Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield

Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Providing case management services for large self-insured US employer.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2015
Established managed health care company. Competitive salary and benefits. Based in Little Rock, AR. Work alongside experienced and compassionate registered nurses providing comprehensive case management services. A chance to enhance your skills as a case manager and utilize your nursing experience.
I loved working with as many people that I did and learned al lot.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 2, 2016
Would have a 5-10 min meeting before we got on the phones and started taking calls from providers and customers, Would work on follow up and return phone calls from other insurance companies, providers who ever else that might call.
Pros
The feeling I got when I knew I helped a person who really needed it.
Cons
Having to end my time with them
Customer Service Trainer/Curriculum and Course Dev (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 19, 2015
Good company to work for in regards to benefits but advancement opportunities are less than favorable. Advancement is most times contingent on who you know and not what you know. An employee's character, work ethic, and ability to perform is not a matter of first hand observation but rather judge on hearsay creating an disproportionate fair opportunity for advancement.
benefits
Cons
advancement practices
It's all about serving members
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  N Little Rock, AROctober 22, 2015
I enjoy helping others and this company allows me to do so. I'm searching for an opportunity to work more independently as an analyst or researcher.
Outstanding Company to be employed by...
Purchasing Forms Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2015
Good to work in BCBS and have good work culture. Work environment is good and learning wise it is very good place. Coworkers are very helpful in resolving the questions and helping.
Answered this question- worked with patients and hospitals
Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 12, 2015
I worked with patients, families, nurses, acute facilites, long-term, and rehabs and nursing homes. Made sure transfers were successful, that no one got lost in the system, and that the appropriate case manager was able to help them with the transfers and costs.
Pros
helping people who were ill and couldn't help themselves
Cons
emotionally draining, but helping people was worth it
Excellent company to work for
Claims Processor and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 7, 2015
I started as an entry level customer service employee with excellent training. I transferred to claims so I could understand the procedures of claims processing.

As a claims processor, I worked from reports until the company started using a system that assigned claims to each processor. I was trained to work a claim from start to finish including ordering and reviewing medical records when necessary.

I received excellent quarterly and annual reviews so I was able to telecommute once the company updated systems to make that possible.

I was a team lead for two years and interacted with management on a daily basis. During that time I was able to assist my co-workers and my supervisor daily also.

I enjoyed my years at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield but I wanted to move to Florida
Pros
excellent training and opportunities.
Cons
computer systems were not always reliable.
Great Benefits, fun place to work. Truly enjoyed working for the company!
Reopening Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 4, 2012
Great Benefits, fun place to work. Truly enjoyed working for the company!
Challenging but repititive work with poor management
Nurse Navigator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 20, 2013
A typical day included assigning or denying case management to Blue Cross Blue Shield members in order to save cost to the company. It also involved taking calls from members or providers mostly related to benefits or claims information. It is not encouraged to speak to any of your coworkers unless you are on break or at lunch, there is no actual training program or qualified preceptors due to management doing away with the program to save money, and it is highly advised to hand tally the amount of assignments done throughtout the day. Apparently, despite all records and documentation being electronic, management can still accuse employees of low or no production.

Supervisors are generally hard to find, despite the fact that their office is mere feet away. Calling, texting, emailing, or simply chasing them down makes no difference. If a supervisor walks past during the day it is best to catch them quickly and address all issues at once. If the employees are unlucky, the supervisor walking the floor will have absolutely no idea how to answer any questions. Word about changes in policy, case manager changes, or anything else important to the day's assignments usually comes hours later than is useful. Most times employees would need to search through many records to make corrections, without stopping productivity of course. Supervisors walking around the work area would randomly make assumptions without asking for clarification. For example, resting or squinting your eyes due to computer glare to them meant that an employee was sleeping, asking for clarification of an instruction
  more... meant resistance, and being over productive meant intentionally taking work away from others. The coworkers are down to earth and have the typical distrust and frustration that come with having poor management.

The hardest part of the job was trying to work around the poor communication from management, but otherwise the job was easy despite being somewhat boring.

The most enjoyable part of the job was walking around downtown during breaks.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
poor management
Keep your head down and just work
Utilization Review (UR) Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2013
There isn't much more of a stable job in Little Rock than ABCBS. That's about the most positive thing that can be said. Their culture is built on fear of losing a good job and so most new employees lose that "sparkle in their eye" pretty quickly. If you don't mind having the threat of your job being pulled out from under you at a moments notice just because you suddenly don't fit managements idea of a "good" employee then this is the place you want to be.
Pros
stable job
Cons
fear

Want to know more about Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield?

Ask a question
Very forward thinking company, kept internal and external customers in their focus
Group Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 23, 2015
Large volume of calls and emails regarding multiple issue in handling of health insurance policies. Maintained all hippa requirements. High quality of customer service very important.
Reactionary management and chaotic policy changes
BANA line of business (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 31, 2014
If you would like to subsist on a diet largely composed of Rolaids, this is the place for you! Change the motto from "Live Fearless" to "Work Fearful."
Pros
stable company
Cons
knee jerking and hand wringing abounds
Productive and well organized company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 6, 2013
This is a very stable company. They support career development.
Pros
educational opportunities
Cons
the pay could be a little better.
No Comment
Medicare Reopening Specialist (Part A / B (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 25, 2013
No Comment

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
working with the customers
Customer Service and Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 25, 2012
I would spend all day answer phones helping doctor's and patients with there bills, selling medipak to senior's
Pros
the customers
Cons
lack of management personally
Current Position
Managed Care Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2014
I have worked for Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield for 20 years and enjoy health insurance industry. Customer service is first priority and should be at any position. Ready to make a change and would love the opportunity to work as a Flight Attendent.
Productive, and a great learning experience
BANA Rep (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2014
Verifying Insurance, It was an alright job, typical call center, it just was not for me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.