Arizona Department of Environmental Quality Employee Reviews

PC Specialist / Network Administration (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2018
I have learned a great deal at my current position and have really taken the opportunity to sharpen my skills and learn from wonderful colleagues. However, I believe that I have advanced enough in my skillset to see out the more complex challenges offered by the position at XYZ Company.
No Respect
Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 5, 2017
Don't expect any help or training at this employer. They overload you and leave you to flounder on your own. This is a regulatory agency and they drag their feet to get anything done.
Poor management
Service Desk Analyst, Full time 40 hrs per week (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2017
Must be extremely knowledgeable of internal politics to remain. Just going to work and doing your best is not enough. Must also like games and intrigue. Coworkers are mostly good folks. Overall mood is one that sucks the life from you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Keep on Moving
Environmental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2016
Nothing to see here other than corruption and dead ends. The only thing you will learn is how to fudge facts because the ends justify the means.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
unproductive workplace
(ADEQ), Environmental Science Specialist (Former Employee) –  1110 west Washington St. Phoenix, AZ 85007September 3, 2016
Meetings
don't learn much,
coworkers pleasant
spending time making the numbers look good while the environmental protection suffers.
pleasant coworkers.
Pros
Contributing to Protection of Human health and the Environmental, assisting regulated committee at every opportune moment
Cons
Demorazation of employee by management.
Enjoyable work environment.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoy working for the ADEQ because the work I do here matters. It is a great feeling knowing that what we are doing is making a positive impact for our state and the environment. Everyone who works here takes pride in improving environmental good.
Great Organization
Environmental Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2015
ADEQ's goal is to lead Arizona and the nation in protecting and enhancing the environment and improving the quality of life for the people of our state. The agency helps Arizonans respect the balance between the natural world and the people who depend on it for sustenance, prosperity and a fulfilling quality of life.
To protect and enhance public health and the environmnet
Environmental Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2015
There is a great deal of satisfaction making a difference and protecting our part of the world. Working in the office, the field and meeting people from all over the state keeps the position diverse.
stable but culture nees work
Waste Programs Division (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaMay 18, 2015
It is a very stable job, with flexibility for family and other issues, plus paid holidays. The current culture however is focused on process improvement more than mission work and getting job done. Upper management has lost the focus of agency yet the employees have not. The employee seem to have passion for their work, but are caught up in the process.
The constant changing budget also causes problems and hinders environmental work, but changes have been made to adjust to the shortfall. It just adds to uncertainty when budget are not certain. Employees do their best but budget seem to matter more than the environment.
It is very tough to move up and there are no raises unless the Legislature allows it. They pay very poorly for all the extra work they require, or knowledge you possess. however work has never been taken home and flex time allowed. They not very supportive of telecommuting and do not pay overtime.
They do offer certification renewals if you need and make sure you are up to date. They do value those that have been there a long time and have knowledge, but don't reward or promote them very much. Employee recognition is null.
Benefits and retirement are great. Technology is slow to keep up but useable. A saying is, "The only constant around here is change". It is all in how you adapt to it.
Great oppurtunity to Learn
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 12, 2015
ADEQ may not have the greatest of compensation packages but it is a great place to expand your knowledge whatever your field of interest. There are plenty of oppurtunities for training. The benefits are first rate especially health and retirement. It can be tough monetarily but as I stated before the chances to expand your knowledge puts anyone in a position to make more money outside of the agency
Pros
Benefits, flexibility, learning and networking opportunities
Cons
no COLA, getting gruff for working for the state
Very Political
Environmental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 27, 2015
Not what you know but who. Supervisor was promoted due to not being able to handle working in the field. So apposition was created for him but no one else new of the position until it was closed.
Pros
Not stuck in an office
Cons
very hard to advance
Good work atmosphere
Environmental Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix ArizonaFebruary 3, 2015
Daily work- as a business manager, I provide assistance on budget issues completing purchase orders and change orders, I learned a lot and accomplished a lot of experience over the years, loved to work with my coworkers, the hardest part of the job was to completed all grant applications within the time frame since we had to many prior approvals. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with a lot different people and meet with supervisors and section managers to discuss the budget issues.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Good exposure to regulations
Hazardous Waste Inspector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2015
It's a good job for someone newly out of school to gain wide exposure to local/federal regulations. Leaves something to be desired, though, for anyone with experience in the private sector.
Inspector
Environmental Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2014
• Conduct onsite inspections of Public Water Systems and Wastewater Systems to ensure program compliance with federal and state regulations, including the Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
Pros
Excessive amount of time off
Cons
little to no growth in the professional field
Average
Hydrologist II/III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2014
A typical day would be reviewing technical documents to determine compliance with Arizona Environmental Statutes and Rules, interaction with property owners, facility managers and consultants and attending meetings involving both internal and external concerns. I was able to conduct research on the approach to environmental problems and was also able to study new assessment and remediation technologies. I enjoyed working with staff members and was honored to work with such dedicated and educated people. The hardest part of the job was dealing with non-compliant companies; however, I was able to respect their position and always maintained a non-adversarial role.
Pros
Excellent benefits and working hours
Cons
Lack of upward mobility
Upper management is ruining this department.
Environmental Program Specialist / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2014
This department has been going downhill for the past few years. Upper management has changed everything about the work environment, culture, expectation, EVERYTHING. None of the changes have been for the better. Morale is terrible.
typical day
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2013
learning new stuff every day, on my past jobs, by helping other departments out.
Pros
holidays parties
Cons
working thru lunches
Administrative Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2013
I enjoyed working for AZ Department of Environmental Quality, working with Water and wastewater typing out permits and logged into Data base daily.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a