Arizona Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Loved working with the individuals and parents
Human Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZNovember 29, 2017
I loved doing my job when I was left to deliver the services for the individuals I served. Management was micromanagement style in many aspects of the job. I was able to do my job as per job description without any difficulties. Having my experience in Social Services, even if I knew how to assist the family I was instructed to focus only in the person I was servicing.
Pros
Able to take the needed time to serve the members I was serving.
Cons
Too many managers administering the work you do.
Senior Web Developer | Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 26, 2017
Great manager and team-mates. The place has good work-life balance. The work done is helping many Arizona citizens.

Management provides enough time to finish your work. very organised using Agile methodology to finish work
Avaerage
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2017
Being in state government of rover 23 years, the typical trends always repeat themselves. The lack of honest and to the point direction was lacking. Staff often left behind asking questions without answers from management.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZNovember 6, 2017
Daily busy work, teamwork, flexible, hardest is not knowing when you will get a raise or promotion, the most enjoyable is working with caring thoughtful people to work with.
State Employment Has Been Challenging
Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 3, 2017
Support Coordination has been a rewarding and also challenging position.I truly care about my clients and helping to make a difference in their lives.
Unfortunately, the pay is low, my supervisor is extremely difficult to work with, and state policies, procedures, and job responsibilities change weekly.
Pros
Assisting Developmental Disabled Adults
Cons
My supervisor, low pay, constantly changing policies and procedures
Temporary Position
Temporary Position (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2017
This particular Division of Unemployment was a temporary position as the were trying very hard to go paperless and ONLINE service ONLY. Therefore, i always had my eye open for a Full Time Position with the State of Arizona. And I did Find one and Secured it. It was a very busy challenging place to work.
Pros
Good Learning Experience
Cons
30 min Lunch
It's an alright place to start out
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
The benefits are decent, good time off and sick leave, opportunities to flex a week and work 4 10s. However, management is somewhat disorganized and communication is not very effective. The 11% required salary to the state retirement account is not ideal, and the lack of performance based raises is a downside.
Pros
Time off, benefits
Cons
Communication, no performance incentives
Workforce Specialist (Current Employee) –  Show Low, AZSeptember 9, 2017
Everyday was a great opportunity to change a life for the good. Co workers and leadership were always helpful and willing to support in any way they could.
AZ Dept of Economic Security
EDP Computer Operator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 2, 2017
Working at the state of Arizona was a secure job with benefits but most of the time you only received raises if you were promoted to another position.

Very rarely were there step increases or cost of living raises.
Benefits
Cons
low pay
Fast paced office
Case Worker III (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZAugust 28, 2017
Office work, and very stressful and busy all day. Deals with low income community and very satisfying work most of the time. Office staff stays close and tries to make it a pleasant place to work.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
stressful
Career Company
Medical Claims Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2017
Awesome place to start a career. Company offers great healthcare / 401k benefits. Plenty opportunity for growth. The company thrives on cultural beliefs, customer service and work/life balance a priority
Pros
Service
Cons
Hours
DES is a Stressful, inefficient, and inconsistent work enviroment.
PSE (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaJuly 13, 2017
If you like unrealistic work demands, mixed messages on how well you're doing your job, training that's not even close to sufficient enough for the complicated position that is program services evaluator, ever changing office protocols, lots of tiny tiny details to juggle, policy manuals that are like black holes, inefficient computer system for the job you're doing, and whiny self entitled dishonest clients, then PSE is the job for you.
During the interview it will all be about customer service, but this position is a whole lot more than just customer service. I would not recommend this job to anyone unless I wanted them to lose their mind.
Pros
Paid holidays/vacation/sick time. Insurance. Steady hours and consistent schedule.
Cons
Absolutely terrible training, changes in procedure faster than employees can keep up, too much stress on duration times, dealing with dishonest clients, so much stress.
excellent
Volunteer Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ department of Economic SecuirtyJuly 10, 2017
Office environment, at the one-stop-center i got quietened with alot of Customers, was able to expand my knowledge and experience to provide excellent one on one assistance, very open atmosphere relate there needs at there level communicate and answer to what each customer needed.
Pros
was able to use prior experince
Cons
did have access to a computer, where i could log in and assist customers
Contract work. Ended at the end of contract.
Counselor/ Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 5, 2017
Good job. Good supervision. I learned a lot about the job and enjoyed the work. My supervisor was excellent. I liked working with the clients. and would have worked there longer if the contract had not expired.
Pros
Good job. Learned a lot from the experience.
Cons
Contract expired.
Government job
Training Officer II and Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2017
A lot of room for advancement; however, mostly as a lateral move. Lowest pay in the country for like positions. Due to budget cuts, not as many benefits are available.
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 6, 2017
Great place to work, flexible in hours and work schedule, clean place, great fruit, great management team, overall great experience and great place to be
AZDES full of mid managers
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 4, 2017
It is a bad indicator when a government organization has a "CFO" for every small division within the mid size department. In other words, leaders give themselves whatever tittle and pay they want, no care for the organizations evolution.
Pros
High levels of responsibility
Cons
Bad administration
Focus outside of Technology
Director of Business Intelligence (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2017
Innovating technology is extremely slow and the current infrastructure is outdated. Procurement times can range from 3-6 months for small products. Attrition rates are low compared to corporate companies; however staff that have been working here for several years fear change and become complacent at their jobs.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Complacent work environment
Enjoy Child Support Position
Child Support Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2017
I enjoy what I'm doing but no a great position for a younger person. I had to learn to use the DOS soft ware which is very old system. I managed to learn it.
Great office
Human Services Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 2, 2017
Great environment and team, everyone working together to meet the needs of Members. Only left due to moving out of state. I would recommend this job to others.