Area Wide Protective Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJune 25, 2016
No Opinion it was a paycheck;njjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
Indianapolis managment ,clueless..
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 17, 2016
My time there was worry from day to day if I will get enough hours to pay my bills,I drove my own vehicle to meet partners so they wouldn't have to get up so early,it didn't seem to matter to this office the hard work or nice things you did ,they put temps out there that do not have the training as awp workers did but they get more hours.??? The management in this office preached of making customers happy but on the phone saying he could care less of one of the jobs and that customer..very unprofessional people .the management did not like to hear or keep up on what's going on out in the work places and when you try to explain,your fired....I think we as the workers know more than those sitting on there butts,the customers I worked with and got to know ARE NOT HAPPY with AWP COMPANY,they think it's a joke and they see who's working hard then they see the ones that don't take their jobs as a traffic safety person seriously,yet they see that's who's getting the hours ,when these companies request good workers,AWP MANAGEMENT sends them the opposite,they listen to nobody and this office is going to be the one that takes AWP UNDER.....poor poor Indy facility manager...I wish the overall company the best of luck but they need to do some spring cleaning before its too late...
Awp
Crew leader (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLJune 15, 2016
Awp is a good company to work for. The management staff are very friendly and there to help you in any way possible. I learn more responsibility while working for AWP as I was over my own crew.
It was a very productive place and everybody did teamwork well
Flagger/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 13, 2016
the most enjoyable things of the job were when we did lane closures and got to learn about their work that they all did. my coworkers were all nice and grateful to work there and all had positive attitudes.
Boring
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Carmel, NYJune 5, 2016
Terrible job if you can get a better job get it! The only time i got good hours was during training, highly recommend getting a better job
Pros
None really
Cons
Very boring, barely work
Been good to me
sr.traffic control specailist (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 18, 2016
Good company low pay at the beginning.But ive done good since again cant speak for anyone but me.Most crew members are caring and great.Management is better now.
Pros
good hours
Cons
Low amount of downtime un summet
you get what you give
Project Manger (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 9, 2016
Loved my job there always learning never know where your going or where your working love the challenge.
Have to be able to deal with elements and follow all safety rules
long hours, undiscipline workers, bad management
Senior Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 30, 2016
They hire too many young undiscipline people who curse too much and who listen to dirty wrap music. You keep having to tell them to work all the time cause they don't seem to take their job seriously. They hire just anybody without checking for good work references. So the job is never done right and Management keep up making up more and more cumbersone rules because they don't hire serious and dependible workers. So if anyone out there have a bad working record, this is the place for you to apply cause they hire just about anybody!!
Pros
10 to 12 hours a day if you like to work
Cons
standing all day, disrespecful employees, in/around traffic all day, be at work at 6:30am
High paced environment
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHApril 25, 2016
Area Wide Protective was a very high energy, fast paced job to work for. Always on my toes and had to be aware of all of my surroundings. I had to work with traffic of all sizes and speeds and at all times of the day
Pros
Compensation, got to travel
Cons
no life outside of the job
depends on area you work
tcs (Former Employee) –  flApril 16, 2016
There are too many employees and not enough work. They say full time but what they mean is, you might get 40 hours once in a while. They give promotions to friends and people who are under trained and to women who flash skin(I've witnessed this). Just not enough hours. Also frequent mandatory meetings. You never know if your working the next day until around 5-7pm at night. They keep you looking for a new job.
Pros
plenty of time at home
Cons
40 hour weeks are rare
fun busy
register flagger (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 14, 2016
productive place keep you busy and learn ew things as you work.
I've worked with different companies like Pike. its alot alot of fun work that keeps your body in shape as well.
intersting
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAMarch 28, 2016
My co-workers were like family. Management cared for all employees. Work was always interesting. The hours keep you busy. The weather would be the only down part about it.
Pros
overtime
Cons
weather conditions
Very Challenging and diverse place to work
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed the challenges that I faced every day and the ability to work outside was pure enjoyment. The ability to drive to different areas was a great way to get to know the different parts of Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio
Good coworkers, management is terrible
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 23, 2016
The only real perk of working for this company is that for the most part the majority of the flaggers watch out for each other and are good friends. They have to watch out for each other because management overall doesn't care about their employees and is willing to through flaggers under the bus to cover themselves.

Corporate is worse, they're only interested in profit and have no desire to compensate their employees for the wor they do and the danger of the job.

If you like standing outside in all weather conditions and don't mind traffic trying to run you over this is the place for you. But if you have any ambition to be promoted or advance yourself don't bother unless you're willing to kiss a lot of bacmside and take a LOT of punishment for things you didnt do.
Pros
Working outdoors, coworkers
Cons
Compensation is terrible, poor management, lack of advancement opportunities
This company really sucks
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Canton OfficeMarch 20, 2016
Union not good at all, management even worse, favoritism, makes up their own rules as they go. Pay sucks for the hard dangerous work you do.There is nothing and I mean nothing good about this company. They use you and if just one of them doesn't seem to like you for any reason they will find a reason to get rid of you. Seen it happen..you don't get paid for being on call and there are no benefits. They also seem to take money out of your pay when not suppose to and also you have to make sure you keep track of your own hours cause you will get screwed out of hours if you dont pay attention. Especially if you are a newcomer cause when you first get there it will be hard to understand all the extra admins you need to put in for to collect and they sure dont offer to explain it..so you will loose some type of hours..Honestly if you have another job and looking for something better, this IS NOT better..Keep looking cause this is not it..AWP has a very high turnover rate for a reason..
Awp
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lima, OH 45805March 18, 2016
Great job to work for except in the winter time when it's really cold and they wont let you get a break. Temperatures can be a bit extreme.
Pros
Cons
Weather, no breaks
unique job for me.
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHMarch 16, 2016
I worked this job for a short amount of time. I did not enjoy standing in once place. I like to move around a lot and to keep myself busy. I loved working with Duke Energy and Hydaker power lines. I got my traffic flagging certificate and first aid certificate.
Pros
overtime job
Cons
standng in one place for hours, even in freezing weather.
what in the world is going on here
flagger (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIMarch 14, 2016
Constantly under someone's thumb.
What you are told In the job interview is only 10% true.
Management is not there to help you. They are there to spread rumors and tell on each other.

Everything is your falt!
Fall guy should be in job description.

You will be set up to fail a lot of the time.

If you accept this job it will only make you sad that there are people in the world treated like a chess set.
Pros
you get a free whistle
Cons
endless lies and no reason to stick around
no benefits
Flagger/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 13, 2016
my other team members were great but the management team was rude and they have no benefits until you work so many hours and you still might not qualify I was there for 8 months and still couldnt get insurance or benefits an this can be a dangerous job....
Pros
Cons
to many to count
I love the outdoors especially in the Spring & Summer
Senior Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 13, 2016
Crews that you work with are the BEST! Most management is very compassionate & will go out of their way to teach you the right & wrong ways of the job.
Dealing with traffic on a daily basis : It has it's good days & bad days... depending on your location. Most people will pay attention to your warning signs... while others are on phone & swear you don't have any out. It is a very tedious job.
I love the out doors so it's great in summer & spring. But Fall & winter are very hard & hours are shorter too.
Pros
Healthcare after you put in 1600 hours each year.
Cons
No breaks most days. Long days too w/o a break is hard if you are a female too

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Area Wide Protective. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7