Arizona Humane Society Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you want medical benefits for your pet
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2017
Management does not value their employees & there is much favoritism. If you're not liked by someone, you will be let go regardless of how much you care or how hard you work.
No consistency in how decisions are made & who makes them.
Parted on bad terms.
Animal Care Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2017
Beginning of shift was always spent cleaning in one are aor another until front of house closed, then I would be feeding all of the dogs in the different buildings, then doubling back around to collect the bowls and do the dishes. Or I would be assigned to an area like adoptions, surgery, strays, or quarantine and I would be doing kennel cleans for dogs and cats the whole shift for those areas. Occasionally I would get to do computer work moving an animal to the adoptions floor.
Pros
Eventual discounts on animals.
Great place to start
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2017
I loved working thee and learned tons that carried me with my career. There are so many advancement in this company. Lots to do for this place adoptions or tech work
Pros
Great place
productive with the animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 11, 2016
cleaned the kennels when they leave or when new animals come

walked the dogs,feed them,play with them, show people them

talked to people about the animals,

the coworks are like family
Bad management and poor communication between depts
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 15, 2016
I liked working with animals, and other animal enthusiasts, even the animals that were scared. But some of the people and the work environment were bad. The communication was terrible. Not good enough to keep me as an employee. There was a lot of blame passed around and it was going to be very difficult moving up in the company from everything that I gathered. It was all just very stressful.
Pros
Helping animals, some good teammates, being around other animal lovers
Cons
Stressful conditions, poor management, bad communication
Great
Transport coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2016
Same as the other review for AZ humane. Great co workers. Good management. Hardest part is losing animals. Best part watching animals get adopted.
Great and healthy environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 6, 2016
Great warming place. Great people. fun to be there. why do i really have to write something like this. the people there are great and full of energy.
Horrible Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2016
Horrible Management that fires employees instead of trains them. The organization does a lot to help animals, however bad management leads to bad decisions and many get put down for things that are not the animals fault.
Pros
Saving animals lives
Received animals into shelter
Enter animal and owner (Former Employee) –  Hatcher LocationNovember 17, 2015
Entered incoming animals into system via customer or Field Officers information. Received and recorded donations into system. Gave animals flee and tick baths.
Pros
Working with the animals
Cons
Can't save every animal
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2015
Giving animals a second chance filled my heart with joy and happiness. Staff was helpful and cheerful at all times. Very clean facility.
Volunteering at the humane society
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Laveen, ArizonaAugust 19, 2015
A typical day included feeding animals, giving baths, taking walks, and basically socializing the baby animals, getting them familiar with human contact. I would also greet people wishing to adopt animals, then show them where a certain animal may be, followed by helping with the adoption process. The entire experience as a whole was a great way to learn about animals, what signs to looks for if they become ill. My supervisors we're very friendly and helpful, I only had one less that okay day in the very beginning during a training experience. The coworkers were helpful an extremely nice, we all shared the same goal, get animals a home. I believe the hardest part was leaving the animals in cages, I have a huge heart and am a huge animal lover so I wanted to take them all home with me. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience, I wish I had continued but my schedule got in the way. I love working with animals.
At time had a child w/ ADHD who needed me at home
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2015
Receive animals from people who no longer could care or take care of their animals, take in injured/abused animals from Field Officers. Enter Animal and owner info into computer. Take in donations.
Pros
Seeing people having to give up animals and seeing abused and neglected animals
Cons
Working with animals and staff
Productive and Caring
Veternary Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2015
I would tend to the needs of the animals by providing medical care and educating customers on conditions.
I learned that trusting in your team is very important. Being able to trust one another made for a very productive work day.
The management staff were very knowledgeable and always on task to get work done.
The hardest part of the job was not seeing every animal be rescued.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to seeing the animals get the medical care they needed and to have owners satisfied with the end results.
Pros
Trusting in the Team
Cons
Scheduled work hours.
Busy work enviroment.
Student Externship (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 9, 2014
Time will fly. There is nearly always something to do so you are always busy. Be mindful what you say to co-workers and managers as it may come back to you. The hardest part of the shelter is 62.
The work environment and management was so poor
Public Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2014
They always made me feel bad when I had doctor's appointments or was sick. The management was very contradicting. One day they would say do this and the next day they would get angry at you for it. I was even made fun of by my supervisor in front of everybody for having to leave when I got injured on the job. I never felt appreciated and felt like they did not care about anyone even people that brought in their pets they were just as down right awful to. I hated going to work every day I worked there. I loved helping the animals and community but the management made it tough to be there. Just look at how often you see ads for open positions there.
Fun, yet challenging job
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2014
customer service, animal intakes- vaccinate, collar and picture animals, then proceed to kennel. adoption returns, euthanasia requests.

relatively good management, but once working with other departments, lack of communication.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
lack of communication between departments
Surgery and post surgery care for animals who were tramatized and homeless.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 12, 2014
It enabled me to provide care and compassion for distressed animals in need. I then assisted with fostering of these animals and their adoptions.
Good overall experience
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2013
Very rewarding ,worked with great coworkers. There is big difference between facility and apartment maintenance. Working in the summer heat was not fun, which was also the hardest part. Seeing a project completed was always big.
Pros
Good work enviroment.
Cons
Never enough money.
I liked working nights made for stress free environment
Night Custodian (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2013
The job wasn't really hard just time consuming. A typical day was to get to work and get started planning out my night to make it really efficient. Do all my scheduled tasks take inventory stock all supplies and make sure i didn't forget anything. My nights ended at 6 am i would do a final check of property and call it a night.
Pros
Low stress worked most of time by myself
Cons
no room to move up and constant change of management
Great Place to work.
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2013
Our work days were very busy. I learned how to handle a many types of animals. My manager was awesome, as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was putting animals down. The best part was the look in the animals eyes when they realized you were there to help them.
Pros
Great training, great staff
Cons
Putting animals down, seeing how terrible people can be to animals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Arizona Humane Society Reviews by Location