Arizona Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Regioanl Program Manager
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee), Arizona (8 Counties)June 10, 2015
Pros: Working with staff and families to find quality appropriatte child care.
Cons: Traveling away from home 1-3 weeks per months.
Manage the day to day operations for all DES Child Care Administration in 8 counties in Arizona. Through 10 subordinate supervisors, monitor daily/weekly/monthly work. Coach & mentor supervisors, work – more... with parents having issues with child care providers or administration staff. Analyze reports for quality improvement initiatives. Complete hiring procedures and mentor supervisors through the process. – less
Challenging
Rehabilitation Services Supervisor (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 10, 2015
Pros: Healthcare
Working for the Arizona Department of Economic Security had many challenges in dealing both with staff and with clients. I can definitely say no day was typical. A typical day involved addressing both client and staff needs, answering phones, working on reports, addressing requests from upper management.
Make sure this is what you want to do.
Ongoing Case Manager (Former Employee), phoenix, azMay 9, 2015
Pros: Most people are passionate about their jobs
Cons: Too many things to do at once
Social work is not easy. The kids are in the state's care for various reasons but all bad ones, of course. Some parents are uncooperative. Training does not prepare you for any of it.
Demanding Job that Impacts Children in a Positive Way
Case management (Former Employee), Avondale, AZApril 24, 2015
Pros: Help ensure child sfety
Cons: HIgh Case Load, constant changes, inconsistent from office to office and unit to unit
It is a very high demanding job that allows one to help families who have risks or concerns in child safety get the services they need to get their children back. This does not always occur however and in those cases finding a child permanency in an adoptive home was the key. This would include case management, court reports, investigation, community referrals and meetings.
WIA Section - Administrative Assistance II
WIA Section- Administrative Assistant III - Salary (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2015
Nice place to work, Very friendly people. It is a very hectic environment and a lot to learn. The worst part of the job is the training. Nobody to train you, You are along and learn as you do your job. The accounting system is very old and hard to learn. Hope they chance that system for a new and updated version.
productive 24/7
Program Service Evaluator II (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 2, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: it can be overwhelming at times.
very productive from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. opening claims and / r helping claimants with their issues on their claims. Learned the procedures & rules on unemployment insurance – more... within the state. Management very difficult to get use to as they changed management a lot. Co-workers very supportive & helpful. Hardest part of the job explaining to claimants why they didn't qualify for unemployment insurance or why they had to wait a few weeks for adjudication to come to a resolution on their claim. Most enjoyable helping claimants get their issues resolve so that their claim release of their funds. – less
It is all about the kids
Child Care Provider (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: making connections in the community
Cons: was difficult on my own children.
I was self employed through the state of AZ. I went to the clients home, woke the children, helped the them all prepare for the day, got the older ones to school, stayed at their residence with the younger ones, prepared meals, organized activities, scheduled naps. Picked up older kids after school, Prepared snack and dinner.
I love the Place.
Front Desk Reception/ Clerical support (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZJanuary 6, 2015
The overall office experience is very heart warmingly friendly place to be. I am very comfortable working with the co-workers. And I enjoyed my stay there.
Relaxed Environment, Easy Going Co-Workers
Program Project Specialist II (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, retirement, stable work
Cons: negative stigma, sub-par moral
A typical day would include answering the phones for customer service related concerns. Process requests for clients. Obtain information regarding those requests. Attend meetings, webinars and/or collaborate – more... with multiple parties for statewide interventions. Review projects focused on developing intervention techniques to improve quality of care.
I have learned a great deal of medicaid regulations and requirements through the state. I have become very knowledgeable of dental/medical procedure terminology and coding.
Management is okay. They are not very concerned with internal promotions. Also not concerned with cross training employees.
My co-workers are highly driven, good people. They work hard on a daily basis and do their best at ensuring tasks are completed.
The most difficult part of my job is maintaining a positive attitude in a negatively stigmatic environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my work timely and efficiently. – less
I very much enjoyed this job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2014
Pros: being around friendly people and while working helping people in need.
Cons: there was nothing i didn't like. except when i had to leave.
We worked with people who needed help with the cost of living and how to go about it. In the mornings we had different shifts; paperwork in the morning, working in the front with the people, lunch, being – more... in the front again and at the end of the day we would answer questions. I loved my co-workers, they were fun, caring, considerate people and I enjoyed my days there with them all. I would say that the hardest part of my job was working individual with these people and you hear everything they have to go through in order to survive out in the world. All their stories are touching and makes you want to go out in the world to make a difference in these people's lives. I very much enjoyed working here with all these amazing people. – less
A work place full with diverse people.
Child Safety Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2014
Pros: meeting nice people.
Cons: you may miss your lunch hour
A typical day is going to homes to check on the safety of children.
productive and very pleasant to work for
Personal Evaluator III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2014
well I helped people, I learned allot about people also increased my knowledge of different computer programs and utilized my skills as well.
Nice people to work with, challenging job
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Bullhead CityAugust 14, 2014
Pros: benefits and salary
Cons: challenging and demanding job
Challenging job, get to work with families and children. Benefits and salary are very good.
Great Management, Good Benefits, Low Salaries
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment, good benefits pacjage
Cons: low wages, no bonuses at all, low chances for career advancements
All my years with Arizona Department of Economic Security
I enjoyed great relationships with my managers and colleagues.

The turnover rate was very low.

Benefits (Health, Dental Insurance) were good – more... with very expanded providers network.

I could not say the same about wages (for IT) which were significantly lower than similar wages in the private sector.

Job Security (Personnel Rule) for IT employees were abolished in September 2012 in exchange for small wages raise.

Possibility for Career Advancement exist for younger employees – less
Improving the lives of consumers served
PRC Chair/Human Rights Committee Liaison (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2014
Pros: being able to share my knowledge and expertise with others.
Cons: consistency
I am able to utilize my extensive skills, and abilities while working with a diverse population to help improve the lives of the consumers served.
A bit stressful due to unhappy co-workers
Public Service Evaluator III (Former Employee), Safford, AZJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good health benefits and excellent retirement
Cons: hourly pay is very low
Not a challenging position for me, very routine. Just asking clients the same questions over and over. I interviewed clients for walfare benefits, such as TANF, SNAP and Medical eligiblity, verified and processed changes reported.
one of the best companies
Public Service Evaluator (Current Employee), atlantaJuly 2, 2014
Pros: excellent management
Cons: fire quickly
this is one of the best companies that i have ever worked for in my life they are the best
Disfunctional organization
DISABLE VETERAN OUTREACH CASE OFFICER (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJune 30, 2014
Pros: decent medical package
Cons: leadership are poorly trained and back stabbers for their own political gain
It is a large state organization that has terrible pay, but decent medical package. But they cut out there most experience people because the red tape and political back stabbing is proliferate throughout the organization.
DES - DBME is a challenging place to work
Public Services Evaluator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: a rigid system and an atequated computer system
A typical day would start with me interviewing a welfare client of training a class of employees. While the routine was static the work load and responsibilities were not. When people go on mass exit from their jobs the work load increases to the point of being impossible (it seems) to handle. Some how we get through it however.
Very fast paced and resourceful place to work
Accounting Technician I (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2014
I performed accounting clerical work using automated system, sorting, coding and batching documents for data entry or inputting directly. Filed and maintained fiscal records; complied, reviewed and verified specified fiscal transactions received, calculate, extended and posted fiscal data. Prepared routine transactions reports and performed other related duties as assigned.