Arizona Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Very fast paced office environment, meeting lots of people
Program Services Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 25, 2016
Typical day at work was interviewing, reviewing applications for state services, data entry and customer service calls.

Learned the program operations manual for Family Services through Department of Economic Security for Healthcare, Temporary Assistance for Needy Family, Food Stamp benefit eligibility.

Large pool of co-workers, transfers and transitions were frequent.

Hardest part of daily working was the huge number of persons who required assistance to meet the very basic of needs.

The enjoyable part for me was the opportunity to advise a consumer that eligibility was met and benefits granted.
Pros
Providing much needed services, outstanding benefits, compensation
Cons
Very little growth within the office, overworked staff led to turnovers.
Easy
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2016
Not very challenging work, but good pay and benefits. Thirteen vacation days per year, eleven paid holidays per year and ten sick days per year. Cheap health insurance.
it data center (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZ.July 1, 2016
Managment concerns

lack of respect for dedicated workers.
hardest part of job is understanding management's request.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Managment concerns
Excellent benefits and flexibility with hours. You can work from home!
Field Investigator II- Adult Protective Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
I truly enjoy my career as investigator for Adult Protective Services, however, the salary is barely 40k a year with no raises and there is hardly room for advancement. It is a government job, so that means politics! You basically work you tail off under stressful conditions, yet you're never rewarded for your hard work. In other states this position pays at least 50k, but for some reason, here in AZ it pays much less. It is basically a way to get your foot in the door with the state.
Pros
Company vehicle provided, you make your own hours, weekends off, benefits, lots of sick and annual leave available.
Cons
No raises, overworked, constant turn over, every unit operates differently.
Excellent learning environment
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 9, 2016
Absolutely loved this job, though I had to relocate my living arrangement not allowing me to transfer local offices. The clients would be irate at times but simple calming techniques and a soothing voice went a whole 9 yards.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Micro management
Great Place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
I have learned a lot working here. Management knows how to treat they employees and pay is great. Everyone is very nice and treats you like family. They are laid back but they also get the jobs done.
Trade your dreams for job security!
Training (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2015
Actually not a bad place to work if you are a professional. The compensation is pretty dismal if you have an education and experience or do something that would get you a good salary in the private sector (this is why they have trouble retaining good talent here).

That being said, the benefits are great. Best insurance you'll find anywhere.

Depending on the agency you work for, you'll have different cultural experiences. Some people are extremely bitter and are vehemently against any kind of change, be it technological, cultural, best-practices, or otherwise.

Some places have a more up-to-date feel, but the salaries are still terrible so don't think for a minute that you'll be able to support a family on your state salary.

Great place to start a career because you can get training in just about anything thanks to a HUGE training library,
Pros
Great Benefits/Insurance, (some) Job Security, (Mostly) Good People
Cons
Incompetent management and employees at times (hard to get rid of the bad ones), not-even-close-to-competitive salaries.
Productive Place
Customer Service Representative (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2017
It is great to know that you are really helping people who need help. The staff is also helpful no one should feel as though they cannot receive help.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Typically cold in
one of the best jobs i have had
CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  Bisbee, AZJanuary 29, 2017
working here really got me to know the community as well as local and state laws. It was such a pleasure to work with the numerous Judges the court had.
Pros
familiarized myself with laws
Cons
na
Great office
Human Services Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 2, 2017
Great environment and team, everyone working together to meet the needs of Members. Only left due to moving out of state. I would recommend this job to others.
Challenging but rewarding work
Human Service Unit Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 23, 2017
Love the children.
I respect the families who open their home to serve developmentally disabled children in their homes. They do an amazing job!!
Relaxed Environment, Easy Going Co-Workers
Program Project Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2014
A typical day would include answering the phones for customer service related concerns. Process requests for clients. Obtain information regarding those requests. Attend meetings, webinars and/or collaborate with multiple parties for statewide interventions. Review projects focused on developing intervention techniques to improve quality of care.
I have learned a great deal of medicaid regulations and requirements through the state. I have become very knowledgeable of dental/medical procedure terminology and coding.
Management is okay. They are not very concerned with internal promotions. Also not concerned with cross training employees.
My co-workers are highly driven, good people. They work hard on a daily basis and do their best at ensuring tasks are completed.
The most difficult part of my job is maintaining a positive attitude in a negatively stigmatic environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my work timely and efficiently.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement, Stable work
Cons
Negative Stigma, Sub-par Moral
Great Management, Good Benefits, Low Salaries
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2014
All my years with Arizona Department of Economic Security
I enjoyed great relationships with my managers and colleagues.

The turnover rate was very low.

Benefits (Health, Dental Insurance) were good with very expanded providers network.

I could not say the same about wages (for IT) which were significantly lower than similar wages in the private sector.

Job Security (Personnel Rule) for IT employees were abolished in September 2012 in exchange for small wages raise.

Possibility for Career Advancement exist for younger employees
Pros
Great Work Environment, Good Benefits Pacjage
Cons
Low Wages, no Bonuses at all, low chances for career advancements
stressfull enviourment but the right people make al the diffrence
Program Services Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2016
i enjoyed my time at AZDES the work was easy although policy's and procedures continued to change . there can always be an issue with intrenched leadership who play favorites or to use the term keep vendettas with those who they are supposed to lead

the people i worked directly with and helping make clients lives better made all the difference in an otherwise stressful environment
Great career advancements
Program Service Evaluator 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix ArizonaJanuary 1, 2014
Helping the public qualify for state benefits. Interview eight cases a day, as well as completing cases, or requesting more information. Management is always available to help guide, coworkers are always ready to lend a hand. Hardest part of the job is a family not being able to qualify for benefits and having to tell them. Families we see needed the help, but we have to follow the state guidelines. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping families and giving other resources for them.
Pros
Yearly salary increases as well as positions
Cons
Being timely on a 350 monthly case load
Diverse work enviornment
TRAINING OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 15, 2016
I loved my job and worked with amazing people. Upper management is poor and not supportive of employees and at times has unreasonable expectations of time management
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Poor, uncaring upper management
Nw Beginning Group Homes
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 23, 2015
excellent agency children were well cared for agency took pride in children's education. Easy agency to work for had long term relationships with their residents, low attrition rate of clients.
Pros
Took care of children while providing home like atomospher
Cons
No retirement benefits
Fast paced and always on the go
CPS Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 20, 2012
CPS is a career for those who have a sense of urgency, who like a fast paced working environment, and who can think outside the box. A typical day consists of emails, phone calls, entering case notes, making child contacts, child and family team meetings, and staffing cases with my supervisor.
Pros
great benefits, schedule flexibility, overtime, and vacation/sick time.
Cons
several cases and stressful.
DES - DBME is a challenging place to work
Public Services Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2014
A typical day would start with me interviewing a welfare client of training a class of employees. While the routine was static the work load and responsibilities were not. When people go on mass exit from their jobs the work load increases to the point of being impossible (it seems) to handle. Some how we get through it however.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
a rigid system and an atequated computer system
I like helping people
Eligibility Interviewer III (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJune 28, 2015
My last job for the State of Arizona, I was an Eligibility Worker. I interview clients for medical, food stamps and cash. I worked with a great group of people and our team work was great. The hardest thing was not being able to give benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Department of Economic Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Arizona Department of Economic Security Reviews by Location