Arizona Department of Economic Security

Arizona Department of Economic Security Employer Reviews

It is all about the kids
Child Care Provider (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: making connections in the community
Cons: was difficult on my own children.
I was self employed through the state of AZ. I went to the clients home, woke the children, helped the them all prepare for the day, got the older ones to school, stayed at their residence with the younger ones, prepared meals, organized activities, scheduled naps. Picked up older kids after school, Prepared snack and dinner.
I love the Place.
Front Desk Reception/ Clerical support (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZJanuary 6, 2015
The overall office experience is very heart warmingly friendly place to be. I am very comfortable working with the co-workers. And I enjoyed my stay there.
Relaxed Environment, Easy Going Co-Workers
Program Project Specialist II (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, retirement, stable work
Cons: negative stigma, sub-par moral
A typical day would include answering the phones for customer service related concerns. Process requests for clients. Obtain information regarding those requests. Attend meetings, webinars and/or collaborate with multiple parties for statewide interventions. Review projects focused on developing intervention techniques to improve quality of care.
I have learned a great deal of medicaid regulations and requirements through the state. I have become very knowledgeable of dental/medical procedure terminology and coding.
Management is okay. They are not very concerned with internal promotions. Also not concerned with cross training employees.
My co-workers are highly driven, good people. They work hard on a daily basis and do their best at ensuring tasks are completed.
The most difficult part of my job is maintaining a positive attitude in a negatively stigmatic environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my work timely and efficiently.
I very much enjoyed this job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2014
Pros: being around friendly people and while working helping people in need.
Cons: there was nothing i didn't like. except when i had to leave.
We worked with people who needed help with the cost of living and how to go about it. In the mornings we had different shifts; paperwork in the morning, working in the front with the people, lunch, being in the front again and at the end of the day we would answer questions. I loved my co-workers, they were fun, caring, considerate people and I enjoyed my days there with them all. I would say that the hardest part of my job was working individual with these people and you hear everything they have to go through in order to survive out in the world. All their stories are touching and makes you want to go out in the world to make a difference in these people's lives. I very much enjoyed working here with all these amazing people.
A work place full with diverse people.
Child Safety Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2014
Pros: meeting nice people.
Cons: you may miss your lunch hour
A typical day is going to homes to check on the safety of children.
productive and very pleasant to work for
Personal Evaluator III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2014
well I helped people, I learned allot about people also increased my knowledge of different computer programs and utilized my skills as well.
Nice people to work with, challenging job
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Bullhead CityAugust 14, 2014
Pros: benefits and salary
Cons: challenging and demanding job
Challenging job, get to work with families and children. Benefits and salary are very good.
Great Management, Good Benefits, Low Salaries
Information Technology Specialist III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment, good benefits pacjage
Cons: low wages, no bonuses at all, low chances for career advancements
All my years with Arizona Department of Economic Security
I enjoyed great relationships with my managers and colleagues.

The turnover rate was very low.

Benefits (Health, Dental Insurance) were good with very expanded providers network.

I could not say the same about wages (for IT) which were significantly lower than similar wages in the private sector.

Job Security (Personnel Rule) for IT employees were abolished in September 2012 in exchange for small wages raise.

Possibility for Career Advancement exist for younger employees
Improving the lives of consumers served
PRC Chair/Human Rights Committee Liaison (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2014
Pros: being able to share my knowledge and expertise with others.
Cons: consistency
I am able to utilize my extensive skills, and abilities while working with a diverse population to help improve the lives of the consumers served.
A bit stressful due to unhappy co-workers
Public Service Evaluator III (Former Employee), Safford, AZJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good health benefits and excellent retirement
Cons: hourly pay is very low
Not a challenging position for me, very routine. Just asking clients the same questions over and over. I interviewed clients for walfare benefits, such as TANF, SNAP and Medical eligiblity, verified and processed changes reported.
one of the best companies
Public Service Evaluator (Current Employee), atlantaJuly 2, 2014
Pros: excellent management
Cons: fire quickly
this is one of the best companies that i have ever worked for in my life they are the best
Disfunctional organization
DISABLE VETERAN OUTREACH CASE OFFICER (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJune 30, 2014
Pros: decent medical package
Cons: leadership are poorly trained and back stabbers for their own political gain
It is a large state organization that has terrible pay, but decent medical package. But they cut out there most experience people because the red tape and political back stabbing is proliferate throughout the organization.
DES - DBME is a challenging place to work
Public Services Evaluator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: a rigid system and an atequated computer system
A typical day would start with me interviewing a welfare client of training a class of employees. While the routine was static the work load and responsibilities were not. When people go on mass exit from their jobs the work load increases to the point of being impossible (it seems) to handle. Some how we get through it however.
Very fast paced and resourceful place to work
Accounting Technician I (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2014
I performed accounting clerical work using automated system, sorting, coding and batching documents for data entry or inputting directly. Filed and maintained fiscal records; complied, reviewed and verified specified fiscal transactions received, calculate, extended and posted fiscal data. Prepared routine transactions reports and performed other related duties as assigned.
love working for state!
Case Aide (Former Employee), mesa azMarch 27, 2014
Cons: too many to list
the best employer that i have ever had i learned a lot had a outstanding manager and co-workers the hardest part was having to leave
Not what it used to be
Records Coordinator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2014
Middle management is out of control. No one adheres to policies and procedures anymore. Benefits are still good, but working in a culture of fear is not worth it.
Fun Place to Work
Habilitation Technician I (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: retirement package
Cons: horrible pay rate
The benefits are great; however, the pay rate is horrible! The habilitation technicians are underpaid, but yet they do the most work. The tech's are very under appreciated.
Great career advancements
Program Service Evaluator 1 (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: yearly salary increases as well as positions
Cons: being timely on a 350 monthly case load
Helping the public qualify for state benefits. Interview eight cases a day, as well as completing cases, or requesting more information. Management is always available to help guide, coworkers are always ready to lend a hand. Hardest part of the job is a family not being able to qualify for benefits and having to tell them. Families we see needed the help, but we have to follow the state guidelines. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping families and giving other resources for them.
Nice Place
PSE (Current Employee), Phoenix, AzDecember 15, 2013
Nice place to work, great benefits. Do your job and you will not get fired
Challenging and thought-provoking place to work
Child Protective Services Specialist I (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2013
Pros: excellent position for self-motivator
A typical day within this position included constant contact with youth and families experiencing various situations of abuse/neglect or interaction with the Juvenile Court System. Case management was an important factor within this position as was relationship building and maintaining.