Argonne National Laboratory

Argonne National Laboratory Employer Reviews

Argonne - a good place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Lemont, ILJune 1, 2013
An excellent place to meet a diverse group of scientists and have the opportunity to learn new skills and collaborate.
worked there 38 years
Senior Technician (Former Employee), ILApril 13, 2013
Pros: great place to work
worked there 38years. No day was typical. hardest part of my job was getting to work. most enjoyable part of my job was the travel.
Great technology
Research Project Leader (Former Employee), Argonne, ILApril 9, 2013
Pros: government
Cons: n/a
Not far from Chicago. Learned a lot regarding research methods.
Tribology Department
Tribology Intern (Former Employee), Lemont, ILJanuary 12, 2013
I worked here for about 3 months. I felt very included in all activities. I learned a lot and everyone was very helpful.
Argonne Lab, with it fascination array of scientific programs was my favourite place.
Sr. Engineering Staff Member/Software Engineering (Former Employee), ILNovember 7, 2012
Pros: no freebees, but excellent exposure to science
Cons: the lab will continue to be affected by various fund cuts.
I joined Argonne laboratory at the wake of "Tiger Team" visit. My coworkers and I launched an interesting Environment, Safety and health/Quality Assurance program. Many glaring issues were solved. However, within five years, the QA program was eliminated and I started with control system development team while the new Advanced Photon Source, a powerful synchronous accelerator was being commissioned. I was fascination by every aspect of these mega-projects.I enjoyed the quality of life provided by the Laboratory although salary raises were not very competitive to the open market. Like Fermilab, job security is not what it used to be in the past. I left my software engineering job on my own to work as a Project Manager at Fermilab when a significant opportunity came up at Fermilab.
Unclear Objectives
Safety Officer (Former Employee), Lemont, ILOctober 19, 2012
Pros: good pay and benifits
Cons: unclear objectives and budget cuts
Unclear objectives and budgetary cuts negatively impact this interesting opportunity.
fun job with many interesting characters
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee), ILOctober 1, 2012
Pros: easy going attitude
Cons: knowing it was for a limited time
assist in installation of telephone system. installation of telephone system. management was supportive. co-workers were transient workers and very pleasant to work with. hardest thing was knowing job was finished once system was installed. most enjoyable was meeting people from many parts of rural usa
Significant resources for the work
Post Doctoral Scientist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2012
On the positive side: lot of equipment, significant infrastructures and financing for research. Several scientists from all the world, good access to libraries and papers.
wonderful
Research Assistant (Former Employee), ArgonneSeptember 17, 2012
I like the academic atmosphere very much. strongly recommend!
Very interesting
APS - IT division - Linux consultant (Former Employee), Lemont, ILSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: low salary...
Tackle projects for the APS team. Learned how to program in Python, worked on LDAP and Apache web server migration projects. The hardest part of the job was to figure out the requirements and to make the migration process in stages. The most rewarding part of it was to deliver results and a very stable system.
excellent
Scientific Researcher (Current Employee), ILJuly 18, 2012
excellent place to work; great environment and learning opportunity; all good things but funding often unstable

June 8, 2013

and apparrently age discrimination and jobs for friends and relatives is alive and thriving here,Thank The Almighty for Jesuit based businesses that dont discriminate I and others found a job with a living wage and no age discrimination.I know i had thequalifications and references and wasnt even called in for an interview Now theyre playin games with the review

Fun place to work.
Consultant (Former Employee), ILJuly 17, 2012
Fun place to work. Need security clearance. Good place to learn.
Great location, green scenery, bike friendly
Intern (Former Employee), ILJune 26, 2012
Pros: great location, higway acessable, good people security and paid internship
Cons: expensive lunchroom prices, lots of security clearances.
Worked with the Department of Energy, great experience, awesome co-workers. Onsite housing, restaurants, workout facitlities and outdoor trails through a forest preserve which surrounds the campus.
Overall rating - Medium or a 3 out of 5 stars
TSP - Temporary Service Personnel (Former Employee), Argonne, ILJune 22, 2012
Pros: vacation time, benefits
Cons: culture, advancement, management and work/life balance
Must be scientific minded, not an easy place to adapt to. Once you are use to working there and its environment, it becomes difficult to work any other place. In all levels of administration that I worked in was stressful. The typical day is filled with a lot of work demands and meeting deadlines. The average person would need to know that staying longer to complete these deadlines are typical. There is no such thing as excuses for not fulfilling your work load.

The best part of working there is the vacation time. They give you a lot of vacation time to accrual, plus they are closed between Christmas and New Years. This is the perfect time to go away somewhere that is hot. Sun, sand and tropical drinks!

Work and life balance isn't easy for a non-exempt position. However, if you are exempt its a piece of cake.
Great place to work.. if you have a PHd.
Engineer (Current Employee), LemontJune 20, 2012
Pros: retirement
Cons: lack of appreciation for support staff
Not so great for support staff. There is a lack of appreciate and promotional opportunities. I am a support engineer.
Diverse opportunity, beautiful site, multi-cultural co-workers
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee), ILJune 18, 2012
Pros: great healthcare, workout facility, on-site daycare, on-site hotel/restaurant, excellent cafeteria
Cons: nepitism and favoritism were common.
During the more than 25 years of employment, I held numerous administrative positions. I learned many things: computer software applications, a variety of office machine operations, patience, customer service skills to name a few. Co-workers were varied in both cultural background and education. The hardest part of the job was surviving the "government red tape" as it relates to reporting and documentation. I loved learning about all of the magnificent discoveries made there.
nice place with a ping pong table
Supercomputing Fellow (Current Employee), illinoisJune 14, 2012
good interaction with researchers from other field;
easy access to research resource
Good place to work, but...
Staff Scientist (Current Employee), Lemont, ILJune 7, 2012
Pros: good daycare center, flexible hours, access to good facilities
Cons: no job security, management only cares about hot/well-funded technologies
Your experience at Argonne will depend on which division you are in because each one is managed somewhat independently.
good
Student Researcher (Former Employee), IllinoisMay 22, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: it was only one summer
It was a summer research opportunity job. It was the job that sparked my love for research. It was a school and work program. Since then I have been involved in other research opportunities.
A great experience for my eductaion major
Help Desk/Hardware maintenance (Intern) (Former Employee), ILMay 21, 2012
Pros: leaned allot
Cons: federal work study
I was given hands on experience with technology many geeks can only dream of. The interns added many extra hands on the job than the sysetm administrators had themselves. I was glad to be take part in it.

About Argonne National Laboratory

It takes a lot of manpower to¬†build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy. The – Read more

Argonne National Laboratory Photos