Arizona Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
I have learned a lot working here. Management knows how to treat they employees and pay is great. Everyone is very nice and treats you like family. They are laid back but they also get the jobs done.
Excellent learning environment
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 9, 2016
Absolutely loved this job, though I had to relocate my living arrangement not allowing me to transfer local offices. The clients would be irate at times but simple calming techniques and a soothing voice went a whole 9 yards.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Micro management
Very fast paced office environment, meeting lots of people
Program Services Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 25, 2016
Typical day at work was interviewing, reviewing applications for state services, data entry and customer service calls.

Learned the program operations manual for Family Services through Department of Economic Security for Healthcare, Temporary Assistance for Needy Family, Food Stamp benefit eligibility.

Large pool of co-workers, transfers and transitions were frequent.

Hardest part of daily working was the huge number of persons who required assistance to meet the very basic of needs.

The enjoyable part for me was the opportunity to advise a consumer that eligibility was met and benefits granted.
Pros
Providing much needed services, outstanding benefits, compensation
Cons
Very little growth within the office, overworked staff led to turnovers.
it data center (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZ.July 1, 2016
Managment concerns

lack of respect for dedicated workers.
hardest part of job is understanding management's request.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Managment concerns
stressfull enviourment but the right people make al the diffrence
Program Services Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2016
i enjoyed my time at AZDES the work was easy although policy's and procedures continued to change . there can always be an issue with intrenched leadership who play favorites or to use the term keep vendettas with those who they are supposed to lead

the people i worked directly with and helping make clients lives better made all the difference in an otherwise stressful environment
Diverse work enviornment
TRAINING OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 15, 2016
I loved my job and worked with amazing people. Upper management is poor and not supportive of employees and at times has unreasonable expectations of time management
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Poor, uncaring upper management
Excellent benefits and flexibility with hours. You can work from home!
Field Investigator II- Adult Protective Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
I truly enjoy my career as investigator for Adult Protective Services, however, the salary is barely 40k a year with no raises and there is hardly room for advancement. It is a government job, so that means politics! You basically work you tail off under stressful conditions, yet you're never rewarded for your hard work. In other states this position pays at least 50k, but for some reason, here in AZ it pays much less. It is basically a way to get your foot in the door with the state.
Pros
Company vehicle provided, you make your own hours, weekends off, benefits, lots of sick and annual leave available.
Cons
No raises, overworked, constant turn over, every unit operates differently.
Arizona State Government Agency
Child Support Enforcement Officer III (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 12, 2015
- Appreciated the opportunity to provide and serve the public.

- Enjoyed being part of a team.

- Welcomed the opportunity to apply interpersonal skills in helping
a very diverse group of people.
Pros
Able to work an adjusted work schedule.
Cons
No cost of living adjustments.
Kind personnel
Initial Claims Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 2, 2015
Starting the day drinking coffee and taking claimants calls was enjoyable. I learned that in a nice work environment, workers are more efficient and productive. All co-workers were as if we were old friends. The hardest part of the job was the first call. The most enjoyable was when I applied what I learned in the training.
Pros
One hour lunch while in training.
Cons
I can't find any.
Good place to work, very encouraging to move ahead
Workshop Trainer/CSR Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 21, 2015
The people are enjoyable. The ability to train the supervisors has been a privilege.

Typically, I design, develop and implement training workshops. I also provide on-the-job and on demand training to staff.

Want to know more about Arizona Department of Economic Security?

Ask a question
Nw Beginning Group Homes
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 23, 2015
excellent agency children were well cared for agency took pride in children's education. Easy agency to work for had long term relationships with their residents, low attrition rate of clients.
Pros
Took care of children while providing home like atomospher
Cons
No retirement benefits
Trade your dreams for job security!
Training (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2015
Actually not a bad place to work if you are a professional. The compensation is pretty dismal if you have an education and experience or do something that would get you a good salary in the private sector (this is why they have trouble retaining good talent here).

That being said, the benefits are great. Best insurance you'll find anywhere.

Depending on the agency you work for, you'll have different cultural experiences. Some people are extremely bitter and are vehemently against any kind of change, be it technological, cultural, best-practices, or otherwise.

Some places have a more up-to-date feel, but the salaries are still terrible so don't think for a minute that you'll be able to support a family on your state salary.

Great place to start a career because you can get training in just about anything thanks to a HUGE training library,
Pros
Great Benefits/Insurance, (some) Job Security, (Mostly) Good People
Cons
Incompetent management and employees at times (hard to get rid of the bad ones), not-even-close-to-competitive salaries.
I like helping people
Eligibility Interviewer III (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJune 28, 2015
My last job for the State of Arizona, I was an Eligibility Worker. I interview clients for medical, food stamps and cash. I worked with a great group of people and our team work was great. The hardest thing was not being able to give benefits.
Regioanl Program Manager
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Arizona (8 Counties)June 10, 2015
Manage the day to day operations for all DES Child Care Administration in 8 counties in Arizona. Through 10 subordinate supervisors, monitor daily/weekly/monthly work. Coach & mentor supervisors, work with parents having issues with child care providers or administration staff. Analyze reports for quality improvement initiatives. Complete hiring procedures and mentor supervisors through the process.
Pros
Working with staff and families to find quality appropriatte child care.
Cons
Traveling away from home 1-3 weeks per months.
Challenging
Rehabilitation Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 10, 2015
Working for the Arizona Department of Economic Security had many challenges in dealing both with staff and with clients. I can definitely say no day was typical. A typical day involved addressing both client and staff needs, answering phones, working on reports, addressing requests from upper management.
Pros
Healthcare
Make sure this is what you want to do.
Ongoing Case Manager (Former Employee) –  phoenix, azMay 9, 2015
Social work is not easy. The kids are in the state's care for various reasons but all bad ones, of course. Some parents are uncooperative. Training does not prepare you for any of it.
Pros
Most people are passionate about their jobs
Cons
Too many things to do at once
Demanding Job that Impacts Children in a Positive Way
Case management (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZApril 24, 2015
It is a very high demanding job that allows one to help families who have risks or concerns in child safety get the services they need to get their children back. This does not always occur however and in those cases finding a child permanency in an adoptive home was the key. This would include case management, court reports, investigation, community referrals and meetings.
Pros
Help ensure child sfety
Cons
HIgh Case Load, constant changes, inconsistent from office to office and unit to unit
WIA Section - Administrative Assistance II
WIA Section- Administrative Assistant III - Salary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2015
Nice place to work, Very friendly people. It is a very hectic environment and a lot to learn. The worst part of the job is the training. Nobody to train you, You are along and learn as you do your job. The accounting system is very old and hard to learn. Hope they chance that system for a new and updated version.
productive 24/7
Program Service Evaluator II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 2, 2015
very productive from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. opening claims and / r helping claimants with their issues on their claims. Learned the procedures & rules on unemployment insurance within the state. Management very difficult to get use to as they changed management a lot. Co-workers very supportive & helpful. Hardest part of the job explaining to claimants why they didn't qualify for unemployment insurance or why they had to wait a few weeks for adjudication to come to a resolution on their claim. Most enjoyable helping claimants get their issues resolve so that their claim release of their funds.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
it can be overwhelming at times.
It is all about the kids
Child Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 9, 2015
I was self employed through the state of AZ. I went to the clients home, woke the children, helped the them all prepare for the day, got the older ones to school, stayed at their residence with the younger ones, prepared meals, organized activities, scheduled naps. Picked up older kids after school, Prepared snack and dinner.
Pros
Making connections in the community
Cons
Was difficult on my own children.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Department of Economic Security. Our community is ready to answer.