Area Wide Protective Employee Reviews

Terrible management , unorganized and incompetent.
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Peru, INMay 24, 2017
For start this job has the most backwards hiring process that I have ever seen in the work force, they hired me before letting my background check come back and fired me after letting me work for a week due to my background which consist of 3 misdemeanor cases. Now when I say they fired me , they didn't even have the decency to call and let me know what the issue was they just stopped sending me job offers for a few days and I contacted them everyday for a three day period with no success in even getting a return call. My project manager then sent me a text telling me to contact somebody else because she wasn't on call, mind u still no word from anybody telling me why they won't answer my calls or why I haven't gotten a return call simply a text saying call somebody else im not on call. The training is bull and the trainer was incompetent , I knew more on the class then he did and he was the one teaching it. These are bad people and this is a bad job with a high turnover rate because of that. Don't waste your time with AWP .
Pros
Cons
The entire job
Productive with slight downfall
Senior Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  White Plains, MDMay 23, 2017
Someone hit my car and I was held accountable for it when I wasn't even aware of the hit and run. I put in to many hours and overtime for this company. I've been working there for almost 2 years with no benefits. With this type of job it's unsafe, so the first thing they should offer is benefits because risking your life on the line. The only good thing about it, you do get to go to different locations. You learn different routes and get to see new scenery very often.
Pros
Different climate changes and scenery
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, no job security
Out Side Job
Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maiden, NCMay 18, 2017
With this job you are working outside. Making sure to conduct traffic to keep the workers safe. I enjoy doing this but need more hours a week. Hardest part of the job is standing in the sun all day and not having a break.
What i learned
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 18, 2017
What I learned at awp was how to drop a 613 which to me was the most difficult to learn. But with the help of some of my co-workers they made it easy for me. I was also taught the proper way to flag.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Where is the no star button?
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHMay 16, 2017
Worse place I have ever worked at, the management is a joke very unprofessional, if you need a manager after hours don't call because they dont respond anyways. Even tho there is a union they do nothing for their employees, and the non union shops receive raises while union does not. The only good thing about this company is working with a few of the clients, and few of the flaggers are cool. The new flaggers only receive class room training get put on the road and expect senior flaggers to train then while in the job, even tho we do not get paid to train let alone enough to be almost hit by vehicles. All awp cares for is the money they earn off their employees being on the job. Worse place to work only come here if you are absolutely desperate and yet keep searching because you will hate this job.
Pros
You get screwed over by managers
Cons
You get screwed over by the company.
Horrible company
Flagged (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 15, 2017
All around bad experience. The job sucked! The management don't care about you. You barely get any hours to pay your bills. Biggest check I got was around 2 and some change. They look for ways to fire anyone. Please save your time and don't apply. Awp is very unprofessional!
I enjoyed working their
traffic control technician (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 3, 2017
For the most part it is real early and very hot and you for the most part had to stand all day long. It was bad on your legs and feet but if you can stand it was okay for me.
Pros
get to go differnt places
Cons
sometimes their is no brakes and you have to stay directing traffic
Not worth wasting your time
Flagger, lane closer, barricade crew (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXApril 28, 2017
Uncourteous no reliably very low pay after the hours you put in your hours becomes cut
If you expect to get a $600 paycheck at the end of the week cut that in half and you get only about $250 max
Pros
Learn about basic TC
Cons
Low pay, unethical hours, hours cut, overall bad
Plantation Life.
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 25, 2017
Long, erratic hours. 24/7 On Call. Low wages. Incompetent management. Unethical practices. And those are the highlights of the job. We were treated more like machines than people. It just wasn't a pleasant place to work.
Pros
None.
Cons
You have a couple of hours to kill?
this place treated its employees badly
Flagger/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2017
i have nothing good to say they expect you to give up your life for them with no rewards and bad pay..... you put your life at risk everytime you get on the road the union was bull ....
Not bad
Flagger/Laborer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAApril 18, 2017
If you don't mind being outside and working safe is something one would like I highly recommend this job. There pay is good and the job itself is challenging but rewarding as well
Prepare to be disappointed...
Senior Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVApril 14, 2017
Hours are unpredictable, management shows favoritism. Never know who you're working with/for until late in the day. If you have to call dispatch, be prepared to be blamed for the company's incompetence. They can/will fire you without giving you a reason.
Pros
Get to see new places, some employees, company vehicle.
Cons
No breaks, management is in it for themselves, no insurance or full time status, some managers show favoritism.
work
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 11, 2017
it pays the bills. u are standing outside in all kind of weather. u work all kind of place. sometimes before the sun comes out and home sometime after the sunset
Cons
no breaks all hours of the day 14 hrs plus.
Very unstable job. Not steady in hours
Flagged/ traffic control specialist (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYApril 8, 2017
I liked the job. And the people I worked with and the task I had to perform the job it's self I liked. The management wasn't good and couldn't manage to keep employees good hours. which is the reason why I left.
Pros
Good pay. And good people to work around
Cons
Poor management and low hours
poor management
Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAMarch 26, 2017
did learn alot in training, but management gets no respect and unstable....understaffed and hire turn around. no guarentee on hours and travel is exessive
Pros
certificates obtained, training thorough
Cons
management unprofessional
change of pace
Sr. Traffic Control Specialist - project lead (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 22, 2017
great job to take you all over the state, and meet a lot of great people. earn a greater respect for work zone safety. learned what goes into line work, traffic lights, repaving. attention to detail, thinking outside the box.
Pros
life on the line
Cons
unable to be promoted
Unpredictable hours, high turnover
Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  OHMarch 17, 2017
This place has a high turnover for a reason. You never know from day to day whether you are going to work 12 hours or no hours. Mandatory Saturdays. No relief when you need to use the bathroom. Every employee seems to hate their job.
normal work day
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 10, 2017
going to work, getting the work truck, setting up the zone with however many cones and signs you need for the job and just making sure everyone is safe
Work
Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAMarch 8, 2017
Working here is good but the pay is iffy and you have to basically work all the way to get to the top(driver) but it challenges you to do what you need to do as a worker.
Pros
Lunch, friendship, and steady work
Cons
Low pay and somewhat horrible conditions
very good job
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 2, 2017
this job was a very good job all it needed was a safer way of doing the job and handling the equipment and better co-workers who don't do stuff they not suppose to and team work and work ethic was able to always make money with them made more than 40hrs a week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Area Wide Protective. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5