Arizona's Children Association Employee Reviews

Arizonas Children taught me how to be a compassionate case aide.
Case Aide (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 8, 2017
My typical day at work starts with checking emails and answering them whether it was an email to a case manager or a client. I would confirm my visits with the clients the day before making sure I have my day planed. I would then pick up the children either from placement or daycare. I would conduct the visit interacting with the parent and monitoring what was happening before, during and after the visit. I have learned how to properly address any concerns that I may have with my supervisor on a weekly basis.The hardest part of my job is when I have to watch parents ignore their children due to the fact that they were under the influence. The most enjoyable part of my job is when parents complete the process and the children are returned home.
Pros
Make my own schedule. Family comes first, They encourage self-care.
Cons
When the parents are a no-show or they cancel when I have already arrived at the visitation site.
Great people, stressful work, low pay.
Senior Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZSeptember 4, 2017
The culture at AzCA is wonderful. However, the work flow can be stressful, the pay is not great and there is inadequate room for advancement and pathetic tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Great people and culture, supportive management
Cons
pay and irregular work flow
Good Work, Poor Setup
Case Manager /BHT (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2017
If you don't have a family, personal life, kids, or other obligations and are able to work almost all the time for no extra pay, AzCA is the right place for you!
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Variability in you work day
Cons
nearly "required" to work more than your 40 hrs without overtime.
Overall Positive Experience
Clinician II Child Welfare (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZJuly 8, 2017
Overall i would say that working for AzCA was a great experience. the work environment was relaxed and client centered. they allowed for remote work sites which gave flexibility and allowed you to work from home if needed.
Productive and fun workplace with opportunity to think outside the box.
Clinician I (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 9, 2017
This is a great agency. It allows for an individual to be creative and help clients achieve their goals in a fun atmosphere. I have learned new therapeutic techniques to use with clients experiencing a variety of different behavioral/mental health diagnoses. My supervisor is great and works with her employees to help them reach their full potential of a successful therapist. While documentation and administrative work was tedious, the rest of the job makes up for it. Working with the kiddos is amazing and being able to have my own plan and challenging myself to work outside the box is what makes leaving this job so difficult.
I enjoyed my time working for AZCA
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 5, 2017
Case management involves many tasks which require a great attention to detail. I was able to utilize these skills in this job. The staff were very supportive when I asked for assistance.
All about making money for upper management.
Clinician III (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 2, 2017
Not interested in helping clients. People cooking the books on their client booking hours to keep their jobs, Clients "kept" uneccesarily in therapy for years because the therapists needed their booking hours. Therapists using their accumulated PTO to help them make their booking hours so they would not be fired. They stole a day of PTO from me because the accounting cycle had not flipped over crediting me with 90 days.
Pros
None, 78% turnover rate within 6 months.
Cons
Management, facilities, pay, benefits, employee turn over.
Not for me
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coolidge, AZJune 1, 2017
Over worked but things are changing And the balance is getting better but still needs to be addressed . Some supervisor changes are good. I was thankful for the experience.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2017
This is a non-profit child welfare agency. They have a variety of programs and positions that support children and families. It is a great place to work.
Love it here
High Needs Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 27, 2017
The people that I work with are great and I enjoy working with and helping the family's. Compensation could be better. The workplace culture is fun and they try hard to take care of their employees.
Disappointing
Therapist/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2017
Working in mental health is difficult enough without having an overall lack of support by management within this field. Many have opted to leave or were forced to leave due to favoritism by HR towards management that was borderline abusive and at the least...micro managerial beyond words. Accusations by managers stand uninvestigated. The head of behavioral health in the Phoenix region has caused employees to go home crying, massive resignations and fear of having an opinion. The CEO seems to be unaware or turning a blind eye. How can staff that has this type of environment to work in do well with those coming for healing? Amazing employees have left or been let go of...no recourse and certainly never an apology from this company.
Pros
Many good clinicians
Cons
Phoenix management; HR
Low moral
Behavioral Health Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMarch 27, 2017
Call and confirm appts, greet visitors and alert staff of their appts, schedule appts with case managers

