Archdiocese of Chicago Employee Reviews

good!
tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2017
very polite and hardworking staff, the people in charge were always responsible for the accurate management and distribution of resources that includes food and scholarly material.
Great environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2017
Productive workplace
I learned to register people to vote
created fundamental workshops for the community
Immigration rights
citizenship information
Rewarding and challenging place to work in.
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2017
As a youth worker a typical day requires me to provide assistance to students with all of their academic endeavors. I learned that children need guidance, and a nurturing environment to learn and grow as individuals. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing how much students have progressed academically throughout the school year.
Pros
Summers hours
Cons
No benefits or opportunities for advancement.
What a wonderful place to work with!
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2017
The Archdiocese is an interesting place with lots of history all around the building.
If i had another chance to work with them full time or even part time, it would be an honor.
I Came to the archdiocese as an intern for college credits/experience.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Impossible salary
5th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Wonderful atmosphere yet impossible salary.
Depending on the school where you teach, it may change.
Generally well-mannered children
Sometimes less than well-equipped classrooms/schools
Pros
short work day
Cons
salary
Company rating is good.
Construction Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2017
A valued working condition, with various commercial building types
of new and restoration of existing building types.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2016
Great work environment. Awesome place to work. There's plenty of opportunity for advancement and growth. This place has some of the nicest people I've met.
Good people with great work ethics.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2016
It's a quiet and calm place to work. When management or co-workers get together to talk, ideas are generated. Some discussions can get loud, but the laughter is usually louder.
Pros
Good people, work load is not heavy
Cons
Location and only part-time
It was all fun and hard work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2016
Preparing the food and having it ready by 8:30 am for the children and staffing I got along with the workers just find the hardest part is closing I enjoyed my by getting it done
Pros
Loving my work
Family oriented environment
Educator (Former Employee) –  Southside of ChicagoAugust 9, 2016
It was an environment that was warm and friendly. Parents really partner with the educators. Teachers collabote and strong relationships are evident. Everyone worked together for the success of the attending students.
Pros
Smaller class size
Cons
Tuition is costly for many
Good foot in the door.
Tier 2 Computer Technician/ Help desk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2016
The Company isn't bad to work for. They are willing to work around your scheduled. Don't expect good compensation for your effort at work. Nor should you expect to get anything done quickly. Management is very lacking in ability to keep up with work load.
Pros
lax policy and willing to work around your schedule.
Cons
very low pay, Lack of opportunity.
Difficult environment with little room for growth
K-8 Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was of course working with the kids. I enjoy working with learners of all ages, but a job so demanding requires support that was not present in this situation.
Development Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2016
Overall, perfect place to work. Great benefits, time off, heath ins. Biggest downside is low wages and low raises. Excellent mgmt and some departments have professional development budgets. Great people to work with however be aware that advancement is quite limited.
Fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2015
This job was great. co-workers were great to work with. great benefits. got laid off for lack of work. great location to get to work. and the job was easy.
Good family life balance
Advancement and Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2015
Lower on the pay scale than most educational careers, but more stable and understanding of family life. Great benefits package.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Lower pay scale than most education careers
Great central location
Foreign Language Instructor, (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
Because of the many schools that make up the Archdiocese of Chicago, the work environments vary with the locations. However, Before St. Columbanus School vanished into oblivion, it was one of the BEST places to work in the Archdiocese. Loved it for 30 years.
Pros
family-like atmosphere, supportive, calm.
Cons
Under new management. Not the same anymore.
Loved it!
2nd Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2015
I worked as a teacher for the Archdiocese of Chicago for about 15 years. I truly loved my job as a teacher, and loved working in the Catholic schools. I loved being able to teach students not just about math, Language Arts, science, social studies, and spelling, I was able to teach them about our shared faith and Jesus....which is something not allowed in the public schools.

I LOVED greeting my students daily and teaching them throughout the day! They inspired me to be the best I could be, so I could teach them all that I know. I, in turn, made them strive to be the best they could be!

The principals in the Catholic schools I have taught in ranged from "great" to "terrible" The "great" ones cared not just about the students in their schools, but also the teachers that worked for them. They were supportive and truly cared about their teachers, students, and parents in many difficult situations.

The "terrible" ones did nothing to support their teachers if there were problems with a student and/or parents. One even screamed at concerned parents regarding a particular situation! Teachers were literally left to "fend for themselves" with problem students and/or parents....with no help or support.

I worked very well with my fellow teachers in all of the schools I have taught in.

The hardest part of my job was the pay. After working in the Archdiocese for 15 years, I left making $30,000. First year teachers in in the public schools make MUCH more. We were expected to come in on certain weekends and evenings(with no additional compensation). I always had to work 2-3
  more... jobs, as well as the summer to earn extra money so I could pay my bills.

Being able to teach about my faith was a wonderful thing for me! It is something not allowed to be talked about in the public schools. I loved working with the children, parents, and staff. We all had/have common values and goals.
Pros
Teaching, children, parents, fellow teachers
Cons
pay/compensation
Fun work place
Maitenance (Current Employee) –  Palos HillsJune 12, 2015
I learned proper use of hand tools, power tools, and how to measure things precisely. I also was able to improve my organizational skills
Itinerent teacher
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
I have 10 students at two different schools. The students varied in age and ability. This required substantial lesson planning. The students were wonderful. My teaching partner was amazing. I learned more from her than from some of the conferences I have been attended.

The hard part about this job is the traveling and paying for the gas myself. I also had to worry about funding. If the funding ran out then we were done working. There was no benefits.
Pros
Co-worker, students
Cons
traveling to different schools, worry of the funding running out
Caring atmosphere for all people
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2015
I was an administrative assistant for the Research & Planning Department. I took care of the day-to day issues. I also drew boundary maps of parishes and created spreadsheets of data about parishes. I was in a small, 4 person, department and we all worked well together to get the data collected and out to the parishes. The hardest part of the job was collecting the data from all 365 of the parishes. The most enjoyable was when I collected 100% of the date from the parishes and then putting that data in a readable form.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Salary