Argo Group Employee Reviews in United States

My opinion is the CEO is a over-priviledged corrupt whiner.
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 8, 2016
Just my opinion, but the CEO spends his time racing sailboats and flying around the country when he isn't in Bermuda. The management just above the individual contributor level is horrendous, uneven, unfair, and unhinged. I worked with some great people, but we nearly worked ourselves to death, but at least the pay was sub-par.
Great opportunities for growth
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 15, 2016
I have been working at Argo Group for a year and have really enjoyed it thus far. I find every day has a new challenge and keeps me on my toes. My manager is very flexible with my schedule, allowing me to have a balanced work/life balance. I think there is a lot of room for growth at Argo Group. Additionally, the company encourages employees to share their innovative ideas and collaborate with each other on which ones should proceed into development. Argo Group is also very supportive with their employees' personal and professional development; they hold a number of internal training seminars for employees to attend.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, collaboration and unique ideas encouraged, great work/life balance, great employees
Cons
Company is slow to adapt to new processes, communication to all company is not always streamlined
not the most secure work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2016
this was a good opportunity at first but the culture is trending downward. There is increasing pressure from senior leaders to outsource which breeds job insecurity.
This company is in transition and more concerned about dollars than people.
Senior Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 14, 2015
The people are great to work with, but are not valued by management. Located in the center of a metropolitan evironment which makes it difficult get to and from work.
Pros
Great employees.
Cons
Disorganized management.
customer service training
Customer Service Retention Representative (Current Employee) –  lewiston maineSeptember 22, 2015
the training was for one week but i only got about three and a half days of training our training days were cut short the trainer had other obligations to meet with clients during our training time while doing the training trainer kept leaving the room for extended periods of time. after first week of training we are suspose to be in nesting to learn the program better we got trained on two other campaings. i felt this to be wrong i was unable to concentrate and understand the first campaing i was taught
Pros
great pay
Cons
lack of training and lack of nesting time
Great people, questionable management
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2015
It's a great company to work at for a few years and learn about the industry. Upper management is fairly transparent but unfortunately tenure seems to be the only way for advancement not skills and abilities
Pros
Great people, great benefits
Cons
Below average pay, poor upper management
If you like a challenge & need experience this is the place!
anonymous (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 27, 2015
Gotta love the offices, while IT is not the best in giving you everything you need. The amount of experience I have gained here is amazing. It is a public company, with international reach-so it looks great on my resume. I don't think I would like to go much higher then a VP-that arena of the company seems tough to work in. I make a great living and have great benefits-which is what I need.
Pros
Good benefits, great offices, most management are awesome!
Cons
work life balance can be a challenge, set your boundaries for your life.
Friendly people, productive office
Typesetter (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 3, 2015
Colony Specialty/The Argo Group does high liability insurance. I worked in the underwriting department as a typesetter/office administrator. The employees were all helpful and upbeat, even on days with dozens of deadlines and incredible amounts of work to do. I never felt oppressed, even when the heat was on to get things done. They were all great at staying on task, getting things done, but never letting deadlines adversely effect their attitudes. I liked working there.
Great Position
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2015
I have gained an exceptional amount of knowledge during my employment with Argo Group. Typical days at Argo are busy and you are constantly moving (which is one of the main components I enjoyed about my position) Our team is small but for some reason communication from management is nonexistant.
Pros
great benefits, great hours, heavy work load
Cons
management, expense control
Nice working environment
Investment Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2015
Very nice company to work for and i work with most adorable people. Most understanding and boss i ever work for; very appreciative and ready to provide support when needed. The work balance life is very fascinating.
Pros
free lunch
Run don't walk
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Jersey CityAugust 1, 2014
Beautiful office but people are arrogant and rude. One young girl berated people regularly and IT Department was afraid if their manager who publicly embarrassed her staff. Managers are clueless with no direction. They cannot understand why everyone doesn't take days to a week to approve accounts like they do! The expense ratio is high because of nonsensical
spending by management. THE WORST JOB EVER
Pros
physical office and proximity to path trains
Cons
too many to list - arrogant, obnoxious staff. hiring process is a joke
Professional yet not....
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 15, 2016
This was one of the more professional jobs I've had and was completely excited about but the company put in little effort into making me feel comfortable or encouraging. The woman's position I was meant to take I had a week with to train and she was wonderful I could see why the company was sad to see her go. They did treat me to lunch my first day which I though was very nice and it was a nice change to work in a professional environment. After the week with the employee whose position I was going to be going for her work was passed to another employee who was supposed to be showing me the ropes after she left. After that employee left during the months I worked there I felt like I really wasn't taught/shown anything else about the job for two reasons. One being the new employee who was supposed to be training with me never put in any effort or time to really train me and second being I never received any type of feedback on anything I was doing to know if I was really doing my job correctly or in the way they wanted, not to mention if something was done incorrectly I was completely scolded at as if I even was supposed to know what I was doing. Back to not receiving feedback I took it upon myself to reach out to the Supervisor by email to ask about my performance there and let him know it was important I know because the job there was important to me only to two weeks later get a reply to have a meeting in an office and be told I didn't fit in and was being let go. If that isn't the most unprofessional reason I've been given being let go in what is supposed to be such a PROFESSIONAL  more... environment. I will not bash every employee there because I did meet a few quite nice people but this was one of the worst job experiences I ever had and has had me so mad for a long period of time I'm so glad I could voice this somewhere so maybe someone will read this and NOT waste their time with this company....sounds like discrimination to me  less
Pros
hour lunch, compensation
Cons
people and support, professionalism
one day in Argo Group US
Junior Accountant Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2014
It is always a busy day. In the morning, the first thing that I need to consider is to open the email and check for what I need to do for today. I usually make a to do list after that. It is often busy in the morning, as my managers and other workmates would love to give me tasks. If I have any questions about any documents or assignments, it is the time to go to them for help.

After the short break for half hour, I began the afternoon working time and it is usually busy as well. I need to keep in touch with the team members, who are not in the office and to communicate with them. Usually, it is not so easy to finish all things on my to do list. However, I love the challenge each day and never give up on learning new things. It is an enjoyable time period for me to grow.

Thanks so much for Argo Group US to give me this great opportunity in my life.
Superb
Commercial Property Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 11, 2015
Great environment/ Great atmosphere and my co-workers are great. Wonderful office and location. Working with and helping people are the utmost importance
Hard working team player that has been handling workers compenstion claims.
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving TexasAugust 1, 2013
a typical day at work consists of handling new referrals including making 24 hour 3 point contacts, payments of bills once it is ensured by ICD9 and Dignosis codes to ensue claim to be preocessed is due to the claim. Review, Reports to inside/outside company regarding claims compensability and if we owe for the claim, set reserves on large exposure claims. Answering phone and returning calls w/in 24 hours. Settlements on claims in several states and then moving the case to closure. Deal with medical providers, nurses (inside/outside) the company as well as workig with attorneys and nurses to ensure treatment related and to ensure injured workers are returned to work full duty, obtain impairment ratings, ensure ratings are correct and many more daily duties to ensure each claim is handled according to state rules / regulations.
Okay
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 18, 2013
Good to get experience, but look else where for advancement.