Archdiocese of New York Employee Reviews

stressful but productive
FAMILY WORKER (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2017
i enjoyed working here but it got a little challenging when the director, a high school graduate found out I had a bachelors degree. she began throwing more work at me with unreasonable deadline. i decided to get another job.
Pros
helping the community
Cons
administrator was unfair
Lots of room and opportunity for dynamic fresh thinking
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 13, 2017
As a parish administrator, there was a lot of room for innovative thinking and implementing strategies for growth and development. There was not too much interference from corporate leadership unless there was a significant problem that got to their attention.The hardest part of the role was being patient with our constituents and having the resources to be able to share and divide responsibilities with others.
Archdiocese
Accounting Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Great place to work. Learned a lot of new techniques and had some great mentors. The people there are very understanding and willing to help. Complied with the US GAAP.
Review Summary
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
Very professional atmosphere, Provides avenues for growth so an employee can be promoted or transferred. 100% devotion to the needs of others, building charitable relationships.

Advice to Management
Prepare your employees to do the work you want to see, every employee in compliance should be provided a binder of regulations and policies for guidance throughout their entire agency.
It is a regular place to work
Data Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
It is nothing really great or bad about this place. It is just an old building and needs a lot of fixing in their rooms, rest rooms and floors and rooms.
Good company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Rye, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Offers a good working environment, everyone is very friendly, good time off and benefits
In need of technology upgrades, not much room for growth
Pros
Time off, pension plan
Cons
not much room for growth
No Frills Environment - Easy to get work done
Tuition Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2016
Typical 9-5 work environment with respectful people that love what they do and all for a good cause. Diverse crowd with different career backgrounds - plenty of capable smart people around.
Too much politics
accounting clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2016
Not a fun place to work. No internal promotion. You are in the same position. Barely any raise. They only look out for their friends. Is who you know in that building will get you somewhere.
Most students teachable but curriculum ever-changing.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2016
I was always prepared to teach. My classroom was a safe environment. Their was discipline but not despotism. When learned and enjoyed ourselves. A lot of laughs. Students knew what was expected of them at all times.
I loved what I was teaching. This was before Common Core came into being and took away academic freedom. Talk about dictatorship!
Went through many principals. Being in a Catholic school, there was at times much interference from nuns. They recently arrived in this country and wanted to remake the world.
Most colleagues were great to work with and very helpful. Several, or course, did the minimum and were more interested in themselves than in their pupils. This led to students entering my class in September who were far behind. I had to, especially with mathematics, play a great deal of "catch up"--getting them to their appropriate levels.
I inaugurated the Accelerated Reading program here in the Northeast. I put in much volunteer time organizing our school library (the real librarian rarely got out of her chair).
Principals needed to be more forceful with teachers who weren't doing their jobs.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits, summers off, wonderful studenrs
Cons
Lazy teachers, lack of overall discipline, ineffective principals
Very rewarding job and school setting!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2016
My day began greeting the principal and teachers followed by all the students and parents into the school, reviewed attendance, answered calls, assisted the prinicpal, drafted letters, collected tutition, made teacher copies, interpreted spanish to english to facilitate conversaion sbetween the prinicpal and parents, registered incomoing students and prepared teacher binders for monthly meetings with the principal.
Pros
free lunch, great hours, excellent principal
Cons
working lunch
Regular day at work
Intern/ Secretary assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2015
I would come in every Mondays at 9am and look trough the mail and delivered it to my co workers. I also had to create labels, letters, Fax papers. It was a good environment people were really nice and always understandable of any situation. Always willing to help me and tried to answer every question. I would always go around asking my co workers if they needed any help.
Pros
Free lunch, free coffe and sometimes donouts
Cons
absolutly nothing
Overall the Archidocese is a great place to work at.
Senior Data Entry - Donor Database Center (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Review the bank owned web site to download bank credits for the previous day, import batches, enter information, review returned mail, update database accordingly. Hardest part of the job was not to judge other performance of the job.
Pros
More holidays than the average profit company
Cons
The politics to high
Independent work environment
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 4, 2014
I was responsible for answering to the Administrative Assistant and the Judicial Vicar of the Tribunal. I recorded incoming annulment cases daily and assigned each case to three canon lawyers. I was responsible for keeping track of each case and upon completion of the case sending case to the Archdiocese of New York.

