Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Have no lunch breaks, can not trust Staff or upper managements
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 30, 2016
Typical day is very busy. Being in the position of Program Manager, is not what they have trained you as. You have no say so in your position. You have to follow what the Clinician's advise in a situation that has the ability of being dangerous. Who is not there to witness what is going on. Co-worker are afraid to do their jobs because of this. They are afraid to do anything to assist the clients. The hardest part of the job, is to keep Clients safe from other Clients. The best part of the job is getting to know the Clients.
Pros
Can advance if you fall in with the click
Cons
low pay wages
People helping people
PROGRAM SERVICE EVALUATOR III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day involved interviewing persons or their representatives to determine eligibility for long term care medical assistance. Arizona does not have Medicaid. AHCCCS is Arizona's comparable. I would follow Federal and state policies and procedures to make a determination. This involved obtaining all their assets, resources, income, physician recommendations, etc. I would accumulate all needed documents to verify and/or request additional records. All information was input into the data system for final processing.
LEARNED: That many Arizonans were unaware of the long term care insurance available to them allowing me to educate them so they could make others aware. I learned that everyone needs to create a will or trust before they become ill to prevent the potential of unscrupulous family members or business partners taking advantage of physical or mental weakness.
COWORKERS: Awesome bunch of people to work with. When I was new I could ask any of them questions or advice without hesitation.
HARDEST PART: Having to deny someone medical care who barely failed the requirements.
ENJOYABLE: Approving an application allowing for someone sick and elderly to be placed in long term care relieving a family caretaker of stress and grief. Knowing that the applicant will be safe and their needs met.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping so many people with the long term care assistance they needed, opportunity to keep the same caseload.
Cons
Clerical turnover.
Productive and fun workplace
Health Program Manager I, AHCCCS (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 15, 2013
It is great to work for this company. I basically started my career at AHCCCS and I have learned andy am still learning great skills. AHCCCS allows you to advance within the company.
overall a good place to work
RN, Medical Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 8, 2012
Management was good in some ways, less than ideal in others. There were things that went on that would not be tolerated in the private sector. In some instances incompetence appeared to be rewarded with promotion and once a manager there was little accountability.
Raises were unheard of, unless the money was immediately taken back in the form of higher insurance payments. Changing positions, even departments, was the only way to increase income.
Flexibility was very good telework opportunities were encouraged in most departments.
During my time there there were massive layoffs, Riffs. But these did not effect me personnally and did not markedly increase the work load of remaining staff.
One thing I very much appreciated was that applicants to the programs were to be treated as "customers", respected and valued. We considered all the people with whom we had contact as "customers". Therefore there was a low tolerance for rudeness and impatience amongst coworkers. For the most part there was a great sense of respect amongst coworkers.
Pros
flexible work schedules and telecommuting options available.
Cons
croneyism in management. low pay relative to responsibility.

Want to know more about Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System. Our community is ready to answer.

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System Reviews by Job Title