Arizona Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place to start or end a career
ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2015
There is a relaxed, familial environment here. However things can be way too relaxed to the point that lots of things fall through the cracks; not a lot of accountability for performance. Plenty of government bureaucracy, but the employees are of a surprisingly high caliber. Poor career advancement potential.
Pros
Benefits, collegues, good work-life balance
Cons
Poor management support, no advancement, red tape
Great Benefits
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 9, 2015
The organization is in a change management mode- great for learning and securing specific direction. Work day begins at 6:30am with reviews of various federal and state policies and procedures. Act on information provided and develop a method for distribution. Majority of the staff is in Phoenix, I work in an office Tucson AZ. Hardest part of the job is receiving and acting on current and valuable information.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Challenge to secure needed direction from Phoenix
Strictly Business
CDL Examiner (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 20, 2016
Throughout my 10 years of service to the State of Arizona, Department of Transportation I have grown exponentially. ADOT does it's best to do what it can for employees, however the state can only do so much with what it's given. The state is not private business therefore pay is not what it should be however the benefits are up to par. Working with the public for the majority of my career has been a task not taken lightly, it can be great and difficult in a matter of minutes. Small business is where ADOT strives to put it's best foot forward as the relationships with small businesses are always put first and I truly enjoyed my time working with Third Party.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, lack of support from hierarchy, lack of tools in order to perform job
Construction Intern position
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZAugust 25, 2015
I learned a good deal about how important the cultural and social networking is within a company and how to act as a fellow coworker within that company. The work itself was not challenging since I was working in the construction division though I did discover I needed to learn many new construction terms and be sure to read up on ADOT's Blue Book in order to make sure construction was to specifications and plans. However, I would often not be given plans before I even went out onto the field. From this work experience, I learned how important it is to study certain job aspects after work and that government jobs are different than working for a private company.
Pros
Gained some experience at construction inspection and business culture/socialization
Cons
Construction inspection was boring, my boss acted as if she was my friend, told me I could tell her anything, then used what I allegedly told her against me
Enforcement Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day at work includes providing customers service to external and internal customers. I have learned to handle all kind of difficult situations and it was like attending school every day because I learned something new each day.

The management and coworkers were like a family to me. The hardest part of the job was woking with some individuals that did no follow management instructions.

The mod enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of the customers and their expressions of gratitude for a job well done.
Pros
good healthcare benefits
Cons
not enough advancement opportunity
Great Place to work
Equipment Parts Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 17, 2016
Always busy which make a work day go by very quick. Good upper management and the state offers a lot of training. Great co-workers and employer understands that family life is very important.
Wonderful place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 31, 2016
It was a great place to work. The supervisors treated all employees with respect and made people want to do a great job. I learned a lot about automobiles and have a better understanding of what might be wrong with the vehicle given the symptoms.
Enjoyable place to work
Customer Service Bilingual Level 2 Representative (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
Working with customers throughout the day, looking up and providing information on procedures and option to proceed further. Reviewing information helps me understand more about certain policies regarding the military and my current job with the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT). Moreover, working with management and my co-workers makes me look forward to coming into work. We are each others support and morale. The hardest part of the job is providing bad news, I am there to do my job, and though I am the forefront of providing the bad news, I offer empathy to our customers at ADOT and my service members when working with my chain of command (COC). The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. The positive attitudes and encouragement from each individual.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
N/A
Mvd
Administrative Assistant/Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2016
The hardest part about this job was it was a temporary position. The best part was all the wonderful people I was able to meet and help in that job position.
Pros
All that I learned.
Cons
Temporary
“Do not take a job here!”
Information Technology Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 26, 2012
This agency is very dysfunctional as are most state agencies in Arizona but the favoritism and abuse by management is, or is almost criminal. They figure that they can abuse employees and, because of the economy, they will take it and ask for seconds. My advice to management is:

