Archdiocese of New York Employee Reviews

Independent work environment
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 4, 2014
I was responsible for answering to the Administrative Assistant and the Judicial Vicar of the Tribunal. I recorded incoming annulment cases daily and assigned each case to three canon lawyers. I was responsible for keeping track of each case and upon completion of the case sending case to the Archdiocese of New York.

I interacted with clergy from outlying Diocese and often spoke with petitioners regarding the status of their case.
Pros
able to work independently
Cons
no advancement options
Supportive and great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 31, 2014
I was employed by the Archdiocese of New York for almost eight years. The work environment was extremely supportive and conducive to positive work outcomes.

My immediate superiors were open to new ideas and support personal growth within the company and beyond.

While at the Archdiocese I met great people whom I still keep in touch with.
Pros
great work environment and room for growth
When a job doesn't feel like work!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a Catholic School educator. Teaching children and interacting with their parents became more than a job. Knowing that one was responsible for the academic and spiritual development of a youngster was a blessing. In the Catholic school, the fact that religion, a sense of morality is integrated in the various academic subjects was endearing.
However, the low salaries and the medical benefits left a lot to be desired. There was no dental or eye care coverage. Until recently, the job security was excellent. Unfortunately, this too has become one of the weaknesses in working for the Archdiocese. After more than fifteen years, the first Catholic school I worked for closed and equally as alarming, the second one closed. There was no follow up; no counseling. Many teachers took early retirement rather than face the hard ache of another school closing. As an early retiree, I have to basically re-invent myself because not many places will hire a fifty plus year old teacher. when my unemployment runs out, I will have to go to social services.
Finally,one of the most positive aspects of working for this institution was the close knit family-type atmosphere that existed in both schools. Like a family we supported each other and might have even occasionally had a disagreement, but the friendships made are life long.
Challlegning and hard work
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2014
Great entry level job. Teaches a great deal about the industry of fundraising, development, and non-profit.
The Irony of working for a faith based institution.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, NYJanuary 24, 2014
Working with the children, their parents, peers, and other individuals who ensure the success of the children was the highlight of my twenty plus years with the Archdiocese of New York. However, the most devastating aspect of this job is no security. The Catholic schools have closed for no valid reason.
In my first school, we were told the reason our school closed, (which was a pillar in our small community of Mt. Vernon) was because the majority of children were not Catholic. So the only Catholic school in southern Westchester, which had a large population of black/African American students, was closed.
The second school closed for another reason, unknown to many of the teachers, who were displaced. This school, had about 96% Catholic students. Hence the reason about non Catholics, did not apply here. But we closed too. After this second job closing in two years, I have severed al ties with the Archdiocese of NY, I know that I am not the only person who has taken such a drastic step.
Teaching is an honorable awesome career, however, the physical wear on your limbs is painful. Hence currently, I am receiving unemployment funds and am walking with a cane! Don't get me wrong, I love/loved my job. I just am devastated because at 55 years old, carrying a cane, my job prospects have been null and void! This is awful and I know that I am not the only one with this experience!
So, I am on your Web site looking for employment. And no, I will not return to a classroom.
Pros
engaging wonderful children
Cons
poor salary and no job security
Fun and productive workplace
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 18, 2013
Enjoyed my work environment, had a great time working with my co-workers but the hardest part of my job were finding resources to provide to the students. Teachers don't make enough money, plain and simple.
Education and fulfilling position
Managing Director, Cardinal's Annual Appeal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
My time and work at the Archdiocese of New York has been personally fulfilling and educational. I truly value the work of the Archdiocese and support the programs that are maintained and created through our collective fundraising efforts.
Pros
seeing my work translate to outreach to the poor, needy or those fallen on hard times
Cons
difficult for growth
Productive workplace
Benefit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2012
A great place to work with nice people. I have learned a lot working for the Archdiocese of New York and I'm so grateful for the experience.
Pros
the people is nice
Cons
don't have dental or vision
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2012
Working for Catholic Charities at the Archdiocese was my first people encounter experience and I liked it. I've learn to be a multitasker in a fast pace environment. No jobs were too hard for me because I enjoy working there. We were all one big family.
Pros
we were all one big family.
Cons
promotion were hard to come by.