationships with coworkers, never a problem with management, self explanatory work.
Pros
Reliable work load
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archdiocese of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3