Argonne National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Great place to live, learn, and work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILJanuary 24, 2016
I only worked there as an intern so I don't have much to say. I enjoyed the culture I worked in, and the people I worked with. The engineers I was working with were highly motivated and exceptionally intelligent, making the internship very productive for my development.
Consistent work place
Driver/ Rigger Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILDecember 17, 2015
I worked with a team to support the lab with rigging and transporting of scientific equipment.
• Installed specialized lab equipment requiring advanced skills for hoisting/ transport within facilities and onsite
• Worked on lift plans for critical lifts with an emphasis on safety
• Proficient in safe working loads and standards for all rigging including chains, chokers, slings, spreader beams, and other associated hardware
Nice place to work
Desktop Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lemont, Il.December 7, 2015
I would get tickets for troubles from the Service desk and work with a crew of Desktop support admins. All of the crew were extremely talented and all would help you at any given moment. The company was a National Laboratory so every year there was a possibility that the government would be shut down. Management was good as to not micromanage and allowed you to work unabated, as long as within Service Agreement parameters.
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  ILNovember 2, 2015
Excellent place to work. Excellent environment. Excellent People. Many good thing to learn. Excellent Challenges.I highly recommend this place to work.
Anl
Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 28, 2015
ANL is a great place to work to advance your career with hands on training. It is also good to take advantage of the opportunity to further your education.
Contract Scientist Review
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILSeptember 22, 2015
I love working at Argonne National Laboratories. The people are nice and they really care about making sure that you understand what you are doing. If you are on staff you have great benefits, but as a contractor you have no benefits except what you get from your staffing agency (almost nothing).
Pros
Good people and flexable hours
Cons
No benefits
Average place to work
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lamont, ILSeptember 17, 2015
It was not an exciting place to work. It was monotonous work. Had good compensation. There was not much supervision. A lot of shift changes that made it hard to balance work/home.
Review Summary
Section Lead - User Services (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILSeptember 16, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent work/life balance with supportive management. Invest in career development and great coaching/mentoring programs available.
Smart, relax and friendly peers
Desktop Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILSeptember 9, 2015
I love working for Argonne, the people I work with are smart, relax and friendly. People care about work life balance and not just work.
Great place with casual university environment.
Engineer, Advanced Photon Source (Former Employee) –  Argonne, IlSeptember 4, 2015
Argonne performs cutting edge science. My position was to implement personnel safety interlocks at the Advanced Photon Source on five particle accelerators the largest being 1/2 in circumference which interfaced to 70 beam lines which had their own safety systems.

Other than typical tasks such as, system, documentation, and system validations each day was different, especially when machine trips would occur. I was effectively "On Call" with another co worker for 23 years, from the time the APS first accelerator came on line.

I also was an external reviewer of safety systems at other national laboratories for their designs, readiness, and sometimes off normal events.
Pros
Nice 2000 acre campus, up to date technology.
Cons
Over the years bureaucratic creep and increasing micromanagement.
Can't complain
Scientific Associate (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILJuly 27, 2015
The benefits are excellent, but it's tough to find a permanent position. Depending on which group you work for, funding is definitely a consideration. At any moment, you can lose funding and lose your job.

Overall the people are great and it's an excellent atmosphere. There are probably better jobs out there, but if you enjoy a research environment and freedom, this is a great place to be.
Good scientific research environment.
Applied physicist, Nuclear Reactor R&D (Former Employee) –  ILJune 26, 2015
Provided a good environment for doing scientific research with knowledgeable colleagues who were willing to help one learn new skills and apply them to their job.
Pros
Good campus facilities
Cons
Management not always approachable.
Nice Place To Work
Designer/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILJune 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time at ANL immensely. The work they do there is important. More government funding would help push projects along quicker though.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Funding shortfalls
Great place to work with a diverse culture
Lead Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  ILMay 26, 2015
There are many different people from many different countries and backgrounds. Argonne promotes a fantastic work/life balance. This is a great place to work all who are interested in science.
Pros
Lab contributes 9% of your salary to your 401K if you contribute 2.5%.
Cons
Not always room for advancement because people work there forever.
great start for a criminal justice career
Pro Force Officer (Former Employee) –  ILMay 22, 2015
great environment to work in, you meet lots of different people from various places and cultures. plus you get the chance to see lots of scientific marvels.
Pros
very interesting place to work
Cons
no public transportation access
great place
Nuclear Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  lemontApril 29, 2015
Working at Argonne National Laboratory is a wonderfully fulfilling experience. I am so happy to be here (and that is not even sarcastic at all!). I wish that I could work here forever.
Pros
the gym
Cons
nothing!
What I learned
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILApril 15, 2015
I learned many new data bases and was able to use them to create other Excel spreadsheets for tracking purposes. I learned to work with people of all different levels from custodial to top management.
Great benefit empolyee package
Power Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILApril 5, 2015
Awesome place to work. College style atmosphere. Good food. Close to Chicago. Great benefits. Relaxed atmosphere. Fitness center onsite,
Pros
Great work environment
Excellent for Academic Researcher
Research Aide Intern (Current Employee) –  Lemont, ILMarch 2, 2015
Overall a great place to work if you want to continue research after PhD. Higher pay than other postdocs. Flexible work schedule and enviroment.
Pros
fexible times, various experts
Cons
advancement
Dynamic workplace
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILFebruary 15, 2015
It was almost a days work starting from 8 in the morning till 5pm. I enjoy the freedom of taking short brakes. but when it comes to work the goal set is to be reached in the stipulated time. co-workers are all hardworking to keep us in close coordinance with the progress of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Argonne National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2