Reward excellence with individual pay raises. Be on the lookout for favoritism. Communicate with employees instead of just your direct reports. Ask for input from employees not just managers. Audit employee attendance and compare that with their time sheets, especially those with use-lose vacation. Stop the no-raise policy. Stop micromanaging and start helping.
Pros
great benefits, 40 hr week for most but this is increasing, low stress, no discrimination.
Cons
no raises, no career path, mandatory no-pay furlough days, increases in retirement and benefit contributions, taking away previous raises, favoritism is rampant, time sheet fraud is common, morale is at rock-bottom.
Productive work environment with excellent benefits. Strong arena of work ethics and education.
Information Processing Specialist Ii (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaMarch 22, 2011
Working for the transportation authority is a rewarding experience you take with you throughout your life. Working for the State of Arizona offers you excellent benefits and education opportunities. Employees are motivated to work in team units within its divisions providing an excellent product for the citizens of Arizona. Employees are also motivated to move upward in management when the opportunities arise.
Pros
provides mobility opportunities within the state.
Cons
best opportunities for advancement at capitol.
Productive Workplace
Records Custodian/Receptionist - (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 2, 2015
As a records custodian responsible for maintaining employee personnel and benefit files, maintain confidentiality, assist employees and public with employment questions, benefit questions and other general inquiries. I learned a lot about the Human Resources practices as this was my first position within Human Resources.
It's TRUE, the State doesn't work.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2014
Typical day at work in the Engineering Consultant Section ~ Begging for work, visit with co-workers, eat lunch, visit more with co-workers, listen to music, take break, beg for more work, visit with co-workers..

No one knows what they should be doing, there is no structure, no training manuals or tools. Every manager does the same work differently, leaving you pulling your hair out.
Inexperienced Leadership, with way too many politics along with the good ol' boys club.

Department has contracted -Temp & Regular employees with sense of entitlement attitudes - bad behavior going unaddressed.

Pay is horrible, mandatory Retirement System almost 12% of your income.

Benefits are AWESOME of course. Hours were great and my boss was very nice.

If you enjoy doing nothing all day long and compensation is not a factor for you & you are a slacker with a bad attitude who needs benefits, this job is for you.
Pros
hours, benefits
Cons
compensation, employees, leadership, culture
Adot
Transportation Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 21, 2015
ADOT has a rewarding and education freindly atmosphere, with an emphasis on Acountablity Integrity and Respect. It was and is a rewarding job with many benifits.
Pros
Retirement, Education, & Health Care
Cons
Limited Advancement
Slave for benefits!
Highway Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 27, 2012
I worked for state wide striping (org# 9679) as a highway operations worker for almost a year (that's all I could take) It has the A.D.O.T's largest turnover rate in AZ. The two main gentlemen in Phoenix that run the Tucson org. are outstanding respectable individuals.However the lead foreman that so call runs the place in Tucson is an inept, disrespectful,selfish, ignorant, prideful, dishonest (PER-DIEM), Cheater (WIFE) , "LAZY" old man that does not care about anything but a paycheck he is eligible to retire but instead hangs around making honest people's life hell. Do not work for statewide striping in Tucson! you have been warned.
Pros
excellent benefits!!!
Cons
high turnover rates, no morale in statewide striping tucson, poor management
government ineffciency at it's best
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Littlefield, AZOctober 10, 2015
My co-workers are the best. it's the only thing about the job that makes it worth coming to work every day. The system is not user friendly or efficient, they want you to work 40 hours, but do 60 hours worth of work every week.
Pros
not working weekends holidays off
Cons
no potential for growth no matter how hard you work
productive & fun
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 2, 2015
Everyday very productive day for us. Learned more about the construction of the states bridges & roads. Management was really fair with employees. Awesome co-workers. Hardest part of job was leaving my position. Enjoyed working with a lot of different people of different cultures.
Pros
awesome employees
Cons
i was working a clerical position for 3 yrs.
Free thinking not allowed
With Fleet Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2013
Stagnant workplace. No good ideas allowed, Had to ask permission to go to the restroom. Management are quisilings, using scare tactics.

Everyone qualified has left, now with everyone as an AT- Will employee you can smell the stress.

no raises in the future.
Pros
i am az state native enjoyed serving my state, i could have done much more
Cons
lying managment, discrimination, spinless
Good agency
Assistant Division Director (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 2, 2015
Great agency to work for, family friendly and the Director's Office is great. I was able to greatly developed my skills and knowledge,
Learning and career opportunity
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2013
A place in where you have to learn the govermnet culture, have the ability to be educated with the construction field, and have stable employement. The compensation and advancement is slow however you will be able to have a life and enjoy yourself and family on the weekends and holidays.

Arizona Department of Transportation Reviews by Location