Low moral and no organization in the upper levels
More training needs to be offered
Could have better benefits but not to bad
Pros
Somewhat flexable schedules
Cons
No organiztion
High stress with low pay
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 3, 2016
High stress job with low pay. Good for entry level work. Poor management skills. Expectation to complete assignments not in job description. No 401k match poor medical insurance.
It's all about the children.
Medical & Client Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZNovember 1, 2015
Arizona's Children Association has been helping children in Arizona for over 100 years. It's a challenging and continually growing work environment.
Amazing
Recreational Specialist (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZOctober 30, 2015
Supportive staff. Positive energy throughout the office every day. Everyone truly seemed to be there for the right reasons. All of the staff was caring toward one another on a professional level. The office even had a once a month meeting to be updated on all programs in the company, it made it feel like you were part of a whole. We ate food together, everyone pitched in during potlucks, and the office worked together on personal health goals like walking miles and losing weight.
Overall, everyone was very supportive of one another.
Pros
Supportive environment, reasonable pay, respect of each other
Toxic environment. Stay away.
Compliance, Process and Quality Improvement (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2015
Very toxic environment. I was bullied by a co-worker almost immediately after starting. When I approached my supervisor about how I was being treated I was summarily dismissed and told I am not a good fit.

There was no structure to my training. Probably because the department had no clue what they are doing. There were three people that came and left my role before I got there. When I continually asked about this fact I was never given a clear answer. I had so many red flags about working here but I let the salary distract me.

The clinical directors know full well that case managers can not meet the arbitrary 4.5 hours of billed client contact time per day without exceeding a 40 hour work week. When I asked about the veracity of the expectation I was told "they can make their numbers during holidays or before vacations so they can do it anytime." Supervisors are told to fire anyone who cannot keep up and there is a constant stream of new employees to fill the void.

As a RBHA agency they are in danger of loosing one of the contracts because the compliance numbers are so far below expectation. It appears that practice improvement plans are in place but its nothing more than busy work to make it look like something is being done. I spent more than half my time each week in meetings that had no agenda or could have been handled by an email. So much money waste here on mandatory meetings.

I have worked in some really terrible places in my life and this company is the absolute worst, most toxic, demeaning place I have ever been. I was physically nauseated to go into
  more... the office. They might make it seem like they care about employees in the first week but they only care about revenue. Or drinking. There is a LOT of talk about how much they drink after work.

Its sad how they say they care about Arizona's children. Yet the medical records of so many kids are out of compliance with every requirement. I have a very high level of skill in quality improvement and immediately recognized the smoke and mirror act for what it was. It did not take long for them to turn on me when I began to point out process errors and that there are easy ways to solve their problems.

I saw some of the negative reviews here and ignored them. Do not make the same mistake I did.
Pros
Cons
Toxic, bullying, time wasting, high turnover.
Flexible Schedule; High Burn out; Good starter job
Intensive Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 14, 2015
Management is not very supportive of workers. There is minimal to no training so you are on your own when you have to work with families. There is no room for improvement or advancement in the agency. Dysfunctional families get draining after a while. Co-workers are good and sometimes helpful.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No chances to move up; high-burn out; low pay for amount of work you do
Great co-workers
Intensive Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 13, 2015
Great company to work for if you are starting off in the behavioral health field in Arizona. Flexible hours, supportive supervisors.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
Adequate work environment
Special Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZMarch 21, 2015
Long hours, a mix of positive and negative co-workers, inadequate resources, and a lot of negative supervisors. The hardest part of the job was actually getting in touch with a supervisor when needed. The benefits were good but there is minimal opportunities to advance in the agency and a great deal of negative attitude in administration.
Pros
Great learning expereince
Cons
Negative work environment and minimal advancement opportunties
Great working with foster families.
Resource Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2015
While it was a short experience, I enjoyed working with individuals preparing to become foster parents. It was great to view things from this end of the spectrum.