Arizona Public Service (APS) Employee Reviews

This was one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
Business Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2017
APS had good benefits, but the job to have those benefits SUCKED! I had a great leader for a long time, and the most recent leader I had was extremely hard to work with. The job answering phones was terrible. I can't believe that I stuck it out for 8 years. Don't work there, the customers hate you, leaders are horrible, and the targets are unattainable.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else!
it's ok
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 16, 2017
• Hardest .
Negative work environment, lack of experience & work ethics.

• Enjoyable .
Learning new things, Helping others. love what you doing.
Good Company, Great Learning Environment
Corporate Chemist/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2017
APS has allowed me to learn how to manage people. This management occurs in eight different areas around Arizona. My current job involves providing not only technical guidance but also guiding and motivating my team toward success.
Fast Paced
Sr HR Service Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
A fast paced environment offering opportunity to grow. Offers competitive benefits, still offers a company pension.
Outstanding work place!
Nuclear refuel mechanic (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2017
Great place to work if you like the desert. I work a 4/10 week, with Fri, Sat , and Sun off. The plant is about 35 Miles west of Phoenix, Az. Great schools and lots of sunshine. But it does get extremely hot in the summer months for 5 month's running. It gets above 100 in May and stays hot , and does not get below 100 til after Oct 30 .
Pros
4 ten hr work week
Cons
gets realy hot for 5 months a year 115 deg, housing is over priced by 80K.
Get it together
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2016
High turnover with management. Typically contracts out all employees as they cant seem to hire good employees at what they are willing to pay them.

No one is steering the ship so to speak. Can be a very toxic work environment for those not ready to deal with this kind of situation and is extremely political.

You must know everything, from Route/Switch, Firewall/Security to Load Balancers with F5, and Wireless.
Great career
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZSeptember 17, 2016
Very educational and satisfying to work for APS. Company takes care of its employees and customers. Only reason I'm leaving the company is because I was only supplemental.
Great people - Worst IT company I've ever worked for
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2016
This review is for APS IT only - Project work was good. Interesting environment. Worst management ever. People who are used to regular IT work are amazed at the cluster mess that is APS IT. Changing process or even championing for it will result in people just not responding to you in a work environment. Asking right questions has the same effect. Years and years of wrong decisions have left APS IT with the worse mess I've seen in 20 years of systems engineering. Its easier to bolt on some new solution and support that than actually changing anything up and running to a sensible design. Management, as a whole, is terrible. They don't look out for their employees and will throw you under a bus. I had some really good managers, and I had some of the industries worse. They don't listen to the SME's, the upper mgmt doesn't listen to the managers...its a breakdown from bottom to top. People that have been there awhile are beat down and don't bother to raise issues anymore, they just do the deal. Seriously, its not a career place to go. You will learn some new stuff, and meet great people, and the pay is pretty good. but leave before you drink the koolaid.
Pros
decent pay, learning opportunities
Cons
Terrible environment, bad mgmt, poorly executed IT strategies
Outstanding and forward thinking company!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 21, 2016
We focus on stewardship of resources and creating better, cleaner and more efficient energy for our customers. APS is a great supporter of Veterans. Our employees enjoy excellent work conditions, benefits and pay. The company supports mentorship and creating networking opportunities within the many business units through employee groups.
Office Equipment Company
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 1, 2015
Worked directly for CEO & CFO of the company; Daily tasks in Administrative duties; Newspaper for company; small company, very easy going and manageable.
Pros
small company; good pay; great people
Cons
Benefits; 401K plan
Typical day at work
Routine Planner/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fruitland, NMNovember 9, 2015
Planning Team Meeting with Operation to Prioritizes routine work orders. Then, Planners develop a complete work packages with materials & supplies, manpower, budget and schedule. Department meeting to identify high maintenance equipment and develop project work orders with budget / timelines and show rate of return. The Planners interacts with Maintenance Department, Accounting, Engineering, Operation, Contractors and Supplier to ensure all project work can be schedule without impacting other units or causing load reduction. Workload is heavy and stressful due to under staffing caused by decommission of 3 units, we have to cover each other when someone is out of the office. Planner spent more than 40 hours at work without compensation due to being exempt employees. Management is marching to the Executive Management's drum beat to cut budgets and reduce manpower however, work must continue. Executive Management are marching to please the Environmentalist that are against Coal fired plants.
Pros
Contractors are starting to using their own Planners
Cons
Work / Life balance: Work out weighs Life.
APS great employer if you are planning this to be your last job before retirement
Senior Database Marketing (Current Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 16, 2015
APS is a utility, many senior level employees, with a lot of experience. The company is very supportive of educational opportunities and has a focus on developing younger employees with the emphasis on long term opportunities. Although this a power generating business, there is opportunity in finance, accounting, legal, supply chain, corporate communications. Management is a pendulum - some really good managers and some bad managers with few in between.
great environment
Warehouse lead (Former Employee) –  Buckeye,ArizonaAugust 18, 2015
Very nice place with super people. great hours great benefits and close to home.company has great record of employee training
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
work time not long enough
Productive and Energizong
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2015
Provided customers in the metro and rural areas with Electricity. Provide customers with the best plan to meet their home and family needs. Troubleshot meters and maintain maintenance of all poles, wires, etc. The environment was upbeat and production averaging a call volume of 500 call per Customer Service Rep during peak summer season.
Pros
location
Cons
Short breaks
7 month contractor
Instructional Designer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2015
As a contractor, I was not truly part of the company which was both good and bad. The employees should treat contractors with more respect, we are hired to do a temporary job not take their job.
Pros
Interesting topic which made creating training interesting.
Cons
Parking is expensive and the alternatives put a female in a safety risk.
Productive workplace nice people
(Contractor), Senior QA Systems Analyst Tester (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 18, 2015
I was a contractor, i was hired for a specific project. the project ended my contract ended. Overall i enjoyed the work,my co-workers were nice
Outstanding place to work great co-workers
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZ and PVNGSApril 28, 2015
Their was always an interesting project to work on. The workforce was full of great people. The Management would always listen to our concerns most of the time issues deal with in a good way, pay was very fair.
Pros
Great working envorment, outstanding co-workers
Cons
long hours on occacctions
Periodic Purges
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2015
Old-timers at APS/Pinnacle West had been through multiple downsizings or reorganizations throughout the years.

When the CEO is an accountant the company stock prospers, but system maintenance goes to suffers.

When an engineer runs the company, maintenance is adequate but the stock suffers.
Some great guys to work with
Crew Leader/ Foreman (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 3, 2015
If you like working for management who care nothing for their customers and alot about themselves then you will like it here!! They also place people in positions that have no experience and expect the field people to train them. They show no interest in promoting from within with qualified people. If you are hard pressed for a job and can eat alot of c--p WECOME!!!!!
Pros
Hot weather in summer Cool in winter
Cons
Will let you work through lunch and not pay you for it.
Good company.
Water Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2015
I was an intern at APS for 3 consecutive summers. I liked the internship very much, but I believe the company, as a whole, has a some work to do in terms of their company culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Public Service (APS). Our community is ready to answer.

Arizona Public Service (APS) Reviews by Location