Arizona Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Very stressful workplace
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 20, 2017
Over 18 years I worked in this very dangerous job very stressful and hard to not take work home with you at times....very negative energy around negative inmates who do not respect authority...
Benefits
Cons
Very dangerous job
Back stabbing horrible place to work
Grant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZSeptember 19, 2017
While working at Arizona Department of Corrections, the inmates were the people I found to be the most pleasant, honest and helpful. This was a horrible place to work due to the management in the downtown central office.
its a prison
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 4, 2017
if your in the pin its a good place to work but i dont recommend
going there just to find out cause theres alot more to it then just a job its prison not a place to go.
Pros
free food before and after yor shift
Cons
its prison
Great stepping stone
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 3, 2017
Good Health/Dental/Vision insurance, paid time off and sick leave. Great stepping stone for those who want to join the police department in the future.
i like the environment
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2017
You have to be diligent in ensuring staff and patient safety at all times. fast pace. Great place to work. Great benefits. Not a lot of room for advancement. I am not interesting on doing a survey.
Pros
small envioronment
Great benefits
Youth Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2017
The benefits were great, health and time off. It can be very stressful at times but you do feel like you are making a difference. The management is not so good at times.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
pay, stressful
Stressful
Sergeant of Correctional Officers (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 24, 2017
On any given day, you could see anything and have to deal with it appropriately. The entire unit could be completely calm and operating smoothly and with a matter of seconds, inmates or staff could be assaulted. There may be one or many. It could be as simple as an inmate kicking staff in the leg or someone getting stabbed. No matter what happens throughout your day, normal operations are not put on hold.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Stressful
Athletic & Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 23, 2017
Working at ADOC is very stressful. Upper management has a "good ole boy" mentality. Equipment orders were constantly modified by dep. warden. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
high paced workplace, good benefits
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  San Luis, AZAugust 22, 2017
high paced, responsible work was conducted everyday, accountability of items and inmates was imperative, i learned that you never promise anything you can't deliver to an inmate, we provided for the safety, accountability and welfare of Public, Staff and Inmates in that order, the hardest part was staying over to the next shift if they were short on staff because you had to stay the full shift, what i enjoyed was wearing that uniform with pride knowing i was serving and protecting the Public.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
overtime in graveyards was 10 extra hours
A good job made hard
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Globe, AZAugust 19, 2017
The job itself isn't bad. The supervisory is awful. The communication between supervisors ultimately effects the low men on the totem pole. Being directed to do something and then told otherwise by two sergeants makes the job incredibly difficult. The promotion process is a joke. A 20 minute oral board should not dictate whether or not a person should be the leader for a group. The term fake it until you make it is all that is necessary to promote in this agency. Those who are good get ran out by those who are not qualified to make decisions for others.
Pros
Decent Benefits/ Decent Pay/ Fulfilling when praised (if at all)/ Brotherhood
Cons
Not all supervisors are leaders/ Thankless job/ High stress/ Too political
Job security. horrible supervison
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2017
The department does have great job security, good benefits, and decent pay. The politics within the department are ridiculous and need to be addressed.
benefits
Cons
supervision
Challenging, exciting, great training and opportunity to advance was available.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 14, 2017
D.O.C. was going to be the employment I personally was going to retire with, if I had the chance to get rehired I would. The fellow employees were all great to work around with and I felt the career led to a good pension. Unfortunately my personal hardships with marriage and family became a distraction and it was hard for me to stay focused in this job that needed my full time attention. I regret losing this job, and now I wished it was possible to get back in this line of work. Nevertheless the opportunity has given me better communication skills I use even today, and I have a clear respect and admiration for law enforcement, as they put their lives on the line.
Pros
Great Insurance, 401k offered good retirement.
Cons
Inmate safety, job surveillance required a environment awareness at all times.
Dealing with convicted people
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 13, 2017
Some politics when I was there for overtime. Not to bad for work most of the time. Kept busy, but must watch your back because of where you are located.
Good place, not enough pay for risks taken
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 13, 2017
I enjoyed working there. I gained a lot of experience that carried forward to other employment. I enjoyed the trust of my superiors in my decision making. Staff were fairly tight knit, due to environment.

My only issue was the pay, and inequalities that existed regarding overtime and raises. I had subordinates earning more than me.
Pros
Good solid procedures, good people to work for and with
Cons
Pay, overtime for supervisors did not exist
Fast paced environment
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZAugust 10, 2017
Fast paced environment, where you have to work as a team at all times to get the job done with little resources. A big plus are the benefits provided for employees.
Good steady job
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2017
The job is steady. Working with inmates on a daily basis can be very taxing. Every day is usually a new experience. Having a good/bad day is rarely up to you though.
Good job to start in law enforcement
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 8, 2017
Good job to get into law enforcement, but always short staffed and can be a dangerous place to work. Safety is always number 1 priority any job. Upper Administration is always making changes and expects them to get done without necessary staffing levels. Cant change things without staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short staffed
Security and safety at all times
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZAugust 6, 2017
This work involves a lot of physical demand and lot of motivation from all people that are involved in this team of hard working officers. This is a job I like because it has you moving at all times and your job never ends intill you hit the gate after 12 hour shift.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
No staffing and really insecure with level of staffing
Very Political
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 4, 2017
This would be a very good and rewarding job if it wasn't for all the cliques, good ol boys club, the politics and the rampant sexism.
The people you work with are generally very nice, it is the upper echelon where the problems are.
Pros
Excellent pay and job security
Cons
Rampant Sexism
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 31, 2017
Great place to work, and a great place where you can advance. The have great benefits, and can help you pay for school. The only con of working there, is the danger.
Benefits
Cons
Dangerous