I interacted with clergy from outlying Diocese and often spoke with petitioners regarding the status of their case.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
No advancement options
Supportive and great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 31, 2014
I was employed by the Archdiocese of New York for almost eight years. The work environment was extremely supportive and conducive to positive work outcomes.

My immediate superiors were open to new ideas and support personal growth within the company and beyond.

While at the Archdiocese I met great people whom I still keep in touch with.
Pros
Great work environment and room for growth
When a job doesn't feel like work!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a Catholic School educator. Teaching children and interacting with their parents became more than a job. Knowing that one was responsible for the academic and spiritual development of a youngster was a blessing. In the Catholic school, the fact that religion, a sense of morality is integrated in the various academic subjects was endearing.
However, the low salaries and the medical benefits left a lot to be desired. There was no dental or eye care coverage. Until recently, the job security was excellent. Unfortunately, this too has become one of the weaknesses in working for the Archdiocese. After more than fifteen years, the first Catholic school I worked for closed and equally as alarming, the second one closed. There was no follow up; no counseling. Many teachers took early retirement rather than face the hard ache of another school closing. As an early retiree, I have to basically re-invent myself because not many places will hire a fifty plus year old teacher. when my unemployment runs out, I will have to go to social services.
Finally,one of the most positive aspects of working for this institution was the close knit family-type atmosphere that existed in both schools. Like a family we supported each other and might have even occasionally had a disagreement, but the friendships made are life long.
Challlegning and hard work
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2014
Great entry level job. Teaches a great deal about the industry of fundraising, development, and non-profit.
The Irony of working for a faith based institution.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, NYJanuary 24, 2014
Working with the children, their parents, peers, and other individuals who ensure the success of the children was the highlight of my twenty plus years with the Archdiocese of New York. However, the most devastating aspect of this job is no security. The Catholic schools have closed for no valid reason.
In my first school, we were told the reason our school closed, (which was a pillar in our small community of Mt. Vernon) was because the majority of children were not Catholic. So the only Catholic school in southern Westchester, which had a large population of black/African American students, was closed.
The second school closed for another reason, unknown to many of the teachers, who were displaced. This school, had about 96% Catholic students. Hence the reason about non Catholics, did not apply here. But we closed too. After this second job closing in two years, I have severed al ties with the Archdiocese of NY, I know that I am not the only person who has taken such a drastic step.
Teaching is an honorable awesome career, however, the physical wear on your limbs is painful. Hence currently, I am receiving unemployment funds and am walking with a cane! Don't get me wrong, I love/loved my job. I just am devastated because at 55 years old, carrying a cane, my job prospects have been null and void! This is awful and I know that I am not the only one with this experience!
So, I am on your Web site looking for employment. And no, I will not return to a classroom.
Pros
Engaging wonderful children
Cons
Poor salary and no job security
Fun and productive workplace
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 18, 2013
Enjoyed my work environment, had a great time working with my co-workers but the hardest part of my job were finding resources to provide to the students. Teachers don't make enough money, plain and simple.
Education and fulfilling position
Managing Director, Cardinal's Annual Appeal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
My time and work at the Archdiocese of New York has been personally fulfilling and educational. I truly value the work of the Archdiocese and support the programs that are maintained and created through our collective fundraising efforts.
Pros
seeing my work translate to outreach to the poor, needy or those fallen on hard times
Cons
difficult for growth
Productive workplace
Benefit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2012
A great place to work with nice people. I have learned a lot working for the Archdiocese of New York and I'm so grateful for the experience.
Pros
the people is nice
Cons
don't have dental or vision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archdiocese of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

Archdiocese of New York Reviews by Location