ARES Corporation Employee Reviews

No diversity in Management
Quality (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDApril 20, 2016
Pay and Benefits are pretty good, but if you are a (male) minority seeking a management position, forget it. Also, pretty stingy with their education benefit (good luck). They do not look out for employees career advancement.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No Diversity in Management in Greenbelt office.
Satisfying work
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Patrick, SCNovember 28, 2016
Satisfying work. Company does not micromanage and does not interfere with your daily work responsibilities. Work is rewarding but benefits could be better.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
healthcare
Current Employee who sees the company moving in right direction
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJanuary 28, 2016
In the past, this company was aggravating to work for. Upper Management was out of touch and would not look in your direction when they came to visit the office. However, those days seem to be gone. Changes in upper management have resulted in more of a family atmosphere, and the company is moving in the right direction. Flexible hours and an understanding of family commitments is wonderful. Room for growth and training are getting better and looking forward to see what the future holds for a company that is getting back on its feet. They seem to realize that without the employees, the company is nothing. Therefore, they are taking the time to show the employees they are important. I do recommend working for this company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Run from this place!!!!!
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston/Clear Lake TxJanuary 27, 2015
the 'good ole boy' atmosphere is alive and kicking here. Nepotism is prevalent, and the politics of management runs rampant. Seniority doesn't count when it comes to lay-offs. Your political viewpoint does. The lay-off of January 2013, effected all African-Americans, (with more seniority). The previous layoff in Oct 2011 effected at least 2 African-Americans, and several employees who disagreed with management politics. This contract was/is the NASA contract supporting the International Space Station.

Raises were 1% a year for the least favored, and up to 6% for the favored.

The 401k/ESOP was a magic shell game, so don't count on it after leaving, because it will take over 2 years to get it rolled-over or released, and if its over 5000.00, ARES will piecemeal it out at 1/3 each year.

Dental insurance has a 1000.00 a year limit. Yes it's a free benefit, but an awful one, since its a in-network type of insurance,
Pros
Casual Atmosphere
Cons
Everything Else
N/a
Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 20, 2017
Great working environment and friendly co-workers. Maintained 3 contracts by supporting the lead contractors as I became the lead on two of the contracts.
Pros
Free coffee and snacks
Cons
N/A
Friendly and productive environment
Government Contractor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 23, 2015
ARES is a good place in terms of work-life balance and fair employment policies. Co-workers are friendly and the management staff is fair. Only down-side is time allowed for vacation is limited.
Pros
Fair working environment
Cons
Limited time off
I love working here!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 30, 2015
ARES is a unique working environment where I have been given a lot of opportunities to express my opinions and offer suggestions. My manager does not micromanage me and I feel comfortable speaking with my manager about issues or difficult topics. I like the benefits at ARES, especially the freedom to work from home if needed. The team I work with is fantastic and as a result I enjoy going to work (even on Mondays…). The most wonderful aspect of this job is that I can see myself here for years to come, which is a rare feeling.
Not a place I would recommend
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenn Research Center, Cleveland OHJuly 18, 2013
More interested in growing business than providing good customer service or listening to employees

Would never work for this company or recommend it

Management was very out of touch, only interested in growing company

co workers, for the most part, on edge and worried about their jobs and fearful of management

the job was really not enjoyable
Pros
good compensation
Cons
horrible management
Enjoy working very much
Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CADecember 26, 2012
Professional environment with competitive edge. typical day was very challenging. Learned Management style. Management was very open door communication. Co-workers were very co-operative and team players. Hardest part of job was not enough work. Most enjoyable part of job was open communication with management.
Pros
independent
Cons
not enough work
Interesting work and enjoyed the people I worked with
Administrative Specialist/Contract Administration (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 15, 2015
A typical day included office management. I learned how to brainstorm with the staff and management. My manager was open to new ideas and ways to accomplish difficult tasks. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. We all had respect for each other and worked very well together. The hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was on the same track as far as the contracts were concerned. The most enjoyable part was the sense of humor our office shared
Fitness comany
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Enjoyed because of fitness oriented company. Worked with businesses to help get employees involved in health and fitness.
Stay away
Manager (Current Employee) –  DC Area May 2, 2013
As a long term employee I would not recommend this place to anyone. When it was a small company the management was good, involved and truthful. Over the last few years as ARES tries to become a big company the management has lost its focus and integrity. They have a "good old boy" network within the company and knowing one of the senior VPs or CEO is the best path to advance. While they boast a lot of accomplishments; check the date those days are well in the past. The site management is very over reactionary and they tend to freak out when they hear a rumor from higher up the chain of command. In the last few years they have lost many of their key employees and and they getting beaten on bid submissions on a regular basis. If they hire you as a "Business Development VP", you will have less than a year before they suddenly fire you since the goals for that position are unrealistic.

Yes they will throw you a lot of $$ to come aboard, however if working environment and good management is a requirement of yours I would walk away.
Pros
Pays at the higher end of the scale, flexible work environment
Cons
Poorly run, lack of focus and integrity
ARES is a good company that is ironing out some internal issues
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Colordao SpringsMarch 24, 2015
Worked with ARES for 7 years and my compensation has kept pace. There seems to be little room for growth as a Project Manager right now.
privately owned business in aerospace engineering
Accounts Payable/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAOctober 14, 2015
Working for this employer was a valuable experience, and a great introduction back into the private sector, core hours were a major plus.
Pros
core hours, working with various employees, regional and international
Cons
very long commute
The Outsider
Office Administrator for the Structural Group (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 23, 2015
We were an office that was outside corporate. Never felt included unless it was to get reprimanded. We were not really allowed to act autonomously but if we didn't things wouldn't get done.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Being a new office with little or no support.
Unreliable company
Private Contractor / Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 20, 2012
I wouldn't work for them again.

They mislead me and didn't appreciate my unique contributions.