Arizona Humane Society Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2016
Horrible Management that fires employees instead of trains them. The organization does a lot to help animals, however bad management leads to bad decisions and many get put down for things that are not the animals fault.
Pros
Saving animals lives
Received animals into shelter
Enter animal and owner (Former Employee) –  Hatcher LocationNovember 17, 2015
Entered incoming animals into system via customer or Field Officers information. Received and recorded donations into system. Gave animals flee and tick baths.
Pros
Working with the animals
Cons
Can't save every animal
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2015
Giving animals a second chance filled my heart with joy and happiness. Staff was helpful and cheerful at all times. Very clean facility.
Volunteering at the humane society
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Laveen, ArizonaAugust 19, 2015
A typical day included feeding animals, giving baths, taking walks, and basically socializing the baby animals, getting them familiar with human contact. I would also greet people wishing to adopt animals, then show them where a certain animal may be, followed by helping with the adoption process. The entire experience as a whole was a great way to learn about animals, what signs to looks for if they become ill. My supervisors we're very friendly and helpful, I only had one less that okay day in the very beginning during a training experience. The coworkers were helpful an extremely nice, we all shared the same goal, get animals a home. I believe the hardest part was leaving the animals in cages, I have a huge heart and am a huge animal lover so I wanted to take them all home with me. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience, I wish I had continued but my schedule got in the way. I love working with animals.
At time had a child w/ ADHD who needed me at home
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2015
Receive animals from people who no longer could care or take care of their animals, take in injured/abused animals from Field Officers. Enter Animal and owner info into computer. Take in donations.
Pros
Seeing people having to give up animals and seeing abused and neglected animals
Cons
Working with animals and staff
Busy work enviroment.
Student Externship (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 9, 2014
Time will fly. There is nearly always something to do so you are always busy. Be mindful what you say to co-workers and managers as it may come back to you. The hardest part of the shelter is 62.
The work environment and management was so poor
Public Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2014
They always made me feel bad when I had doctor's appointments or was sick. The management was very contradicting. One day they would say do this and the next day they would get angry at you for it. I was even made fun of by my supervisor in front of everybody for having to leave when I got injured on the job. I never felt appreciated and felt like they did not care about anyone even people that brought in their pets they were just as down right awful to. I hated going to work every day I worked there. I loved helping the animals and community but the management made it tough to be there. Just look at how often you see ads for open positions there.
Fun, yet challenging job
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2014
customer service, animal intakes- vaccinate, collar and picture animals, then proceed to kennel. adoption returns, euthanasia requests.

relatively good management, but once working with other departments, lack of communication.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
lack of communication between departments
Surgery and post surgery care for animals who were tramatized and homeless.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 12, 2014
It enabled me to provide care and compassion for distressed animals in need. I then assisted with fostering of these animals and their adoptions.
Good overall experience
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2013
Very rewarding ,worked with great coworkers. There is big difference between facility and apartment maintenance. Working in the summer heat was not fun, which was also the hardest part. Seeing a project completed was always big.
Pros
good work enviroment.
Cons
never enough money.
I liked working nights made for stress free environment
Night Custodian (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2013
The job wasn't really hard just time consuming. A typical day was to get to work and get started planning out my night to make it really efficient. Do all my scheduled tasks take inventory stock all supplies and make sure i didn't forget anything. My nights ended at 6 am i would do a final check of property and call it a night.
Pros
low stress worked most of time by myself
Cons
no room to move up and constant change of management
Great Place to work.
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2013
Our work days were very busy. I learned how to handle a many types of animals. My manager was awesome, as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was putting animals down. The best part was the look in the animals eyes when they realized you were there to help them.
Pros
great training, great staff
Cons
putting animals down, seeing how terrible people can be to animals
Apply at your own risk
Maintenance Tech II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2013
Better maintenance jobs in the zip code. Maintenance dept is in shambles..2 fired,1 resigned and another on 3 week sick leave
benefits
Cons
no breaks, hr dept. unaproachable!
Cat Handler
Shelter Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2013
My day at work is well. i volunteer at the AHS as a Cat handler. I help adopters pick out an adoptee who would make a good home for the family and other pets. The co-workers are very friendly to work with. I get along with them very well. I enjoy my job very much
Rewarding days of finding animals homes.
Adoption Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2012
A typical day was
picking up animals from the shelter,
driving them to the offsite,
cleaning kennels and feeding/watering them all day,
spending time with the animals,
matching the right person with the right animal
then driving the animals back and making sure they are signed in.
Pros
rewarding to see the animals adopted, enjoyed spending time with the animals, and talking with people
Cons
most of my day was taken up, hours were in the middle of the day, it was hard to go to school around it.
Keeping my self busy with something that I liked to do
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  tucson, AzApril 16, 2012
I like helping an taking care of animals. I found it to be the one thing that I wanted to keep doing in my life, So I presuded a carrer in the vetarinery field. I am now a certified Vet assisstant from PMI.
Wonderful workplace, compassionate about animals and productive work environment
Bhehavior evaluator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2012
Wonderful work environment, supportive of employees, room for advancement and humane education